PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of goblins, needing some serious help to make it compeditive

kormas
28-03-2009, 00:05
LORD
Goblin Warboss=180
Martogs best basha
Effigy of mork
Spiteful shield
Light armour
Gigantic spider

Heroes
Night goblin big boss=105
BSB-big Red raggedy banner

ng Shaman=100
Staff of sneaky stealing

ng Shaman=80
staff of sorcery

CORE
50 night goblins=330 (warboss’s unit)
full command
nets
3 fanatics
spears

35 night goblins=185
full command
1 fanatic
nets

35 night goblins=210
full command
2 fanatics
nets

20 night goblins=64
bows
musician

20 night goblins=64
bows
musician

20 night gobos=64
bows
musician

5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

SPECIAL
Spear chukka=35

RARE
Doom diver=80

Giant=205

this army is using what i have at the moment. i need some serious help with making this army into something that can win occasionaly, i know that goblins can never be truly compeditive, i have played a game at 1000 points against bretonians and i got hammered even though the opposing player was very new to the game, i think that my problem was not understanding the rules very well.

ok, onto the rules questions:
1: when do fanatics move, do they move every player turn (ie-12 times a game Max) or only every game turn (6 times Max)
2: is it leagal to have a character on a cavelry base in an infantry unit, if so can you possable tell me mwhere in the rulebook it is, there is a player who stubbenly refuses to acknolage this and i cant find it in the rules.

that should be all for the moment, c&c welcome.
thanks in advance:D

fishound7
28-03-2009, 01:15
If you could, I'd get some regular common goblins and mix match units with your NG units with nets. regular common goblins get 4+ AS with hand weapon and shield combine that with the NG nets you can get a semi tough or at least as tough as goblins get units. Against str4 infantry and nets on em you get 4+AS against the night goblins only 5+as. I think units higher then 25 are a waste but since your goblins i wouldn't go more then 30 on you main combat blocks.

On your specials I'd get 4 spear chukkas or 2 spear chukkas and a rock lobba. use other 2 specials for squigs either squig herders or squig hoppers since they are ITP which is strongly needed in a goblin list imo. Rares I'd go gaints or trolls since you really in need of some punch. I'd put your fanatics in your bow units have them get close to the enemy and release fanatics then sit there and shoot thier units until fanatics kill you or kill the enemy. Then after they have been softened up have your main combat blocks that were behind your bow units get in the mix. I'd keep all NG units at 20 since they are trashy.

I'd drop the shamans or mount them in chariots. I'd rather put fighty goblins in chariots then shamans. I'd keep you bsb and general Cheap they are not to get into combat they are WAY to important to get into combat. Keep them on mounts and jump unit to unit where they are needed. And yes mounted charactors can be in units in 7th edition.

What i would do which is not you is make about 5 common goblin blocks h/sh unit size 25 thats only 120 per unit 600 points in total and couple each unit with a unit of 20 NG with nets and musicain purely as a support unit for another 500 points. Now you have your battle line. Then start adding your punch. Maybe 2 or 3 units of bow goblins with fanatics to screen your main blocks. Ng bow unit on the sides with fanatics to help protect your flanks.

Goblin Armies imo should outnumber Horde skaven armies so I'd make it as such.

If your playing Goblins and have less then 250+ model count I think your playing goblins wrong. The problem is you have SO much you can do its hard to pick the right choices. I might just add i've never played a goblin army (Because it would be dumb expensive to field) but i've always entertained the idea of it.

dijit80
28-03-2009, 09:25
I've played a goblin army, a few pointers from my experience. Charge through fanatics! Your opponent typically won't dare, but you've got so many goblins who cares if a few die along the way. A big boss on a wolf or spider together with a unit of 4 or 6 trolls (possibly give the boss pigstikka) gives you a nice hard unit that will focus the enemies shooting a provide a sort of heavy cavalry unit - use them on one flank. NGs with bows and fanatics as mentioned can hold the other flank. Giants are ok, but in my experience they fall dead too easily from lead balls.
multiple units of spiderriders and wolf riders are good and irritating (light cavalry is the best unit in the game and you've got the cheapest light cavalry), in combat with them, thinking about them as homing dogs - the goblin is just there to point the wolves in the right direction. though you've got to be carefull that if one unit suffers a panic check they all don't run - but thats the great weakness with a goblin army.
I've not used squighoppers in the new armybook but they look better now.Squig herders are a great unit that can deliver almost as nasty a punch as High Elf swordmasters.
Unfortunately goblin armies got nerfed when you could no longer take more goblin characters than any other army, so you need to protect them now. Chariots can be dispersed amongst the goblin combat units and charged simutaneously to add extra punch to the charge. Characters on chariots aren't great, they die too quickly from cannon balls - protect them with ablative armour in large goblin units. aways take the red raggedy banner or bad moon on a stick if your mainly ng.
A large group of Snotlings can cause headaches for the enemy if they're on a flank - they'll just stay there all day. A doomdiver is nice against heavily armoured units - but fanatics are that too and don't take one of those valuable rare choices. Spearchukkas are the only warmachine I'd consider a must have in a goblin army - 2 for one is great, they're cheap and destructive, good for wounding large monsters.