PDA

View Full Version : How many Power Klaws should be in a 10 man squad of Nobz?

toymaker
29-03-2009, 22:08
I have a 10 man squad and was putting 4 in the squad. I think it's too high in retrospect. Any suggestion on the amount. 2?

MrBims
29-03-2009, 22:27
4 is a magic number; it makes the nob squad capable of completely wiping dedicated CC units like Assault Terminators, whether you get the charge or not, and gives you more dice to roll for vehicle damage rolls. You want the enemy unit running or destroyed as soon as possible, to limit the damage they can do to you.

Just remember to take a Waaagh banner to get the WS5.

Jimbobjeff
29-03-2009, 22:31
I'm not sure thats entirely true MrBims, ideally you want to wipe out the enemy in 2 rounds of assault so that they cant shoot the Nobz in their shooting phase, I'd go for 3 Klaws personally,

Perfect Organism
29-03-2009, 22:41
I like three klaws and three big choppas.

Nym
30-03-2009, 00:31
Three klaws for me too. If I ever needed more than that, I would take Meganobz instead.

TheDarkDuke
30-03-2009, 01:05
Im running mine with 2 PK and 3 BC a painboy and they all have eavy armor, riding around in a battle wagon I don't wanna add more PK cause this unit is already 355 points without the BW.

AfroCelt
30-03-2009, 03:13
man I'm a cheapo. 1 Klaw, 1 Big Choppa. Attach the warboss and you get two total...They don't wipe people off the face of the earth instantly, but why do that when all that awaits out of combat are nasty guns? Besides, I adore having 5 ws5 Str5 attacks per nob on the charge....you'll roll a one sooner or later, mr. termy.

Those powerklaws add up too...4 eats 100 POINTS by itself...are they really worth it?

Ianos
30-03-2009, 04:15
At both 1500 and 1750 i am currently running 3Pklaws, 2 uge-choopas and the unit numbers 8 bikers with the painboy. I do not think its easy to fit one more and keep all models different as well as it is a tad unnecessary, since they can down most tanks and infantry.

sigur
30-03-2009, 04:58
I tend to keep my Nobz mobs quite small and cheapish. Four for the bikernobz (maybe only three if the Warboss joins in) and seven (without Painboy) or eight (with painboy) in a Trukk. Each with one PK in there and two 'uge choppas.

Thing about Nobzmobs is that they get expensive really quick. Apart from that, they don't necessarily have to be able to wipe everything off the face of earth. I tend to try to set up combined charges of Sluggas and Nobz or other killy things.

If I went for a Nobz mob of 10, they'd easily be over 300pts without a painboy or more than one to two PKs. In a 1500pts game too much for me, in a 1000pts game too much for anyone sensible. I see the merits of such a squad (Ld mainly really but they'd kill most things anyway unless they're having a bad day) but as I said; just waaaaay too expensive.

Born Again
30-03-2009, 06:29
Honestly, I think ten nobz is quite scary enough in itself! IMO 4 is overkill, I'd stick to 2 or maybe 3, and throw in some big choppas too, which I think are quite overlooked. 5pts for +2 strength is not to be sneezed at.

pootleberry
30-03-2009, 06:48
I'd probably go for two. Nobz armed with the basics have five attacks on the charge all at strength five which is nasty anyways. Even if you charged Terminators they'll fail some of those 2+ saves.

mughi3
30-03-2009, 07:06
Having just been slaughtered by the 3-4 claw nob units.............go 4 and take a doc so they can get FNP. it's a hard hitting unit thats hard to stop or kill and will eat just anout anything it runs into.

Moriarty
30-03-2009, 07:48
Never mind Terminators - it's the 2+ save, four wound Tau commanders you have to worry about.

mughi3
30-03-2009, 08:00
With FNP and a shield generator....or at least thats how i ran mine.
:D

You can only have one of those in the entire tau army....nobs with claws is a different matter.

A1TEC
30-03-2009, 08:04
3 is a good number because of the points cost and what they can do.

Tigerguy
30-03-2009, 08:15
I run 3 pk, 3 uge choppas, 3 standard, and the painboy in my 10 man squad. You may overkill some squads, but against those rock hard, objective holding squads like Death Guard and Wraithguard, they are exactly what you need. Plus it makes it easy to make each Nob different to take advantage of wound allocation. My 10 man squad costs 666 points and is worth every penny.

Whitehorn
30-03-2009, 09:39
20, then they all get an extra attack too!

El_Phen
30-03-2009, 10:24
I to run a ten man (Ork?) Nob squad. I usually go for four Power Klaws, 'Eavy Armour on each and a Painboy mounted in a Battle Wagon and led by a Warboss. I find that almosst nothing else in the game, bar a tooled up Dark Eldar Lord with Incubi, concentrate the mind of your opponent more thus leaving your more vulnerable mobz to get on with the job of smiting all in their path. Granted it's apoints sink but by using Nobz in the first place you're spending vast numbers of points so I say make sure they can hit hard and fast and survive.

Darkhorse
30-03-2009, 12:22
1 PK and the rest 'Uge Choppas.

Mojaco
30-03-2009, 12:28
At both 1500 and 1750 i am currently running 3Pklaws, 2 uge-choopas and the unit numbers 8 bikers with the painboy. I do not think its easy to fit one more and keep all models different as well as it is a tad unnecessary, since they can down most tanks and infantry.

