PDA

View Full Version : sorceress on dark pegasus?

dwarfhold13
28-03-2009, 18:11
how many of you DE players use the sorceress on a dark pegasus?? how effective is it setup in games?
Jon

Durloth
28-03-2009, 18:28
I`ve used it a couple of times. The lesson I`ve learned is for her to be effective, you need complete magical superiority and loads of fast troops to take out or tie up enemy shooting.

Having a supermobile sorceress that can freely decide which angles the panic-tests she causes will come from and getting her spells into range of anything important is priceless. If the enemy have enough shooting or magic to limit her maneouverability, she is probably better off on foot, in a unit though.

Mooglemen
28-03-2009, 19:41
There was a great thread on this lady on druchii a few months back. The point of a sorc on pegasus is to expand the utility of your scroll caddy.

A basic level 1 sorceress with 2 dispel scrolls weighs in at 150 points. The problem with her is that after her scrolls have been expended (usually in 2-4 turns based on the magic level of your opponent) she has lost all her value to you. Her one level of magic isn't going to do much and she's stuck on foot waiting to die, or just hiding out the rest of the game.
Now, for 85 more points you can upgrade her to lvl 2 and get her a dark pegasus. This makes her the "Aggressive Scroll Caddy". The extra level of magic gives her a greater chance of getting a spell off as the game progress, plus you won't have to swap out the higher level spells for the magic missile if you roll them.

Also, the pegasus gives her the mobility to cast at what you want to cast at, rather than just casting at whatever is in range of her parent unit.

Furthermore, the strength and mobility of the DP is not to be ignored. Suddenly your lowly sorceress is capable of threatening flanks, march-blocking, and warmachine hunting. Yes, I am actually suggesting that you throw your sorceress into combat! That peggy has strength 5 attacks on the charge, so put them to use. Combined with the sorceresses attacks, they should be enough to put down a warmachine crew, or add that extra bit of combat res to a close fight.

The point here is that by adding 85 points to your basic scroll caddy, you get a unit whose usefulness is extended into the second half of the game. Plus, she can be a nasty surprise. How many opponents actually expect you to charge something with her?

Braad
28-03-2009, 19:57
I once had my opponent fielding one (I think it was actually morathi) once.

She got charged by a fully equipped Warboss on Wyvern on turn 1...

I don't think he ever fielded her again.

So yeah, be carefull with it, that's what I can say. But personally I think those models are really cool to field, even if not fully justifiable pointswise. And I truly agree with the others that mobility can be very nice, either to hide, get in range or even help out in combats. I'm a bit unaware of the current Dark elf magic item list, but maybe there are a few items that could be used to enhance her capabilities. No-body expects that uber-killy sword of doom on that silly sorceress lady... Those things can allow for game changing surprises.

fubukii
28-03-2009, 22:08
sorc lord, on dark peg with focus familar. Need i say more?

O&G'sRule
28-03-2009, 22:10
I like the sacrificial dagger so its not for me, I don't like how much of a target she is either

Makarion
28-03-2009, 22:26
I like the sacrificial dagger so its not for me, I don't like how much of a target she is either

They are not exclusive choices. Sorceress lady on pegasus with focus familiar and reverse ward save, sorceress heroine with dagger and darkstar cloak or scroll in a unit of spears.

SuperArchMegalon
28-03-2009, 22:41
sorc lord, on dark peg with focus familar. Need i say more?

I've never seen her fielded on a Dark Peg, but this was my first thought when reading the topic.

dwarfhold13
29-03-2009, 02:16
dude.. i don't know why i've never considered that focus familiar before.. thats incredible.. even for a chicka in a unit of spears.. the fact that you can see a full 360 without turning is awesome!
the only reason i ask is because i think she would be a cool piece to field in my all riden/monster dark elf list.. going to be hard to fit in there though with so many points going only to 70ish figures
Jon

fubukii
29-03-2009, 13:29
yea the peg is great on a focus familar sorc, because she can hide behind terrain and still see, then in addition if he needs to get away you can fly away and still cast spells where ever you want. in addition you can use it to net yourself a extra 6 inches of range. Simply a amazing magic item, one of the better ones in the game.

Wintermute
29-03-2009, 14:16
I'm moving this thread to Fantasy Tactics

Wintermute

sroblin
29-03-2009, 20:09
I think the main limitation of the tactic would generally be that a mounted sorceress on her own is very vulnerable to shooting. The clever use of a focus familiar would of course mitigate this vulnerability, terrain permitting (it's truly an imaginitive and handy magic item), but it's still a problem I think. Still, the dark lore has a lot of short range spells, and the flight mobility could help make the best of them.

sulla
30-03-2009, 05:13
I built 2 in anticipation of our 7th edition rules but haven't really had an opportunity to use them since my opponents are all so powerful magically at the moment (at leas t 8 levels of magic fo my chaos, VC and Lizard opponents) that magic defense seems a better bet than offense.

I had visions of a dragon lord and 2 peg sorceresses but haven't really had the opportunity.

Daxio
01-04-2009, 17:47
i have used two level 2 mages on two occasions now, both on DP, and against khemri they were the making of the game, ruled the magic phase and survived till the end. against dwarfs the other week, they may as well have stayed in the box, no magic cast at all and shot to pieces by rather nasty bolt throwers.
so i have a mixed view of them, i will play test them further and perhaps try out the familiar; only with one i think, can't justify two- points wise.

theunwantedbeing
01-04-2009, 17:56
The big drawback is the price, its easy to have a mage costing over 200pts.

The big advantage is manoverability.
She's not all that vulnerable to shooting either. The dark pegasus is a monstrous mount, so she's only taking on average a 3rd of the hits that hit the model.
That's a 3+ ward effectively!

If you have 2, I'de give one the focus familiar and the other the lifetaker crossbow.

Daxio
01-04-2009, 19:46
sounds good, i like the life taker crossbow and i definately feel that the pair deserve another bite of the cherry, will let you know if it is a success. but gonna be a while, have a broken collar bone at moment, too painfull to lean across a table!

bob_the_small
06-04-2009, 20:38
Just use a harpy skirmish screen and she'll live...

Rubicon
06-04-2009, 22:04
Unless you get hit by area effect spells, then it's a whole world of hurt

bob_the_small
07-04-2009, 21:58
But how many AOE spells are there? There can only be so many.. give her Focus Familiar, DP, Dispel Scroll and harpy screen

Malorian
07-04-2009, 22:11
Harpy screens are easily cleared (magic phase you blast the harpies, shooting phase you cannon the high sorceress).

I've gone against this combo a good dozen times and most of the time it ended with the high sorceress being killed.

If you ask me just give her a dagger, put her in a big unit of spearmen, and go nuts.

bob_the_small
07-04-2009, 22:36
What i do is i put the LVL 2 on the DP, then if she dies.. Big whoop