PDA

View Full Version : 2009 pt Tournament VC style reports!

Gharof von Carstein
30-03-2009, 09:56
And im back warhammer VC fans! Iv just come back from the 2009 pt tournament in haarlem in the netherlands! this big fantasy tournament was organised in memory of the siege of haarlem some odd 200 years ago or so. the point limit for the tournament was 2009 points and as most of you have seen from my army list poll thread, this is the army i used:

Vamp lord
-Master of the black arts
-forbidden lore
-summon ghouls
-crown of the damned
-flayed hauberk,
-+magic level
= 415p

vampire
-dark acolyte
-summon ghouls
-black periapt
= 160p

vampire
-dark acolyte
-book of arkhan
= 185

necromancer
-extra spell (vanhels, IoN)
-corpse cart with balefire
= 170p

Ghouls + Ghast x 15 = 128p

Corpse cart + balefire = 100p

Black knights x7
-bannerwearer
-banner of the dead legion
-musician
= 247p

Varghulf = 175p
Varghulf = 175p

= 2009p

Ill be writing up the reports in the course of the week and when I have time basically. the scenario's for this tournament werent very interesting as it was just a straight up pitched battle every time.

With a roar the vampire general emerged from his coffin, reborn. His wounds both mentally and physically from his last experience had healed. He was ready to go out once more and destroy all who dared oppose him. Clad in his robes and golden armour (new model yay!) the lord went out to inspect his troops. No sooner that he did, scouts rushed up to bring him dire news. A vast host of High elven white lions had arrived, hearing of the weakened state of the dread vampire lord, the high elves had rushed from ulthuan to end the undead threat. And apperently they were not the only ones. Having made a name for himself by blatantly slaughtering the orc tribes and vast parts of the eastern empire, he had attracted unwanted attention. Scouts reported not only the High elves, but also a host of lizardmen bringing a score of deamons in their wake. With a few hastedly shouted orders Gharof the reborn lord assembled his host and marched for nothing but utter victory.

filling out a few things; my necro always joined a ghoul unit with a vamp for more protection, that unit and the other one with the normal vamp were always fielded 6 wide, my general was in a ghoul unit always fielded 5 wide for 2 ranks from the get go. my lord had forbidden lore so i used several magic lores that day. (served me well)

Game 1 vs High Elves

His list was a little bit vague to me but hey it was white lion themed and this is what i remember it to be, why cant i remember the list that good? youll read later ;)

his list:
General on white lion chariot
two lvl 2 wizards (lore of heavens) 1 with a scroll and 1 with ring with bound fury of kaine on it.
BSB w/ banner of immune to psychology (no idea what its called HE players)

archers x 10
spearmen x 20
white lions x10
white lions x10
bolt throwers x2
eagle

the terrain was a lot of forest, no hills and a small pool of water in the middle left. we deemed all the terrain as being difficult and moved on to deployment, he won first turn and deployment and deployed from left to right:

archers, general on chariot, eagle, spearmen w/wizard, white lions w/ wizard, bolt throwers, white lions with bsb.

i deployed from left to right:

varghulf, ghouls with periapt vamp, corpse cart, ghouls with general, ghouls with necro on cart and book vamp, black knights, varghulf

rolling for spells i got raise dead gaze of nagash on both my vamps and seeing no reason to go for anything but lore of the vamps i chose that for my forbidden lore choice. he rolled the first and fourth spell of lore of the heavens on his first wizard and the first and third spell on his second one.

HE 1st turn

He doesnt move much up except his eagle to the side near his archers, the lions on the right move up a little to cover move out of the way of the line of sight on his boltthrowers, the white lions in the middle and the spearmen move up some and thats it. His magic phase gets shut down by me and his shooting does absoltuly nothing. he passes turn.

VC 1st turn

the varghulf on the left runs up to threaten his archers the ghoul blocks and corpse carts move up. The carts are now both in full range of the wizards to put a serious cramp on his magic style. The varghulf on the right and the black knights move up together to threaten his boltthrowers and white lion unit there. In the magic phase i start blasting the squishy elves with every gaze of nagash i can muster and i manage to blow up half a unit of white lions (the middle one without BSB)and they panic and run for the hills (they never return) and a rank of the spearmen who are a wound away from having to make a panic test. vanhels sees the right varghulf block the white lions from ever charging my black knights and I pass turn.

