PDA

View Full Version : What army to use for 300

Vam2tic
27-03-2009, 18:03
Hey i love the movie 300 and was thinking is it possible to do a three hundred army. Now the two candidates that i have is either using WoC and making the three hundred spartans be represented by mauraders and Leonidas being a Exalted Champion and his friend Captain Artemis As an Aspiring Champion.
The other option is the use of empire. Now the thing is that Leonidas will be a general of the empire but only equipped with a shield and light armour(maybe not even light armour :D ) and then the magic items will be the sword that gives +2 Strength and the item of a 4+ ward save to represent the necklace that the queen gives him. Captain Artemis will be a normal captain kitted out like the king with only a shield and possibly a fighty weapon.

Now the big problem is with empire do i use the models that i will be converting to be spearmen or swordsmen as both are used in the film?

If anyone has any ideas please reply and i would love to know what army book you think is best for this army and would you like to play this army seeing 200-300 soldiers coming towards you (Hopefully if i can fit that many in 2250-2500 points :D )?

Thanks and please reply swiftly ;)

Vam2tic

Bum
27-03-2009, 18:22
I did Empire Spearmen, I got 298 of them in units of 25 with full command in each, then the General of the Empire with the equipement you said and a Captian with no stuff yet and it came 2243.

Just as an FYI.

You could drop a unit champ here or there and knit out both characters.

Good luck painting all that though, I hate after clanrats 150.

Keller
27-03-2009, 18:23
Empire could represent them (and you can even get 200-300 models in a game if you wokr at it) but would be a little underpowered. Empire relies on its versatility to be effective; if you take out their knights, archers/gunners, machines, etc., you are going to have a very hard time winning.

If you want to stick with the movie-theme, you're best looking to other races. WoC would be good, since they can out-preferm most people in the combat phase without tricks. High Elves would be good, since their spearmen are ASF it could represent their eleite training rather well, as would their high WS and LD.

Come to think of it, most any army could work for the theme. Dwarves could even be used to represent the stalwart, rock-hard warriors of Sparta rather well, since they have high toughness, WS, and Ld.

I guess I'd suggest HE or WoC.

Braad
27-03-2009, 19:09
I say: make up your own rulesset!
Include things like turtle-formation and throwing spears. Could be very cool, and you don't need much units in it :)

Lord Malorne
27-03-2009, 19:13
They used the phalanx, not the testudo.

Ungor spear arms are an idea on the marauder bodies, the deformed follower-wannabe-spartan would make a good chaos spawn.

RohanCaptain
27-03-2009, 20:19
I noted you have a kick azz wood elves avatar, so why not Eternal Guard with a highborn Alter as Leonidas.

I think that Eternal Guard models look the closest to the Spartans, the helmets are very similar. You get spears, just like they used, finding empire shields to put on all painted copper woudlnt' be a hard thing to do, and while the highborn cannot be your general, take an alter as general, leading another unit, and he can be a captain, like the guy who's son got killed. These guys ain't the toughest, I agree, but have awesome fighting abilities like Spartans.

If you ever do this, take pics and post please :)

I'm a wood elves player as well (love the army), and I've actually thought about doing this. I just need the time and money now.

pootleberry
27-03-2009, 20:32
I'd go for WoC armed with halberds and shields. I'd possibly modify the look of the halberds, so they more closely resembled spears, but I'd still use them as halbards. The Spartans were the elite professional fighting force of that era, and I feel the WoC would provide the punch needed to reflect them in Warhammer.

Still, 300 Chaos Warriors is going to be expensive...

kris.sherriff
27-03-2009, 20:37
I would go for High Elves as you have the Spearmen in the list and ASF gives them an elite feel.

Kris

Lord Malorne
27-03-2009, 20:45
@Rohan captain, alters cannot be the general.

The spartants did not have as many victories as they did through brute force, it was training and discipline that one the day, the vast majority of them would rather die than retreat, which in a militia culture made them top dogs, eternal guard would work really well, though if you actualy want to field 300 men in a normal game, then empire or chaos is the way to go.

Lord of Skulls
27-03-2009, 21:27
While an army based on 300 could be cool, I don't think you really need to add 300 models to get it across...

My idea would be to use the WoC list, with a couple of units of Warriors (armed with halberds and shields) as the Spartans, and a Chaos Lord as Leonidas. You can then fill up the rest of the points with Marauder units to represent the Thespian troops.

