PDA

View Full Version : New player, new force.

Lord Asuryan
27-03-2009, 18:54
I'm thinking of getting into gondor, maybe with an allied elven contingent. what would you suggest, in particular for war of the ring? keeping in mind that I'm building on a budget, looking for approx 1500 points?

Tizz
27-03-2009, 19:04
Knights of Dol Amroth seem pretty damn good, though having no actual tabletop experiance I couldn't say for sure.

boomgoose
27-03-2009, 19:08
Plastics are the best bet for the budget conscious, and you're in luck because two of your staples for Gondor, Warriors of Minas Tirith and Knight of Minas Tirith, are available in plastic. I'd get a few heroes (Boromir, Faramir, Aragorn, etc.) and of course, the command and standard to place in your formations.

If you are looking for wood elves as your ally, then you again are in luck due to their box of plastic elves. Sadly, no book for me until April 4th, so I can't help you on points. I'm thinking two boxes of Warriors of Minas Tirith and a box of knights ($75 retail) will be good to get you started. You'll have 4 companies of foot, 2 companies of bows and 3 copanies of cavalry.

Lord Asuryan
27-03-2009, 19:28
so, are elves any good, wood elves, I mean? high elf models are cool, but pricy, so...

Marauder
27-03-2009, 19:33
Are you set on the elven allies? You could go with Men of Gondor, Knights of Gondor and Rangers. All are plastic and which will help your budget.

Lord Asuryan
27-03-2009, 19:47
pretty much, elves seem to actually have some magic, which gondor seems to lack, as well as elite troops to make up for average gondorians. mainly the models, tho.

darkstar
27-03-2009, 19:56
I'd go for the last alliance elves for your allies. That way, you get numenorians that you can justify as men of the fiefdoms. That, and woodelves are available in plastic already (but are a bit cack), and galadrihm are coming soon. You've chosen the most plastic heavy army out there. stick with that plastics, and throw in a couple of heroes, and you're good to go.

Max_Killfactor
27-03-2009, 20:05
Aren't there plastic High Elves coming out soon too? Does anyone know a date if they are?

Marauder
27-03-2009, 20:20
I might recommend starting with just your men and then pick up the elves when they come out.

Careful on the magic front. You can only spend 25% on allies and having to pay for a spell caster out of that allotment will eat up those points fast. It might not leave you with too many elves (since they are the most expensive troops themselves). If you are just getting a stormcaller than its probably okay.

If your concern is just magic/elite troops you can always get Gandalf as an ally and then some more elite gondorians like Knights of Dol Amroth, Citadel Guards, Osgiliath Veterans or Army of the dead (okay, most of those are pewter so I see the dilemma).

Lord Asuryan
27-03-2009, 20:25
why, do spell casters cost a lot?
I'm willing to spring for SOME metal, but...elves are cool.
also army of the dead is coming out with a new (really cheap) plastic boxed set, so...

Rirekon
27-03-2009, 21:55
Elven Stormcallers cost 2 to 3 times as much as the company you're putting them in...