PDA

View Full Version : War of the Rings questions

Emeraldw
30-03-2009, 02:25
Hi everyone. I went to BoLS recently and they had a review of War of the Ring and said it was a lot of fun and relatively cheap to get into so my questions is partly about how things work to get started.

1. Is WoTR an expansion or could I just get the WoTR book and be set up to go rules wise? Either way, what is the difference between WoTR and normal LoTR?

2. Are armies as expensive as 40k or Fantasy armies?

3. What are the differences between the armies? (I think BoLS said 10)?

*note* I don't expect you to type up the differences in gameplay, a link would be fine, I couldn't find a good one on the GW site.

That's all I can think of atm. I'll probably come up with more later, but thank you for the help. I've always been curious about the system but hearing the review made me really become bold enough to start asking questions about it.

Edit: Do you think I could use Warhammer models decently in the game? I have fantasy but I know LoTR's uses a differnet scale and round bases. Though I could look at this as a chance to expand myself :D

30-03-2009, 02:40
Hey. I'm not an SBG player but I am quite keen on the potential for this game.

1. It's a stand alone game. i.e. You don't need any of the SBG books to play this.

2. As for expense, I'm a WFB player and I think it's probably comparable to that and 40K depending on how big an army you build. The corker will be the rare units where the models are all metal and at $12 a piece, a "formation" of 4 companies of Rohan Royal Guard or Swan Knights of Dol Amroth will be over $100 once you throw in a banner, captain and named hero. The plastic kits are very reasonable and you could focus on those for starters.

3. Not sure what you're asking here. There are a number of "factions" - good and evil. Good factions would be: Gondor, Rohan, Lost Kingdoms, etc. (see GW site under "forces". As to how the Gondor faction plays differently than Rohan or Mordor vs. Isenguard or Misty Mountains, I couldn't tell you. Not sure if any one gamer out there has enough experience with the pre-release play testing to articulate that.

My opinion is that this is a much more thematic game (vs. WFB or 40K) in that it's a familiar story that has deep resonance with many/most of the gamers that take it up. Therefore, choose the Faction that you aligns with what you liked best from the books. (or the movie)

takaetun
30-03-2009, 07:56
1. WotR is a stand alone game, making it GW's fourth big system. It focuses more on huge battles, such as Pelannor Fields, which would be basically unplayable in SBG. It runs a lot faster and has most in common with probably Warmaster out of all GW's games.

2. Depending on what army, formations can be probably a little more expensive money wise, but if you add in monsters, Epic Heroes (Saruman, Boromir, etc), it quickly brings the cost down to much below WHFB cost.

3. lotrchampion made a great summary of the different armies here. (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188646)

lorelorn
30-03-2009, 09:25
Adding to the first answer

1. Stand-alone

2. It depends. In general, an army in WotR should be significantly cheaper, around 1/3 the cost of a comparable 40k or fantasy army, but if you focus on metals, you'll wind up paying through the nose.

Rohan - good cavalry and interesting epic heroes make for a fast, strong list. However the ral mounted power is with the metal cav, basic riders will only take you so far.

Gondor - a good all round army and you can build a solid core out of plastic - rangers, warriors, dead warriors, and knights. Then be prepared to spend spend spend on metals to fill out the gaps, whether that be elite soldiers and cav, war machines, or epic heroes.

Elves - lacking good plastic options at present, but expect that to change. Built intelligently this is a very powerful list.

Dwarves - solid, high strength, though it seems to me people either love or hate the miniatures range. Their elites are metal though and you will want these.

Mordor - evil's answer to Gondor. Plastic orcs, morannon orcs, trolls and warg riders are great. Outside plastic you have a lot of additional options, but the plastic horde can take you a long way.

Misty Mountains - the 'monster list' has dragons, the balrog, cave drakes, stone giants, with plastic goblins and wild wargs providing cheap numbers. Giant Spiders are another great part of this army.

Angmar - the spirit list. Mostly metal. Potentially very powerful.

Fallen Kingdoms - another list filled with choices, and lots of plastic too - easterling, harad and umbar warriors, harad cavalry and the mumak are all there for you. Expansion options can take this list in a number of different directions.

Isenguard - the army that is the answer to the question 'what if one army had everything?' as you will find everything in here. Basic troops with Fight and Strength 4, fast moving scouts, crossbows, cavalry, berserkers, siege machines, monsters, magic, demolition teams (this game's answer to fanatics) and more. A reasonable core of plastic warirors, scouts, trolls and warg riders is a good start, but you'll want to add crossbows and berserkers at least.

edit: no, no and thrice no!