Uh-oh, are you one of those wound allocation abusers? Blergh.

I run 3 pk, 3 uge choppas, 3 standard, and the painboy in my 10 man squad. You may overkill some squads, but against those rock hard, objective holding squads like Death Guard and Wraithguard, they are exactly what you need. Plus it makes it easy to make each Nob different to take advantage of wound allocation. My 10 man squad costs 666 points and is worth every penny.

Bah, another. Have you no love for the game? Win win win is all that matters? Nob bikers are overpowered enough as it is.

Corrode
30-03-2009, 12:35
Uh-oh, are you one of those wound allocation abusers? Blergh.

Bah, another. Have you no love for the game? Win win win is all that matters? Nob bikers are overpowered enough as it is.

I'm glad we have you to keep us on the straight and narrow, Mr Internet Policeman.

Mannimarco
30-03-2009, 12:38
i used to run 3 pks and 3 choppas as well, then i started playing deffwing and now its 4 squads of 5 mega nobz in battlewagons with 2 warbosses, 22 powerklaws ftw! biker nobz? bah who needs 'em

Mojaco
30-03-2009, 13:03
I'm glad we have you to keep us on the straight and narrow, Mr Internet Policeman.
Mine is just another opinion. Disagree as you please, but it's this sort of rules abuse that pissed me off. It stinks like win-at-all-costs attitude, which is fine if you do it among a group of likeminded, but is pretty annoying in regular pick-up-games where fun for both sides should be more important.

Sorry for having a morale.

toymaker
30-03-2009, 14:10
I'm looking for rock sold squads w/o being cheesy. So I am doing one squad of six Nob bikers and the squad of 10 Nobz.

Bunker
30-03-2009, 14:27
Sorry for having a morale.

Do you mean "morals"?

Morals have nothing to do with playing Nob Bikers. Everyone likes fielding their strongest unit. It just so happens that Orks have one that people refuse to learn how to deal with and instead cry on the internet about.

You don't like the way they work? Don't play against Orks.

Problem solved. Being a drama llama about it on the internet doesn't do you any good. It isn't like GW is going to read your post and suddenly come to the conclusion that "Well hey, if Mojaco thinks they're cheap, we better do something about this guys!".

In short, GW doesn't care that you refuse to learn how to beat them. We don't care that you refuse to learn how to beat them. Whining about it will only make people want to field more and more of them against you.

Morals, lol.

Mannimarco
30-03-2009, 14:42
this is going to turn into a flame war real quick, there are plenty of threads about how to deal with nob bikers (ordinance is your friend)

Mojaco
30-03-2009, 14:53
Incredible. You manage to correct me on morals/morale, but you don't actually read my post. It's not Nob bikers I dislike. It's a unit in your army list, so by all means use it. They're not cheesy, they're just a bit common for tournament lists, but that's fine. Like you said, every likes fielding powerful units, and that's fine. We all like an army list that can win a fight. And true, ordnance is a fine solution.

My comment was on abusing wound allocation by giving them all different equipment. I can't see any other reason for doing that then wanted to win at all costs, at the expense of mutual fun. That is different to mearly wanting to win, which is natural.

Perhaps that's narrow of me.

Drama llama.. funny, exept for being directed at me :)

Whitehorn
30-03-2009, 15:15
So Mojaco, how many Power Klaws should be in a 10 man squad of Nobz?

Mojaco
30-03-2009, 15:45
There's no 'should'. I think 2 is the best cost/effect ratio, but do whatever you like. Just don't abuse the rules.

kikkoman
30-03-2009, 16:06
I can't see any other reason for doing that then

if anybody's going to have a completely random spread of weapons across one squad, it's going to be orks.
These are ork nobs, they take the biggest killiest equipment they can get their hands on. They don't care if it's rokkits firing at guardians or skorchas against space marines, it all makes their shoota's extra killy.

A uniform allotment of weapons to nobs would be kinda weird considering their background. Or you're a no good weedy bloodaxe git.

Bunker
30-03-2009, 16:14
if anybody's going to have a completely random spread of weapons across one squad, it's going to be orks.
These are ork nobs, they take the biggest killiest equipment they can get their hands on. They don't care if it's rokkits firing at guardians or skorchas against space marines, it all makes their shoota's extra killy.

A uniform allotment of weapons to nobs would be kinda weird considering their background. Or you're a no good weedy bloodaxe git.

Surprisingly, this exact explanation for the way his Nob Bikers were equipped got him chastised at a tournament he attended 2 weeks ago.

Mojaco
30-03-2009, 16:19

Fair enough. If that same person equips his ork nobs with random equipment and mixes rokkit launchas and big shootas in his squads, then I can imagine someone doing it for fluff. If not, it seems a very convenient unit to adhere to 'fluff'..

Angelwing
30-03-2009, 16:54
20, then they all get an extra attack too!

At last, someone thinking like a proper ork! :D

However, I have a 7 nob unit with the boss, and have 2 klaws. The others are a mixture of slugga - choppa or big shoota - choppa. The boss brings his own klaw for a total of 3 in the unit.

Power klaws get expensive very quickly!