PDA

View Full Version : D'oh! My poor Mortifactors Terminators!

NakedFisherman
14-12-2005, 04:52
Last time I listen to a friend when it comes to painting.

So I'm building up a Mortifactor army, and I want to make sure I get everything right. I was just painting up tactical squads and a Mortifactors with heavy weapons. I have most of the models already, so after I got all my currently primed things done my friend tells me to paint my Terminators.

I don't like taking a break from 'rank and file' troopers. It's just how I tend to do things -- finish one before moving onto another. I don't even like eating my meat before my potatoes are done at dinner.

My friend insists that I paint my Terminators next. Unfortunately, I have no idea what Mortifactors Terminators are supposed to look like. I just kinda guesstimate and figure there's nothing written or displayed about what they should look like.

My copy of Warriors of Ultramar had a few setbacks because I had to order it. I finally get the book yesterday, and I'm reading through it today and see some of the Mortifactors detailed pretty well by Graham McNeil. My guesstimated appearance of Mortifactors Terminators was a bit off. Apparently they wear all black armor with just a bit of bone trim. They don't have traditional helmets, but rather helmets carved to look like screaming skulls. So my painted Terminators (luckily I only did 2 and a half) need to be redone.

And this is the best part: Forge World makes skulls that I think would work great for my Terminators' helmets. I just ordered $550 in Forge World stuff two weeks ago. I got the wrong Dreadnought and didn't get the 2005 Annual, so I reordered more stuff last week. And now I need freaking skulls from Forge World too.

Potatoes first from now on.

NakedFisherman
14-12-2005, 05:12
Well, at least the Forge World skulls will be a bit big.

Of course, the Terminators in Warriors of Ultramar may just be in ceremonial armor, although I don't think a chapter would use Terminator Armour as a ceremonial piece. They stand guard outside the Chapter Master's residence, so they may just look different for the sake of being different.

Or, they may be Chaplains.

Hrm.

Decisions...

violenceha
14-12-2005, 05:23
heh, yeah i do that every time i order, luckily i order quite often. are you giving the termies scythes like in warriors of ultramar?

Stu
14-12-2005, 12:25
Well you learned the lesson:P
Post pics when you finish painting them and good luck with the conversion work.

NakedFisherman
14-12-2005, 12:34
heh, yeah i do that every time i order, luckily i order quite often. are you giving the termies scythes like in warriors of ultramar?

I'm quite sure (as cool as the scythes are) they're just ceremonial weapons. :p

The passing bit about 'dark-armoured warriors' doesn't seem to be trying to describe them in any great detail -- later in the book, Graham McNeil refers to the Mortifactors as being in black armor.

I would like to get some skull heads for my Terminators, although I don't really know of any good ones that will fit.

Exterminatus
14-12-2005, 12:43
Just paint the mortificators up anyway you like. My Dark Angels have grey / bluiesh boltguns, I dont care cause it looks good. wOOt lolz suxxors

ArtificerArmour
14-12-2005, 14:11
i concur with exterminatus - your mini's, your rules.

plus changing the colour scheme compromises the unity of your army.

NakedFisherman
14-12-2005, 15:10
i concur with exterminatus - your mini's, your rules.

plus changing the colour scheme compromises the unity of your army.

Yeah, and my minis look like they should and follow the rules that fit best with the army's background.

Hideous Loon
14-12-2005, 15:42
Do you own any Skeletons, or are aquainted to an Undead player? If so, wouldn't the screaming skulls in that set be wonderful as a base for the heads of your Terminators?

NakedFisherman
14-12-2005, 17:47
They're a bit small. I'll have to browse undead sprues and models a bit to see if what I need is on one of them.

I'm thinking about this skull -- looks very armor-like and is clean, plus seems to be about the right size (assuming the GW Online Store doesn't scale things, which I don't think they do).

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947139901814&orignav=9

I think it'd be almost perfect. Anyone see this bit in real life...?

Also, something odd: what color is the skin of people from Posul? Graham McNeil has them as ebony or coal-skinned with hair that's often braided (well, as least Astador and Lord Magyar look this way). But Battle Brother Artemis from Inquisitor is a Mortifactor and is Caucasian. I'm assuming the fact that he's a Mortifactor was an after-the-fact thing, or for some reason there's just a white guy down there on Posul. Or, of course, there's always the possibility that both Caucasian-esque people and dark-skinned people both live on Posul.