That way you could get an army that followed the look from the film, while still being competitive. And the Spartan troops will have stats that do them justice;)

slingersam
27-03-2009, 21:37
I was reading this battle report
and a man actually made a full
300 army. He used the high elves
rules and then made his own
models, it was done quite nicely

O&G'sRule
27-03-2009, 21:39
give them swords with the spears on their backs or visa versa. then your fluff is covered and the unit is what you want. I'd use Marauders personally, they look 300 ish

Edit
27-03-2009, 21:45
do you want them to be human? saurus warriors w/spears would make good spartans, phalanx style combat, tough, hard to break, and generally going to be outnumbered?

Skywave
27-03-2009, 22:02
I did such an army with army builder not long ago, I used WoC with marauder, those spartan need WS4 :p I got 300 model exactly, at a flush 2000pts! Only 1 character though, but you could use a normal champion for Artemis. I have no plan to do this army, but the idea was too good to not design a list :p

Anaris
27-03-2009, 22:02
Most '300' themed armies that I've seen are done using the Wood Elves book.

Dryads and Wardancers mainly (with counts as models of course).

The Beast Walks Among Us
27-03-2009, 22:05
I think trying to put 300 models on the table would go against the hisorical theme of the battle. You would outnumber almost all armies, and the battle of Thermopylae is so famous because so few stood against so many. A small elite force would be more appropriate, I like the wood elf eternal guard suggestion.

Tokamak
27-03-2009, 22:32
High Elves come closest to the Spartans indeed. Though, for models I would use marauders.

Heck, just use marauders with high elf rules (MIND the unit bases)

Awilla the Hun
27-03-2009, 23:08
Bretonnian Men at Arms! That way, you may be able to fit them into a 2000 point list, which seems virtually impossible with all the other options.

jullevi
27-03-2009, 23:36
As mentioned by few posters, you don't want to field 300 models. You want to field a small elite force that is always outnumbered but hits like a ton of bricks and fights until the very end. Not 300 goblins who run away most of the time.

I second the suggest of Wood elves. For miniatures, Spartans (http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/list_items.asp?CatID=30&SubID=43&pageHeading=Items%20-%20Miniatures%20-%20Olympus) might be a good start? There are certainly other manufacturers that produce suitable miniatures as well.

Dragonreaver
27-03-2009, 23:54
Leonidus: Chaos Lord of Slaanesh, halberd and shield
Artemis: Exalted Champ of Slaanesh, halberd and shield
Aspiring Champ of Slaanesh, BSB with the banner of musk or whatever (the half WS and Int vs. this unit one).

19 Chosen Warriors of Slaanesh, shields, halberds. For the BSB.
2x 20 Chaos Warriors, shields, halberds, for the other two chars.
2x 15 Marauders, as the thespians.

Still gives you 30ish points to play with for special gear for your characters. That'd be my base list.

Also, Awilla... 30 units of 10 marauders with a cheap Exalted Champ and an Aspiring Champ is only 2012 or so ;)

Witchblade
28-03-2009, 00:34
As mentioned by few posters, you don't want to field 300 models. You want to field a small elite force that is always outnumbered but hits like a ton of bricks and fights until the very end. Not 300 goblins who run away most of the time.

I second the suggest of Wood elves. For miniatures, Spartans (http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/list_items.asp?CatID=30&SubID=43&pageHeading=Items%20-%20Miniatures%20-%20Olympus) might be a good start? There are certainly other manufacturers that produce suitable miniatures as well.
Seriously, this post contains the answer as far as models are concerned.

http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/image_details.asp?ItemID=450&Page=2

W0lf
28-03-2009, 01:59
Chaos warriors or Ogres with man-sized models on the base.

You dont need 300 models for it to be the 300.

Although i did once see a Goblin '300' style army with 300 models. That was epic ^^

TheDean04
28-03-2009, 02:54
I guess WoC would be best since they are the most elite infantry in the game.

Dranthar
28-03-2009, 03:02
Although i did once see a Goblin '300' style army with 300 models. That was epic ^^

Thats exactly what I was going to suggest. I did up a list once - 300 Night Goblins is very feasible and you can actually fit in some decent units too (ie. fanatics & squig herds).

Painting is another matter altogether of course. One day I hope to do the 300 Nite Gobbo army, but it may be a year or two before I can get all those models painted. :D

the Engineer
28-03-2009, 04:48
I think looking like 300 would be more important than actually having 300 minis. It is a very cool idea.

fracas
28-03-2009, 06:18
I second lizardmen saurus for their rules/stats.

