PDA

View Full Version : [WOTR] Companies attacks vs losses

Rirekon
27-03-2009, 21:51
Ok so I have my copy of the rules and I'm a little confused about something;
It says that the Attack (A) stat of a company is the number of attacks it gets, -1 for every casualty it has suffered.
For companies which have a number of models equal to their A stat this makes a lot of sense, however how does this work for those which have more?

For example Galadhrim Knight Regiment has A=4, but each company only consists of 2 models.
Now according to RAW when they suffer 1 casualty they will have 4 - 1 = 3 attacks, but this just doesn't feel right - it feels like they should have 2 as that would be the number of attacks split between models...

I'm assuming the RAW is also RAI, I guess it just feels wrong and wanted to make sure I had it right :)

Marauder
27-03-2009, 22:21
I think you'll find that the Galadhrim Knights are the only ones that doesn't work with. IMHO their 4 attacks are a typo.

Rirekon
27-03-2009, 23:45
I did wonder however there are a few others which suffer this problem;
The Three Hunters are 3 models with A=6
The Fellowship of The Ring is 9 models with A=10
The White Council is 4 models with A=5

Marauder
28-03-2009, 00:01
Good catch. They will probably need to state something for the Three hunters and the Galadhrim Knights. For the fellowship and the white council it probably doesn't matter.

Joewrightgm
28-03-2009, 00:08
I always thought that if you lost one model from a cavalry company you would lose half the attacks, (IE Galadrim knights company with 4 attacks loses 1 model, is reduced to 2 A).

Rirekon
28-03-2009, 00:31
Good catch. They will probably need to state something for the Three hunters and the Galadhrim Knights. For the fellowship and the white council it probably doesn't matter.

Good point :)

I always thought that if you lost one model from a cavalry company you would lose half the attacks, (IE Galadrim knights company with 4 attacks loses 1 model, is reduced to 2 A).

That's what I thought too, but reading the book the only references I could find to losing attacks was -1 per casualty...

darkstar
28-03-2009, 01:26
It quite clearly states that the lose attacks "equal to number of models lost".

Take the example of the White Council. 4 models, 5 attacks. Working it as a proportional basis as you propose, how would you work it out? You can't lose 1.25 dice.

The rule as it stands is the simplest solution to the problem.

lorelorn
28-03-2009, 04:04

No, you lose one, and it's the same with shooting attacks too.

For example a company of Rohan Outriders shoots 5 times - 2 attacks plus the accuracy bonus. That same company having suffered a casualty will shoot 4 times - 1 attack plus accuracy bonus.

This is one of cavalry's advantages, losing one out of two models gives a very small reduction in their effectiveness.

Galadhrim with one model have 3 attacks, not 2. Other cav have 1 but this is attacks minus one, not attacks halved. Even though the effect is the same for most cav, it's important to know the difference when you move to companies like Galadhrim or certain legendary formations.

msoong
28-03-2009, 19:09
You guys do know that the Fellowship has 10 models right? (the 9 plus Bill the pony)

Garoth
28-03-2009, 19:53
Bill the Pony is an optional upgrade, and Fellowship has 10 attacks with the pony or without it, it makes no difference.

Mouldsta
28-03-2009, 21:08
Maybe the last one fights extra hard to avenge his friend...