HE 2nd turn

His movement consists of him charging my right varghulf with the whtie lions. parking his eagle to the left of my left varghulf out of LoS. magic is shut down yet again and he even miscasts :) i get to throw out a free spell and use it to throw off a wind of undeath. i deal 3 wounds killing a crew member of his bolt thrower and wounding his chariot and a spearmen. the spirit host created is parked infront of my generals unit a few measily inch away from his spearmen. in his shooting he again does the big zippo. in combat his lions do 3wounds to my varghulf but i pass 2 regen tests and with the varghulf killing 4 i get to only crumble for one and pass that regen as well ;) annoyed he passes turn.

VC 2nd turn

I charge the left varghulf into his archers and the spirit host into his spearmen (why you ask? my lord i have...a cunning plan!) the right varghulf is supported by the black knights joining the fight in the magic phase i raise up a zombie unit and vanhels it into the spearmen along with the spirit host. a few IoN later and the zombies count 21 in number to help out their fellow undead. a curse of years on the spearmen cuts their number down further and there are only 2 ranks left now. in the combat phase the varghulf on the left crushes the archers and slams the brakes to just barely keep on the table while still overrunning the archers. the varghulf and black knight combo kill the white lions save the BSB who miraculously holds. the zombies do a wound on the spearmen along with 3 wounds from the spirit host is more than enough to send the spearmen running (only 6 of them got to hit the zombies and a lot of them whiffed) the spearmen are overrun and cut down by the spirit host. done with combat i pass turn.

HE 3rd turn

He moves his white lion chariot up (finally) to position a charge on the zombies. His eagle is a scared little chicken he seems to have forgotten about as he doesnt move it any further down the map. seeing as his wizards bit the big bullet he has no magic phase and in the shooting phase the bolt throwers shoot and miss yet again. in the combat phase his BSB manages to pull another wound on my varghulf on the right before getting ripped to tiny elf pieces. he passes turn:

VC 4th turn

I charge my varghulf on the right into his bolt thrower who fails terror and flees off the board. the black knights move up to his second bolt thrower and the left varghulf sneaks behind his chariot to await a big ol' vanhels on him to get the general. by this time im lord and master of the board and when my vanhels succeeds to get my right varghulf on his bolt thrower and my left varghulf on his general with the possibility of adding two more ghoul units on it he decides to call it quits.

Massacre for the vampires!

Gharof looked on as his minions tore through the frail elves on all sides of the field. Their invigoration upon his return was admirable indeed. With this fierce a assault at his command the vampire lord knew not even the slaves of the old ones would stand a chance against him

Seeing as he gives i get full points of his entire list (2009) plus 3 table top quarters, his general dead, his bsb captured and 3 banners captured all for 100p a piece. this way i end up with 2809 points to his half points for 2 wounds on my varghulf giving him 87p this puts me well in first place on the tournament board. A lizardmen player scores 2700 vs 175 against a vampire counts player and i can guess who my next opponent will be :)

Stay tuned...

Briohmar
30-03-2009, 13:02
My lord i have...a cunning plan!

I'm not sure I would have chosen that line, since only one of his Cunning Plans ever worked.

A any rate, you may have overdone it on the first fight, but I guess we'll see. I'm willing to bet the Lizards gave you more of a fight.

Gharof von Carstein
30-03-2009, 13:06
he did. it was awesome playing a guy of good caliber with a awesome and tough as nails lizardmen list. i dont have time to do the report now but let me just say this.

no slann...

