PDA

View Full Version : Spring/Summer Fantasy campaign signups

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 04:30
As promised, the website was put up for the campaign. It will launch first week of May.

You may view the website at http://warhammer.chrisnye.net

The premise of the campaign is that the Elector Count of Ostland is pushing to retake his province, since much was lost in the Storm of Chaos. This campaign will last five rounds and will detail the Elector Count's attempt to take back his province, or suffer in indignant defeat yet again.

Which side will you march with?

If you wish to participate simply reply to this thread with your name as it will appear on the website under factions as well as your email address for campaign newsletter, army, and commander's name.

This campaign will last approximately four months with each turn lasting between two and three weeks.

Battle results will be emailed to me at icedcrow (at) yahoo (dot) com. Fiction is HIGHLY encouraged and will be posted on the website, as weill any battle reports.

I plan on doing video battle reports of my own battles as well as incorporating a video to detail each round, time permitting.

First scenario will be released in a couple weeks. This gives my group time to paint and what not and prep for the campaign.

Experience in the rules section is optional, you are not required to keep track of your experienced units if you do not wish to.

Any other questions let me know.

Mercules
30-03-2009, 14:19
Hmmmm... I typically play Ogres and Wood Elves on the table, but online I can play nearly anything. That is going to push me to figure out what I want to play.

Would you prefer particular Army Books be pulled from?

Do you have a preference on Special Characters? I am assuming you would say no to them.

Keller
30-03-2009, 14:38
What armies are you looking to have participate in this campaign? Most any good V evil?

I have Empire, Dogs of War, Ogres, and Vampire Counts. My main opponent has Wood Elves and High Elves. I don't know that other opponents would be able to play much to participate (we all seldom get a chance to play, these days.) Their armies include TK, DE, WoC, BoC, Bretonnia, Dwarves, Orcs, DoC, just incase we could get a few games in.

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 15:18
Play what you want, work them into the campaign as you see fit.

Part of this is to excercise your creativity. I am just providing scenarios, the website, and the overall story, you provide the contents.

I am allowing special characters because they are legal and I'm not going to get back into trying to enforce comp on things that are in the army book. We have a lot of new players here and the last thing I want to do is stifle their enjoyment by trying to be the daddy comp enforcer.

If a SC is in the army book, use it.

The main theme is reclaiming ostland. As such the primary armies are empire and it's allies (remember Ostland never had the ability to form much of an army even in times of peace before the Storm of Chaos) and driving the remnants of the chaos army out of their realm.

The woods are thick with all kinds of creatures... not just chaos creatures... skaven... undead... the land is ripe to be taken by anyone.

Ogres are mercenaries. THey just want to eat. They don't care who they fight against so long as the great maw is being satiated.

Ultimate Life Form
30-03-2009, 15:45
This actually sounds pretty fun, Iīve never did anything like that before. Maybe Iīll be able to get my guys into it. Couple of questions:

1. What I do not understand, can we play as many battles as wanted and send the results in, or just one result per scenario (the "best" result)?

2. As for the narrative aspect, howīs it work and how will it be reflected in the campaign? Will every playerīs army be introduced and its history recorded, or does it just come down to "send in your results and do what you want"?

3. My main army is Lizardmen. Is it too farfetched to have them fight in Ostland? I donīt even have a clue what side theyīd be on. I also have Vampire Counts, which is obviously easier, but theyīre not fully developed yet, let alone painted...

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 15:56
1) yeah you can play as many battles as you want so long as they are from the scenarios given. I can't stop people from playing as many times as they want and then just sending in the "best" result so instead of trying I"m just saying send me everything. Past experience with this has taught me many lessons.

2) Narrative aspect is that the outcome of the overall battles for a round dictate the next round's orders. No I will not be personally writing about every army, I leave that up to you all to do. If you want details about your army included you have to write them. I will do some editing for grammar, etc... but will not be writing fiction about someone else's army.

3) No it's not far fetched to have lizardmen in Ostland. Perhaps one of the elector's men stole an artifact and the lizards are there to get it back. Perhaps they are there because the call of chaos sickens them and they are pursuing their own means. Neutral armies like lizardmen can be there for all kinds of reasons.

