PDA

View Full Version : new to fantasy, few questions on rules

Eulogy2
29-03-2009, 06:37
we played our second game tonight, my lizards vs my buddies Ogres. a few things came up that we weren't clear on and im hoping someone could tell us right our wrong.

first major question was this: my spear saurus(3x6 rank) were battling gnoblars head on, and i won combat but the turds rolled double 1's so they stuck it out. his turn next, he flank charged me with a unit of 3 ironguts. iron guts went first and killed only 3 saurus, which i assumed left me with none to attack back on them with. the gnoblars went next and did nothing, and then my remaining saurus attacked back. 10 saurus (5 wide now in 3 ranks cause the iron guts cleaned out three from the flank) killed the remaining 10 gnoblars. our understanding here is that i caused 10 wounds, he caused 3, i have a standard, he flank charged so my ranks dont count. in the end his iron guts lost combat by 6 do to the wiping out of the gnoblars and in turn they failed thier panic test and fled. he rolled two 1's and i easily caught him and destroyed him.

was this correct? do his iron guts loose combat because of being in a joint fight with such a weak ally? and also if i wipe out a unit completely, and the flanking unit flees, i assume i can then pursue that fleeing unit even though they were on my flank?

sorry for being long winded, but i hope i typed everything clearly so you can picture it.

secondly, my saurus unit is in CC with a hunter, and they passed thier fear test. they stay in combat and next turn his maneaters also charge them in the front, so do they have to take another fear test? we assumed so.

also if the general dies do surrounding units take a leadership test? we both could have swore we read that in the book somewhere that theres panic rules for a dying general but we cant find it now.

Necromancy Black
29-03-2009, 07:05
You do not panic becuase your general died.

You played the comabt right. All untis partake int eh same comabt so by destorying all the gnoblers you cause the Ogres to run.

Maetco
29-03-2009, 07:09
What he said + units in cc never take psychology tests (pg 48).

MasterSparks
29-03-2009, 07:10
Hiya,

1) You resolved that correctly, every unit that is involved in the same combat (in other words, linked together with their bases) suffer the same combat result, regardless of who killed who.

2) I don't have the rulebook handy right now but I believe that once you are in close combat you become immune to the effects of psychology. From the outside that is, you will still suffer potential disadvantages for fighting someone who causes fear and terror, such as autobreaking.

3) No, the death of the general does not cause any form of panic among your own troops, unless he is the special character King Louen of Bretonnia. One of his special rules is that his troops have to take a panic test if he dies (if I remember correctly..) and after that they all become stubborn!

Edit: This board is quick, I was ninja'ed again!

Eulogy2
29-03-2009, 07:15
so assuming the gnoblars hadnt been wiped out and just ran away, and the ironguts ran away, do i get to choose who i run after?

thanks for the replies.

Necromancy Black
29-03-2009, 07:21
so assuming the gnoblars hadnt been wiped out and just ran away, and the ironguts ran away, do i get to choose who i run after?

thanks for the replies.

Yep. If all enemy units that one of your units are in base to base contact with run you get to choose who to chase.

Once decided you both roll to see how far you go and destory the fleer if you roll greater or equal to them.

Grimgormx
31-03-2009, 01:40
When 2 units run, you pursue both, you just roll 2 dice and if your result is higer than that of the fleing units you kill them.

The general dying and the panick test for being charged when in combat were rules from 5th or 6th edition, but they no longer aply

Spirit
31-03-2009, 02:02
When 2 units run, you pursue both, you just roll 2 dice and if your result is higer than that of the fleing units you kill them.

...snip...

No, you do not.

You pick one direction to chase, as they both run in opposite directions and your unit can not split into 2!

If both units had engaged the saurus in the front, and the saurus had made them both flee, you may run them down as you describe, as you "pursue to the front" and kill all units you roll higher than to the front.

Veloxnex
31-03-2009, 02:28
5 wide now in 3 ranks

models are removed from the rear rank, not from the file that got hit ( file is the opposite to rank, the guys going up and down not across) so those Saurus would have been 2 ranks full of 6 guys and then 2 guys on the rear rank.

