PDA

View Full Version : Current Most Popular Army

rcm2216
30-03-2009, 06:21
What is the order of the current most popular armies?

JLBeady
30-03-2009, 07:15
I instinctively voted Orks because how hard the army is under 5th but really it is Space Marines (duh!). Even though I am putting most of my energy into Orks, I still manage to spend more money on Space Marines.....sigh....

mughi3
30-03-2009, 07:18
Right at the moement orks seem to be getting lots of love followed by the new space marines, but i see that as new codex glory. i expect the IG to fully eclipse them in a few short weeks.

Kulgur
30-03-2009, 07:21
Probably Space Marines, SM variants, Orks, Tau, Eldar, Chaos Marines, Nids, the rest, from most to least

Moriarty
30-03-2009, 07:23
Most of the newer armies around me are Orks.

StarshipBOb
30-03-2009, 07:32
I've been seeing alot of Space Marine armies around these parts.

PaddyF
30-03-2009, 07:35
I think it is $MOST_RECENTLY_RELEASED_ARMY along with Space Marines.

Far Seer
30-03-2009, 09:55
i loooove orks... i just want to say this: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
Sadly, it's my secondary army after my Blood Angel Space marines(i'm spending more on SM than orks) i voted anyways for orks

Vote Kantor
30-03-2009, 10:04
two things,
A. THERE ARE NO IMPERIAL GUARD ON THAT POLL!!? :wtf:
B. i voted space marines for two reasons, all newbies have them, in my group of players about 40 % of people collect marines, (i play guard YAY)

Atr_127
30-03-2009, 10:16
no guard option... cant really vote.

nagash66
30-03-2009, 10:23
No IG i mean come on !!

Poseidal
30-03-2009, 10:25
I'm surprised anyone voted for something other than Space Marines. We won't know for sure without sales data from GW though.

SimonL
30-03-2009, 12:11
I believe the figure is something like half of all 40k sales being Space Marines...and you wonder why they get so much love :D

Poseidal
30-03-2009, 12:19
Actually, I heard Chaos Black spray outsells even the Space Marines but that doesn't get as much love. :(

Lord Damocles
30-03-2009, 12:32
I enjoy the implication that Necrons may be the most popular army.

It's clearly Marines of some flavour - isn't that the reason people are always complaining about them being the poster boys of 40K, and everyone and their gran having an Ultramarine army?

Xelloss
30-03-2009, 12:33
Don't understand the question : is that "what are the commonly most liked army around you ?" or "Wondering what is the most popular army, so what's yours ?"

The_Outsider
30-03-2009, 13:46
I enjoy the implication that Necrons may be the most popular army.

Last time I checked I counted at least 6 necron armies.

It's clearly Marines of some flavour - isn't that the reason people are always complaining about them being the poster boys of 40K, and everyone and their gran having an Ultramarine army?

If we follow warseer logic, selling more than fantasy on their own means marines are "second to flavour of the month".

ToXiK
30-03-2009, 13:58
well i believe that marines are the most popular now weather is because they get more love or that is the reason they get more love is up in the air

Robineng
30-03-2009, 14:43
I voted Eldar, because atleast over here I know of roughly 6 Eldar players... Orks and SM are second most popular with 3 players each. Atleast among the ones I know about.

the1stpip
30-03-2009, 15:30
Amd who voted Inquisition forces for most popular army.

I may be a die hard DE player, but I voted Orks (cos SMs may be more popular with kids, but I don't play many kids)

Pacific
30-03-2009, 15:31
i think on average Marines will prove to be most popular. They mushroomed in popularity when they were first given T4, when the world and his wife played them late RT and early 2nd edition, and I'd be very suprised if this state of affairs ever changes!

Interesting now that 2 people have voted Inquisitional forces. Either someone not understanding the question, or a play group of 1 perhaps? :p

Xelloss
30-03-2009, 17:14
i think on average Marines will prove to be most popular. They mushroomed in popularity when they were first given T4, when the world and his wife played them late RT and early 2nd edition, and I'd be very suprised if this state of affairs ever changes!

Interesting now that 2 people have voted Inquisitional forces. Either someone not understanding the question, or a play group of 1 perhaps? :p

Well I didn't totally understood the question at first, asked for precision, was totally ignored.
From your post I might have the answer, as you mock the other way to understand this quite poorly formulated question - so it must mean that it is the wrong...

In my FLGS, kids mostly bring smurfs and orks (some of them are less than 10y/o O_o I seriously doubt they can really play effectively), black reach-geared. Teens bring tau, and some vets come with IG (well most of them had switch to WB, so it isn't really representative).
In fact the most popular army seems to bring none ("hey ! you wanna play ? - Sure ! - What do you play ? - ####, but I didn't bring it with me !")

