PDA

View Full Version : Why are well painted minis on eBay so unwanted?

Cool_Mint
28-03-2009, 17:37
I don't know for sure what the situation is in other Countries like the USA but it certainly seems to be the case here in the UK and I'd like to canvas some opinions on whats going on.

About a year ago I was thinking about trying to make a little extra cash on the side by painting minis and selling them on eBay but as someone over on Warhammer.org rightly pointed out, it's a waste of time unless you're a true master-level painter with a couple of Golden Demon awards under your belt.

As things stand I'm beginning to turn a fair profit by seeking out cheap job-lots of minis and restoring them and reselling them but it would be nice to sell a few painted ones too.

Is everyone these days an expert painter and therefore disinterested in anything less than perfection? Ebay is chock-full of badly painted miniatures so I really don't believe it! So, why is it that if good painters put genuinely well-painted minis on eBay they will at best sell for maybe 10% more than unpainted?

Strange comments I've heard on the subject of painted miniatures include "I won't pay more than retail, period" and "I don't like used models".

I've gotten pretty good at painting, not Golden Demon level of course (I have yet to get to grips with NMM techniques) but good enough that I'll probably start up a gallery on Cool Mini Or Not and it seems a shame to have a skill going to waste.

To me the price that people are willing to pay for a painted miniature is the most honest rating of how much they really like it, so why does a model of - say a tank or dragon - that has had maybe ten hours of work and attention lavished on it sell for 5 above retail? You've got to be nuts to work for 50 pence an hour!

Legionary
28-03-2009, 17:41
The primary reason tends to be that people want to add your units to their own army, so they'll just be painting over yours (which results in lost detail) or they'll strip the miniatures, which is time they have to spend.

Otherwise, they end up with an army composed of mis-matched miniatures, which doesn't look good - and for quite a few people, assembling the minis or painting them is half the pleasure.

ashc
28-03-2009, 17:43
As things stand I'm beginning to turn a fair profit by seeking out cheap job-lots of minis and restoring them and reselling them but it would be nice to sell a few painted ones too

Yeah I pretty much did this over my summer of unemployment last year.

I saw it as something to pass the time with and as long as i covered initial costs and made a bit of cash on top then it was quite nice. It was difficult to imagine it being able to make enough money to be worth calling a 'job' though.

Ash

Son of Makuta
28-03-2009, 17:44
Because people like to convert and paint their own stuff, for the most part. If you want the army to be uniquely yours, buying prepainted miniatures isn't going to be worth anything over unpainted ones, because at the very least you're going to paint over it (which may include stripping first).

Acolyte
28-03-2009, 17:44
Yeah, unless you can sell a whole army at once, nobody wants one well-painted squad that doesn't match the rest of their army.

Felwether
28-03-2009, 17:47
I have to say that personally I'd never buy pre-painted models. It'd sort of feel like cheating to be honest.

djinn8
28-03-2009, 17:49
I have the same problem. Miniture painting is one of my income sorces and I avoid putting my work up on Ebay for minor to no profit. Instead I vist the local clubs and get regular clients, charging them either a base rate of 4 a figure for table top standard, +10% for basing is they require it, otherwise I agree upon a commision price that can range from 20-50 for a single display standard figure. It may seem like the money then is coming from the display standard figures, but this is not he case. Display figures take time and effort. It may take me a week or two to make that 50, but with the table top standard minis I'll be working for about 3.00 an hour. It's still a low wage and I wouldn't recomend it as a full time job.

As a tip I would recommend seeking work from Historical Wargamers, who have more figures due to the cheeper cost to buy them and since these cheeper minis have less detail than GW minis they are much easier to paint quickly.

PaddyF
28-03-2009, 17:54
Because painting is half the fun vOv

Reaver83
28-03-2009, 18:00
Firstly, I enjoy painting, so don't really want to miss that out.

Secondly, If I want to buy some miniatures of the net which are painted, will they fit in with the rest of my army? If they don't then I'm not so keen.

Thirdly, Some people who say there stuff is quality X often isn't

fluffystuff
28-03-2009, 18:03
Well I've literally just started taking commissions for work due to being made redundant from my job. I can't see myself making alot of money, but I'm expecting a turn-around of about 3 per hour. So a unit of 20 models would cost about 120-150 ( approx 40 hrs + cost of models ).
I think that this is quite realistic if you look at completed listings on ebay, you should be able to judge what standard of painting you'll be up against, and then price accordingly. Good quality photos will also help your sales, along with links to your project logs ( so people can see your WIP ) and links to your work on CMON.
Some people simply don't have time to paint yet they have the money. Well I intend to help those people out. I have the time and the ability, now all I need is some money.

Lord Malorne
28-03-2009, 18:04
Can't stand models I have not painted or commision painters, the whole point of my army is that it is my army, if I wanted something someone else has done I would throw a few hundred /$ down the drain and get models I did not do for an outrageous amount of money.

Charging several pounds to do models to varying standards (some people display standard is anothers tabletop standard) is something that gets my bile up, though, TBF my anger is more directed at the people who do pay for there stuff to be painted, paint it yourself, don't pay for it to be done, theres no connection to the model at all, and it cost far more than it should, if you want it painted to play with just do it to a basic standard...

I can't stand models I have not painted, I don't care if I suck, I did them myself.

Seargent K
28-03-2009, 18:07
Me too,I am not such a good painter but I prefer models painted by me.

Angelust
28-03-2009, 18:26
I think it's because miniature wargaming is expensive as it is, and when you compound the cost by outsourcing the painting side, the costs can end up being $10-15 for each mini, which ends up being a substantial amount of cash for an army.

Personally, I wish most of the bare plastic armies out there would at the least get sprayed with a basecoat and sprayed with a wash. It'd take maybe 1 hour to do an army and clean your equipment. It'd make half of the vampire counts and daemons and marines such so much better than the gloopy ugly paint jobs we see so often.

Gussy
28-03-2009, 18:30
I used to buy some but not anymore because:

(1) They are way too expensive. Just look at those coming from Argentina.
(2) The ones that are cheap are worst than my own paint job.

Mollusk
28-03-2009, 18:30
I couldn't agree more. I'm an alright painter, but it took several armies to get that way (I'm working on my fifth army over the course of twelve years, and there were also some small side projects in there). If I compare the first models i ever painted to the stuff I'm doing now it's night and day. I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone should try to paint their own stuff. It might not come out right at first, but after a few tries you can paint stuff you are proud of.

Egaeus
28-03-2009, 18:44
First, I am one of those people who probably wouldn't buy already painted stuff, as I like my army to be my army.

But I'm not going to judge those who feel otherwise, since I have known people who wanted to play but just didn't have the additional free time to paint all their models.

One thing that might be a bit misleading is that you mention that that is goes for a bit "above retail"...I know that personally I don't go to eBay to pay retail...I go there to get a discount. So if you consider that you could potentially get that model unpainted for less than retail, people may not consider that the painter didn't also acquire it cheaper. I understand that this may not be the case, but it is an important factor to consider.

