PDA

View Full Version : old chaos army books

miguel77
29-03-2009, 17:59
hi, as a gamer of 20 years plus i am well aware of gw policy of releasing new rules / books every 4 or more years but was wondering if some of the older books are still playable ?

In particular I mean the hordes of chaos, was it broken or did gw just want to make more cash by splitting it into 2 books.

I would rather buy the old book from ebay as this new "united front " army in the deamons of chaos book seems to go against all the previous fluff and background info going back decades. To me the chaos army should still be 1 god lists not khorne suddenly being tzeentch's best mate !

any thoughts on this and the 2 new books would be gratefully recieved :)

Agoz
29-03-2009, 18:19
you'd better get the new books, because in my experience, the only way your going to be able to play the old book is if its with someone you know, and even then its iffy. You'll probably get some complaints in pick up games. That's my advice any way.

andyg2006
29-03-2009, 18:26
Personally, I'd not bother getting the old books now unless it's for something like background, imagery, tactics, painting guides, etc.
If you're doing a special battle, such as 2 people using a former version of the same army book, then no-one's going to be able to say no anyway, but if you're wanting them for the army lists (i.e. to play against armies made from the newer books in official tournaments, GW clubs or GW shop battles), then the old army lists are no longer valid, so you cannot use them and yes you'd probably get a bit of flak using old rules.

I guess everyone can always find some fault or other with any book, but I always thought that Hordes' ability to take bits from other lists was a bit cheeky.

I guess some people might say that "it always comes back down to the 's", but with Warriors and Daemons, it was all part of getting rid of allied formations and going to mono-lists; Chaos was just the last army which could really ally with anything.

As a player of about equal years to yourself (albeit on and off), I know what you're saying and I do think that sometimes GW 'miss the boat' in terms of losing a bit of the emphasis, character and the styles which we've grown up with as gamers.
However, I personally like to keep stuff like this as the background for my own armies...even though it's might not be specifically stated in the codex or the new army list, there's nothing to stop your own Khorne army General having enmity against all things Slaaneshi, or having units in multiples of 8 (as Khorne's 'magic number'), etc.

Also, you can still do mono- and themed-lists with either army -nothing's stopping you- and I think there's the same units in the new book as in the old ones, anyway(?), but they've also added quite a few tweaks to units and special characters, so you might be pleasantly surprised by the new books anyway.

If (for example) you've not played with the new army books, why not see if you can have a sample game in your local GW/FLGS to run through the rules and see if you can try out your current army using the new versions of the rules; they'll probably be able to help you with working out an army list for the stuff you've got at the moment and you might find it works out better than you thought.

miguel77
29-03-2009, 19:21
Thanks for the feedback will check out the new books

Cherrystone
29-03-2009, 21:11
Get the two books and come up with some house rules amongst your friends to allow deamons and warriors in the same list.

We play like this, though our house rules are quite restrictive in what deamons can be taken in a warrior army.

Dexter099
30-03-2009, 01:48
I liked Hordes of Chaos, but the warriors of chaos book is good, even though the demons' book was a botch job.

Lordsaradain
30-03-2009, 16:06
Hordes of Chaos works fine with the current rules system, you can play them without any problem.

rottahn
30-03-2009, 16:16
the hordes of chaos book isnt broken or overpowered at all, when comparing it to the new armybook.
i know that i wouldnt mind playing the old version of the army, and not the new one. however in the tournament scene, or pick up games this will not fly. also living in the past makes for a stagnant game. if you still want to play a chaos mortal army, then buy the book, learn their rules and just play to your liking. chaos warriors and knights are now all "chosen" for free compared to HoC anyways. :)

Feefait
30-03-2009, 17:43
I completely agree that the new camaraderie among the gods is questionable. it seems pretty much to be gw's concession of sales vs. story. but without that unity than not only would they pretty much only sell khorne and tzeentch again but there wouldnt be enough types of each unit to make a conceivable army, at least for demons. warriors would still work. i myself prefer the 1 book, and would rather see them united again, as well as Undead. but thats just me.

i would like to try to play with or against the old books myself and see hwo they would work, but everything from magic to magic items are so different now I don't know how it'd work.