PDA

View Full Version : What's the background on this?

Vet.Sister
27-03-2009, 17:48
From the IG Rumors IV thread...

Devil Dog: 120 pts
Tank, Fast.
Heavy Bolter, Melta Cannon
Devildog 3 12 12 10
Melta Cannon 24 8 1 Small blast, Melta

Any tank may replace Heavy Bolter with: Flamer or Multi-Melta. Add Extra Armour, Searchlight, Heavy Stubber, HK Missile, Dozer Blade.
The entire squadron can buy Smoke Launchers or Camo-Netting.

1) did this tank exist in the RT rule set, or perhaps 2nd edition?
2) has this tank been written about alot in recent GW 40K novels? (say 2-3 novels at least)
3) what about the "MeltaCannon" in particular, is that a RT thing??? 2nd Ed. thing???

OR... is this a case of a designer thinking the above tank idea is just kewl-beans, and made some rules for it just recently?

Bloodknight
27-03-2009, 17:56
1: no.
2: never read of it before
3: it's basically what the standard Multimelta used to be in 2nd edition, 24" range and a blast marker.

Kewl-beans is probably closest to the real answer...

Boss Kopstud
27-03-2009, 18:30
Back in 2E, Mutli-meltas used the small blast marker (but it was the real small one, 1.5" diameter), and could also be fired as a heavy flamer IIRC (or was that just when it was ona dread...), so maybe harkening back to that? But as far as a Chimera with a Multi-melta turret, your guess is as good as mine for source.

sabreu
27-03-2009, 18:38
Remember...everything in the codex' aren't the scope of what every army has. Their are tons of things unrepresented in 40k that exists in the 40k universe. So when they pull new things out, not only is the game involving rules wise, but your getting more and more of a view of the background.

For more stuff that isn't in 40k, check out all their supplements like Epic or gothic and you'll start digging up vehicles and units that just sound uber cool but have no rules afaik.

And um...but yeah, chimeras with a new weapon...::shrugs:: It's kewl!!

Captain Micha
27-03-2009, 18:40
The Devildog follows the rule of Cool.

Ishmael
27-03-2009, 18:42
The background for it is this: It always should have existed.

Think about it, there are plenty of forgeworlds out there. There are plenty of different weapon configurations. The idea is that Guard regiments across the galaxy have different combat doctrines and rearrange their gear in such a way that it fits their style of fighting. A while ago there were no rules for a pintle mounted heavy stubber either... when that came around didn't people say "hmm... makes sense, prolly shoulda been there all along"?

Same principle.

Bloodknight
27-03-2009, 18:44
Back in 2E, Mutli-meltas used the small blast marker (but it was the real small one, 1.5" diameter), and could also be fired as a heavy flamer IIRC (or was that just when it was ona dread...),

Multimeltas used the 2" radius blast in 2nd (there used to be 1", 1.5", 2" and 3" radius blasts in the regular game). The heavy flamer mode existed only on dreadnoughts.
That really small blast was IIRC only used by shotguns in frag mode and the Griffon's Melta grenades (and as part of the multiple blast marker Thudd guns and the Tyranid venom cannon used).

sabreu
27-03-2009, 18:47
Isn't the reason Forgeworld started making new models was to show how many different variants exists that aren't in the main rule books? Just a random point.

MadJackMcJack
27-03-2009, 19:48
It could just be an original idea. GW do have them sometimes.

TimLeeson
27-03-2009, 19:57
It could just be an original idea. GW do have them sometimes.

Yeah, thats what the backround races are for.

Vet.Sister
27-03-2009, 22:40
Well, I'm really interested in how the actual version appears in the codex... Mainly because the last time I suggested that a MultiMelta get some kind of template/blast marker, I was shouted down for wanting all weapons to be the same.... namely Plasma Cannons and MultiMeltas. :mad:

Bloodknight
27-03-2009, 22:53
As long as they keep it as a tank - and especially Guard - only weapon it's ok. (Although I somehow smell SM getting this in their next codex. On a tank with 4 of them, twinlinked.;)).

Mainly because the last time I suggested that a MultiMelta get some kind of template/blast marker, I was shouted down for wanting all weapons to be the same.... namely Plasma Cannons and MultiMeltas

Well, it used to be. But then, the plasma cannon had two firing modes (S7 every turn or S10 every other turn) and a smaller blast than the MM. Since they did away with a lot of different blast markers between 2nd and 3rd edition, weapons were bound to be more same-y...

Vet.Sister
28-03-2009, 21:53
As long as they keep it as a tank - and especially Guard - only weapon it's ok. (Although I somehow smell SM getting this in their next codex. On a tank with 4 of them, twinlinked.;)).

Sadly, my proposed MeltaCannon (practically a carbon copy of the one on the rumored Devil Dog tank) was NOT for the Imperial Guard. I thought it would make an excellent addition to Battle Sisters to fill the Fast FOC slots that are so lacking. Now if the IG get it in their codex, it is almost assured that it won't appear in the next WitchHunter codex.:mad::mad::mad:

the1stpip
29-03-2009, 01:57
Or maybe it is a one-off fiield conversion, that has caught on. like the LR Crusader.