4 stegadons/3 ancient and 1 normal...2 engines of the gods... plenty of skinks and razordons.

ya i had fun :P

ps.

baldrick just rocks and what i did looked like something he would do. i mean who charges a spirit host and 21 zombies into a unit of 20 spearmen? sure i magicked them down the same turn but still :P

Briohmar
30-03-2009, 14:01
I did the cunning plan thing in my second game on Sunday, and, like everything else during that tournament, it failed miserably. I sent a Herald BSB with the Icon of dispair directly towards two Tiranoc Chariots, mistakenly thinking that one of them would fail a fear test on a 6. Boy was that ever dumb. Can't wait to read the lizard report.

Malorian
30-03-2009, 14:43
That was quite the beat down for their first game.

White lions were kind of useless seeing as how their stubborn would be ignored, but at least they tried to put up a good fight.

Looking forward to more (and hopefully pictures ;) ).

eagletsi1
30-03-2009, 16:14
Bring it on. I still don't understand why white lions wouldn't have the Lion Standard? I may never understand this move.

Sorry it was a type

selone
30-03-2009, 18:15
So they becomme immune to fear and terror, stubborn troops who don't get auto broken are significantly better against fear causers.

keep up the reports gahrof and hopefully we'll get a longer one this time :D

SevenSins
30-03-2009, 18:31
quite a show first round, next one seems rougher on the dead guys, looking forward to the rest

Gharof von Carstein
31-03-2009, 05:02
sorry to say no pictures. although i do have time today to maybe paint a few up for clarity. the lizardmen game is a lot fresher in my mind. i will say this tournament put me on the 11th place in the ranking of belgium and the netherlands combined so im just forced to play another tournament the 18th of april to expand on this. at the end of the year i might have a shot at that nice gold and silver gauntlet they give the nr 1 :D

Gharof von Carstein
01-04-2009, 11:02
The crafty lizardmen tried to divert their daemonic pursuers towards the vampires. Gharof would make pay them dearly for that tactical mistake. His scouts informed him that the lizardmen had hidden in a nearby swamp waiting for the daemons arrival to combat the vampires. Feeling empowered by the blood of the elves the count sent his units into the swamp to make the little lizards pay for their mistake. As the tree's cracked and the awesome stegadons of the lizardmen broke through the treelines at the edge of the swamp, Gharof felt a slight tingle of excitement. This would prove to be worthy of his attention.

BTW i havent mentioned Gharof's stupidity rolls yet, thats because i passed them all! all day long!

Game 2 vs Lizardmen!

His list:

Skink chief on stegadon with blowpipes.
Skink priest on ancient stegadon with engine of the gods/dispell scroll
Skink priest on ancient stegadon with engine of the gods/dispell scroll
skink priest on stegadon

skinks x10 with blowpipes/skirmishers
skinks x10 with blowpipes/skirmishers
skinks x10 with blowpipes/ranked
razordons x3
pteradons x3

the field was a swamp like terrain full of small pools of water and a forest here and there. both his skink priests had lore of the heavens and my general chose lore of the beasts, his skinks rolled the reroll dice spells and my guys rolled curse of years and gaze of nagash for the periapt vamp, and vanhels and raise dead for the book vamp.

he won deployment and deployed from left to right:
skink skirmishers, skink skirmishers, priest on stegadon, skinks ranked infront of the stegadon, ancient with engine, stegadon with skink chief, ancient with engine, razordons infront of the stegadons, pteradons,

i deployed from left to right:

varghulf, black knights, ghouls with book vamp, corpsecart, ghouls with general, ghouls with cart and periapt vamp, varghulf

he won first turn and went first:

LM 1st turn:

He moves everything up a little and flies his pteradons near a forest in the middle of the field. the skinks go skinky dipping in a pool infront of them and near my varghulf on the left, the ranked ones walk up the front with the razordons. In his magic phase he uses his engine powers to give his units ward saves and to decrease the casting value of his spells. in his magic phase he tries to get off a lot of reroll castings but i dispell most of them as he is just in range of the carts. the rest of his castings fail and he moves to shooting. shooting on the left varghulf is a no go while his razordons shoot off a few ghouls in my generals unit. he passes turn.

