PDA

View Full Version : a generic chaos rhino?

mattnaik
27-03-2009, 21:22
I have a CSM army and a significant amount of troops choices but I dont have very many rhinos (2 to be exact). With 5th edition making them more resilient I was thinking about investing in a couple more.

None of the ones I have are painted yet (just primed black). My question is, is there a fluff justification for a "generic rhino". I dont know a whole lot about the background but i dont want to have 4 rhinos for each chaos god. Is it "fluff-acceptable" to paint them all black and use them across all factions?

I wasnt sure if black was specific to just Black Legion.

Sanctjud
27-03-2009, 21:26
It's your rhino... do whatever the hell you want.

BUT, if you go to tourneys and they have painting scores... they might take away points for having a rhino that doesn't exactly match the army/squad in color or look... unless you have great fluff behind it or something.

My 7 Cents.

Lord Humongous
27-03-2009, 22:58
I don't see a problem with it. I doubt chaos is all that picky about what their vehicles look like. Maybe they recently looted / bought them from the black legion. Maybe they've been doing work on replacing armro / mounting new spikes, and only had time to slap on a primer coat (need not be black). Its pretty easy to justify a legion not painting vehicles to match their armor by choice, as well.

And no, black isn't just for black legion, although the distinct black and gold combo is. Stick with some other trim colors, and you should be good.

Another choice would be to do a nice camo scheme that matches your army's bases. Say you have wasteland / rubble bases- well, then do an urban camo / breakup scheme in the same color set you used for the bases. That would tie your army together visually, and makes good sense flavor wise.

Doppleskanger
27-03-2009, 23:05
If you're an original traitor legion, those rhinos could have been around for a loooooong time. So you could just go for a *********d style. Black base coat and a ton of scratches and battle damage. Done well it could look wicked, maybe little patches where the original paint was still visible.

Atr_127
27-03-2009, 23:12
a guy in my gaming group magnetised all the iconography on his chaos tanks so that he could change it according to the god he was currently 'worshipping'. its a bit of work but it might be worth it.

ctsteel
27-03-2009, 23:26
you could also do it in a way that links the vehicles to the Dark Mechanicus, implying that they are the ones supplying and maintaining the vehicles for this warband. So perhaps a mars red colour, mixed with black to indicate the dark mechanicus influence. With chaos script, icons, really make it a perversion of the normal mechanicus scheme. Then you've got a fluffy way of having your vehicles all in their own unique colour scheme that ties in with your army overall. You could even go nuts and have a mutated servitor operating the bolters and so forth.

sabre4190
27-03-2009, 23:50
I think it depends on the troops inside of it, and the "leader" of the warband. If your army is primarily one chapter/legion/whatever, that would be the best way to go for a consistent color.

Still, I wouldnt have a problem with it fluff wise. The main warband has essentially provided his men with rhinos, and they all came from the same source. There might be a bit of customization from each squad, but this would absolutely work.