PDA

View Full Version : wth is up with the crotchcapes on old metal minis?

iamfanboy
29-03-2009, 02:20
So, here I am, looking at my old Blood Dragon Vampire on foot mini, and for the first time I actually thought about the stupid little piece of cloth or whatever that's hanging down between his legs. Then I remembered that his track record in combat was less than exemplary and decided to retire him in favor of an old, old Elf champion with a two-handed sword - painted properly vampire-like, he'd do a lot better in combat, and I like his pose a lot more.

However, he also has one of those stupid ground-dragging crotch capes, one that looks a lot uglier and thicker - it's thicker than his LEGS for crying out loud! I'll have to cut it off and either replace it with a GS one or just ignore it.

But it got me to thinking. I mean, what is the purpose of a long, ground-dragging crotch cape? It's just silliness. Were they that afraid to sculpt groins or something? Or what?

It befuddles my mind. Does anyone here have an answer?

Neknoh
29-03-2009, 02:31
Slimmed armour legs.

In a kinda squatted position.

Now I WONDER why they'd want something to cover up the large gap and really wierd pose that leaves the mini with.

Things just look better without a huge hole in between two skinny legs in an odd angle, just go to the nearest Aikido or Iaido dojo and you'll see, wait for the weapons, look at the beginners without a hakama taking deep positions etc, then look at the advanced people, with hakama, taking deep positions. Hakama looks better.

Loincloth > gap

Ward.
29-03-2009, 04:55
Capes are fabulous, so are elves and vampires.

I've noticed they look better with them though, although some models (like my WIP banshee necromunda gang) look fine without it.

Lewzardman
29-03-2009, 16:20
Even crotches deserve to look fashionable.

kramplarv
30-03-2009, 00:42
fashion never goes out of fashion!!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
30-03-2009, 17:05
hellebron never went out of fashion! oh wait...

sigur
30-03-2009, 17:59
@iamfanboy: Alright, so you think "they are stupid". You made your point. Others think they are not stupid in general. Nice discussion, now proceed everyone.