PDA

View Full Version : 1000 pnt NG army vs. Dwarfs- Help!

rmb43
28-03-2009, 19:51
Greetings! I am new to WHFB, and this is my first posted army list. After lurking on this forum for a month, I realize that what I am about to propose is not a competative list. So, disregarding that right off, I'd appreciate some help in assembling a 1000 pnt NG-only army that is as squig-heavy as possible. Love me some squigs! This is for a friendly game, no special characters, and I know I'll be facing dwarfs (probably with minimal shooters). Which means I can ditch shamans for big bosses on giant squigs! Here's what I put together....

NG Big Boss on Giant squig- General
Sneaky Skewerer, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of protection
122 pnts

NG Big Boss on Giant squig
122 pnts

122 pnts

NG x40
Musician, SB, hand weapons, shields, nets
167 pnts

NG x40
167 pnts

Squig Hoppers x10
150 pnts

Squig Hoppers x10
150 pnts

1000 pnts on the nose. Again, the goal here was to get as many squigs as possible into the list. I prefer hoppers to herders for using as screens for the giant squigs. Thoughts?

Makarion
28-03-2009, 20:50
With the exception of Dispel Scrolls and Powerstones, you can have only one each of magic items. So, only one Skewerer, Talisman and Enchanted Shield in your whole army, I'm afraid.

rmb43
28-03-2009, 21:35
LOL. Well, show's I'm a noob, indeed. A rather large, dumb mistake. Here's an alternative list with unduplicated magic items.:)

NG Big Boss on Giant squig- General
122 pnts

Wallopa's one hit wonda, brimstone bauble
124 pnts

biting blade, warboss imbad's iron gnashas
119 pnts

NG x40
167 pnts

NG x40
167 pnts

Squig Hoppers x10
150 pnts

Squig Hoppers x10
150 pnts

999 pnts total

rtunian
28-03-2009, 21:54
imo, your general shouldn't have uncontrollable movement. i would put him on foot in one of the ng40 blocks. also, i believe you are gimping yourself by having so many squig hoppers. instead, i would take 2 groups of 6, and then 4 teams of squig herders. this frees up points for fanatics, whose firepower is imo, very needed in an ng only army. you could do...

ng40, banner, musician, nets, 2 fanatic - 217
ng40, banner, musician, nets, 2 fanatic - 217

6 hoppers - 90
6 hoppers - 90
4 teams of squig herders - 120 (1 unit of 12 squigs and 8 night goblins)

this way you have a bit more variety, and actually nets you 3 more squigs! :)

this leaves 266 points for heros, and you can easily get 2 ng big bosses on great squigs, and 1 big boss on foot, and have some gear to boot. (90 points for 3 big bosses, 100 points for 2 great cave squigs, leaves 76 points for magic items, battle standard, etc)

Chaos Undecided
28-03-2009, 22:00
I think either having your bigboss general stay on foot with the bulk of your army or swapping one of the other bigbosses for an army standard bearer possibly with the red raggedy banner would be an immense help in trying to (I emphasis trying to these are night goblins after all) prevent the bulk of your army running for the hills at the first opportunity.

At the point level I'd also be tempted to go for 3 slightly smaller infantry units (25-30) instead of the two large ones.

Gimp
28-03-2009, 22:18
I think either having your bigboss general stay on foot with the bulk of your army or swapping one of the other bigbosses for an army standard bearer possibly with the red raggedy banner would be an immense help in trying to (I emphasis trying to these are night goblins after all) prevent the bulk of your army running for the hills at the first opportunity.

At the point level I'd also be tempted to go for 3 slightly smaller infantry units (25-30) instead of the two large ones.

Agreed.

You need 3 units of 30 with 2 fanatics. Fanatics are great against dwarfs. With slow movement and no fast units they find it hard to draw them out. The high strength also makes it easy for them to kill the stunties.

20 hoppers is OB. Rather 2 units of 6 it works just as well.

Make your general on foot as well. Its a must have.

rmb43
29-03-2009, 01:17
Thanks very much for all the suggestions! Based on your advice, I've revamped my squad a bit. Dropped the great squig from the general, made 3 smaller NG units, and added some fanatics.

NG Big Boss- General
Light armor, Martog's best basha, Enchanted Shield, Collar of Zorga
67 pnts

Light armor, Shield, Sneaky skewerer
94 pnts

Light armor, Shield, Wollopa's one hit wunda
99 pnts

NG x29 (General's unit)
Musician, SB, hand weapons, shields, nets, 2 Fanatics
184 pnts

NG x30
Musician, SB, hand weapons, shields, nets, 2 fanatics
187 pnts

NG x30
Musician, SB, hand weapons, shields, nets, 2 fanatics
187 pnts

Squig Hoppers x6
90 pnts

Squig Hoppers x6
90 pnts

998 pnts total

AFoolProofPlan
29-03-2009, 10:40
Just a thought here...
If your friend isn't taking alot of shooting, then why not max out on shamans, and force him to come to you?
With M3 and Fanatics running around, it'd be hard for your friend to get into CC.

nasty_little_hobbit
29-03-2009, 11:12
The only problem with that is you would need atleast 2 Shamans to have an effective magic phase which limits your other character choices. I personally would replace one of the squig bosses for a battle standard bearer which would benefit the army alot more.
Im thinking having atleast 1 fast calvary unit would be a very good idea, especially against the slow Dwarfs. Everytime I play against O&G with mine the spider riders are always the most annoying unit.

AFoolProofPlan
29-03-2009, 21:39
I'd go for 3 shamans actually. But that's just me.
I think he's limiting himself to just using night gobbos.

rmb43
29-03-2009, 22:35
Right- I'm going for just NG, with as many squig-tupe units as possible. Again, thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

Gobboman10
08-04-2009, 18:59
I would take a shaman in that unit dude.