Hell the vampire counts might want the forest in ostland so will fight chaos for it!

It's all limited only by your own imagination.

selone
30-03-2009, 18:19
Are you sure its a good idea to let special characters roll on advancement tables?

Malorian
30-03-2009, 18:27
I'll have to check with the local empire player, but I think I can be in this...

Hell... count me in :D

I'll be playing with Orcs.

Morko's Waaagh had slowed down recently and this was something he just couldn't let happen.

Gathering up da boyz he marched out in search of battle and... well anything that had to do with fighting really...

His horde worked it's way into the Empire of man and directly towards Ostland...

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 18:29
Good point! Special characters can not be promoted or get any extra gear.

Nice catch.

Need some contact info for you guys wanting to join up though so I can get an email list going.

Mercules
30-03-2009, 18:31
Hmmmm... I was thinking about fluff. I was slowly turning over an idea of a Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch approaching Throgg the Troll King for an alliance. Thinking about that, Throgg getting lucky and getting +1 Str or ASF sounds pretty nasty. Also... who gets to play Archon? :D

Malorian
30-03-2009, 18:37
"A unit or hero that gains one rank of experience costs 10% more to field (minimum 1 point) per model rounded up. For example, a 30 point knight would cost 33 points to field. A 100 point hero would cost 110 points. A 12 point spearmen would cost 13 points."

Just noticed this. If you were truely rounding up then the 12 point spearment would be 14 points (12+1.2=13.2 rounded up = 14).

Can you clarify this?

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 18:41
Yeah you're right. I was just rounding in general in my math.

Looks like I have a couple of clarifications to make tonight. Thanks for the catches.

Malorian
30-03-2009, 18:46
One more thing...

"Heroes do not upgrade equipment as they have access to magic items. Instead they roll on the following (2D6)
2-5 New skill. Roll on honor chart.
9-12 - New skill. Roll on honor chart (pick one)."

What is the difference between these two? For the 2-5 once are you suppose to randomize which chart you use? (I'm guessing not and that you had something else in mind for the last one.)

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 19:07
No difference. If you roll a 2-5 OR a 9-12, you pick an honor chart to roll on.

Malorian
30-03-2009, 20:30
Ok.

Some times the simplest answer is the correct one ;)

Keller
30-03-2009, 20:31
Are we restricted to playing 1 army towards the campaign? Could we register 2 (or more) armies to play per player to advance various story lines? Of course then we would just be canceling out our own efforts, but maybe it could add some flair....

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 20:47
You can register 100 armies if you wish.

Ultimate Life Form
30-03-2009, 21:13
Will there be a way to tell apart the "good" armies and the "bad" armies? In the Factions section, it just says Ostland Militia and Chaos (what type exactly?), and for now, it seems obvious to me, but with many of the other armies, like Lizardmen, Ogres or Orcs, itīs not inherently obvious if they fight for the good side or the bad side, for example, Orcs trying to stomp Chaos because they seem to be the strongest adversaries available (after the campaign, they might miraculously turn evil...)

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 21:21
When you submit your battle report you will report which sides the armies were fighting on.

You have to decide that before the battle which side your faction is on.

You could be playing empire and be turncoats fighting for chaos... or even better... fighting against the elector count to grab the land for yourself!!

The ultimate result is ... the elector of Ostland is marching forces to reclaim some of his province. The enemy resides there. Which side will you fight for? The elector? The forces of chaos residing there? Or will you be a third faction with your own interests? That's what the world of warhammer is all about.

You could honestly play for either side with any army and come up with a story for it.

If orcs were trying to stomp chaos they aren't miraculously turning evil.... they are stomping chaos to try to claim the province for themselves! And that would be noted in the narrative.

Fideru
30-03-2009, 21:34
I'll attempt to join. What I mean by that is, I've still got to do up my soon-to-be WoC army (cheque clears in a few days). But, I'm not 100% sure if I will be done my army in time to really participate, I really prefer to play with a completely finished army than a half-assed one.

