PDA

View Full Version : Hello out there.....Korea?

NorthernMike
14-12-2005, 05:56
Hello, I am not sure if this is the right Forum to post this in, but I was wondering if anyone knows if GW models are available in Seoul Korea? Or are there any gamers out there...or here I mean.

I could not find any retailers that sell GW and I don't know how to look them up anymore. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

CassiusDraconis
14-12-2005, 06:03
Have you tried e-mailing GW customer service? I would suggest hitting up the UK address as it's where the company originates.

Hope it helps

IG88
14-12-2005, 15:30
I live in Seoul and haven't found anything anywhere so far, though I hear the RC meccas are around Yangjae Station and Dongdaemun. I was going to go check them out to see what was there and perhaps, at the very least, score some magnets, but work's crazy right now and my Korean skills leave much to be desired. I'll keep you posted if you keep me posted.

Figured out anyplace to play a game around here yet? I have a hard enough time buying paper towels and peanut butter, much less finding someplace with miniature gaming tables.

NorthernMike
15-12-2005, 02:03
IG88, I hear ya loud and clear. haha. Are you over hear teaching? I think foreigner over here is either teaching, working for a corporation (like samsung or LG), or in the army.

I actually didn't pack my army as my wife brought the kitchen sink. The game cafe's are pretty cool, and have a lot of other good games, but no 40k or any GW/ miniature games that I know of.

What is the RC mecca that you are talking about?

I will try to let you know if I do hear of anything.

PKemisti
15-12-2005, 06:02
Seems like there's more 40k players in here Seoul than I expected :D.
Of course, I expected total of 0 players D:

Well, didn't take my army with me as I packed my sacks full of stuff I never use, like pots, pans, books and clean underwear.

Personally I'm in here as an exchange student.

Btw, so you have seen Starcraft on the tv already but have you seen the Badger flash?

IG88
15-12-2005, 17:56
Even though I had the forethought to pack an army when I moved over here, I guess the joke's on me because there's no place to play. When I get unbusy at the start of next month (teaching high schoolers is rough work right around college admissions time), I'm going to go exploring; that is to say, I'll explore places that aren't the bars in Gangnam.

What I've discovered is that for anything you want to buy, Seoul has a district that specializes in it. Turns out that Yongsan (where the electronics market is) is also the lamp and lighting mecca. I also braved the furniture bazaar (though I forget where it is now) when I moved into a new apartment. It's a madhouse.

That being the case, I'd assume that if I were to find one hobby store, there'll be numerous others nearby. I'll start my search in Dongdaemun by the RC shops, which will hopefully lead me to the model train part of town, which might just give me a hot tip on where to get GW stuff, if it even exists. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

damz451
15-12-2005, 20:15
well there gw stores in japan, isnt that like an hours boat ride?

NorthernMike
16-12-2005, 00:27
Japan you say....just a boat ride away.....brb.

Actually, the fastest boat to japan is the 'beetle' fast foil, and it still takes almost 3 hours, and is almost 200 dollars. That that boat leaves from Pussan, almost on the opposite side of the country. I have found some model stores in malls, but they often just have WW2 models and the rest is manga/maccross stuff.

colkillgore
16-12-2005, 04:31
I was in Korea in 91' to 92' and there was a shop in Tonduchon or TDC outside of Camp Casey. They had some used roleplaying games and a few Gw boxes. I guess that was 14 years ago and I am starting to feel old. If you are military you can try and hop a Space Availiable MAC flight to japan. A friend of mine would hop one everytime he could get a pass to go.

I guess any advice I could give you is waaayyy out of date.

Sorry about that
SJ

TitusAndronicus
16-12-2005, 04:34
I was there in 94'5 and you could buy a pretty good selection of stuff by that time. No idea if it is still there ten years later, but I bet you could find it. Go to the GW site and there would be an email addy you can use to contact GW helpdesk.

notdakuningist
16-12-2005, 04:50
Try around the u.s. military community, couple of guys I talk to on the army online community play and are in similar situations.