VC 1st turn:

I declare a charge on the skink unit on the left but i just fall short with my varghulf, the ranked skink unit does get charged by my black knights. stupid mistake on my part as that was exactly what he wanted me to do... (the steggys would almost all catch the black knights the next turn) the right varghulf heads deep into the forest to go pteradon hunting. my middle ghoul units march up towards the razordons to hope to get to them without getting shot upon. in the magic phase i try to cast the beasts cower on his ancient stegadon with engine but he dispells it. i try to cast a the wolf hunts on my right varghulf but miscast... i throw a 7 on the table and my general shrugs off the S2 hit and loses the rest of his dice. the book vamp IoN's the ghouls back on the generals unit as my necromancer vanhelses my right varghulf into the pteradons the first try is scrolled but the second goes through. the rest of my magic is dispelled. in the combat phase the varghulf whipes out the skinks on the left and the black knights whipe out the skinks in the middle. the varghulf overruns into safety while the black knights are one inch short of overrunning into the stegadons... thats tough luck... the right varghulf takes out one pteradon and wounds another. i pass turn.

LM 2nd turn:

he starts off by charging all ancient stegadons on my black knights. the other unit of skinks heads into shooting position on my varghulf hoping to poison it down to size. in his magic phase he activates the lowering of casting values and uses the ray to hope to hit my varghulf as well as my knights. he just hits the knights however who are already reduced down to 3...and we still have impact hits... in his shooting phase his razordowns go ******* on my ghoul unit with book vamp and take out a whopping 6 of them. the blowpipe steggy shoots and kills my corpse cart. his skinks wound my varghulf twice due to poison but i regen save them. in combat the knights are killed and he restrains his units from overrunning. the pteradons whiff and miss on the varghulf on the right and he finishes them off. with combat done and over with we move on to my next turn.

VC 2nd turn:

losing my knights gave me a glimpse of the power of those stegadons... those rays are nothing to sneeze at so we will have to see how we get those down. i move the left varghulfs into a charge position on one of the stegadons while my right varghulf moves within a few inches for a charge on the razordons without them getting stand and shoot. i do the same with my book vamp and move my generals unit up. the right ghoul unit heads towards the forest to hide from his blowpipes steggy. in the magic phase i get another the beast cowers dispelled but luckily he rolls a 2 trying to dispell the book of arkhan and i get to macabrepult my ghouls against his razordons. another vanhels goes the way of the dispell scroll but the second again hits home (his dispell rolls were terrible) so the razordons get double charged by the right varghulf and the ghouls. a gaze of nagash on the skinks cause them to panic. he rolls for leadership and throws 6,6,5 bye bye skinks! they run off the board! in combat the right varghulf and ghouls win combat against the razordons. who fail their break test and run for the hills. the ghouls catch the razordons and overrun into the stegadons (2 of them). the varghulf tries to help but doesnt make the combat rolling a measily 5 on pursuit. with that done i end my turn.

LM 3rd turn:

he charges the third stegadon into the ghoul units flank while the fourth is on the left without LoS on my ghouls or varghulf. with just his stegadons he moves to magic and goes for the ray powers on the engines. he simply blasts half my ghoul unit to smithereens and wounds the varghulf on the right. his reroll spells work but he forgets to use them and with there being no shooting he moves on to combat. in combat my ghouls are utterly obliterated by the impact hits of the third stegadon and only my vampire manages to take out the skink priest on one of the engines before the entire unit crumbles. he passes turn.

VC 3rd turn:

i charge the left stegadon with my left varghulf and the flanking stegadon blocks line of sight on the rest so my right varghulf deems it save to charge that. I move my generals ghoul unit and right ghoul unit closer to the steggys to hope to get some kills in and earn some VP. in the magic phase i finally get a the beast cowers off on the stegadon that was charged by the right varghulf and i throw a the bears anger on my general. vanhels are dispelled and we move to combat. the left varghulf tears up the skink priest by dealing 2 wounds the steggy draws combat after it does a wound back. the right varghulf does much better as it wins combat despite the wound it gets and another break test is failed! 6,5,5 roll does him in and i overrun into the next steggy. after this combat is done and we move to his 4th turn.