From reading the Mortifactors background I got the idea that they'd be primary dealing with close combat. Some people have taken the 'warrior tribes' of Posul idea into having the Mortifactors be almost all close combat. It seems they just fight on the edge with (sometimes blind) courage, with their main attribute being their quite odd reverance of the dead.

HiveFleetEzekial
14-12-2005, 18:27
well considering the morti's.. took inspiration (*cough*ripped off*cough*) a 2nd founding chapter's colors..(maybe fluff was.. some guys split off from the original chapter.. ?_? ) why not just continue with it?

White Panthers were mainly black, with the grieves and gauntles & upper arm pieces, helmet, and torso white. morti's did bone in ever place where white was. same thing went for the termis. never saw any good vehicle paint schemes for eithre though. (my own bit for them.. did the specials in chapter colors, with the office color on a shoulder pad, or the cloth in case of libi's)

NakedFisherman
14-12-2005, 19:53
well considering the morti's.. took inspiration (*cough*ripped off*cough*) a 2nd founding chapter's colors..(maybe fluff was.. some guys split off from the original chapter.. ?_? ) why not just continue with it?

White Panthers were mainly black, with the grieves and gauntles & upper arm pieces, helmet, and torso white. morti's did bone in ever place where white was. same thing went for the termis. never saw any good vehicle paint schemes for eithre though. (my own bit for them.. did the specials in chapter colors, with the office color on a shoulder pad, or the cloth in case of libi's)

Mortifactors ARE second founding.

Kahadras
14-12-2005, 19:58
They are a decendant of the Ultramarines arn't they. I am sure I remember something about them in a 40K novel when it talks about who they are founded from. Problem is that I cannot remember exactly.

Kahadras

Hlokk
14-12-2005, 20:24
I dont know if this will help, but I just converted a space marine chaplian in termi armour and found the human skull on the skaven banner sprue works really well with termi armour.

TWB
14-12-2005, 20:27
The melanochrome gland (I think it's called that) Enables a marine to alter his skin tone according to levels af radiation, so although the Mortifactors might be Black normally they may well be able to lighten their skin (Alternatively the mortifactors' Melanochrome might malfunction causing them to go black skinned, Artemis might be one of the few exceptions).

With regards to the skull helms, you could mount a plasic skull on top of a terminator helmet, trimming off the back of the skull and front of the helmet until a good fit is established, use the older style Chaplain Terminator for guidance (I'd put a link in but the picture is too small to help).

NakedFisherman
14-12-2005, 22:09
They are a decendant of the Ultramarines arn't they. I am sure I remember something about them in a 40K novel when it talks about who they are founded from. Problem is that I cannot remember exactly.

Kahadras

They are from the Ultramarines. They're a second founding. It's first stated in the 'Ultramarines in Battlefleet Gothic' article in USWD288 (January 2004). Graham McNeil reiterated the information in Warriors of Ultramar.

I think I have all published literature on the Mortifactors. I should catalogue it all (there isn't a whole lot).

I even got a UK White Dwarf off eBay so that I could get the tiny article where Mortifactors scouts discover a world ravaged by the Night Lords. Yep, got it for only one sentence. :)

I have tons of the Skaven/Goblin/Undead command sprues in a big plastic bag somewhere. I know just the bit you're talking about -- gonna try it out. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: The skulls seems to fit perfectly. Thanks for the tip!

Rhamag
15-12-2005, 02:06
If something a bit more avant-guard is required, how about the heads from the TK Bone Giant? The skull is not a classic human skull, but wouldn;t that add to the mystique?

Lamenter
15-12-2005, 02:31
for the skull helm try this...

http://photobucket.com/albums/y291/lamenter76/?action=view&current=sprue.jpg

from the chaos marauder sprue, see here

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120201003

it's a skull shoulder pad and is the perfect size and shape (if you trim the rim) for a terminator helm. Maybe if you are aquainted with any warhammer chaos players they may have some spare.

I had quite a few this time last year, but never found a use for them. Now I wish I had one for my terminator chaplain :skull:.

NakedFisherman
15-12-2005, 02:40
Cool. I can get a few of those from a friend I'm sure.

I'll have to see what works better.