Ward.
28-03-2009, 06:40
If anyone has any ideas please reply and i would love to know what army book you think is best for this army and would you like to play this army seeing 200-300 soldiers coming towards you (Hopefully if i can fit that many in 2250-2500 points :D )?

Vam2tic

You won't be getting 300 hundred men with anything other then skaven or Ong at 2250 points (well good men anyway).

I'd suggest either lizardmen and highelves, Lm because of the way a spearus reminds me of the Spartans in the movie.

Chaos warriors with halberds and a few units of marauders to act as those other greeks fits the theme well also.

Dai-Mongar
28-03-2009, 06:41
I'm a little surprised that it took so long for someone to mention the Wargods Spartan minis! They are absolutely perfect, there's no reason I can see for getting anything else.
I agree that you don't need 300 men. You'd need a giant table and a lot of time to do that, I think you could have one unit of 30 men against a horde of weenies. Remember that a unit of 30 in Warhammer fights like a unit of 300 actually would, and historically 300 men would only make up one regiment (it really is a small amount of warriors).
For rules, you might consider using a pikemen RoR (I seem to remember Leopold's Leopard company was pretty tough) up against some skirmishing goblins. That would really emphasise the importance of the phallanx formation.

Avian
28-03-2009, 12:26
Thats exactly what I was going to suggest. I did up a list once - 300 Night Goblins is very feasible and you can actually fit in some decent units too (ie. fanatics & squig herds).
I fielded such an army for quite some time and it was hilarious.

"And all shall know that many stood against few!"

"This is where we fight! This is where we die!"

"You do have more warriors than me."

After all, goblins fit two of the main criteria:
1) There are 300 of them
2) They all die in the end

W0lf
28-03-2009, 12:32
Id say the 2 main crieria are;

1. They are massivly outnumbered but highly elite
2. They all die Heroic deaths.

Im not sure playing 50 model daemon army where half your army runs of the table due to Terror is 'Heroic last stand' kinda thing ^^.

However that just adds to the hilarity of it.

deggaroth
28-03-2009, 20:39
I once unintentionally reinacted 300 by positioning my assassin-led blackguard between two blocks of impassable terrain, and having them hold the line against the vampire horde.

My suggestion is to pick an elite combat army, and then pick an uber infantry unit. Units that come to mind are Chosen warriors, ASF BG with Captain Kouran who btw could act as the captain, Swordmasters, dwarf hammerers with an oathstone dude. Then just find some other lighter infantry units in the army you picked to act as your much needed support and use those as the arcadians. Here's a suggestion if you decided to go DE:

20 ASF BG with Kouran
20 Spearmen with FC
20 Spearmen with FC
Unkillable dreadlord.
BSB with Hydra banner.
ScrollCaddy
Assassin with Rhune of Khaine, Manbane

isidril93
28-03-2009, 20:51
do warriors of chaos but make it like 2250
299 marauders cost 1794 (i think)

leaves enough points for command and for a hero

Makarion
28-03-2009, 22:40
How about Dark Elves?

Dreadlord

Master BSB

25 warriors w/ shields
25 warriors w/ shields
10 crossbowmen (modeled as javelineers)

17 black guard
17 black guard
18 black guard
6 shades

2 Reaper Bolt Throwers.

That should fit handsomely in 2,000 points, even with banners. At 2,250, you could add more RBT and/or Kouran.

akgaroth
28-03-2009, 23:42
I was thinking a WoC infantry army with the MoK. There's a text on the new WoC army book (pag.17 I think its title is "The crimson river") where an army of khornate infantry fights against an endless Arabian army, fighting even against elephants. I think this text takes clearly inspiration from the movie even if the marauders are the attackers and not the defenders. I don't think it's important if you have less than 300 miniatures; what really matters is that it has to be an "elite" army that will be probably outnumbered by the enemy.

dijit80
29-03-2009, 07:54
the simplest solution play Warhammer Ancient Battles and take a greek spartan army - problem solved. It's pretty much warhammer, so its not all that hard to get into, plus you get to go to all the source material GW uses as inspiration for its armies.

StormCrow
29-03-2009, 08:55
I'd say lizardmen with loads of spear saurus and some poison dart skinks to represent slingers or something.