Another interesting conundrum that I have considered is that it is probably much easier to sell "named" chapter units than anything custom...so if you're doing Space Marines, then Ultramarines, Dark Angels, and Blood Angels are probably going to sell better than lesser-known chapters, regardless of the quality of the work. The problem I see here is we have so many pictures of painted models for these armies that there is probably something of an unrealistic expectation of quality for said models.

To some people if it's not in a factory-sealed box then it's "used", painted or not. For me, the issue is that if a person acquired them for personal use, painted them, used them and are now selling them then they have gotten some "use value" out of them, so they aren't worth "full value". And it's probably hard to prove that you got them solely to paint and sell in a venue like eBay. Again, it's primarily an issue of perception.

Well, that's my $0.02 on the subject for now.

fluffystuff
28-03-2009, 18:53
It may be that some people only love the gaming side of the hobby, and painting minis is just a chore to them. I'm simply offering people a service and only charging 3-4 per hour for it aswell ( and that's not including assembly time or materials cost ). I love building and painting, but virtually never play, and there's plenty of people who are the exact opposite to me.
I can't understand all this negativity towards models painted by other people.

Grazzy
28-03-2009, 19:01
You'll do better if you paint whole armies on commission. One squad is unlikely to fit in to a persons army.

Set up a website and do commissions.

eek107
28-03-2009, 19:02
Folks who are willing and able to pay someone else to paint their minis are more likely to seek out a proper commissioning service rather than check ebay on the offchance that somebody has painted up the unit(s) they want in the colours they want to the standard they want. The chances of being able to build up a cohesive army in that fashion are slim at best, so you won't find many people doing that.

If you're determined to use ebay rather than do commissions, then you'd be better off selling full armies than individual models or units. I've noticed they tend to go for (what I'd call) crazy money.

Bluto
28-03-2009, 19:03
I don't have any problem with people buying painted minis. The truth is that some people do not have the time, or the skill to paint an army, even to very basic standards. Or can manage a very basic standard, but would like to field something nice looking. I have painted two armies for my friends who fell into this category. (Mind you, my commission was insanely cheap - basically they supplied all my paint for their own army, and my own.)

That said, I don't think Ebay is the place for table-top painted miniatures. If someone wants an entire army painted for them, they will commission someone - buying squads at a time on Ebay is hard, and even with a simple chapter like Ultramarines, slight color variations happen, basing can be done differently, quality can differ. No one wants a rag-tag looking army.

For all those people who can paint, a painted miniature online is basically a unpainted mini that you still have to strip yourself.

If you are getting near retail, then you are doing well. I have sold painted minis on Ebay (unwanted pieces from others collections that I had bought), and they generally sell even worse than the unpainted stuff.

Lord Humongous
28-03-2009, 19:17
I think its sort of like the same reason somebody who does model airplanes doesn't buy perfectly assembled and painted airplanes off ebay. They may end up with a better result, but it defeats the point of the hobby.
That said, people don't use model airplanes to game with. But people who want models as game pieces still want a whole army that fits a theme most times. Having one special, stand out model with a paintjob they did not choose the colors for likely breaks that theme.

If I had the money, I'd be HAPPY to have somebody else paint my minis (I love doing conversions, but hate painting) but I'd still want some control over the color scheme and basing, so they match my army.

The 2 Black Dragons
28-03-2009, 19:21
Hi there,
all you guys seem to not be getting the real idea behind selling on Ebay, please do not missunderstand me the other reasons are also true.

First off, no it is not worth selling painted minis unless you "realy got some tallent" and make masterpieces, depends on what you want to earn!

The idea behind selling on ebay is advertisement!

There is no cheaper and more global way of selling a product like Warhammer miniatures in the world.

So yes go ahead and bang up some nice peices for Ebay and the private commisions will come at some time, if your work is good

Cool_Mint
28-03-2009, 20:36
Hi there,
all you guys seem to not be getting the real idea behind selling on Ebay, please do not missunderstand me the other reasons are also true.

First off, no it is not worth selling painted minis unless you "realy got some tallent" and make masterpieces, depends on what you want to earn!

The idea behind selling on ebay is advertisement!

There is no cheaper and more global way of selling a product like Warhammer miniatures in the world.

So yes go ahead and bang up some nice peices for Ebay and the private commisions will come at some time, if your work is good

Now that's a good piece of advice. :)

laudarkul
28-03-2009, 20:50
I begin to watch the e-bay, but what I'm looking for are models not painted and not assembled...I prefer to do the job myself...

Sttucker13
28-03-2009, 20:50
I fall into the category of those who have both the money to buy a quality painted army and the time to paint one myself. I'm a decent (read: not great) painter, so that I don't feel utterly embarrassed when my units leave their case. I also have no qualms with people buying prepainted armies. However I refuse to buy painted models off the net for existing armies simply because I want them all to match. If, however, I was going to start a new army and could get a quality painter to do the work for me I would GLADLY pay for the service. I figure you pay for quality, and I cannot at this point produce that level of paint-job myself. So selling on Ebay may be a bad idea, but if you take commissions (read: build a website, blue table painting comes to mind) and can do quality work cheaper/same price as other commission-accepting artists I would happily pay you to paint, assemble, and base my next 5000 point army.

Mouldsta
28-03-2009, 21:05
I would never buy painted models - my standard is usually better than what's sold as tabletop, and my best is usually as good if not better than a lot of the "pro painted" stuff you see. The truely exceptional stuff is really nice (I'm useless with greenstuff, so nicely converted is alway good), but commands such a fierce price to make it not worth it.

Besides, I take pride in having painted my own stuff, and as shallow as it is I like it when people are impressed by a models I've spent 10+ hours on :)
Having people compliment it and then having to say "thanks, I didn't paint it" is embarrassing.

5Pointer
28-03-2009, 21:38
If I bought pre-painted stuff, I couldn't have a Plog here could I? :)

Seriously though, I'd pay for a quality conversion (GS etc) but not for painted - no matter how good, it's part of the hobby for me to paint (however slowly or badly!) my own armies. I can understand why people buy whole armies painted, but not individual models or units.

Angelust
28-03-2009, 21:40
I think the uniformity of the army is key here. I bought a lot of tau stuff for around ~$250, and I painted them all very simply. Camo green, black washes, almost no highlights. I tried to keep the recesses of the tau tanks and armor dark or black if possible, and did some minor detail and very basic basing. It looked about table-top, but very dull and simple colors in my opinion. However, when I sold it, I got $650+, almost $300 more than I expected.

Basically, it seems like a lot of people want a ready-painted army, but don't want to just add a unit or figure here and there because it will obviously not fit in with the rest of the army, and will stick out like a sore thumb. I find they're generally willing to spend a lot on a matching playable army though.

Typically, create a solid, balanced force with a generic and well planned color scheme, and people will usually pay 150% of retail, which is about double what you'd pay on 20% discount or three times what you get off ebay.

