PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it amazing?

Xandros
30-03-2009, 12:53
This is something I've been wondering about. A lot. Because it's unreal.The vast majority of Warseers can spell Tzeentch perfectly. Every single time. Yet these same people can't spell "definitely", or contract "they are". It boggles the mind and probably tears at the fabric of reality as well. Like a singularity.

Count de Monet
30-03-2009, 12:57
You should avoid those sentence fragments. ;)

SPYDER68
30-03-2009, 12:59
k ?

Or..

If you mispell Tzeentch... or Khorne... people will correct you..

if you mispel / typing fast and mispel / mistype something else.. its ignored and no one cares..

ehlijen
30-03-2009, 13:00
I propose that that is because no-one actually knows how to spell tzeentch and double checks it everytime before they post. That is not the case with all the other typoes that never get noticed.

PaddyF
30-03-2009, 13:02
He just changes his name every time someone spells it right.

Neknoh
30-03-2009, 13:14
What must be remembered is that far from everyone spells Tzeentch or Slaanesh right, neither is Khorne or Cavalry spellt properly at all times, maybe more than some other, longer, more complicated english words... but you know, there are a LOT of non-native english speakers on here, I am one of them.

So what if I can't spell one hundred procent proper english at all times, you still realise that definately is the same as definitly etc.

galahad67
30-03-2009, 13:23
The game specific terms are proxies for game knowledge, are therefore somewhat important for posters to show their capacity to comment on a topic, and get reviewed for accuracy by a significant number of posters.

Basic communication skills in english are not viewed as having the same direct connection to expertise or knowldge of a subject area, are therefore of less critical import, and do not require review prior to posting.

Translation:

Kids/young adults care somewhat about the game terms and either do not care or do not even know about english communication.

...and then there is the tragedy that is the use of text language in posts...

...of course - none of this applies to posters whose main language of communication is not english. Far be it from me to heap any derision on those individuals given my limited abilites in languages other than english.

Xelloss
30-03-2009, 14:01
...of course - none of this applies to posters whose main language of communication is not english. Far be it from me to heap any derision on those individuals given my limited abilites in languages other than english.

Don't worry, looking how they write in their native language, some of them can hardly object to this XD. They even confuse words that are not prononced the same ! (for exemple in french : parlez/parler/parlé and parlais?!?)

Griefbringer
30-03-2009, 14:22
However, for every poster that manages to spell Tzeentch correctly, there are ten others posting about their brand new Slannesh-worshipping Emporers Children Choas army, complete with hoards of cultists, daemon calvary, looted sentinals and Lemon Russes, plus a corrupted rouge trader.

Urza
30-03-2009, 14:26
And about a bazillion Dark / Blood Angles :D

the1stpip
30-03-2009, 14:28
Or maybe, Tzeentch is spelt Tzeentch, no matter what language you use, as there is no direct translation of the word.

Lordmonkey
30-03-2009, 14:30
Misspell definitely and you have the wrath of "t3h int4rn3t W4rri0rz!" to answer to. Spell Tzeentch incorrectly and you face eternal damnation courtesy of the infernal powers.

sigur
30-03-2009, 14:43
The game specific terms are proxies for game knowledge, are therefore somewhat important for posters to show their capacity to comment on a topic, and get reviewed for accuracy by a significant number of posters.

The amusing thing is that all this is nullified if they make themselves look like dribbling Snotlings by spelling Tzeentch right but misspelling most other words. Profiency with the game terms isn't really worth much if you don't seem to be proficient with the most basic means of communication.

if you mispel / typing fast and mispel / mistype something else.. its ignored and no one cares..

Not really. It depends on the case at hand. If there is someone rampantly ignoring the forums rule of using proper English, the user will be reported. If he/she is writing every posting in a haste which leads to many typos, the user will be reported. Always typing in a hasty/ sloppy way will also make you look like you don't really care. Despite the number of users on Warseer, people will notice that and will get an impression of the post appropriate to his/her posting style.

The_Outsider
30-03-2009, 14:55
In a post I once made a single typo, because of said post I was banned for a week.

