PDA

View Full Version : horn of urgok

rtunian
28-03-2009, 18:42
does the effect of this item mainly buff/debuff break rolls ???

it is a bound item, so you have to use it in the magic phase, correct? and since it only lasts until end of turn, and not 'until next magic phase', you can't benefit from it on animosity, stupidity, fear, or any other of the 900 leadership tests that orcs and goblins have to take???

is it me or is this item a rip off at 40 points?

the horn of urgok - 40 points
bound item, power level 5

when this horn is sounded, all friendly units receive +1 ld, and all enemy units receive -1 ld, until the end of the turn. roll d6 after use, roll 1 and take s5 hit w/no armor save

Braad
28-03-2009, 19:03
Animosity is not taken on leadership, so that doesnt' matter at all.

The biggest use is when you get in combat indeed, and personally I don't think that's a bad thing at all, not even at 40 points...
Also, panic tests caused by shooting, or from spells after the horn was sounded, are done at -1 by your opponent. If you use it in conjunction with the pipes of doom (used in the shooting phase) all the enemy cav in range suddenly test at -1.

And... its every turn, if you get it of. I really don't think you should underestimate the power of this item. If your unit of 400+ worht of points black orcs with warboss suddenly hold instead of break, then you should understand why.

Though I do think it is best used in a magic heavy army, as it otherwise is quite easily dispelled.

sulla
28-03-2009, 21:12
the horn of urgok - 40 points
bound item, power level 5

when this horn is sounded, all friendly units receive +1 ld, and all enemy units receive -1 ld, until the end of the turn. roll d6 after use, roll 1 and take s5 hit w/no armor save

Not too shabby to use on the turn you have one or two crucial combats.

power level 5 means it will probably net 2 dispell dice too. Overpriced but useful in a combat heavy o&g force (not that I see them very often... More magic, war machines and fanatics around my way).

rtunian
28-03-2009, 21:15
erm, well, yes, i uh, knew that... just not when i was typing it!!
*wipes some of the egg off*

i guess my opinion is diminished by my main opponent, vc, essentially not using leadership. it would still be useful if i had the first turn, and could cast it before he nukes the bajeesus out of my guys, but if i don't have the first turn, then it's usefulness (to me) is even more diminished. don't get me wrong, its good to help avoid breaking, but is it worth 40/1500 points? especially since at least once on average it will wound me?

selone
28-03-2009, 23:34
It's good if you can combo it with other things, like almost guaranteed panic tests, other magic or magic items. As said at power level 5 its going to take 2 dispell dice to stop it. If their's combat going on it can be pretty golden too.
Whilst yes it will do on average one strength 5 hit per game, if you use it on an orc you have a 2/6 chance of not being wounded on top of any ward save you may have.

rtunian
28-03-2009, 23:48
no armor save allowed :( at 40 points, the only way i'd have a ward in addition is if it were a savage orc big boss

Braad
29-03-2009, 00:25
Maybe. But you don't have to use it every turn. First turn usually not, as you are not in combat, and it's no use to you in your opponents magic and shooting face.

So maybe turn 2-5 that you actually use it. And then you can put it on a warboss with the armour of gork, and you got only a 2/6 chance that the hit will actually become a wound...
Personally I think I would put such an item on a shaman. Usually when you need their wound stat, they are about to die horribly anyway, so loosing 1 is not that bad.

Mouldsta
29-03-2009, 00:59
I always took one, having effective Ld9 on my nightgoblins (yes I had a black orc and a bunch of night goblins - he stood behind them, blowing the horn) was extremely useful for either holding combat, or at least not panicing when another unit fled through them.

It was also pretty handy because I'd always take a magic heavy army, so it would frequently get through :)

rtunian
29-03-2009, 01:19
I always took one, having effective Ld9 on my nightgoblins (yes I had a black orc and a bunch of night goblins - he stood behind them, blowing the horn) was extremely useful for either holding combat, or at least not panicing when another unit fled through them.

It was also pretty handy because I'd always take a magic heavy army, so it would frequently get through :)

if you put a black orc character in a night goblin unit, would the unit not have to take panic tests caused by fleeing/destroyed goblins/orcs ??

in other words, do the goblins benefit from size matters when they are led by a black orc character ???

selone
29-03-2009, 01:40
No they don't benefit from size matters rtunian. I asked this msyelf :) it's still a unit of night gobbo's.

Braad
29-03-2009, 09:57
There is only one specific exception regarding this matter, and its given for the orc bully, who makes the goblin crew of a warmachine immune to panic caused by other gobbo's and snots. But other than that, no characters give this immunity to their units.

See the size matters rule bit about this. If orc characters would have given the same thing, it would have had a specific mention.

natsirtm
07-04-2009, 19:09
good thread - been considering this in our campaign that just started (i'm an orc noob). thanks guys.