Cool_Mint
28-03-2009, 21:50
I wonder who will buy painted minis? Kids/young teens maybe? But they usually only have cash not cheques or Paypal so I doubt they do much shopping on eBay. I guess that's why all those Games Workshop stores are still in business.

It's strange to think that you can have a beautifully painted regiment or squad of miniatures and people will say "wow, they look fantastic!" but if you ask how much would they buy them for you find out you could hardly give them away let alone sell them. :wtf:

Madgear Thundaklutch
28-03-2009, 21:53
I wonder who will buy painted minis? Kids/young teens maybe?

People who either don't have time to paint, dont want to take the time to learn, are only in the hobby for the gaming aspect, or paretns who are rich and want their kids to have well painted armies ;)

Cool_Mint
28-03-2009, 21:54
I think the uniformity of the army is key here. I bought a lot of tau stuff for around ~$250, and I painted them all very simply. Camo green, black washes, almost no highlights. I tried to keep the recesses of the tau tanks and armor dark or black if possible, and did some minor detail and very basic basing. It looked about table-top, but very dull and simple colors in my opinion. However, when I sold it, I got $650+, almost $300 more than I expected.

Basically, it seems like a lot of people want a ready-painted army, but don't want to just add a unit or figure here and there because it will obviously not fit in with the rest of the army, and will stick out like a sore thumb. I find they're generally willing to spend a lot on a matching playable army though.

Typically, create a solid, balanced force with a generic and well planned color scheme, and people will usually pay 150% of retail, which is about double what you'd pay on 20% discount or three times what you get off ebay.

Good strategy. :cool:

I like the idea of painting character models - commanders and so on - but even with such individual miniatures they're going to look "different" from the rest of a potential buyer's army.

ctsteel
28-03-2009, 22:28
Another idea is to clean, assemble and base coat the minis, and sell them that way, adding a small premium on to the model cost for your time.

Then, have an extra option available to the winner (mention it in the auction wording or do it as a higher Buy It Now price or such), where they pay you extra to paint those undercoated models in the scheme of their choice. I'd probably suggest not using BiN for the painting part though, as if the buyer feels for some reason that you've not done the job they wanted, they might give you -ve feedback for subjective reasons. So it would be better to sell only the undercoat via eBay, and do the painting privately. This way you can't be as easily exploited - you also keep the eBay fees down.

Your auction could then have a series of pictures or a website demonstrating the samples of your other work, to let the buyer evaluate your ability and painting standards (tabletop/display etc). They buy the undercoated minis, contact you if they want you to paint them and away you go.

This way you're still making some money for your time undercoating the models, which keeps it profitable (barely, and don't forget the auction costs), and you can get opportunity to make sales for painting. Over time you might establish a customer base who bought a painted unit from you, and now want the rest of the army. You're also selling models to people who don't want you to paint them, which is therefore expanding your client market.

solkan
28-03-2009, 22:31
All of the painted miniatures that I've boughten off of eBay have been boughten with the expectation that they would be stripped. Granted, for about half of those models arrived were "not horrible enough" to strip, so I'm still using them.

From stripping and reassembling miniatures in the past, I don't really trust how well random people clean and base coat figures. Because I also frequently end up painting figures as they are being assembled because of bad angles and such, "primed and assembled" doesn't add value for figures.

mr.kislev
28-03-2009, 22:55
i buy rally really ***** painted models off ebay for my armys then paint strip.
they are cheaper because unless you are a true master people want there own color scheme.
i bought loads of old horribly painted winged lancers that were cheaper then the NIB ones and turned them from cr*p to cool.
paints sometimes just maks a model look bad

Marshal Sinclair
28-03-2009, 22:58
Because even though you may have spent 20 hours painting that Falcon, it still isn't worth 100.

Lord of ???
28-03-2009, 23:08
I'ld never buy a pre-painted mini from ebay.

There are just too many craptastic painters out there claiming to be Golden Daemon painting quality for me to bother sifting through to find any decently painted minis.

The Orange
28-03-2009, 23:16
I would imagine that the payback on ebay is low simply because their aren't that many willing customers. It may depend on where you live, but 40k isn't that well known at least here in the US. Most of it's customers probably don't have money to burn and either enjoy the hobby aspect or don't mind putting the effort in, so that would cut down the number of potential customers even more since most people would rather pay discount rates at retailers for the models and then build it themselves. Now with golden daemon level minis, your sort of also catering those that might want a nice display piece, but when it comes to say a normal table top level army their just isn't enough customers to drive up the demand. Throw in the bad economy and people trying to tighten their belts and tbh the view looks pretty bleak.

Creeping Dementia
28-03-2009, 23:23
I personally only look for models on E-bay that are unpainted. Why would I want to pay more money for a paint job that probably doesn't fit my scheme, only to have to wait a week or so after I get them so I can strip them?

The only way I see painted models selling on E-bay are when its an entire army deal, well painted, and all the same scheme. If you buy a whole painted army all at once then you don't have to worry about not having matching extra models.

Also, a lot of the Pro-Painted postings I see are either poorly done, or have crappy color combinations. When I sold my Nid army I made sure to not put "pro-painted" because myself and a lot of other more experienced E-buyers know that most of the time "Pro-painted" models are just a scam.

I'd buy from an amateur hobbiest that cares about how his models look because they're his, over someone looking to make a buck. The Pro-painted models get some serious :rolleyes:.

Darkhorse
28-03-2009, 23:34
Painting is a major part of the hobby and in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi Genres involve a large element of individualism.
I rarely buy anying not BNIB and that which is second hand needs to be fairly generic and free of what might be considered "Artistic touches". If your going to try this commercially you have to know what it is that your customers want.
Eg: chimera retail 20, Ebay generally 17-18 BNIB.
A second hand one built in basic configuration (No additions from the Tank accessory sprue) will make around 17, add those bits and resale price drops to about a fiver, including postage, simply because it's not what the customers want.
Historical armies tend to be better for doing this sort of thing as colour schemes are dictated by the historical units and the painted figures make 2 or 3 times the retail price.
A limited edition model will in all likelyhood go for silly money, as will anything by Forgeworld, but otherwise you're wasting your time trying to paint GW models for e-bay.

ehlijen
29-03-2009, 00:04
Another thing to keep in mind is that ebay is full of people who claim their paint job is 'professional' or something like that and then don't post pictures that show the acual level of quality to a useful degree. I suspect many a person looking for nicely painted minis on ebay got burned once for straight out believing the hyped description and has then decided not to trust any ebay posting at all anymore.

Make sure to post absolutely amazing pictures that meaningfully show off your painting quality if you want to sell on ebay. It won't get those who are put off of looking anymore back, but it will increase the chances that someone believes you when you say your minis are well painted.

Vaktathi
29-03-2009, 00:09
I don't know for sure what the situation is in other Countries like the USA but it certainly seems to be the case here in the UK and I'd like to canvas some opinions on whats going on.