Thanks for the help, guys!

violenceha
15-12-2005, 05:25
plus there's a few of the lost and the damned space marine mins with bones and skulls on their armour. maybe you could squeeze that eldar dark reaper pheonix lord body in their somewhere, give it some different arms and a back pack

NakedFisherman
15-12-2005, 05:54
plus there's a few of the lost and the damned space marine mins with bones and skulls on their armour. maybe you could squeeze that eldar dark reaper pheonix lord body in their somewhere, give it some different arms and a back pack

Way ahead of you. I ordered two Legion of the Damned backpacks. I was gonna convert skulls on the exhausts of a backpack when I see there's already one done up like that.

violenceha
15-12-2005, 06:15
what are you doing for your HQ? i've wanted to have a go at converting their chapter master, something about the idea of the mane of dreadlocks, would look really cool

NakedFisherman
15-12-2005, 06:19
Yup, dreads. Well, whatever those tiny braids are called.

I plan on freehanding skulls all over his armor, though the trouble I'll have is not making them stand out too much. I want a blurred look, which I think will force me to use some dark greys on the black areas and my standard colour scheme on the off-white "bone" areas.

Oh, and plenty of skulls. A Mortifactor with years of campaign experience is bound to have a few trophies.

violenceha
15-12-2005, 06:32
not sure why, put i always associate the mortifactors with the predators. the skulls and the dreads i guess, but tha's knida how i would picture them

NakedFisherman
15-12-2005, 06:56
not sure why, put i always associate the mortifactors with the predators. the skulls and the dreads i guess, but tha's knida how i would picture them

Yeah, the imagery is very similar. Obviously the Mortifactors aren't aliens or anything, but I had the same kind of imagery as I read Warriors of Ultramar.

By the way, Graham McNeil is a heck of a writer. He kept the pace throughout the book with good action that didn't dwell on how many different ways to slash at a gargoyle. The encounters were fierce and it seemed like everything in the book had its purpose. Seeing all the characters come together really showed the scale of the battle. I also liked the blend of imageries used -- the proud blue Ultramarines and the feral Mortifactors fighting back to back. The doomed Death Korps of Krieg rubbing off a bit on the Logres and PDF forces (as seen in Rabelaq's character).

I also liked Sebastien Montante a lot. At first I feared he was going to be the cookie-cutter inept governor seen many times before, but it turns out he was a complex character despite his very small role in the story.

HiveFleetEzekial
16-12-2005, 02:16
first i heard of morti's bein 2nd founding. and never heard of them till armageddon campaigne. WP, i've known of since way back in 2nd (winner of the first "create your own army" they ever had, WD#197 from.. mid 90's)

NakedFisherman
16-12-2005, 04:56
first i heard of morti's bein 2nd founding. and never heard of them till armageddon campaigne. WP, i've known of since way back in 2nd (winner of the first "create your own army" they ever had, WD#197 from.. mid 90's)

Well, they are second founding. I believe the information may be in USWD288, and failing that it's certainly in Warriors of Ultramar. A large point is made about it, even (the contrast between the Mortifactors and the Ultramarines after the Ultramarines Legion split up). Goes into some detail about Sasebo Tezuka starting the chapter and his position in the Ultramarines Legion and such.

HiveFleetEzekial
16-12-2005, 08:50
oh. anything, anywhere, say how their colors were chosen? (fluff-wise and real/whoever created them originaly)

NakedFisherman
16-12-2005, 15:37
oh. anything, anywhere, say how their colors were chosen? (fluff-wise and real/whoever created them originaly)

Not that I know of, but they wear dark armour with off-white trim to represent bone. Many wear skulls and bones on their armour.

I'm assuming Sasebo Tezuka was from Posul. All Mortifactors are from there, so naturally their culture is carried with them in the chapter.

Exterminatus
16-12-2005, 16:04
I say use many skulls, paint bones on their armour. The old models of the Fire Hawks, aka legion of the damned, might be usefull for shoulder pads and the likes.

HiveFleetEzekial
17-12-2005, 10:25
Not that I know of, but they wear dark armour with off-white trim to represent bone. Many wear skulls and bones on their armour.

i already know what they look like.. an exact copy of the layout in Wite Panthers' paint scheme. just swap in bone for the white. and a skull instead of a panther head. finding out whoever created them's reason for the choice, is what i'm wanting to know.