PDA

View Full Version : 2250 WOC tounament worthy?

The_Wisest_Wizard
29-03-2009, 16:47
I used to play warhammer back in 2nd and 3rd edition and I just got back in with the new warriors of chaos book. I want to know if this list is competitive enough? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Lord:

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch: Lvl 4, MoT, DoT, Rending Sword, Enchanted Shield, Blood of Tzeentch, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Bloodcurdling Roar

430 pts

Heroes:

Sorcerer of Tzeentch: Lvl 2, MoT, DoT, Skull of Katam

210 pts

Sorcerer of Nurgle: Lvl 2, MoN, Barded Chaos Steed, Dispel Scroll, Power Familiar

206 pts

Sorcerer of Nurgle: Lvl 2, MoN, Barded Chaos Steed, Dispel Scroll, Book of Secrets

206 pts

Core:

(3x) 5 Marauder Horsemen: MoS, Musician, Flails

91 pts each (273 pts total)

(2x) 5 Chaos Hounds:

30 pts each (60 pts total)

Special:

(2x) 5 Chaos Knights: MoK

230 pts each (460 pts total)

5 Chaos Knights:

200 pts

Rare:

Hellcannon:

205 pts

14 Casting Dice
7 Dispel Dice
50 models

akgaroth
29-03-2009, 20:29
That's the standard "competitive" WoC list, magic heavy list and all mounted units ... so yes, it seems competitive. The magic item selection is good, though I find surprising that you didn't take the Infernal puppet (though I don't see the necessity for you to take it). I think however that musicians are always worth taking.

The_Wisest_Wizard
29-03-2009, 21:21
I"m thinking about replacing the flails on the horsemen for throwing axes. also I was thinking about replacing one of the units of knights with a unit of dragon ogres w/ GW's and maybe trying to find room for 6 strong knights instead of 5 but I'm not sure what to cut.... hounds???

backslide
29-03-2009, 22:45
well I hope its not the tourney that using comp scoring in that case you will be ripped to shreads

its got lots of magic, but given how tiny the army is your asking for trouble

The_Wisest_Wizard
30-03-2009, 00:37
What would you do to increase the comp score? I could cut some magic items, lower a magic lvl or two, maybe even drop one of the lvl 2's completely.

That would give me more points to spend on marauder horsemen (maybe hounds, but to be honest I think they are trash and only would use 2 to help screen the knights).

I want the army to be all cav. or as fast as cav. so I'm not going to have a very large model count no matter what I do.

Anyway thanks for the input. I'm going to try and revamp this list so that it can keep it's competitive edge but maybe score a little better on comp.

fishound7
30-03-2009, 00:49
Hey this is dwayne nice to see you here. The Wisest wizard You Devil

The_Wisest_Wizard
30-03-2009, 01:40
What do you think about this?

Lords:

Sorcerer Lord: Lvl 4, MoT, DoT, Rending Sword, E Shield, Golden Eye, Roar
400 pts

Heroes:

Sorcerer: Lvl 2, MoT, DoT, Skull of Katam
210 pts

Sorcerer: Lvl 2, MoN, Barded Chaos Steed, Dispel Scroll, Book of Secrets
206 pts

Core:

(2x) 5 Marauder Horsemen: MoS, Musician, Throwing Axes
91 pts each (182 pts total)

(2x) 5 Marauder Horsemen: MoK, Flails
105 pts each (210 pts total)

5 Marauder Horsemen: MoS, Musician, Throwing Spears
86 pts

(3x) 5 Chaos Warhounds:
30 pts each (90 pts total)

Special:

5 Chaos Knights: MoK
230 pts

5 Chaos Knights:
200 pts

3 Dragon Ogres: GW's
231 pts

Rare:

Hellcannon:
205 pts

11 Power Dice
6 Dispel Dice
62 Models

Still a little character heavy at around 45% including magic items... but I'm not sure you can go less with WOC and still be competitive.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Tolinwiz
30-03-2009, 03:52
I run that list, and admittedly I'm not very good at Warhammer yet, but it doesn't seem to perform well. Against magic defense heavy armies the list is very lacking IMO. Kite-ability of khorne knights is pretty high and lack of static combat res kills most CC with knights.

Kerill
30-03-2009, 04:22
Second list looks better, and would definitely get better comp although I'm not convinced by the skull of katam (and that level 2 will get shot down pretty easily) and am personally dubious of the hellcannon in a cavalry list.

The biggest issue is your lack of hammer units, as soon as those knight units take a couple of casualties you are left with little punch (dragon ogres do help).

I'd also recommend boosting one of the MOK horsemen to 7 (so they can actually break things) and dropping the second unit (saving 70 points) allowing you to boost your MOK knights by 1 model and buy MOK (or nurgle) for the second unit

Definitely recommend a spell familiar for your sorceror lord, there are too many dud spells in lore of Tzeentch not to take it.

The_Wisest_Wizard
30-03-2009, 14:42
Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking a lot about the skull too... or at least how squishy that sorcerer is. and I'm also not sure about the hellcannon keeping up but I feel like I going to need something to help with march blockers and really all the hounds are good for is screening.

I know I'm missing a real "hammer" unit. My goal was to soften up large units with the khorne marauders (good mini hammer) / sorcerers / hellcannon

In the games (smaller points) I have played, if I tell myself that everything but the knights/heroes is going to die. I do my best to soften up the larger blocks / keep any shooting tied up with my disposable stuff (pretty much all my core). The knights have been able to take care of the rest almost every time as long as they get the charge.

Ultimo ninja
30-03-2009, 19:52
You have hammers, but no anvils.....CR is going to hurt you badly especially with itp armies. Hopefully your magic and shooting will be enough to cut down ranks before combat ensues.

stonetroll
30-03-2009, 20:03
My suggestions:

the character choices from your first list are fine (although indeed, they will hurt your comp score. Maybe squeeze in that puppet of fate for the miscasts though.

Add musicians to your fast cav

hounds = fine, but I'd get a unit for each unit of knights

Knights: imo change to MoN for extra survivability (or MoT with 5+ ward v shooting banner). Also consider beefing them to 6 each, 4 Knights is not very scary and it's very easy to take down 1-2 of your knights off of 2 of your units before they hit someone's line.

Hellcannon: Rather useless if you plan on hitting your enemy on t2 and without support, it is not THAT hard to take down. Drop it to beef up knights imo.

On your second list: the 3 Dragon Ogres are a nice addition, but either make it 4 or drop them alltogether imo. Same as for the chaos knights, it's not very hard to drop one of them before they hit combat and 2 dragon ogres have only 6 attacks, that is not going to scare antyhing but a chariot.

just my 2 cents