About a year ago I was thinking about trying to make a little extra cash on the side by painting minis and selling them on eBay but as someone over on Warhammer.org rightly pointed out, it's a waste of time unless you're a true master-level painter with a couple of Golden Demon awards under your belt.

As things stand I'm beginning to turn a fair profit by seeking out cheap job-lots of minis and restoring them and reselling them but it would be nice to sell a few painted ones too.

Is everyone these days an expert painter and therefore disinterested in anything less than perfection? Ebay is chock-full of badly painted miniatures so I really don't believe it! So, why is it that if good painters put genuinely well-painted minis on eBay they will at best sell for maybe 10% more than unpainted?

Strange comments I've heard on the subject of painted miniatures include "I won't pay more than retail, period" and "I don't like used models".

I've gotten pretty good at painting, not Golden Demon level of course (I have yet to get to grips with NMM techniques) but good enough that I'll probably start up a gallery on Cool Mini Or Not and it seems a shame to have a skill going to waste.

To me the price that people are willing to pay for a painted miniature is the most honest rating of how much they really like it, so why does a model of - say a tank or dragon - that has had maybe ten hours of work and attention lavished on it sell for 5 above retail? You've got to be nuts to work for 50 pence an hour!

A couple reasons:

First, people like their own paint schemes. Buying someone else's isn't the same. They also may want different stuff assembled differently or with extra bits, etc.

Second, paying a premium for painting, unless it's amazing is simply out of most peoples budgets, especially if it's not a scheme they are in love with. Paying triple for a painted tank versus painting it yourself at a lower level of awesomeness just simply isn't an options for the majority of players.

Third, expanding a force painted by someone else can often be awkward, as you'd need to constantly go back to that person to paint anything new for that army unless you are ok with it looking out of place with the rest of the army.

If you have a choice between spending $800 on a painted army and $300 on unpainted brand new stuff that you can paint yourself, most people are going to choose the latter, and are simply unable and/or unwilling to pay much more for the reasons above.

Zephro
29-03-2009, 00:22
I mostly play historical and frankly it's more about the gaming to me. SO I don't see anything wrong with buying pre painted really. It's just a hobby and if people don't like painting themselves then fair enough, saying otherwise is just crappy snobbery.

Also with historical colour schemes are slightly less of an issue as everyone is trying to go for the same scheme. So the painting standard thing is a little different.

I think the reason it's rare for people to do is the cost.

Seriously if people are charging 4 a figure or around 100 a battalion. That's just crazily infeasible when most miniatures I buy are from 30p-1 each MAX.

I do enjoy painting myself but occasionally wish I had cash to bump up my ACW and Napoleonic armies with painted figures rather than having to paint hundreds myself.

Spyral
29-03-2009, 00:39
Its also a problem because you are limited in your expansion as you will not be able to exactly reproduce the technique used by the commercial painter so you are beholden to them for expanding your army. Not good!

the1stpip
29-03-2009, 01:52
I think a large part of the problem is skepticism.

How many times have we laughed at people's 'pro-painted' ebay auctions. It is so easy to get ripped off now.

But I think that it is down to money. What little disposable income I have goes on buying models. I can't afford to have someone else paint them.

And I don't lik the idea. It does feel like cheating.

Giganthrax
29-03-2009, 01:59
The main reason why I never buy painted minis off ebay:

1 - they tend to be more expensive even when the painting quality is subpar
2 - they won't fit the rest of my army anyway
3 - even if they have the same color pattern as the rest of my army (highly unlikely) they're still probably painted with different paints or with a different painting style and will still end up not fitting the rest of my army
4 - pictures rarely give you a clear view of how exactly a mini is painted
5 - painting and modeling is a hobby for me, I want to paint my miniatures

To tell you the truth, I'd only ever buy a painted miniature from ebay if it was really cheap, and I really couldn't afford to buy a new one. It's what I did with my land raider.

dodicula
29-03-2009, 03:00
Well, most of the "pro painted" miniautures on ebay are a bad joke, and the ones that aren't either don't match my army or hideously expensive. I have bought several armies though and got a few through commissions of painters whose work I like on ebay, and not cheap eith (I bought a unit of 8 brettonian knights painted to my specificatation for 25 bucks each+minis + shipping). My criteria are:

Can I do a better job in a reasonable amount of time (no in bretonnians case)
Is the lot well painted and a significant part of an army for less than 1K
Do I need/want the army.
If there is a reserve on it, or lots of people bidding I wont go for it
Pictures- lots of armies don't get bought because the seller doesn't put clear pictures/

victorpofa
29-03-2009, 04:43
People want cheap on ebay, and the models likely won't match the buyer's existing force, or future expansions to boot.

Bookwrak
29-03-2009, 07:31
That's the real reason for it. I play brown and green marines. It doesn't matter how nicely painted a squad is. If they're red and gold marines, they're not going to fit well with my force at all, thus leaving them with even less intrinsic value in my eyes than if they were unpainted plastic.

Gorbad Ironclaw
29-03-2009, 07:50
As is evident from many of the replies people don't generally go on eBay to buy painted models, unless it's models of an exceptional quality. If they want painted stuff I see it much more in commission work for various painters etc.

So you just don't have as many people willing to pay much money for painted models on eBay as that's not why they are there. It's just the wrong place to sell painted models if it's suppose to give a lot of profit as the buyers on the marked generally isn't there for that type of product. So once you get near retail price for a model most bidders will drop out, so there are only a few left to drive up the price of it.

I know I won't pay extra for a paint job on there. I'm looking for cheap models on eBay, I don't care if they are painted, in fact I'd prefer them not to be. Not that I really enjoy painting that much, but I do want to do it myself.

Rick_1138
29-03-2009, 10:46
I have sold mini's on ebay for a few years now, usually as i like to paint but never get time to play the game as often as i used to.

I only sell armies, as has been said, individual models only sell if they are independant charcters (that are very good quality) squads or poorly painted mini's are a waste of ebay fees.

However i recently sold a 3000 point wood elf army for 650. I started it at 50 and let it go from there. A lot of people don't have time to paint but want a nice army, they have disposable income and want to get it quickly.

If you put something on ebay always start at a lowish price, i have seen so many armies on for Buy it Now at 300 - 400, no one is going to whack down that in a oner, most auctions that rocket in price are bidding wars, i was hoping for 250 for my wood elves (they were nicely painted, very high tabletop, but not Golden demon or anything like that, but 3 people really liked it and i made some friends and repeat buyers out of that auction.

But the main jist of this is, paint armies, in a uniform colour with a base, and they will usually sell, you just have to understand, your pride and joy may only go for 1 bid at 50 or for 45 bids at 650, you never know.