Gotta say though, great initiative, and great idea. Good man.

e/Just a note to say, I plan on basing my WoC as on the Good side. To explain more, they're actually heavily armoured/armed Empire troops, just using the WoC armybook to make it.

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 21:41
They could be a contingent from Reikland, which are renown for their heavy armored infantry (which used to be in the game up until 6th edition sadly)

Fideru
30-03-2009, 21:48
I was looking for something to base it off of, thank you very much. Any clue on Marauders though? I'm planning on buying the WoC battalion, shaving down Chaos Insignia and putting Imperial. Do Marauders hire theirselves out as mercenaries? I know there is a bit of that in WFRP. Not to clog up your thread, since this is for your campaign and not really my interests.

Thank you in advance.

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 21:51
Marauders are basically empire swordsmen. (Or axemen) They are light armored shield bearing hand weapon wielding troops (or they can be if you buy that). If you take that away you could make them a kind of militia. All kinds of opportunities.

Chosen with great weapons = great swordsmen.

Chaos chariot = steam tank hybrid.

Hell cannon = Experimental Great Cannon (with tricky fuse and tempremental widgets of doom)

;) I have a Tilean army (roman army) that uses empire list so all my troops don't neccessarily jive with the army book but I make them fit.

Mercules
30-03-2009, 22:10
Player: Mercules
Army: Wood Elves
Commander: Treelord Fendelief
E-mail: clbreg-at-spamex-dot-com

Heavy hoof beats dropped into the wet leaves in slow thuds. Raspy breath echoed through helms occasionally broken by a gurgle or the sharp snort of the things that were no longer truly horses. The men astride them, layered in heavy armor, were no longer men either but something more, or less, depending on perspective.

Slowly the unnatural force passed through the deep shadows of the wood. Hardly a word passed between them. When it did, it was hard and guttural tones. One familiar with the northern lands might recognize them, but not fully, for there was a buzz to the words, or a slur, making them almost unrecognizable.

Eventually they passed the glade. Eventually their taint flowed on after them. Eventually the fauna of the area again dared to give voice, to even breath. The wolves of the woods had frozen into the stillness they normally evoked in rabbits.

Long after this, a branch disengaged itself from a tree. It was not a true branch, but not even the chaos heightened senses of the men who had passed had picked him out, not even the squirrel that had perched not a foot from him and nibbled a nut prior to his movement. Selennial stretched his cramped muscles carefully and slowly, his movements slight enough to not spook birds perched nearby.

He had lain in wait to observe the Chaos Knights, had seen them up close, smelled their taint, felt their wrongness. The muscles in his arms had ached, not from the effort of maintaining his silent perch, but from tensing at the desire to pull his bow and strike them down.

From under his concealing cloak a small Spite flitted out. It's soft light illuminated his mud streaked face lighting up the pale blue of his eyes. In almost silent whispers he passed on a message to it waiting until it had speed off before dropping to the ground and gliding forward in long strides. He would track the knights and bring their doom to them.

Miles and miles away the little Spite found its target. Quellias was sitting quietly, his staff of living wood laying on his crossed legs. This part of what the men of the Empire called the Shadow Wood was deep and dark, full of dangerous things, but Quellias' home, Athel Loren was itself a dangerous thing and he feared very little here that was of this woods. The things that brought the Asrai here, however were deadly indeed.

Thus, when the tiny Spite whizzed down from the branches above to chime out Selennial's words, Quallias listened carefully. "Yes, my friend." he said quietly, "That is very serious. Yes, I will let the others know, where is he now? Oh... then I shall go at once. Please pass this on to Glorinfiedis and tell her to speak with the handmaidens. Yes I think that is wise. Naieth's vision must be diverted that is why Ariel sent us into these woods. If the others had failed, this would be our chance to turn aside the horde without fighting in Athel Loren."

His voice was gentle and quiet, harmonious with his environ and the Spite's tinkling replies disturbed nothing as well. "The fact that the tainted are still about, despite being turned aside by men is something the Handmaiden's should know." he continued, nodding as the Spite finally agreed with him and zipped off.

