PDA

View Full Version : Which Cold Ones Do You Prefer?

Nicha11
27-03-2009, 22:14
This is a spin off from the other thread about cold ones.

I was more then a little suprised to see many, many people quite like the Lizardmen Cold Ones.

So here's a poll.

Godfiend
27-03-2009, 22:16
I was under the impression that the current Lizardmen cold ones were the "cows."

Nicha11
27-03-2009, 22:21
I was under the impression that the current Lizardmen cold ones were the "cows."

Nope they are the doopey dog ones.

Crube
27-03-2009, 22:23
I prefer the Dark Elf ones, but having said that I don't mind the new Lizzie ones at all... Kind of suit the look of the army as a whole..

theunwantedbeing
27-03-2009, 22:35
For the Dark Elves...I prefer the new Dark elf ones.
For the Lizardmen...I prefer the current Lizardmen cold ones.

There's no doubt that the DE ones are the better sculpt, they just dont fit in with the Lizardmen look at all.
The "battle cows" or "mini-godzilla's" did looks really good, the problem being they didn't look quite right with riders, be they Lizardmen or Dark elves.

Tokamak
27-03-2009, 23:33
Okay I picked the old DE ones. The new ones no longer look like an oddity within the army, as something they imported into their culture. That's what I considered always so typical dark elf, to simply 'take' whatever they fancy.

The new ones look way too integrated into the new army. Doesn't mean I like them, my jaw dropped when I saw the 3- up master sculpt yeeeaars ago in a WD. I never thought they would be able to produce that on a small scale. But they did.

The lizardmen versions however are just plain ugly. Most sculpts released in that time (Rise of Sotek) were. The plastic rat ogres and the plague monks also belong to one of GW's production lows.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
27-03-2009, 23:42
Old Cows > Current Lizardman > Current Dark Elf

Flaws in the sculpts withstanding, I find the current Dark Elf Cold Ones very unappealing aesthetically.

Bael
27-03-2009, 23:50
The lizardmen versions however are just plain ugly. Most sculpts released in that time (Rise of Sotek) were. The plastic rat ogres and the plague monks also belong to one of GW's production lows.
I agree. It's very frustrating when GW release sub-par plastic models, as you know they won't get re-done for years. I don't mind the Plague Monks so much but the Rat Ogres and Lizardmen Cold One sculpts are terrible. GW's knowledge and skill level with the new plastic tech has improved a lot since those releases. The Lizardmen Cold Ones really stand out in a bad way alongside the new Temple Guard and Stegadon. I considered converting some up with the new Dark Elf Cold Ones and plastic Lizardmen riders but they would look way too top heavy.

For me:
Current Dark Elf > Old cows > Current Lizardmen

Ethlorien
28-03-2009, 00:00
I must say I do love the new Dark Elf Cold Ones.

Tymell
28-03-2009, 00:02
I picked the current Dark Elf ones. Sleek, sytlish, dangerous. Just how I like them :D They also have a distinctly realistic (as dinosaurs) feel. Warhammer, but very believable and well-made, especially in the heads. Although overall:

Current DE ones > Really old DE ones > Cow ones > Current Lizardmen ones.

I liked the really old ones, before the cows. And the current Lizardmen ones just look...I don't know, dull. The cow ones at least had some flavour to them.

W0lf
28-03-2009, 00:12
DE cold ones are cool but i equally like the 'cow' ones who fit my idea of COs better.

Due to price + quality skulpt i voted new ones, common they are raptors for god sake, everyone love dinos ^^

Thou i cant be the only one who thinks the new ones feel wrong with stupidity.

Hellebore
28-03-2009, 00:41
This can't be a real question? Teh current dark elf ones are both superior aesthetically and designwise.

The lizardmen cold ones don't just look stupid they have no sense of anatomy at all. They have these wierd stumps for hands with 3 spikes sticking out of them and their hind legs are worse. Their faces look bizarre as well.

Hellebore

Nephilim of Sin
28-03-2009, 00:42
Poll is broken!

While the new Cold Ones are very nice, and I do prefer them to the last 'cow' edition, my favorite is the old metal ones. No, not the raptor ones, I mean the old, alligator-skin Cold Ones. There was definitely a lot of character with those sculpts, although I am not a fan of all the riders. They really looked like they could suffer from stupidity, as well.

