PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels Codex

dcpattyizbeast
28-03-2009, 14:51
Is the Dark Angels Codex still valid with 5th Edition Rules? Just wondering.

Steel Legion for Life
28-03-2009, 14:57
Still valid, but not great. Sort of like the DA have been for the last nine years. It's not as much of a "Codex that time forgot" as the now totally bonker but still legal Black Templar army.

samiens
28-03-2009, 16:52
Its not top end competitive unless you like micromanagement and doublewing. For a casual/friendly gamer its fine, for a moderately competitive player its just about on the radar but restricted to doublewing (i.e. Deathwing and Ravenwing in combination) builds and for top end it really Isn't for anyone but those who've fine tuned its particular style to perfection

dcpattyizbeast
28-03-2009, 21:11
I see...

I was just wondering if the codex was still valid with 5th ed since its a minidex and I thought that maybe the SM codex makes all of the SM minidexes invalid.

GT Templar
28-03-2009, 21:17
The newest DA codex is its own full codex, so it is in no way invalidated by the new SM codex. You must be thinking of the old 3rd ed. minidex.

Madgear Thundaklutch
28-03-2009, 21:44
Its not top end competitive unless you like micromanagement and doublewing. For a casual/friendly gamer its fine, for a moderately competitive player its just about on the radar but restricted to doublewing (i.e. Deathwing and Ravenwing in combination) builds and for top end it really Isn't for anyone but those who've fine tuned its particular style to perfection

I cant speak for ravenwing, but I feel DW is still quite competitive

dcpattyizbeast
28-03-2009, 22:50
I haven't actually seen the DA codex. I just wanted to know before I bought it. I was told that there were rules for the Deathwing in there and I thought that a army comprosied completely of Termies would be cool.

samiens
28-03-2009, 23:03
Fair enough, in my experience Deathwing aren't as competitive as they were in the metagame but i love the little guys so kudos to you if you kick butt!

mughi3
30-03-2009, 07:34
3.5 deathwign and ravenwing in 4th ed with the FAQ were top performers since they kept all their special rules.

Now they have lost all thier special rules and also loose out on all the new rules for standard wargear-cyclones, storm shields, POTMS etc...(yet our old rivaqls the wolves get it all :confused: ). found in C: SM.

Deathwing is our novelty, you can still win with it, but it doesn't peform as well as it could or should now. same goes for ravenwing.

The big nitch for RW is the scout ability and the jet bike. the down side is the fact that C:SM can do a similar list with the white scars character for cheaper with better options.

exsulis
31-03-2009, 02:03
I cant speak for ravenwing, but I feel DW is still quite competitive

DW got hammered with the 4th edition dex, where-as the RW got a little better but its still nerfed compared to other scouting bikes.

Norsehawk
31-03-2009, 02:50
Deathwing is still pretty good. You do lose some of the new toys, but you also get a bit more flexibility in your forces. You can mix some heavy weapons into terminator squads equipped with close combat weapons for example. The ability to mount any of the heavy weapons could come in useful.

That said, the fact that they miss out on so many of the new toys and options does get a bit annoying which is why quite a few DA players field either DW/RW/Doublewing armies and 'green codex marines' when they want to play with the new toys.

shin'keiro
31-03-2009, 03:05
Is the Dark Angels Codex still valid with 5th Edition Rules? Just wondering.

:wtf:

Its the latest codex for them - so ofcourse its still valid

The space wolves codex is 9 years old and thats still valid

Starchild
01-04-2009, 04:31
...for top end it really Isn't for anyone but those who've fine tuned its particular style to perfection

Really? I didn't know that was possible! :confused:

The way I see it, DAs are for Space Marine players who want the best looking models and actually appreciate a challenge-- complete with significant struggles to win games and a free bragging rights package! ;)

If I use Codex SM, I feel guilty. If I use Codex DA, I feel like a man with tons of grit. :skull:

Ravenwing011
01-04-2009, 06:04
Really? I didn't know that was possible! :confused:

The way I see it, DAs are for Space Marine players who want the best looking models and actually appreciate a challenge-- complete with significant struggles to win games and a free bragging rights package! ;)

If I use Codex SM, I feel guilty. If I use Codex DA, I feel like a man with tons of grit. :skull:

I'm inclined to agree, i have an 1850 list, (Doublewing) I am slowly hammering out and if the tournament organizer here standardizes all the gear for simplicities sake it will get a lot meaner. I love the challenge it presents when playing the army, cause you can see your mistakes point blank and fix them so it doesn't happen again. So far with my current list i'm working on I've won 4 out of 4 games.

mughi3
01-04-2009, 09:52
The way I see it, DAs are for Space Marine players who want the best looking models and actually appreciate a challenge--

Huge difference between a challenge and a design error handicap.

Fighting a tough army list or a tough strategic opponent is a challenge.

Starting the game with a 10% points handicap and crappy rules because somebody at GW changed their mind last year is not a challenge, it's poor planning on GWs part, especially since the could have fixed the problem with a 2 sentence FAQ.