Killmaimburn
29-03-2009, 12:51
I wonder who will buy painted minis?I do.
I got a cumulative fracture of the distal radius (wrist bones turned to mashed potato) a few years back, caused a fair chunk of finer motor skills to fall off (I was a crap enough painter/hand writer before). I love the game, I hate trying to put all my effort/time into painting something and then someone making a negative judgement about me as a player- because I can't paint.(the two are not the same) thats time I could have been having fun gaming, and I'd still get the bad looks either way;).
So I have a few HQ pieces and a few elite squads that look pretty from ebay, so my opponents can look at pretty things.The rest I paint myself, I try,they don't look good I can't take a great pride in them but about 90% is painted by me.(I did buy the painted core forces of one of my 7 armies, but that was from a retiring GW bloke)
If I've made something pretty, green stuff/bits and tricks/mashup I try to convince a friend (used to batch paint the window displays for GW back in late 80s early 90s) to make it look pretty for me.
I have friends who paint minis and will not play the game, I'm just the reverse thats all.

Hellgore
29-03-2009, 13:36

Maybe it's also the problem that the minis are already expensive on their own so to keep your money somewhat in balance you have to assemble/paint yourself. I personally can't see myself paying an honest price for well-painted minis as it would normally exceed the base cost of them, so I leave it to somebody who can afford it. I have already seen some well painted minis on ebay, but 30 euros for a single veteran or devastator marine? Not in my financial world. And as long as I am expanding my armies for me it's more getting the necessary models initially than have them painted. I have a friend though that I give some special models to paint, like Calgar and his honour guard. And he takes some 5 Euros per model as he is more in the painting/assembling hobby than playing. And he doesn't want to make a living of it. It finances him his stuff, so he occasionally does some of those minis I don't dare to paint.

sigur
29-03-2009, 13:59
People want cheap on ebay, and the models likely won't match the buyer's existing force, or future expansions to boot.

Agreed. Especially with all the new quick-painting methods like dipping, this airbrush gun thing and washes that work well, it's not that hard to get an army painted any more so neatly painted squads won't go for much.

Also, my main motivation to buy on ebay is to get OOP miniatures I can paint. While I have a look at the miniatures before I strip them and send out some "like"s to the universe if the mini has been painted nicely by the previous owner, I still would repaint it.

Seriously, what do you do with an OK painted squad in a totally different colour scheme than the rest of your army? If you want to make money, you have to have some capable painting slaves and a "GS sheet printing machine" like scibor. I.e. you have to do 1st class showcase stuff that is not for gamers but for rich people who want to put something on their shelves. The whole thing has nothing to do with the financial crisis or somesuch.

Beatomadic
29-03-2009, 15:06
I personally love painting and building terrain almost more then I love playing so I would never buy a model off ebay because, it takes all the fun out of the game for me and it wouldn't match. Just ask your self this question have you ever bought a model off ebay and used it just the way it was painted? If not then why are you confused?

Count de Monet
29-03-2009, 15:31
I've bought painted minis and armies on ebay, have sold painted minis and armies on ebay, and know others who have.

Generally if I'm building an army I plan to build and paint it up myself. So I typically look for:

-Unpainted minis - assembled or not depending. I like my bits, so full sprues are a plus for me. An assembled squad with no 'spares' would often be worth less to me than the original on the sprue full kit.

-Painted minis - don't have a real problem with them, but I'm not seeking them out. If I can get a painted mini for the same or less than an unpainted one I will and will just strip it. I generally won't buy a painted fig/unit and add it as-is to an army. Painted vehicles and larger pieces I'll generally avoid.

-Whole painted army - definitely not looking for it, but if I stumble upon one that looks good and has what I want, will consider it. A while back I was looking for an Eldar army as a gaming army, not especially caring about the painting piece of it. Happened upon a pretty well painted one that had everything I wanted, bought it. Touched up a few things, used it for several years, resold it for a bit more than I bought it for. I have friends who have bought several painted armies and use them. IMO the paintjob is generally incidental, for 'tabletop' standards it's often not a selling point except for a few people - armies often sell for less than the sum of their parts.

-Large minis - If I can get a big model (esp metal) already assembled (but hopefully unpainted) the way I want it, that's a plus for me.

-Conversions - cool conversions are a plus for me.

Generally I'd say don't sell stuff on ebay to try to make a profit, except for OOP figs and really well-done armies or HQ figs. For other stuff, sell it because you're not using it and it's better to make at least some of your money back.

Valmont
29-03-2009, 16:37
I do mostly paint for hire rather than my own stuff lately just do to the need for money. You'd be amazed how many people will pay good money for a solid paint job. I'll never claim I'm golden daemon quality, but I'm a good solid B/B+ level painter, and I turn away more jobs than I take simply because there are so many who are willing to pay for painted models.

That said, I'd never sell on ebay, I'll only ever do commission work face to face.

Egaeus
29-03-2009, 16:42
One interesting thing I want to comment on is people talking about the expense. Personally, I don't think that's a very strong argument.

Even if you paint an army yourself you're going to make an investment, both in cash for supplies (paints, brushes, flock, etc.) and in time.

I believe a great deal of the issue is that people don't value their "hobby time" in the same manner as they do their "work time". Now obviously if the painter is tyring to make some money and charging what one would consider an exorbitant fee then people aren't going to pay it. I think this is still part of a perception that you paint "for fun", so if you get paid for doing something you would be doing for enjoyment anyways then it is somehow worth less than "real work". Also, there is the distinction between when it is just work versus craftsmanship...if you are just getting a paint job so your models look passable when you play then it is much more likely that you will view the painting process as just a job and won't be willing to put that much "extra" cash into it.

Cane
29-03-2009, 16:59
I say the number one reason no one wants well-painted (ie expensive) models on Ebay:

Ebayers, by and large, are hunting and sniping for bargains. If your item doesn't provide enough of a saving they'll move on or wait for what they want to show up.

Neal's www.thewarstore.com has pre-painted models available for sell but I'm not sure how he gets the merchandise. Affiliating yourself with a website for GW products in addition to Ebay could help.

sigur
29-03-2009, 18:21
I do mostly paint for hire rather than my own stuff lately just do to the need for money. You'd be amazed how many people will pay good money for a solid paint job. I'll never claim I'm golden daemon quality, but I'm a good solid B/B+ level painter, and I turn away more jobs than I take simply because there are so many who are willing to pay for painted models.

Yeah, uhm, that's nice and all but not really the topic. Yes, there are lots of people who pay incredibly much for commission painting and if you ask me, this is where money can be made if you insist on it (btw, if you really want to make money from that, you have to abandon all the fun and make up a darned good recipe for painting black and white space marines).

Dr. Hellbeast
29-03-2009, 18:29
I personally think that clicking Buy-It-Now just can't compete with the feeling of pride you experience when you've put the brush down and look at a mini you've just painted yourself, regardless of your level of ability. :)

Bookwrak
29-03-2009, 18:49
On the other hand, who gives a damn about pride? I just don't want unpainted models in my army.

NealSmith
29-03-2009, 19:42
I agree with most of what has been said. I am doing my own DIY SM chapter at the moment, so you won't have them painted the way they need to be... I promise... :)

However... When I start working on some Ultramarines... I'll probably try to buy painted stuff since a lot of folks paint this chapter. I will try to pick out a seller that is fairly consistently putting up units. Buying from multiple sources is riskier.