His communing with the woods disturbed, Quallias stood and stretched his long form. He pointed the staff towards the NorthEast and the land men called Ostland, and focused. The brush and trees in his path shifted enough that when he started sprinting it looked more like a child skipping. Roots lifted to provide him with support, brush parted to let him pass its thorny expanse unscathed.

Eventually his feet landed on branches rising him higher and higher above the level of brush. Branches swept aside, twisting to offer him footing to the next tree in line, some even whirled like oars, speeding his steps and he raced along on the elevated highway skipping towards deadly danger.

Deep in Athel Loren, Quallias' life-mate, Glorinfiedis had received the message and had gone to the Handmaidens of Fendelief. The Branchwraith had stared at her with eyes so much like her own, only lambent green. She was in her maiden form, not her war form and looked like a thin slip of an elven girl with vines twined about her body. "I agree." her hollow voice echoed into the air, "Lord Fendelief shall be told of this, per his wish. We agree that Naieth's vision shall be averted. We agree that Ariel is correct in her belief that we must destroy Cyanathair where ever he might spawn. I will speak in your stead. Gather your people."

Glorinfiedis thanked the Branchwraith, she still couldn't remember what the enigmatic spirit who served as Fendelief's voice called herself, and quickly left the scared grove. Handmaidens were touchy and even her connection with Athel Loren would not save her if they came to believe she was a risk to their lord. Her love had leaped to danger again, off after the Nymraif, but this time she was determined to be at his side. She fretted that she would have to wait to see what Fendelief said, but knew it to be necessary. Even the long lived elves grew impatient when waiting upon one of the truly ancient ones.

Fideru
30-03-2009, 22:35
Player: Fideru
Army: Dwarfs
Commander: Yahir Stonefist
E-mail: mat_thomas713 (at) hotmail (dot) com

e/Just to throw the information up here.
e2/Bank is being difficult. Probably won't get army done in time, so putting up current army. Going to throw pitch at my two fellow players (HE and OK).

Malorian
30-03-2009, 22:49
Hmmm I PM'd the info to IcedCrow, but I guess I better post it too...

Player: Malorian
Army: Orcs
Commander: Morko Orco
Email: malorian99@hotmail.com

(Fluff is in first post.)

FluidSpace
30-03-2009, 23:27
I have to say that I am a little confused. This sounds really cool and I think I really want to play, but I need a few things clarified. I understand that we will be playing off of different scenarios. So does this mean that some games will be 2k games while others may be 1k games?
Also I am fairly new to the warhammer scene and also fairly new to the area that I live in. So if i am the only person in my area that is doing this.. is that going to be a problem? And since the campaign revolves around empire i am guessing that i am going to need to find an Empire player to play against (I would play OnG)? I hope this is all making sense and that I am not asking obvious questions.
Thanks in advance.

IcedCrow
30-03-2009, 23:41
I hope I can clarify for you:

The scenarios will have a points limit. However you can escew that if yo udon't have enough models for a smaller amount.

Also, your opponent must also be registered to play on the website. This could be a simple matter for you of just obtaining campaign information such as general, contact info, etc of your opponent. If they don't have email just mention that in the battle report.

Ultimate Life Form
30-03-2009, 23:45
I have to say that I am a little confused. This sounds really cool and I think I really want to play, but I need a few things clarified. I understand that we will be playing off of different scenarios. So does this mean that some games will be 2k games while others may be 1k games?
Also I am fairly new to the warhammer scene and also fairly new to the area that I live in. So if i am the only person in my area that is doing this.. is that going to be a problem? And since the campaign revolves around empire i am guessing that i am going to need to find an Empire player to play against (I would play OnG)? I hope this is all making sense and that I am not asking obvious questions.
Thanks in advance.

Well, itīs possible the point allowance may differ from scenario, itīs all up to the frozen Crow. But probably heīll let us decide the size ourselves, since he actually asks we tell him in the battle report (if I got that right).

Well, you need someone to play against, thereīs no way around it, but not necessarily Empire. If you read the previous posts, obviously pretty much any constellation is allowed, as long as you have an excuse for it. Even Chaos vs Chaos vying for power should be okay. My army is Lizardmen and my friendīs is Wood Elves, both armies that have absolutely no connection to Ostland or the Empire, but as long as they have some kind of mission to accomplish and stand in each otherīs way, itīs okay. Of course, it should have at least something to do with the campaign.

