PDA

View Full Version : Drop Pod Marines, have you tried it? did it work?

AbyssRaven
27-03-2009, 20:18
How effective is a drop pod marine force?

I'm looking at trying something like

Vulkan
9 Sternguard (fist, 2x heavy flamer)
Pod+Locator

2 x tactical squad
10marines, MM, Flamer, Fist, Pod

tactical squad
10marines Plasmacannon, plasmagun, fist, pod

Dreadnought
heavyflamer, MM, pod

Dreadnought
Storm bolter, MM, pod

OR replace the 2 dreadnoughts with 5 Thunderhammer termies and 2 double HB speeders

Land sternguard with 2 dreads next to it. unleash hell and get stuck in. Plasma squad drops into best fireing line and the MM/Flamer form a second line behind sternguard and the dreads

But before i comit myself to the expense i wanted to see what feedback would be on a pod marine list for a all comers style local play game (non tournie, just games nights ect.)

And what luck, good or bad, have you had with yours?

Count de Monet
27-03-2009, 20:34
IMO they're fun. Effectiveness wise it really depends. If facing an army/opponent who's not prepared to deal with them, you'll do really well. Facing someone who is prepared, may be in trouble.

You've got a lot of initial mobility (land pretty much wherever you want to) but after that you're pretty slow compared to a mech force. If you can maximize the effect of your 'free' shot and limit the amount of return fire you take through using the pods as LOS blockers you can do pretty well.

Damocles8
27-03-2009, 20:40
I use it frequently....and as for effectiveness....well I don't DS Dreadnoughts......so that's something not part of my analysis......A lot of the effectiveness depends on luck....initial placement of the pods is almost a game breaker for you or your opponent......you dictate the tempo of the battle......and that first wave's composition if VERY important....then you have to hope that your reserves come in without relative trouble....either way the game goes it's a lot of fun for me....and my opponent sometimes....not to mention fluffy if you don't run any tanks.....with that locator beacon I'd try out some Vanguard vets...just for kicks......

Eater of Small Things
27-03-2009, 21:24
One of my regular opponents has switched over to a drop pod force, and I agree with what's already been said by the Count and Damocles8. It can make for a fun, challenging game for both you and your opponent. One other thing to consider is that while a single drop pod is cheap, once you've invested the points in several of them it tends to leave your marines even more outnumberered than usual. And since sternguard are pretty expensive on their own that may compound the problem of being outnumbered.

Sanctjud
27-03-2009, 21:28
Also they are 'soft' kill points, being open topped and in front of enemy guns.

In addition... like any other spam list.. it's a one trick pony that is screwed should the enemy know what's up/has a relatively mobile list.

My 7 Cents.

SPYDER68
27-03-2009, 21:32
If you run drop pods.. you should run an odd number of pods..

for example... 5x pod army.. 3x auto come in first turn...

6x pod army.. 3x auto come in.. leaving half your deepstrike force off the table..

Sanctjud
27-03-2009, 21:58
Well.... maybe you WANT 50% of the pods off the board. There is much power in coming in later in the game, if you are the type of player that plays the mission, instead of the general meat grinder that is the first 3 turns of the game.

Imagine dropping onto an objective and being in scoring range while killing the dudes and then winning the game, with not much invested, very powerful,but not as 'fun'.

My 7 Cents.

Count de Monet
27-03-2009, 22:00
Well.... maybe you WANT 50% of the pods off the board.

Yep. IMO "Drop Pod Assault" actually REDUCES the power of an all-pod army.

Deadmanwade
28-03-2009, 02:49
Back in 4th I used to run 3 small dev units on the table and then as many tactical squads in pods as the points would allow. I used to routinely annihilate my opponent's tau gunline. The list is pretty competitive. You just dont want to use it against armies that can soak up that first turns hurt and then assault you to death.
If you can squeeze the points in, giving your sarges combi flamers/combi plas they'll be able to dish out a lot more hurt.
Make sure to use combat squads when you disembark (unless doing a KP game) and put your heavy weapons behind the assault weapons. This way you can fire them on the next turn when they're able to shoot and you dont have to worry about losing them to an assault.

Grazzy
28-03-2009, 14:20
It is a good list. Take ironclads with melta/flamer and I guarantee you wont look back. Sternguard are great with combi weapons too - I would drop the flamers and make then antitank instead.

BrianC
28-03-2009, 17:07
Drop pod armies can struggle against any highly mobile army as they can adapt to your rapid deployment, leaving you stuck in the middle of nowhere with no way of redeploying quickly unless you invest in expensive librarians who aren't much cop at shooting or assault that also eat up your HQ choices.

This means that any unit coming in needs to be immediately effective against its target as any competent opponent will wipe them out (or close to) next turn. This leads to the unit needing high quality assault weapons (as you count as having moved coming out of the drop pod) something that tactical squads just don't have.

I would stick with the likes of Dreads and Sternguard (and give the Sternguard plenty of combi meltas so they can take out heavy armour and troops) in Pods that can take out a target on that first strike and keep the Tactical Squads in Rhinos. You can then always give the Rhinos to the Sternguard later on.

I would consider trying to squeeze in a couple of empty pods in larger games so that you get all your troops on the table for turn 1 (if you want to, nothing stopping you from switching this dependant on opposing army). They aren't that expensive points wise and they also give you the chance to drop in some Deathwind launchers deep on the other guys lines.

Having only half the army on the table only works as a positive if your opponent can't make his numerical superiority pay while he still has the advantage. Granted against a static gun line its turns that he'd have had shooting said missing half, but any other sort of army will make you pay.

In my experience people don't tend to shoot at Drop Pods unless its all that a particular unit can see, they tend to be more interested in the contents of the Pod.

Gimp
28-03-2009, 17:12
Change the dreads to Ironclads with metla and flamer. For 3 reasons

1. You are so close to the enemy its close range weapons wont matter

2. Better armour means more chance to survive the enemies counter attack and it can then charge the next turns.

3. With the Salamanders special character your flamer and melta become twin lincked. Which is always great.

MrPickles
28-03-2009, 17:47
I have run a Salamander drop pod list many a times and I always do pretty well with it. Here is the list I run:

HQ
Forgefather Vulkan He’Stan---190 Points

Elites
Terminator Assault Squad---200 Points
5x Terminators w/ Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields

Ironclad Dreadnought---190 Points
Replace Storm Bolter w/ Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

Ironclad Dreadnought---180 Points
Replace Storm Bolter w/ Heavy Flamer
Drop Pod

Troops
Tactical Squad---250 Points
10x Space Marines
Flamer
Multi-melta
Sergeant w/ Powerfist and Combi-Melta
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

Tactical Squad---245 Points
10x Space Marines
Flamer
Plasma Cannon
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad---245 Points
10x Space Marines
Flamer
Plasma Cannon
Drop Pod

I'd recommend you switch out your dreads for ironclads in your list, as well as getting rid of the sternguard for an assault termie squad with thunder hammers. Remember, you can never have too many flamers, meltas, and thunder hammers in a vulkan list.