LM 4th turn:

he charges the remaining stegadon with the chief into the right varghulf to help the steggy being charged there. magic is none existent with 3 of his priests laying dead and there is no shooting. in combat he obliterates my right varghulf with the impact hits and still has 2 steggys... not good. the left stegadon almost kills my varghulf but with one wound remaining i beat up on his crew and he fails another break test. (the guy had no luck on em at all) the varghulf overruns but doesnt get close enough to get his other steggys.

VC 4th turn:

my generals unit charges one of his stegadons minus priest and the varghulf joins him. I try to heal some wounds back on my varghulf but fail (a lot of ones there people) and i cast the beast cowers on the chiefs steggy to keep it where it is and throw a bears anger on my general. in combat my general beats up on the skink crew and the varghulf fails to wound the stegadon. he strikes back and destroys my varghulf. he loses combat but holds.

LM 5th turn:

He doesnt get to do much this turn but shoot with his blowpipes steggy with chief (the beast cowers only mentions attack, says nothing about shoot...) he close to whipes out the ghouls in my right unit and in combat my general finally whipes out the stegadon single handedly with his 7 S7 attacks booyah!

VC 5th turn:

i charge the right unit into his skink chiefs stegadon and move my general out to get a vanhels off on him my general tries another the beast cowers but miscasts....NOT AGAIN! he does throw another 7 and shrugs off the hit. in combat his stegadon whipes out some ghouls leaving but 3 left in the unit i pass turn.

LM 6th turn:

in his magic phase he dispells my the bears anger. he goes to combat and puts 2 wounds on my corpse cart. i kill his crew. he holds.

VC 6th turn:

my general joins the fight and fails to get the bears anger on himself again in the magic phase with it being dispelled (used just 2 dice as i was afraid of miscast nr 3.) in combat i succeeded in killing his chief with my general but i didnt get half points for the stegadon putting just 2 wounds on it...

with this, the battle is over. We count up victory points and im ahead by 438 points. unlucky enough the VP count is different at this tournament than it normally is and so im looking at a solid draw. it did the game justice as me and my opponent really liked playing each other and it was touch and go for us both with very exciting things happening.

post game thoughts: WOW! lizardmen are tough yet not overpowered and really fun to play against! especially when played by a nice guy like i played against. playing a army i knew nothing about apparently means i draw most of the time :) mweh fine by me! :D

EvC
01-04-2009, 12:11
Wow, great battle! That Lizardmen list really suffered for no BSB, but the Bear's Anger on your Lord- fantastic move. You deserved a win!

Gharof von Carstein
01-04-2009, 13:06
in hindsight i would have double charged the left skink unit hoping to get both my black knights and varghulf in his flank. those black knights would have made the job a lot easier especially with killing blow and all. my last battle report of the day will be followed by a new 2k list seeing as iv signed up for a new tournament in just 2 weeks time. this time in the beautifull city of antwerp for war of the beard.

game 3 vs daemons.

i could write up a nice big report but basically it spanned 3 turns at the max.

my opponents cheese uhh list was this:

bloodthirster
bsb daemonette on seeker

daemonettes on seekers x5
pink horrors x10
pink horrors x10
daemonettes x 10
screamers x6

flamers x6 with pyrocaster
flamers x6 with pyrocaster

turn 1 went to him and he ran up his seekers along with his bloodthirster. he used sirens song on my generals unit and charged the bloodthirster in the turn after that.

i could do absolutly nothing to help my general. I chose lore of light and rolled 3 dice for cleansing flare, result; 1,2,3, he passed all ward saves on his seekers.

needless to say my varghuls arrived too late to help and my general was killed in turn 2, crumbles: my black knights, corpse cart and a lot of ghouls. in my turn 2 i double charged his bloodthirster with both varghulfs hoping to kill the big threat and than go hunting for some easy VP. it wasnt to be as the bloodthirster only got 2 wounds (he was soooo lucky with his ward saves) and than continued to slaughter both varghulfs. after some more unlucky crumble rolls i could do nothing but concede... i lost 2409 to zero points and still made 14th place overall of the 30 people there. it placed me 11th on the ranking of the netherlands the daemon player i faced is the current nr 1... this guy made zero tactical mistakes but used a cheap and cheesy army to get there... with a little bit more luck i probably would have been able to blow his bloodthirster away with a considerable amount of wounds on it and the seeker BSB unit with cleansing flare. it regretabbly was not to be.