Spider-pope
30-03-2009, 14:38
Edit: Do you think I could use Warhammer models decently in the game? I have fantasy but I know LoTR's uses a differnet scale and round bases. Though I could look at this as a chance to expand myself :D

There is nothing technically stopping you. However, you would spend every game having to explain what each model represents, then deal with being asked by every passerby why you are using Warhammer models in LOTR, and to be honest, it would look daft. Put a LOTR and Warhammer model next to each other and the difference is fairly staggering.

Building a LOTR force is fairly quick and a fair bit cheaper than fantasy. A couple of 15 boxsets sets you up pretty well for War of the Ring. I myself was able to start playing a decent game with just a box of Minas Tirith Warriors, a Box of knights and a couple of heroes. Sure the games were short but still fun. Once you have about 500 points or so, you can have a decent enough game and then just keep adding stuff.

If you are curious about the game, i recommend heading to your local GW and trying an introductory game. Its really the best way to see how the system works. After playing a couple of games of WOTR every week for the last couple of months, i really can recommend it as a fun game.

Emeraldw
30-03-2009, 14:38
Wow, thank you so much! I am glad that it is stand alone, that makes it easier to get into and hearing that it "can" be cheaper makes it simple to get into.

Thank you for that quick army rundown, that helps out. I am curious about "fallen Kingdoms" as I found the Harad models to look really cool and I like the idea of having a huge pakiderm in my army. :D

Spider-pope
30-03-2009, 14:41
That seems to be the trend with new players starting WOTR. Everyone starts off thinking hey, lets be Gondor/Rohan and use Aragorn, but then the temptation to use the big stuff hits. I've just finished painting a Balrog, and i dont even own any Moria Goblins!

Emeraldw
30-03-2009, 14:51
That seems to be the trend with new players starting WOTR. Everyone starts off thinking hey, lets be Gondor/Rohan and use Aragorn, but then the temptation to use the big stuff hits. I've just finished painting a Balrog, and i dont even own any Moria Goblins!

I would be lying if Elves didn't catch my eyes as well, but I have Eldar, High Elves and Wood Elves (which I might sell, possibly to fund this project!) so I am Elfed (is that a word?) out. Harad seemed interesting with that Eastern look.

I can't deny big things are cool, I have 2 Dragons and I have fielded only one, Once!

takaetun
31-03-2009, 00:45
I am curious about "fallen Kingdoms" as I found the Harad models to look really cool and I like the idea of having a huge pakiderm in my army.
That's a bad thought. A good thought would go something like "I like the idea of having a huge pachyderm in my army, and then another one behind it." ;)

Great thing is that you can have dragons as well as Mumakil in your army - I'm at 1220 points of Harad right now, including a Mumak, and people at my local are trying to persuade me to get a dragon and another Mumak, just to mess people up. :P

If I didn't already have a couple of boxes of Gondor (which I've painted as Arnor), I'd jump at the chance to make a Wood Elf army, or any elf army, just to see if I could. I love elves.

Emeraldw
31-03-2009, 02:18
That's a bad thought. A good thought would go something like "I like the idea of having a huge pachyderm in my army, and then another one behind it." ;)

Great thing is that you can have dragons as well as Mumakil in your army - I'm at 1220 points of Harad right now, including a Mumak, and people at my local are trying to persuade me to get a dragon and another Mumak, just to mess people up. :P

If I didn't already have a couple of boxes of Gondor (which I've painted as Arnor), I'd jump at the chance to make a Wood Elf army, or any elf army, just to see if I could. I love elves.

Why stop at Dragons? Throw in a Balrog :D (you can do that right?)

31-03-2009, 02:20

Good one. :)

But the thing about Murmakil and a dragon in the same list. Bad. Very bad. :cheese::rolleyes:

takaetun
31-03-2009, 02:24
You can very, very easily fit seven Mumakil in a 2000pt list. Of course, you won't ever have any friends to play against, and it'll cost AU$770 just for the Oliphants, but you could do it. :P

Thing I love is that the Balrog isn't a Legendary formation - you can have as many of them as you can fit. ;) Although, again, I do believe that the Mumak is a vastly better choice and much harder to kill, all for a lot less points.

Also, giant stomping evil elephants of death are just plain cool.