PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out the value of OOP 40k stuff

swarmofseals
28-03-2009, 19:55
Hi all -- I've been considering unloading some of my old minis in order to finance new armies and am having a hard time figuring out what a fair price for some of my stuff is. Unlike many other collectible games (like magic the gathering) there doesn't seem to be a large enough market to support a "price guide" for oop GW stuff.

Do any of you have an idea of how I might figure out what some of this stuff is worth? For example, I have quite a lot of OOP plastic eldar weapon sprues from circa 2nd edition (I think, might be older) and some bare metal eldar models that date back to rogue trader "space elves" days -- although I don't know if these models are that old as identical models show up in later catalogues labeled differently.

Figuring out how much my old doomwheel is worth was easy because there are still enough around that they sell on ebay pretty frequently. But this stuff doesn't show up that often.

Any ideas?

EDIT: One of the things that I have a lot of are the old plastic Eldar assault weapon sprues... I really haven't been able to find many references to those except in some old guides to converting storm guardians.

Cane
28-03-2009, 21:07
Your best bet would probably be frequenting Ebay until those items or ones similar to them come up.

Imperius
28-03-2009, 21:54
Divide however much you paid by half. If you have good quality, no breaks chips or paint flooding maybe 60=70%.

Cool_Mint
28-03-2009, 22:06
Eldar are unpredictable, the original Rogue Trader and "Space Elf" ones can go for 5 (about $7) a piece if collectors are looking for them on the day but I've seen even the rarest ones sell for as little as 50p each.

It's quite frustrating, I've got tons of Eldar I want to sell on eBay (bought 'em cheap and stripped them) but the values go up and down like a yo-yo and I don't want to sell them at the wrong time.

I really like Eldar, they look beautiful when they are well painted but as has been mentioned by several people on another thread I started earlier today, people just won't buy painted minis on eBay unless they are a perfect match for the rest of their armies.

ctsteel
28-03-2009, 22:13
Divide however much you paid by half. If you have good quality, no breaks chips or paint flooding maybe 60=70%.

This logic, while fine for currently available/recent items, doesn't really work for old, rare, out of production items which are in demand for whatever reason. People will pay premiums to secure things they want badly enough, and have trouble finding due to rarity. This depends on the item etc so patience and research is your ally here.

I'd say to bide your time, see what they go for on eBay (I think you can search past auctions as well?). If you have many of the same weapons sprue, put one of them up there for a starting price you feel is fair, see how well it does. Then decide how to go from there. If you flood the market with an OOP but basic item like a weapons sprue that might reduce the overall value of bidding as people are having to decide between them and go for the cheaper option.

Bookwrak
28-03-2009, 22:32
This logic, while fine for currently available/recent items, doesn't really work for old, rare, out of production items which are in demand for whatever reason. People will pay premiums to secure things they want badly enough, and have trouble finding due to rarity. This depends on the item etc so patience and research is your ally here.

Unfortunately, there is very little like this in the Citadel line. There are very few OOP models that are 'redhot' and eageryly sought after.

Anyway, that's the advantage of using an auction system. Even if you under value a item to start, if it is being sought after, the price will be bid up.

Hashshashin
29-03-2009, 02:14
It funny I've been having the same debate, I have the original Harlequin boxed set, and was thinking of selling it, but same thing I'm unsure of the value. Guess I'll hit up eBay and keep watching.

Phunkmanyeman
30-03-2009, 05:17
I'm looking at getting prices on some stuff as well. I've got massive amounts of Epic Space marine era minnies. Specifically I'm after the going price on Imperator Titans & Mega Gargants (I have a few).

Any ideas?

Occulto
30-03-2009, 05:26
I'm looking at getting prices on some stuff as well. I've got massive amounts of Epic Space marine era minnies. Specifically I'm after the going price on Imperator Titans & Mega Gargants (I have a few).

Any ideas?

I'd try selling 'em here:

WAU buy 'n' sell (http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showforum=96)

Epic stuff tends to sell rather quickly on there.

sigur
30-03-2009, 05:28
I've been browsing ebay for OOP stuff a lot in recent years. The Eldar assault weapons sprue indeed seems to be quite rare. On the other hand, I don't think that it's much sought after. If you were to put it on "Buy now", you possibly can get 5 pounds for each. As for RT Eldar, I'll go with those who said that it varies. Single miniatures might go for up to four quid or 50p. Characters like Guardian squad leaders and such might go for a bit more, late RT/2nd edition Eldar aspect warriors won't get you much.

As for the Harlequin boxed set, these show up on ebay quite regularly and go for well over 22 pounds, possibly even 30.

Not too sure on Epic stuff, but big OOP metal titans/gargants tend to go for quite a lot. Especially Gargants I think could make you around 20 pounds as well.

Phunkmanyeman
30-03-2009, 05:32
I'd try selling 'em here:

WAU buy 'n' sell (http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showforum=96)

Epic stuff tends to sell rather quickly on there.

Thanks for that, the problem is that I dont want to commit to a sale until I know what the "going price" is on these pieces. I figure that since they are OOP they should have a reasonable resale value. While I'm at it I wonder what the old Ordinatus minnies go for (I have all 3).

I guess the fact of the matter is I love the models & the game but as there is no-one playing Titan Legion/Space Marine in my neck of the woods I am getting tempted to sell off my Epic armies & rulebooks if the price is right.

I also have a mint condition set of Warhammer Quest & its scenario supplements which might be looking for a new home.

Occulto
30-03-2009, 05:51
Thanks for that, the problem is that I dont want to commit to a sale until I know what the "going price" is on these pieces. I figure that since they are OOP they should have a reasonable resale value. While I'm at it I wonder what the old Ordinatus minnies go for (I have all 3).

I guess the fact of the matter is I love the models & the game but as there is no-one playing Titan Legion/Space Marine in my neck of the woods I am getting tempted to sell off my Epic armies & rulebooks if the price is right.

I also have a mint condition set of Warhammer Quest & its scenario supplements which might be looking for a new home.

PM sent. :D

Phunkmanyeman
30-03-2009, 06:21
PM sent. :D

As is my response;)

A1TEC
30-03-2009, 07:33
Do not make the price too high or you will not sell them

Cool_Mint
30-03-2009, 08:12
The old style Reaver Titans sell for between 15-25 each, plastic Warlord Titans (the ones that came in the original boxed sets) sell for 7-15 each. Add-ons are popular; I saw a set of seven or eight chaos bits for a Warlord Titan (original version) sell for well over a 100.

To get a good price sell your items when (start time/end time) the buyers are most likely to be browsing; mornings are usually not a good time but evenings are when people have come home from work and have time to shop.

Brucopeloso
30-03-2009, 09:55

Any ideas?

Hi, I sold an Imperator last year for around 40. I auctioned it at 4.99 and it went like a rocket from day one.

Titans generally sell pretty well.

If you have multiple titans sell them one by one with reasonable intervals in between.

Good luck.

Forlorn
30-03-2009, 17:50
For any OOP items it is hit or miss IMO. Ebay is a fickle creature to say the least and I personally wouldn't worry about what the value of the models would be. The market will set the value. Some items sold will take less and some more giving you an average across the board you'll find to be fair.

I've found that opening up my auctions to worldwide bidders is the key to success with auctions. I just wouldn't over value old OOP models if I were you. ;)