IcedCrow
31-03-2009, 00:09
Actually let me correct you, Wood Elves have a ton to do with Ostland. Wood Elves live in the dark forests of Ostland and they would ally with the Empire to kick the chaos stain out of their forests.

Ultimate Life Form
31-03-2009, 00:28
Actually let me correct you, Wood Elves have a ton to do with Ostland. Wood Elves live in the dark forests of Ostland and they would ally with the Empire to kick the chaos stain out of their forests.

Yeah. Or that. Shows that I donīt really care about these pathetic wood dwellers, always shooting my Skinks. However, I still have trouble imagining what would make a WE army and a LM army clash in Ostland, of all places. Iīd better make something up quick...

IcedCrow
31-03-2009, 00:53
An idea:

Lizardmen are in the old world chasing down a thief who stole an artifact. Thief ran into the woods. The elves don't like the lizardmen army in their woods.

In this case... totally neutral battle but the lizardmen would inadvertantly be on chaos' side because their quarry are imperials.

FluidSpace
31-03-2009, 01:01
Thank you. That helps a lot. So even if it is just one or two other people near me that are playing that campaign, i could just play against them the whole time.. as long as i relate it to the campaign somehow..

IcedCrow
31-03-2009, 01:06
Exactly. As long as you are playing the scenario and reporting the results, you're golden. These things are a blast.

Lord Omnissah
31-03-2009, 09:55
Player: Lord Omnissah
Army: Empire
Commander: Siegfried Draksryk
Email: Ostutts@gmail.com

Urgat
31-03-2009, 10:46
Shame, I would have liked to participate, but I can't play real games (away from my parents home for months, where my armies are). If there's a way to play online, and people willing to do so, I can give it a go, though.
About special characters, you should at least ban the non contemporary ones, even though I think they should be either banned altogether, or must be renamed (exemple: Garek Stronghammer -uses Thorek rules-), if only to avoid them being fielded in two different armies.

Mercules
31-03-2009, 11:49
Shame, I would have liked to participate, but I can't play real games (away from my parents home for months, where my armies are). If there's a way to play online, and people willing to do so, I can give it a go, though.
About special characters, you should at least ban the non contemporary ones, even though I think they should be either banned altogether, or must be renamed (exemple: Garek Stronghammer -uses Thorek rules-), if only to avoid them being fielded in two different armies.

I PM'd you a site. I'd post it but with GW running around worrying about Intellectual Property the way they are lately I'd just rather PM those interested.

IcedCrow
31-03-2009, 12:33
If you guys want to play online you can. There's nothing stopping you from playing a game online with someone else and posting the results.

As to banning characters, I'm not going to do that because after having run events for many many years I've found that trying to ban special characters is all a matter of opinions.

If someone wants to run a special character, it's currently legal to do so. Them's the rules of the game. You can try to approach your opponent (which in a campaign is most of the time your friend anyway) and say "hey man can we do a game without SCs"?

Ultimate Life Form
31-03-2009, 14:13
Honestly, I hate Special Characters. It ruins the game for me. Iīm looking forward to the cosmic showdown Karl Franz vs. Karl Franz at the gates of Harnstadt (which means **** City by the way, great). But alas, I too think banning them would not do much good and only lead to trouble...

Fideru
31-03-2009, 16:01
Oh well, guess it's good to ask for no special characters then, eh?

IcedCrow
31-03-2009, 16:06
Yeah that' what I'd do. I know here we have new players and they may be interested in running SCs. I'm not opposed to it. They'll find out soon enough that most special characters are crutches anyway and that when you kill one off the rest of the army is open to be exploited because of the expense.

Urgat
31-03-2009, 16:20
If you guys want to play online you can. There's nothing stopping you from playing a game online with someone else and posting the results.

Well, if there's people up for this, and we manage to organise such games, I'm up for it.
Just wondering, are you ok with chaos dwarfs? I'd like to take the opportunity to try that army since I'm slowly building one.