Nurgling Chieftain
31-03-2009, 03:21
models are removed from the rear rank, not from the file that got hit ( file is the opposite to rank, the guys going up and down not across) so those Saurus would have been 2 ranks full of 6 guys and then 2 guys on the rear rank.Strictly speaking that's correct, but for the purposes of who can attack, I think the OP did it correctly - 3 saurus on the flank cannot attack due to casualties from the Ironguts' charge, leaving 10 to attack to the front with their spears.

IrishDelinquent
31-03-2009, 06:24
Hey, here are the answers you're looking for.

(Snip)
was this correct? do his iron guts loose combat because of being in a joint fight with such a weak ally? and also if i wipe out a unit completely, and the flanking unit flees, i assume i can then pursue that fleeing unit even though they were on my flank?

You were correct in this instance. The combat resolution for a combat is tallied based on all units involved. So the combat resolution for your fight would've been 12 for the saurus (10 kills, standard, outnumber) vs 4-5 (3 kills, flank, and +1 if the unit had a standard (so technically you won by 7-8)). If a single unit breaks multiple units and causes them to flee, you can choose which one to pursue. Since you wiped out the Gnoblars, you only have two choices; try and restrain from pursuing, or pursue the Ironguts.

secondly, my saurus unit is in CC with a hunter, and they passed thier fear test. they stay in combat and next turn his maneaters also charge them in the front, so do they have to take another fear test? we assumed so.

Yes, your saurus would need to take an additional fear test when the maneaters charged. Every time you attempt to charge a fear-causing unit, or attempt to hold or stand-and-shoot a fear-causing unit as a charge reaction, you have to take a fear test. The only time you won't need to take the same test multiple times is when dealing with Terror causing models...but that's another matter altogether.

also if the general dies do surrounding units take a leadership test? we both could have swore we read that in the book somewhere that theres panic rules for a dying general but we cant find it now.

The only armies that has to take a leadership test when the General dies are undead armies. For Tomb Kings, they test when the army's Hierophant dies. For Vampire Counts, each unit takes a leadership test at the start of every turn after the General dies. The only reason units would take a panic test for your general dying is if:

a). The General has a unit strength of 5 or more
b). The General was killed off in a single phase (i.e. shot down or magic'd to death).

Master Stark
31-03-2009, 06:33
Yes, your saurus would need to take an additional fear test when the maneaters charged. Every time you attempt to charge a fear-causing unit, or attempt to hold or stand-and-shoot a fear-causing unit as a charge reaction, you have to take a fear test. The only time you won't need to take the same test multiple times is when dealing with Terror causing models...but that's another matter altogether.

Without having my rulebook in front of me, I was under the impression that units in combat didn't take psychology tests.

Nurgling Chieftain
31-03-2009, 07:31
Having my book in front of me, I can confirm that units in HtH do not take psychology tests, and further note that that rule is on page 48, right column, first full paragraph.

havoc626
31-03-2009, 09:18
I think the OP was implying the Ogres took a Break Test and failed.

As for the way you played it out, yes, that was right in all ways, with the exeption of some terminology.

Second question, you played out right as well.

Third question, the general used to cause panic checks when he died (I think), but not anymore.

Arnizipal
31-03-2009, 11:54
The only reason units would take a panic test for your general dying is if:

a). The General has a unit strength of 5 or more
b). The General was killed off in a single phase (i.e. shot down or magic'd to death).
a is correct, but b is false.

For example if you general is in a block of troops and is blown to bits by a lucky cannon shot, no panic test is required (unless the cannon shot also wiped out 25% of the unit, triggering a normal panic test).

Likewise your general being Killing Blowed won't cause a panic test either.

Spirit
31-03-2009, 13:09
God it's amazing how many people can be so wrong about the rules and not even check... Talk about confusing for the OP.

In short.

You pursued correctly, can only pursue in one direction and cannot pursue if one of the opponents you are fighting does not flee.

When in combat a unit does not need to take any more fear/terror/panic checks from outside sources (such as a unit being destroyed, dragon landing on your back door, being charges by a fear causer while already engaged)

There is no rule that means the death of ageneral causes a panic check, unless they fulfill the criteria to cause a normal panic check (i.e US5 and within 6" of a unit)

Eulogy2
31-03-2009, 14:13
thanks for the replies, though as pointed out by spirit it was a bit of a cluster:).

i know the kills come off the rear ranks, but as someone pointed out, i was referring to the models on the flank that the ogres killed that left me with none able to attack back on them.