PDA

View Full Version : noob grabbag

rtunian
28-03-2009, 02:51
ok i have some more noobish questions... piling them here, if anyone can answer, please do and thank you :)

- can you field special characters in tournaments? seems like all of the lists posted & discussed have regular lords w/magic items.

- can a goblin character join a unit of orcs or black orcs? it seems odd that biguns would take orders from littluns, but i couldn't find anything in the army book to the contrary

- what is the strategy of march blocking? if you move a unit out to within 8" of the enemy, aren't you leaving a sitting duck waiting to be charged? not really a rules q, but noobish nonetheless

- if you hit with multiple attacks and instead of causing 1 wound, you cause d3 wounds, do you roll for each of the attacks that wounded, or roll once and use that roll for all of the attacks that wounded?

- if a giant falls in the woods and there's nobody around, does it make a sound?

vinny t
28-03-2009, 03:19
sometimes, depends on the tourney

Don't know

If you can run inbetween blocks, scout, run off to the side, etc... you can marchblock w/out losing the unit

Roll once

No, their is nothing to "hear" the vibrations, so there is "technically" no sound. ;)

Dr.Mercury
28-03-2009, 03:51
If a weapon is capable of doing multiple wounds, then you roll the multiplier for each wound caused.
For example if I have a DE Dreadlord with the executioners axe, and he is up against a unit of 3 ogre bulls, I roll to hit, scoring 4 hits, I would then roll to wound. Say I then roll 3 wounds. Each ogre in the unit would then take D3 wounds, rolled for individually.

Lord Zarkov
28-03-2009, 09:22
Dr. Mercury is correct

selone
28-03-2009, 14:20
ok i have some more noobish questions... piling them here, if anyone can answer, please do and thank you :)

- can you field special characters in tournaments? seems like all of the lists posted & discussed have regular lords w/magic items.

- can a goblin character join a unit of orcs or black orcs? it seems odd that biguns would take orders from littluns, but i couldn't find anything in the army book to the contrary

- what is the strategy of march blocking? if you move a unit out to within 8" of the enemy, aren't you leaving a sitting duck waiting to be charged? not really a rules q, but noobish nonetheless

- if you hit with multiple attacks and instead of causing 1 wound, you cause d3 wounds, do you roll for each of the attacks that wounded, or roll once and use that roll for all of the attacks that wounded?

- if a giant falls in the woods and there's nobody around, does it make a sound?

Depends on the tournament. typically a GW tournament is more likely to allow SC's and a non GW less liekly but you really have to check.

Yes he can, he doesnt even order them around either as unless hes a goblin warboss he won't ave higher ld than an orc anyways.

Remember you don't have to be in front of him/her to march block him/her but even if youa re in front youc an still flee the charge and hopefully caused a failed charge.

Each attack.

Don't put your giant in a wood :D

rtunian
28-03-2009, 16:42
If a weapon is capable of doing multiple wounds, then you roll the multiplier for each wound caused.
For example if I have a DE Dreadlord with the executioners axe, and he is up against a unit of 3 ogre bulls, I roll to hit, scoring 4 hits, I would then roll to wound. Say I then roll 3 wounds. Each ogre in the unit would then take D3 wounds, rolled for individually.

let me see if i understand correctly: i thought in the case where members of a unit have multiple wounds, that whole models would always be removed, instead of wounds being distributed.

for example, of those 3 wounds, i roll a 4, a 2, and a 6, so i do 2, 1, and 3 wounds. this means that 6 wounds are caused, and therefore 2 ogres are removed, right?

new question:
- do undead have special rules for musician, since they can't flee, or do they only get the tiebreaker aspect of it?

thanks again for helps!

Deetwo
28-03-2009, 16:51
new question:
- do undead have special rules for musician, since they can't flee, or do they only get the tiebreaker aspect of it?

thanks again for helps!

Only the tiebreak. Same goes for Daemons.

nosferatu1001
28-03-2009, 16:54
Ogres have three wounds; when wounding units with multiple wounds you add up all wounds caused (capping at max per model, so a D6 wound weapon on ogres can only ever cause 3 wounds) and then remomve a number of RnF models fitting the unmber of wounds caused.

This prevents multiple wounded models from being in one unit.

danny-d-b
28-03-2009, 16:55
Only the tiebreak. Same goes for Daemons.

which is why I never by me deamons musicians- waste of 6 points! (considering I could get 1/2 a lesser deamon for that!)

Deetwo
28-03-2009, 16:59
which is why I never by me deamons musicians- waste of 6 points! (considering I could get 1/2 a lesser deamon for that!)

My plaguebearers never leave home without a musicant :)
Rest of the units though.. Can live without one.

gumbio
28-03-2009, 18:30
ok i have a noobish question..how do u take a stuipid test?

rtunian
28-03-2009, 18:47
ok i have a noobish question..how do u take a stuipid test?

on p.48 of the rule book it explains that all psychology tests roll 2d6 and compare to leadership value. if you roll less than or equal to the leadership value, you pass. stupidity is a psychology effect, so you roll 2d6 and if you pass you act normally for that turn, if you fail, you move forward (the direction the model is facing) at half speed (1/2 the full normal movement value) in the compulsory movement phase, as detailed in p.52

stupidity is tested for at the start of your turn, in the "start of turn" phase and a unit affected by stupidity must test every turn that it is stupid

Kalandros
29-03-2009, 01:47

To further complete.

Dreadlord with Executioner's Axe has 4 attacks. He attacks those Ogre Bulls.
He swings and misses once, rerolls with Hatred: 4 Hits.

4 Hits that now need to roll to wound, on a 2+. Let's say he wounds 3 times.
Now he multiplies each wound individually, rolling for each wound.

2, 3 and 1 wound, total of 6 wounds.
2 Ogres die.

That's how it works.

When hitting multi-wound models with multiwound weapons, you can do up to the max wounds on the model. If you had D6 wound weapon against a 3W model and you rolled a 4+, you still only deal 3 wounds.

If you hit and wound 3 models that have 1 wound and your wound multiplier is insane and comes up to 9, only 3 models die.

Spirit
29-03-2009, 17:53
let me see if i understand correctly: i thought in the case where members of a unit have multiple wounds, that whole models would always be removed, instead of wounds being distributed.

for example, of those 3 wounds, i roll a 4, a 2, and a 6, so i do 2, 1, and 3 wounds. this means that 6 wounds are caused, and therefore 2 ogres are removed, right?

You are right. You still roll the dice individually, for any that cause more wounds than the ogres starting wounds, you ignore the excess wounds, as no model can take more than its starting number of wounds. This is obviously hard to see with d3 wounds, as ogres have 3 wounds on their profile.

You then pool all of the wounds together and remove whole models.

EG: A cannonball (which does d6 wounds, not d3) goes through the flank of an ogre unit, hitting 3 of them. All 3 hits wound. You then roll 3xd6. Say for example you roll a 1, 4, 6 for number of wounds. The 4 and the 6 have excess wounds, which cannot happen, so the total caused wounds is 7 (1+3+3). remove 2 whole ogres and remove a wound from one of them.

new question:

thanks again for helps!

this is also correct. But it is funny when 50 zombies ring a bell and cause 20 chaos warriors to flee for their lives, due to being outnumbered by a fear causer!

Must... Write... Something