IcedCrow
31-03-2009, 16:29
As far as I know the ravening hordes chaos dwarf list is still legal.

w3rm
31-03-2009, 22:54
Player: w3rm
Army: Orcs & Goblins
Commander: Tharkorr Elfkrusha
Email: red20wall@yahoo.com

Malorian
31-03-2009, 22:55
So with these emails we are giving you, are you going to email us when the new missions are up?

IcedCrow
31-03-2009, 22:58
I will post on here and send emails out.

The more the merrier.

I will hold off on putting up factions until scores come in from first scenario.

IcedCrow
01-04-2009, 00:32
Please head to http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/WarseerCampaign/ to sign up for the email list.

The email address will be WarseerCampaign@yahoogroups.com

ddfishy
01-04-2009, 01:49
1) yeah you can play as many battles as you want so long as they are from the scenarios given. I can't stop people from playing as many times as they want and then just sending in the "best" result so instead of trying I"m just saying send me everything. Past experience with this has taught me many lessons.

Ok so we can send in as many battles as we want but how many are going to be counted??? Will our best result be counted or will all of them. If it is all of the battles how will you balance the number of results that come from the players since some players can play more often they could potentially rake up a huge number of games over the other faction?

I assume that you are only running the two factions listed in the faction part of the site. What if neither faction suits my tastes?

IcedCrow
01-04-2009, 05:23
The problem is there is no best of. Otherwise people would just keep playing until their scores were what they wanted.

This runs just like the GW campaigns. If you play 5 games over the weekend, you can submit 5 scores.

As to factions, there are the people dwelling in the province and their allies, and the people wanting them out, and their allies.

If you don't want to be either you can write fiction to make your own storyline but ultimately the campaign scoring affects one of the two factions.

IcedCrow
01-04-2009, 16:19
Some more info:

The campaign lasts 5 turns. It is the Elector's hope that his outnumbered force quickly and decisively take back three towns along the way to the castle once known as Festunglowe, the Keep of the Lion (now renamed to Charon's Hold by it's chaos occupants).

The first three rounds play out the assault or rebuffs of the three towns. The fourth round is a daring attack and sieze of Zephy's Vault, a bright wizard who died in the war who kept a surplus of items stacked in a hidden bunker. The elector feels that owning this vault could give items to the force that could help tip the balance.

The last round is the final battle on the plains near Charon's Hold.

At the beginning of the campaign, the chaos faction will outnumber the Elector's 3000-2000 in points in this final scenario.

Each village is worth 500 points to the chaos faction. This means that if the imperial faction wins three of the three villages, the numbers will be dropped to 2000-1500 in favor of the imperials. Each scenario will be preceded by a skirmish scenario which may influence the main scenario of the round.

The vault will grant whoever owns it 250 points of magic items. The scenario will be entirely character based with one unit of troops allowed and four wizards max.

The final battle, the chaos forces may choose to fight in the open, or may retreat behind the walls of their keep in which case a set of siege scenarios will play out.

The overall winner of the campaign will be whoever owns Charon's Hold at the end of the campaign.

Depending on participation I may procure some plaques for best average battle points earned throughout the course of the campaign.

Kamenwati
01-04-2009, 19:13
Quick question on the vault mission. I play Tomb Kings where every character (except one) can cast spells but not all of the casters are wizards. Only the Liche Priests generate dispel dice. How would you want to classify them for this mission?

Also I would like a link to the site for playing out some games online please. Currently stationed out in the Azores which makes it very unlikely I'll find any opponents.

IcedCrow
01-04-2009, 19:21
I'll have to think about the tomb kings. The point of capping wizards is to prevent someone from bringing an army of wizards and 50 power dice.

I'd say it will probably be around the lines of only four of yours may cast incantations and what not.

As to online rules I don't have any but there is a thread somewhere in the forums about it.

IcedCrow
02-04-2009, 14:48
Writing script out for video. Scenarios almost done. Fiction almost done. If interested please join the yahoogroup I posted above for email news.

FluidSpace
02-04-2009, 23:03
Player: FluidSpace
Army: OnG
General: Grimgor Ironhide
Email: superspyderfly@yahoo.com