Vaktathi
30-03-2009, 17:17
I like how Dark Eldar made it into the poll, but Imperial Guard didn't. Very odd.

that said, currently it's gotta be Space Marines of the vanilla flavor.

blackroyal
30-03-2009, 18:47
Here is a breakdown of who plays what from my memory. Most are 20-30. Totals at the bottom.

Kevin: Orks, Eldar, Chaos SM, Chaos Daemons, Deathwing, Necron, Tyranids
Matt: Orks, Eldar, Chaos SM, Chaos Daemons, Space Marines, Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard
Nate/wife: Eldar, Tyranids, Marines, Chaos Marines
Lee: Space Marines, Tau, Chaos Daemons
Ken: Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tyranids
Chris: Orks
Justin: Tyranids, Tau
Sun: Tau, Inquisition, Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Necron
Guy I forgot name of:Space Marines
Brice: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons.
Kyle: Black Templars, Chaos Daemons
Newish guy who I can't name: Necron
Other new guy: Space Marine
Shaun: Eldar
Don: Chaos Marines
Chuck: Chaos Marines, Marines.
Jim: Tyranid, Chaos Marines, Eldar
Other Jim/son: Imperial guard, White Scars, Tyranids

Totals:
Space Marine:10
Chaos Marine: 7
Chaos Daemons:5
Eldar:5
Tyranid:6
Tau:3
IG:4
Orks: 3
Necron: 3
Inquisition: 1
Dark Eldar:1
Other Marines: 2

So Out of 20 players and 50 armies, approximately 20% are some form of Loyalist marine.

noobzilla
30-03-2009, 18:54
I voted for Chaos Marines, of the 4 players I most frequently play, they all own a Chaos Army, followed by Marines.

Coragus
30-03-2009, 18:55
I assumed "most popular" meant most played. I attended the Exterminatus this month. Space Marines take the title of most played, so I voted for them.

Starchild
30-03-2009, 19:24
0 votes for Tau? :confused: :wtf:

Anyway, I voted SMs, as I can never visit my local store without spotting at least two armies of them. :(

antin3
30-03-2009, 19:33
IG and Necrons didn't make the list because I guarantee you they aren't anywhere near the top and probably never will be. (and I am an IG player). The Necrons don't have enough character for many people to get into them and the IG are a true horde army with no easy and cheap way to collect (ala Black Reach) and besides this is the far future. Many people want a sexier army than the IG. I voted SM they are and always will be the number one most popular army. I bet it wouldn't be a stretch to say that 90% of the people that play 40k have at one time or another played, began playing or started a marine army of some flavor.

Pacific
30-03-2009, 20:08
Sorry Xelloss, didn't mean to be offensive at all!

laudarkul
30-03-2009, 21:09
Around my area I would say CSM, followed by SM, Eldar and DE, Necrons and Tau.

The Highwayman
30-03-2009, 21:12
I voted Chaos Marines, mainly because I have just started my own chaos force!

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
30-03-2009, 21:14
Games Workshop: Space Marines
My friends: Tau
Me: Eldar

Kurisu313
30-03-2009, 21:20
Imperial Guard have a large following on warseer.

I'd like to see this poll re-run with guard in it...it'd be interesting.

I mean, sheesh, of all the armies to forget, you forget humans?!?

It is nice to see that the marine's popularity is indeed true, though.

Necro Angelo
30-03-2009, 21:25
...I honestly don't think there is anyone at my games workshop who does'nt have a Space Marine army. Oh, except me.

Sypher21
30-03-2009, 21:32
Imperial Guard are actually pretty huge, it's a shame OP left them out in favour of some ( obviously ) less played armies; Inqusition, SoB, Dark Eldar.

So, no vote from me.

Bunnahabhain
30-03-2009, 21:44
1st: Marines
2nd: More marines
3: Orks/Current flavour of the month

Marines are THE figurehead of 40k, are relatively easy and cheap to start, with AOBR and such like, have virtually everything in plastic, and have an easy learning curve (to get to a reasonable level) compared to most armies.

Sttucker13
30-03-2009, 21:54
Last time I checked I counted at least 6 necron armies.

I've been a part of three gaming clubs/stores in two states and I just last weekend encountered anyone besides myself playing Crons. I have, in that course of time, probably battled every Chapter and Company of Space Marines in the Imperium.

Bregalad
30-03-2009, 21:57
I don't understand what this thread is about.
1.) Is it a poll of what armies we personally like best on Warseer?
2.) Is it a question about objectively most popular (payed/bought) armies? Then why a poll?

Anyway, both questions have been dealt with in dozens of threads already.

At least the probably most popular army on Warseer, Imperial Guard, was forgtten in the poll. ;)