Although the horned Cold One (DoW?) was a great piece too.

mweaver
28-03-2009, 01:39
I like the all, but the new DE ones are probably my favorites.

Bac5665
28-03-2009, 01:47
Current DE>cow>current lizards. I will not use Saurus cav in my tourney army till the models are fixed.

souljaking09
28-03-2009, 01:49
I actually prefer miller genuine draft. as far as sodas, I would go with mountain dew.:D

I chose lizard men.;)

TheDean04
28-03-2009, 01:53
Eww miller. I second mountain dew! Why was this not in the poll? But seriously the dark elf ones win by a mile!

Sleazy
28-03-2009, 10:06
I like the new DE ones, beautiful sculpts, however my 2nd choice is the old metal ones - these days referred to as horned ones.

Or the Gamezone ones.

lord ugwart
28-03-2009, 12:19
What is wrong with the new sculpts? I have yet to see any first hand.

Tokamak
28-03-2009, 12:42
This can't be a real question? Teh current dark elf ones are both superior aesthetically and designwise.

It's a real poll yeah not everyone regards them as superior.

fluffystuff
28-03-2009, 12:52
I love the new DE sculpts.

Master Stark
28-03-2009, 13:22
I can't believe there is even eight votes for the current lizardmen ones. I can understand people liking the 'old' cold ones, because they do ooze quite a bit of character, and look like slow stupid and savage monsters. But the new DE ones are just magnificent models, while the new LM ones are absolute poo.

Lordy
28-03-2009, 16:41
Gamezone cold ones make all 3 sets of ColdOnes look poor, now they are awesome.

Ultimate Life Form
28-03-2009, 16:50
I can't believe there is even eight votes for the current lizardmen ones. I can understand people liking the 'old' cold ones, because they do ooze quite a bit of character, and look like slow stupid and savage monsters. But the new DE ones are just magnificent models, while the new LM ones are absolute poo.

That´s so NOT true! The new LM ones are really cool! But the best post I read thus far was the one saying, for DE, the DE ones are best, and for LM, LM ones are best. I´ll admit DE ones are breathtaking, but I´d never want them for my LM army. They´re just completely different style and shouldn´t even be compared! If anything, it should be, do you prefer the old ones or the new ones? As for me, the LM Cold One Hands that seem to be ridiculed far and wide, and their feet that were also mentioned, are actually the coolest part that makes them stand out from the rest. I´ve painted countless amounts of Saurus Warriors, Temple Guards, Skinks, Kroxigors, Terradons, Salamanders, and Skaven Plague Monks, and all their claws look exactly the same. How boring! While not exactly realistic, I like the streamlined looks of their claws. And with the right paintjob, you can give their faces an incredibly arrogant expression, which is especially fun on a fierce man-eating dinosaur.

Tyranno1
28-03-2009, 20:36
That´s so NOT true! The new LM ones are really cool! But the best post I read thus far was the one saying, for DE, the DE ones are best, and for LM, LM ones are best. I´ll admit DE ones are breathtaking, but I´d never want them for my LM army. They´re just completely different style and shouldn´t even be compared! If anything, it should be, do you prefer the old ones or the new ones? As for me, the LM Cold One Hands that seem to be ridiculed far and wide, and their feet that were also mentioned, are actually the coolest part that makes them stand out from the rest. I´ve painted countless amounts of Saurus Warriors, Temple Guards, Skinks, Kroxigors, Terradons, Salamanders, and Skaven Plague Monks, and all their claws look exactly the same. How boring! While not exactly realistic, I like the streamlined looks of their claws. And with the right paintjob, you can give their faces an incredibly arrogant expression, which is especially fun on a fierce man-eating dinosaur.

So let me get this straight, you would prefer variety even if it was completly bonkers? And also, they are not streamlind, clubs with claws stuck on the end of them, thats all they are, barely any hand structure. If anything the dark elf ones have variety with the long fingers with sickles on the end.

I voted for the Dark elves, the people that like the new lizardmen cold ones single gripe seems to be that the dark elf ones dont fit with the lizardmen.