If you want 300 models that never run away there's always the zombie horde option :p

Dai-Mongar
29-03-2009, 09:25
Don't DE hate everybody, i.e. pursue everyone after winning a combat? That could be a problem if they get drawn out of the "hot gates" and proceed to get themselves flanked.

Gork or Possibly Mork
29-03-2009, 14:31
Dwarf Slayer Army would make an epic 300 list. Half naked and Unbreakable just like the spartans. The only armies with armywide unbreakable are both undead and Daemons which doesn't quite fit.

For Xerses army Orcs & goblins would be great.
Grom on his chariot could represent Xerses on his palaquin
Lots of spear and shortbow armed Night goblins.
Wolf riders for cavalry
NG shamans to represent the thrower magicians Xerses had.
Rhinox Riders for the big rhino
Black orcs for Immortals
Boar chariots modelled like elephants
a troll or a giant to represent that big monster guy they had.

Vam2tic
29-03-2009, 19:03
Hey guy's i was thinking and i quite like the idea of just using eternal guard as the spartans. I think there rules are best to represent the spartans and the only draw back is that they are T3 but you can't have everything :D
What you guy's think :D
Would it be a fun army to play against espically all painted up in spartan colours :D

Col. Tartleton
29-03-2009, 19:07
Pheonix Guards:

Use a core of 30 of them with a KotF with an amulet of light and enchanted shield. Then give them a standard of balance.

Thirty immune to psychology fear causing always strike first magical halberd bearing high elves. The single block of them will be well over 500 points.

Then stick a Prince with the white sword, armor o' caledor, and a guard pheonix for King Leo.

Then max out on Sea Guard and maybe toss in some other stuff. That will give you a solid base for the 300 Spartans and the seven and a half thousand other greeks not featured in the movie... :wtf:

The 31 man spartan detachment is like 800 points on its own. So in 2500 points that's like 1700 for your other guys. Since a block of twenty tooled out sea guards are like 300 points you could squeeze 5 in and a BSB noble with the world dragon banner.

Pretty much a deathstar list with an ungodly central unit and solid troops everywhere else.

Charistoph
29-03-2009, 22:49
Why not switch it around? Grab your elite infantry, whether Human, Dwarfs, Chaos, Elves, whatever, get 300 of them, including your leaders, arm them appropriately (spears, shields, Light armor), determine your points, add stubborn or unbreakable for the limits of the game, if they don't already. Game limit is that none of the enemy can break through your line before the turn limit is reached.

Next, take a horde army, such as Skaven, Goblins, Zombies, whatever, and match their points to the defenders. You can even add the rule that whenever a unit is wiped out, they can start in the attacker's deployment zone.

But if you're planning on creating a tournament army that matches it, it would be tough to do, realistically.

Dragonreaver
30-03-2009, 02:14
We did that at GW Plymouth last year, it was brilliant. We used 300 models (actually 296, so 4 had to be recycled), all with an absolutely nails-hard statline and special rules. Then just got pretty much every other human-sized model we could find in the store, and models brought in by gamers, all using their own stats and rules and recycling upon death.

By the time the game had finished, fewer than 20 'spartans' were dead, most of those casualties of Vampire Lords. :p

Hmmm, thinking about it: A relative handful of hard-as-nails warriors, fighting a battle they're pretty sure they're not going to live through, against almost impossible odds, "Tonight we dine in hell!", "This is where we fight, this is where we die!".

Sounding like Slayers to anyone else?

Edit: Bah, someone beat me to it on the last page :(

RohanCaptain
30-03-2009, 18:22
Hey guy's i was thinking and i quite like the idea of just using eternal guard as the spartans. I think there rules are best to represent the spartans and the only draw back is that they are T3 but you can't have everything :D
What you guy's think :D
Would it be a fun army to play against espically all painted up in spartan colours :D

good :) Like I said before, the helmets resemble the spartans A LOT, they also have the spears. If you really wanted to go all out. Clip the spears off some models, and put swords and shields.

Chaos Marauder shields, I believe, would work good, all painted in bronze.

Get a Highborn alter, give him some solid equipment and that's your Leonidas.

T3?? True, buuuuuuuttttt, Spartans were excellent fighters, great skills, very strong (this is the only lacking point with elves) BUT they were also humans, and could also be killed.

I thought about this idea a while back, just don't have the $$ or time, I'm still trying to put together and paint my 2250pts wood elves.

like I said before, if you do it, post some pics, maybe seeing them will give me the final inspiration to do it myself :)