Askari
29-03-2009, 19:57
Like NealSmith touched on above. it helps if you paint to standard colour schemes also... so Ultramarines will sell better than White Consuls, and for Fantasy, I basically paint the same scheme as is on the box, then it's far more likely to "fit into someone's army".

Cool_Mint
29-03-2009, 20:34
Warning: The following image may hurt your eyes.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f317/clawador/Crappy%20minis/IMG_0184.jpg

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
29-03-2009, 20:41

Huge offer! Space Marine Command Squad, Pro Painted! Eleven-time Golden Daemon Winner!

I'm sure I've seen that auction before...

isaac
29-03-2009, 20:46
That has to be joke....

blameless
29-03-2009, 21:47
it helps if you paint to standard colour schemes also... so Ultramarines will sell better than White Consuls, and for Fantasy, I basically paint the same scheme as is on the box, then it's far more likely to "fit into someone's army".

Ditto!

I always paint to a "high GW replica standard" :)

I get anywhere from 60US-160US dollars for these mini's on ebay
(although i haven't sold any for two years so things might have changed)

This insures a market for the product you are selling,

I found that it was best to paint and sell the most current codex miniatures and only popular ones at that.

So crack out your blue paint and get used to painting Marneus Calgar (see my avatar :D)

Sttucker13
30-03-2009, 15:26

Why are you linking to my Ebay auction pictures?

sigur
30-03-2009, 15:36
There's a thing I have forgot to mention: IF you try to sell painted minis, sell them to the US. In my experience, people there are willing to pay MUCH more for some reason.

@Cool_Mint: Stop posting that all over the forums. I mean, what's the point you want to make apart from "lol look @ dat he sux"?

szlachcic
30-03-2009, 15:47
I agree with the others that if you want to make money painting minis you should do them on an army level or at the very least a squad in a popular paint scheme.

I am going to disagree with those that stick up their noses at paying people to paint your minis. There were a lot of comments that sound very elitist and is not a good attitude to bring to the hobby. You may personally love painting your minis and only feel an "attachment" to your army when you paint it. However, some people don't have the time or desire to sit down and painstakingly paint an entire army.

I also think it is bull to say that the army doesn't "belong" to you either. Every painting service I have seen lets you give any amount of detailed input regarding any painting choices or assembly. If you plan on a huge amount of conversion work that is crucial to your armies character then just do it yourself or at least give detailed instructions on what you want the end result to be to the person you are paying.

Honestly I would have no problem with anyone that was using a prepainted army or would not be against buying one myself. I think I can make good looking table top quality army, but it takes me forever to complete one unit, let alone an entire army. Sometimes I love painting, but some times it feels like a chore.

I can see where people might get upset at the power gaming tournament player who brings a new "flavor of the month" prepainted army to every tournament, but those people are the minority of those who pay for these services. If someone has the money then it is up to them how they want to spend it. If you don't have that kind of cash to throw around or wouldn't spend that much on the hobby then you may not understand why they would make that desicion. A nicely painted army is fun to play against whether it is painted by that indvidual or they payed someone else to do it IMHO.

Cool_Mint
30-03-2009, 22:40
There's a thing I have forgot to mention: IF you try to sell painted minis, sell them to the US. In my experience, people there are willing to pay MUCH more for some reason.

@Cool_Mint: Stop posting that all over the forums. I mean, what's the point you want to make apart from "lol look @ dat he sux"?

I only posted it once! Besides, they were painted many years ago by a kid (in Wales I think) who by now must be in his 30's so I'm sure he won't be too upset if he should happen to see it. :angel:

I'll definitely look into selling Worldwide, but does anyone know what the most popular type of minis are in the USA? In the UK Games Workshop reigns supreme, but are there ranges by other manufacturers that are more popular in the US?

shin'keiro
31-03-2009, 02:48
For me it's because they have been painted... and probably wont match the colour scheme of my army.

holmcross
31-03-2009, 02:55
When I was a kid, painting really intimidated me. I think the main demographic for pre-painted models os the younger crowd.

Painting and modeling my own units is the primary reason why I play 40k. Take that away, and I think there are better miniature games out there that I'd prefer.

John_J_Rambo
31-03-2009, 03:15
no matter how well a model is painted, people will always like different color schemes. I think that is the main reason. I personally don't care how well a model is painted since I can just strip the paint.:D

LastManOnEarth
31-03-2009, 05:36
I have sort of the opposite need. I like to collect and paint, but don't have the time or resources to play the game. I wonder if I could commission someone to go play my army once every couple of weeks [kinda like hiring a dog walker] and, you know, tell me how I'm doing?

Seriously, though, there's no one right or wrong way to do the hobby. We're all in it for some unique combination of the hobby, gaming, social and background aspects of it. I don't have a problem with somebody who wants to field a nicely painted army but doesn't have the time/skill/inclination/desire to paint it themselves or with somebody who is willing to paint and sell the minis to them. Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I enjoy doing it myself, even if I'm not particularly great or quick. I can also see that many other people wouldn't buy painted minis for this or other reasons mentioned by others [color schemes, cost, quality, risk].

Best of luck to you, though.

LMoE

Vaktathi
31-03-2009, 05:40
wait, you have time to paint but no time to play?

I have the exact opposite problem. It only takes a couple hours a week to get in a game or two. It takes days upon days to get stuff painted, so I always end up playing instead of painting :p

scarletsquig
31-03-2009, 13:01
Personal opinion:

I would pay pretty well (say, 1.50/figure) for a service that:

- removes models from the sprue
- removes the mould lines properly
- assembles them
- adds sand to the base
- undercoats them

A lot of people enjoy painting their own models, but do not enjoy the assembly/ mould line removal stage.

I'm surprised that no commission painters have thought of offering a service like that.

As for commission work, the best thing to do would be to set up your own custom-built website, figure out a way to paint a model in 15 minutes to a decent standard, get a trade account with GW and sell painted stock direct, with no basing so that people can do their own basing that ties in with the rest of their army.

Start with the 5 most popular SM chapters and take it from there. I'm pretty sure that any website that offered fully painted Ultramarines /Space Wolves/ Dark Angels/ Blood Angels/ Black Templars models, at a price point of say 35 for a painted tactical squad would get quite a lot of business. Trade price on the tactical squad would be around 10, so you'd have to work out a way to make painting the whole squad for 25 economical with a massive white undercoat/ airbrushed basecoat, neat detailing assembly line method of painting.

Then, add in a custom form to the site so people can pick what special weapon they want, or upgrade the heavy weapon to a different one for an extra 2 and you'll attract even more business. Add customizable characters to the form, offer magnetism options on the tanks etc. to improve it further. Thinking up of a business model is easy.

There are people out there who have successfully painted an entire company of Marines in a weekend to a good standard, so I think that a painting business has potential, like any business it just needs to be organized and done properly. Faffing around on eBay is probably the worst way to go about it.

The boyz
31-03-2009, 13:28
I'm generally of the same opinion as most people. I just prefer to paint my own miniature's. I have considered in the past buying fully painted armies from ebay. It's just, it never really feel's quiet right.