taking this in perspective i had to make a 2k list for war of the beard.

i came up with this list:

Vampire lord
-Master of the black arts
-forbidden lore
-summon ghouls
-crown of the damned
-flayed hauberk,
-+magic level
= 415p

vampire
-dark acolyte
-summon ghouls
-black periapt
= 160p

vampire
-dark acolyte
-book of arkhan
= 185

necromancer
-extra spell (vanhels,raise dead)
-sceptre de noirot
-corpse cart
= 170p

Ghouls + Ghast x 10 = 88p

Black knights x7
-bannerwearer
-standard of strigoi
-barding
= 247p

Varghulf = 175p
Varghulf = 175p

= 1999p

the corpse carts served me well but just one with a necro on it should really be enough to handle the ASF bonus. the balefire was nice but most armies arent really scathed by it and with 7 possibly 8 DD i dont really need their effects. id rather take instant zombie tarpit for 25 points while having more cheap strike forces in the form of ghouls. this list has already been submitted as im confident it will work.

onwards to more adventures! thx for reading all!

YTY
01-04-2009, 13:21
Lol. Siren song + Thirster = autowin to the demons against VC. Tough luck.

Gharof von Carstein
01-04-2009, 13:28
it does, not only does it work it works better. we dont get to flee so if we can make the charge we have to....

Malorian
01-04-2009, 13:36
I really think it's silly that that spell works on ItP units.

I still think it's debatable if you can decide to flee. Undead are ItP and can't flee from a charge, but this spell is different and is basically giving you two options which has nothing to do with you being charged.

But I'm probably just being overly hopeful ;)

Gharof von Carstein
01-04-2009, 13:44
its in the daemons FAQ actually mal. the GW declares that the song enthralls the undead into charging forward. i have no idea what kind of bull that is but if they say its so we can disagree but it will be fruitless. anyway, next time ill know what to expect and ill be ready. my general will be placed way back in a bunker unit while the strike forces will move as quickly towards his seekers as possible. not to mention taking lore of light was not a wise choice. i think it would be better to take something that could enhance the battle prowess of my vampires than to try and get some lucky shots in with 2 spells a turn. wonder if lore of fire isnt a better choice to try and shoot them down? or lore of the beasts to try and toss a hunters spear on his bloodthirster.

anyway what do you think of my second list?

Malorian
01-04-2009, 13:51
Really? :wtf: :rolleyes: Well nevermind that... *hope crushed*

Don't bother trying to spear the thirster, just pile loads of zombies on him. Fire might be nice if he is all nurgle.

Second list looks fine.

selone
01-04-2009, 14:10
The silly thing is the dwarfs rune of challenge doesn't work on ItP units yet does pretty much exactly the same thing.

EvC
01-04-2009, 22:15
Yeah, but that's not Daemons, Daemons get the whole shebang.

Anyway, if you want to become a top 10 player, you should really expect stuff like Siren Song from opponents. It's pretty easily countered to an extent- keep your Lord bunkered up behind the main lines. But a cheesed-out Bloodthirster army is always hard to deal with- last time I faced one in a tournament I knew to expect ALL the tricks, but still couldn't stop it. Course, he cheated as well, but that's (some) Daemon players for you, win at all cost...

SevenSins
02-04-2009, 07:25
well demons are demons I suppose. The lizard fight was great, and sounded like good fun, nothing like a vamp lord with bears anger (except perhaps a bloodthirster with bears anger? ;) )
well done all in all, and please do reps of the next tourney as well

Gharof von Carstein
02-04-2009, 07:37
iv seen some of the entries for the war of the beard. loads of tomb kings, and lizardmen coming my way. those are really fun battle to have and with more ghouls, no wraiths and plenty of deadly varghulfs im sure ill be able to kick some butt! this time i wont forget my camera :S