PDA

View Full Version : where were the dwarfs?

OllieC23
27-03-2009, 16:24
Ive not read the books, only seend the films. Can anyone tell me why the dwafs wernt at the final battle of the last alliance? It seems a bit odd they werent as the outcome would affect them aswell!

thanks ollie

Rirekon
27-03-2009, 16:28
They're idiots.

I can't remember the exact reason but it's something along the lines of them deciding they'd rather defend their strongholds and they don't care what happens to the race of men as it's their fault in the first place... or something like that.

OllieC23
27-03-2009, 16:47
ok, Kinda thought that might be it as they are greedy buggers.

When the fellowship were in Balins tomb. Was that the only mine that was destroyed or does it imply most of the dwarf holds were aswell?

thanks

Nuada
27-03-2009, 16:49
There were dwarves at the last alliance of men and elves battle (despite the title of the battle) Some of durin's line were there, and dwarves of other houses

Just noticed you said final battle and last alliance, did you mean last alliance?

Nuada
27-03-2009, 17:02
Was that the only mine that was destroyed or does it imply most of the dwarf holds were aswell?

thanks

Yes a lot of the dwarven realms were destroyed. Just going from what i remember here, so might be a little bit wrong.

There were 2 in the Blue Mountains (Nogrod and Belegost) they were destroyed in the First Age by Morgoth

I think dwarves used to be in the grey mountains IIRC but probably ran from dragons (because it’s right next to the withered heath)

The Iron Hills are still going, and there was the Lonely Mountain (they will be in the new Hobbit film)

can't think of any more

static grass
27-03-2009, 17:02
The dwarfs were exhausted by clearing the misty mountains and did not fight in the battle of the last alliance at the end of the second age.

So far as I can tell there are no notable dwarf colonies outside the iron hills and the Blue mountains by the end of the third age. could be wrong though.

OllieC23
27-03-2009, 17:42
There were dwarves at the last alliance of men and elves battle (despite the title of the battle) Some of durin's line were there, and dwarves of other houses

Just noticed you said final battle and last alliance, did you mean last alliance?

I think so. Whatever the battle was at the beggining of the fellowship film.
It didnt show any dwarfs in it.

thanks for your help though

Nuada
27-03-2009, 22:04
Yes, that's the last alliance battle. With sauron as a black knight :) (love that part of the film) Yes in the books there were dwarfs present, but not in the film

lorelorn
28-03-2009, 03:25
During the War of the Ring the dwarfs:

Stayed at home due to threats from Sauron (Iron Hills)

Retook Moria from the Goblins

Allied with the Men of Dale to defeat a large army of Easterlings and Orcs. They won the battle but the King of Dale and Dwarf king were both killed in the fighting so both sides withdrew. This is the alliance Gandalf was working to create in The Hobbit. The evil army withdrew to Dol Guldur and Galadriel went there and took the place apart stone by stone.

This is covered in the appendices of the book. They were kept busy.

jaws900
28-03-2009, 07:32
I belive they are fighting in the north and Dain dies (Spoiler!!)

The Muster of Rohan
28-03-2009, 12:14
Hmm. There seems to be some confusion here, doesn't there? The original question was regarding the War of the Last Alliance. Let's take an academic approach and refer to source material. "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" from The Silmarillion states of the host of Gil-galad and Elendil:

From Imladris they crossed the Misty Mountains by many passes and marched down the River Anduin, and so came at last upon the host of Sauron on Dagorlad, the Battle Plain, which lies before the gate of the Black Land. All living things were divided that day, and some of every kind, even of beasts and birds, were found in either host, save the Elves only. They alone were undivided and followed Gil-galad. Of the Dwarves few fought upon either side; but the kindred of Durin of Moria fought against Sauron.

There was a seven-year siege of Barad-Dur after this, and we don't know what happened to the Dwarves during that time. The battle shown in the prologue to "The Fellowship of the Ring" movie is at the end of these seven years.

So...yes, they fought with the Last Alliance, but we don't know if they stayed for the (slightly lengthy) siege.