Part of the joy of table top wargaming for me, is the whole painting and creating my own army.

precinctomega
31-03-2009, 13:56
What an interesting thread.

I'm a professional miniature painter. By that I mean that my principle source of income is selling painted models. I make enough to cover my younger son's childcare and to support the development and improvements of my house. My wife's income pays for everything else. I make about 100-150 per week. I sell exclusively through eBay auction and the vast majority of my auctions begin at 99p. People seem happy to pay between 10 and 20 per miniature for my work.

The problem for most people is Cost/Benefit Analysis. For example, I know of an outstanding US artist who recently sold an item on eBay for $2000. But the item in question represented over 2000 hours of work. That's less than $1/hour. I, on the other hand, paint like lightning. I finish one high-quality miniature per day (I'm running slow at the moment, as I have other business to attend to) and my working day is from 0930 to 1430, to fit around school and nursery and making dinner and suchlike.

Of course, the other oft-unanticipated cost is the one of materials. Generally speaking, if I spend 10 on a model from GW I'll sell it for 20, making a 10 profit. Alternatively, I could pick up a model for 99p on eBay and sell it for the same amount: ka-ching! I don't always get to paint what I want to, of course.

That brings me to the third point: if you're painting models for profit, you have to ask yourself what people are likely to want to buy. People who buy painted models do so for one of two purposes: gaming or display. Those who buy for gaming are more restricted in their needs and budgets, but are more numerous, than those who buy as collectors to display. The best miniature is one that fits both categories. Character models are a great place to go: they don't need to fit in so tightly with a gamer's army, could be used by RPGers or could just be display pieces. But they tend to be expensive to start with. So you need to go snipe models on eBay for a discount, trade or take the hit.

R.

Sir_Turalyon
31-03-2009, 14:07
Why to pay for extra paint job on mini I'm going to strip and repaint anyway? In ten years of wargaming, only once I happened upon second hand mini painted so well I could not bring myself to strip it.

O&G'sRule
31-03-2009, 14:11
you don't see many well painted models. Most of the time the title or description says they are, but the pics say otherwise.

loveless
31-03-2009, 14:20
1) It probably won't match their current army, even if if they're an Ulthwe player buying an Ulthwe model - painting styles and paint brands are different enough.
2) If someone is lazy enough to buy painted models, they're probably just as lazy to not bother painting models at all - ergo, why pay the extra?
3) If someone just wants enough for a tournament standard, they only need 3 colours. It's not that hard to basecoat black, throw on some boltgun metal, and colour in eyes with blood red. This is almost certainly cheaper than buying a painted miniature of any quality.
4) From NMM to Truescaling to ultra-highlighting to that weird cel-shaded look - there are just too many styles of painting and modeling to appeal to everyone, which is going to drive your bid count down on eBay. That's a decrease from the already small group of people seeking out painted miniatures.

Captain Micha
31-03-2009, 16:25
I think it's the vast different paintstyles out there for one.

For another.. alot of so called "pro painted" are worse than the first mini I've ever painted personally. (A **** brown Autarch comes to mind that I saw on Ebay)

Sholto
31-03-2009, 16:33
Painted minis I would buy on Ebay:-

1. Special characters. It does not matter so much if Kharn does not fit with the rest of my army. He's Kharn.

2. Whole armies. Done it before, and would do it again. Wish I had the money to do it more often!

3. Reinforcements. Not quite a whole army, but several squads all painted and based the same way, so you can claim, for example, that here come the Steel Legion. Or the Kroot.

4. Weird squads. I have in mind things that should not look like they belong to any army, such as penal troopers, arco-flagellants, vespids and so on. They are meant to look apart/ separate to the rest of your army.

5. Ludicrously cheap. This is not really anything to do with whether they are painted or not, but if the model has been badly underpriced by the seller and I want one, I will buy it painted or not (eg. FW Heavy Gun Drones for less than 1/2 price - that was a lucky day on Ebay!)

And, of course, in addition to meeting one of the above criteria they would have to actually be well painted.

Everything else I would be unlikely to even consider buying.

Sholto

Ddraiglais
31-03-2009, 19:38
Others have pointed out the reasons why I won't spend money on painted miniatures. Even a GD level paint job doesn't appeal to me because:

1- More than likely, the mini in question doesn't match my army. I will just be stripping it anyways.

2- Even if the mini does match mine, it would probably bring up the fact that I'm not a great painter every time I used it.

3- A lot of people are a little.... shall we say too proud of their work. Some of the paintjobs are awesome. Some don't measure up. Either way, the charge for painted minis is usually higher than other things I could get on Ebay.

If you really want to be creative and probably make a bit of money, why not do some conversions? You could offer to paint the minis for an additional price. I for one love some of the conversions on Ebay, but I don't want to be bothered stripping the paint. I wish more people would just do conversions without painting them.

Cool_Mint
31-03-2009, 22:40
What an interesting thread.

I'm a professional miniature painter. By that I mean that my principle source of income is selling painted models.

R.

I recognize that name. A Yahoo Answers wave to Precinct Omega. :p

Makiaveli
31-03-2009, 23:58
Apologies if this has been mentioned, but I didn't see it as I skimmed thru.

The problem the OP is facing is a common one when non-business people try their hand at business, especially sales.

He is trying to sell the service he wants to provide, rather than provide the service the customers want.

People, as a rule, don't want "randomly" painted minis. So don't do it. Buy the minis as before, put them on Ebay with a note saying they can be painted for X amount in Y time frame. Include a link to examples of your work (make it your site ASAP as opposed to Photobucket or some such so that more people will believe it is your site and thus your minis.)

Oh and so this isn't completely off topic.... Dark Angles Rules!! (sorry just read the typo thread and couldn't resist :D)

LastManOnEarth
01-04-2009, 02:30
wait, you have time to paint but no time to play?

I have the exact opposite problem. It only takes a couple hours a week to get in a game or two. It takes days upon days to get stuff painted, so I always end up playing instead of painting :p

All joking aside, this is true. Although I live in one of the biggest cities in the U.S. (San Francisco) the closest gaming stores with active WH/40K crowds are across the bridges in the east bay (Oakland, Berkeley and points farther still) and close too early. On weekdays I'd have to leave work early to rush to get in to play a smallish game. Saturdays is devoted to band practice (those asses don't rock themselves), which leaves early Sunday as my only real option.

If you live close to a good gaming store (or gaming club situation) that is open and active when you have the time, consider yourself fortunate.

On the other hand, I can usually devote an hour or two after work to painting on most nights if I choose. It's a good way to relax and exercise the other half of my brain after a day of work.

Personal opinion:

I would pay pretty well (say, 1.50/figure) for a service that:

- removes models from the sprue
- removes the mould lines properly
- assembles them
- adds sand to the base
- undercoats them

A lot of people enjoy painting their own models, but do not enjoy the assembly/ mould line removal stage.