That may be true, but when you start to snip the dark elf armour off and replace it with lizardmen icons they blend right in. I have tried this and and as much as people seems too claim the saurus do not look overbalanced, they do not look oversized, and they most certainly fit together as part of the same army.

isidril93
28-03-2009, 21:37
the new ones are nice

dont really like their raptor look, seem too fast for M7

Leonathion
28-03-2009, 21:40
You forgot about three other cold one versions from the game, but ok.

(Dark elf/lizardmen skink metal cold ones and dark elf/slann quadrupedal)

I got like ten or something of the last mentioned ones, I should realy do something with them.

Tyranno - please post some pics of your project!

Tyranno1
28-03-2009, 21:51
Tyranno - please post some pics of your project!

Ok I will try when I have time (tourney tomorrow, gotta be ready), they are not only armoured like lizardmen models, but also posses 6 feathers each and a coat of protofeathers covering alot of thier bodies, to make them more correct with modern studies. They look perfectly at home in my army.

Conotor
28-03-2009, 22:07
The DE coldones are cooler for DE, and would be good for lizards if they were bigger. I voted Cow-ones.

Gazak Blacktoof
28-03-2009, 22:50
I have to agree with Hellebore, there's nothing to like about the other cold ones in comparison to the new dark elf plastics.

I'd go further though I think that the current dark elf cold ones are hands down not only the best cold ones but also the best steeds GW produces and perhaps even the best mounts or creatures, full stop.

Necromancy Black
28-03-2009, 23:13
I'm not voting.

The DE ones are better scultped but I'll hate to ever see them in the Lizardmen range.

Had you voted "Which are better for Lizardmen" then I would have voted, and I think the results would be a fair bit different.

someone2040
29-03-2009, 07:51
Personally mine goes like this
Current DE > 5th edition Cold Ones > Lizardmen current > 6th edition Cold Ones

I don't particularly mind the old cow ones, they do the whole stupidity thing really well, but otherwise don't emphasize the vicousness of the Cold Ones. The Lizardmen ones, I don't like the claws on the hands, but other than that, I think they're fine. Old 5th edition ones suit the Skinks and Dark Elves, but like those and the current DE ones, I think they don't suit Saurus.

Overall, I think the current DE ones are the best sculpt, but I do not mind the others either (But the Raptor look of the first two wins me over more).

Lordsaradain
29-03-2009, 12:05
I like the lizardmen cold ones, but the dark elf ones are cooler.

ashc
29-03-2009, 13:37
I like the Dark Elf ones, BUT i'm not convinced saurus would look good on the new Dark Elf ones.

Gork or Possibly Mork
29-03-2009, 13:40
I like the Dark Elf ones, BUT i'm not convinced saurus would look good on the new Dark Elf ones.

I like the lizardmen cold ones, but the dark elf ones are cooler.

What they said.

Gazak Blacktoof
29-03-2009, 14:37
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164739

I think the new cold ones demonstarte how poor the saurus models are but the cold ones themselves don't look silly as saurus mounts. The cold ones look fully capable of bearing the weight of the saurus at least in so far as they also look capable of bearing the weight of an armoured elf.

Drayken
29-03-2009, 23:49
The De cold ones look great. Stick some saurus riders on them, you get amazing models. The current lizardmen one looks alien and unnatural, not something you'd find roaming the jungle. Take a look at the model's front paws, they don't even have knuckles, just claws sprouting out randomly.

W0lf
29-03-2009, 23:55
I have to agree with Hellebore, there's nothing to like about the other cold ones in comparison to the new dark elf plastics.

Dosnt look stupid or M7?

Also within fluff why the hell would a beast like that need posionous skin. Kinda unneeded when its a raptor :wtf:

Alderhan
30-03-2009, 20:40
The new Dark Elf ones are excellent and they were a joy to paint.

Desert Rain
31-03-2009, 14:53
Easy answer, the DE ones are superior to all others. The lizardmen'soutclass the cows though.

Sasori_jap
31-03-2009, 21:21
Current DE ones tbh. The Lizardmen ones need to be replaced.

popisdead
09-04-2009, 22:43
the current DE and Lizzie both