That's funny; there's nothing I like BETTER than to assemble units of plastic models. Maybe that's why I have so many armies of unpainted (but assembled!) units. In fact, I'd pay slightly more for unpainted, unassembled models on eBay than for unpainted but assembled models.

Just goes to show that everyone enjoys (or not) the different aspects of the hobby in their own unique way.

LMoE

Vaktathi
01-04-2009, 03:11
If you live close to a good gaming store (or gaming club situation) that is open and active when you have the time, consider yourself fortunate. I live a block and a half away from my gamestore :p

But alas rarely have time to paint due to projects and assignments. (masters programs suck)

The last things I've painted (almost a month ago) were 20 little Flames of War winter Grenadiers.

precinctomega
01-04-2009, 10:11
A Yahoo Answers wave to Precinct Omega.

Hi, Cool_Mint! Glad you could make it. Yeah... I spend way too much time answering Warhammer-related questions on Y!A.

R.

Industrial Propaganda
01-04-2009, 10:21
I payed over 1000 in the past ten years into painting comissions. I simply not have the time to paint my armies (but I have the money). I only pay someone with skills and a professional homepage showing his stuff, never a wannabe pro-painter from E-bay.

Brucopeloso
01-04-2009, 11:20
Well I tried selling well painted armies on e-bay (have too many armies and not enough space :cries: ) with mixed success. Having said that the cost of posting an army on e-bay is not huge and well worth a try.

Ddraiglais
02-04-2009, 06:21
I payed over 1000 in the past ten years into painting comissions. I simply not have the time to paint my armies (but I have the money). I only pay someone with skills and a professional homepage showing his stuff, never a wannabe pro-painter from E-bay.

Well, that's the best way to go if you have the money and lack the time. It's not only good that you get what you want, but there's another advantage I think you're overlooking. If you add to your army, you can get the same style paintjob (if the person/company is still in business).

brassangel
02-04-2009, 06:29
The primary reason tends to be that people want to add your units to their own army, so they'll just be painting over yours (which results in lost detail) or they'll strip the miniatures, which is time they have to spend.

Otherwise, they end up with an army composed of mis-matched miniatures, which doesn't look good - and for quite a few people, assembling the minis or painting them is half the pleasure.

I disagree. At least based on what goes on in my area. Most people won't buy painted Troops or other bulk units, simply because of the mis-match possibilities. People do by well painted characters, however, to be the showpiece of their armies.

For example, there are two Crimson Fists players at my FLGS who have purchased painted Pedro Kantor models to save themselves the trouble of potentially botching a highly detailed and recognized figure.

maelstrom66669
02-04-2009, 17:23
For as much as the little plastic men cost, I want to have some decision on the way they look for one. For two, im not paying 10 dollars extra for some lump of paint that looks like a kindergarten art project.

madprophet
03-04-2009, 00:08
I have both bought and sold models on eBay. I used to be a GW Outrider so I have a ton of there stuff, lots of which I will NEVER get to. I sold a Cadian army (conversions, assembled and primed/based coated) for about 75% of retail. Now, it was almost pure profit for me since the miniatures cost me $0.

The most I ever paid for a single model on eBay was $20 for a truly AWESOME paint up of Captain Chenkov (which serves as my army commander for my Valhallan army). The painter was from Poland and this was a few years back (the greenback was worth more then). Since then I purchased a reasonably well painted Empire army for WFB for $100 (it came out to about $0.50 a figure) simply because it was a good deal. I once traded enough terrain to cover a 6x4' table to a local professional artist for a very well painted WFB army (I am told I am a good terrain/building maker) - that was nice because we both came away thinking we got the better of the deal.

I have purchased individual pre-paints as characters (I just picked up a Reaper minis plastic Balthian pre-paint to serve as the magus for my genestealer cult and a few Warcraft pre-painted Ogres to serve in my Xanthan renegades force) At about $5 a pop from my FLGS they are cheaper than the GW equivalent and being table ready saves me time as well.

I have picked up a piece here and there on ebay that was prepainted. I did pay about $20 for a squad of Valhallans. The scheme was close to that of my army (I just had to repaint their coats - about an hour of work) so it was worth while. But again, buying a squad of unpainted figs would cost $35, so it was a good deal besides.

If you are going to sell painted stuff on eBay, stick to characters or stuff with a required paint scheme (like IG commissars - I snapped up a set of 5 painted commissars at my FLGS for $5 a pop and a painted Yarrick for $8. All they needed was rebasing to match my Valhallan army)

Logarithm Udgaur
03-04-2009, 00:27
Let me preface this by saying that a true artist does what they do because they have no other choice but to die. If you are looking to make money, Art is the wrong field to go into.

Having said all that, the only painted mini that I have ever sold on E-bay was the Terminator that came with WD awhile back. It went for something like $30US, and took me about 5-7 hours to modify and paint as a Legion of the Damned Terminator.

Skyrir
03-04-2009, 01:03
Well, cuz as you siad, people want near protection or models to repaint but the really good 'eavy metal standard models are ridiculously overpriced.

AlmightyNocturnus
03-04-2009, 02:45
Well, there is a market for this sort of service. I think there are as many (if not more) people who hate painting as those who get satisfaction and enjoyment from it. Why people don`t buy painted miniatures off Ebay?

* Unfortunately, people who don`t paint their armies are obviously not concerned about the appearance of their armies and therefore don`t want to spend the time OR money to get their armies painted. I realize this is a generalization (I`m sure there are exceptions, but basically this generalization is true).

* As many have pointed out, it`s difficult to buy things off Ebat that will fit in with the pain scheme of one`s army. As many have already mentioned - commission work is better at filling this need.

* The painter`s themselves don`t seem to have an idea what people want. I always see "painted - Marneus Calgar" or "painted - Daemon Prince". But a person`s army only needs one of those, so I think a glut of painted characters and heroes has occured. Plus, even nebies and painters lacking in skill/experience get get excited about painting the leader of their own army, it`s the 75 gaunts, 63 Ork Boys, 48 Guardsmen with lasguns that make people give up on painting. I think painting services would be more successful if they focused on painting the "boring stuff".

* Lastly, some "pro painters" on Ebay are actually not that good. They angle the picture a certain way and after you buy the mini and get it, the results are quite disappointing. I`ve gotten "pro" and "master" painted minis with simple color arrangements, plenty of mistakes, un-filed seems in the plastic/metal, and even unpainted backs/undersides! (the parts that weren`t shown in the picture). These few bad apples kind of ruin it for the people who are painting some equality stuff.

To make a long story short, if you can avoid the above pitfalls, I think you can be successful with this sort of business venture. Good luck.

Almighty Nocturnus

noobzor
03-04-2009, 03:54
it is quite simple- I never like the color scheme :)

dodicula
03-04-2009, 07:53
Why to pay for extra paint job on mini I'm going to strip and repaint anyway? In ten years of wargaming, only once I happened upon second hand mini painted so well I could not bring myself to strip it.

Amen, my response to most "pro painted" ads is: "Are you high?"