True story*.

*When I say true, I actually mean false.

Chaos and Evil
30-03-2009, 14:58
k ?

That should be : " It's ignored "

I care :rolleyes:

EldarWolf
30-03-2009, 15:21
However, for every poster that manages to spell Tzeentch correctly, there are ten others posting about their brand new Slannesh-worshipping Emporers Children Choas army, complete with hoards of cultists, daemon calvary, looted sentinals and Lemon Russes, plus a corrupted rouge trader.

If it were possible to win the internet, then you would have done so with this post, I salute you!

Laser guided fanatic
30-03-2009, 15:29
Tis cuz ter i3 noez sp311 checkard 0n da int3rn3t

Bergioyn
30-03-2009, 15:32
I don't usually mind typos but the Heretical messages cocerning "emporer" really bug me. The Peasants are mocking their Lord's Divine Name! It should not go unpunished!

sydbridges
30-03-2009, 15:34

Sadly, there *is* a spell checker for the internet. You can download the IE version of the plug-in by clicking on the button that looks like a spell checker button (it has the characters "ABC" with a checkmark below that) when you're writing a post on this forum.

Laser guided fanatic
30-03-2009, 15:35
Sadly, there *is* a spell checker for the internet. You can download the IE version of the plug-in by clicking on the button that looks like a spell checker button (it has the characters "ABC" with a checkmark below that) when you're writing a post on this forum.

Then there is no excuse!

Gdolkin
30-03-2009, 15:36
Hear hear, hear hear.. I've been accused of elitism for raising this issue, but here's a thread where I can make this point: Language is important; spelling and grammar are important. If you want to be taken seriously and treated as an adult, make the effort to communicate like one. Obviously ESL members are entitled to a bit more leeway, but the same principle applies as to English-speaking dyslexics or anyone else with an 'excuse': If you know and acknowledge that your English is inadequate, make more effort to check it over. "You all got what I meant, so who cares?" is just not good enough. Cheers!

tsutek
30-03-2009, 15:54
I'm only concerned about everyone abusing the word "too" - It's "too", not "to"!!

One day i'll read "one guard post to many" and my mind will splinter. Heck there's even T-shirts using "to", please make it stop.... please!

Lord Damocles
30-03-2009, 15:56
It's no more amazing than arguments in the background forum being based on half remembered stories the smelly guy on the night bus once told you, rather than actual background material...

Laser guided fanatic
30-03-2009, 15:58
It's no more amazing than arguements in the background forum being based on half remembered stories the smelly guy on the night bus once told you, rather than actual background material...

I think it's more amazing that people actually discuss the stuff. People will be reading it at university next.

sliganian
30-03-2009, 16:19
And about a bazillion Dark / Blood Angles :D

Are those the same Dark Angles and Blood Angles that are pursuing the Rouge Traders who are helping the Eldars? ;)

Thud
30-03-2009, 16:27
I'm only concerned about everyone abusing the word "too" - It's "too", not "to"!!

One day i'll read "one guard post to many" and my mind will splinter. Heck there's even T-shirts using "to", please make it stop.... please!

Too be or not too be? ;)

As for people who cannot spell, well, I just assume they are idiots and ignore them. :)

Noserenda
30-03-2009, 18:27
Dont forget there's two versions of English being used by members on the boards too...

Damn Colonials! :p

LordofWar1986
30-03-2009, 18:34
Damn Colonials! :p

Pssh...go away and drink your tea you Brit! :p ;)

Laser guided fanatic
30-03-2009, 18:59
Pssh...go away and drink your tea you Brit! :p ;)

I love the irony in that post.

But really the only major difference between american-english and english is that in english you spell things right and don't use words from the 17th century.

Tzeentch Loyalist
30-03-2009, 19:04
So join now, 'cause at the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than just being really, really, really good looking. Right kids?

SPYDER68
30-03-2009, 19:05
There is a myth that most mispelled words on the forums is from typo's.

Laser guided fanatic
30-03-2009, 19:09
The same goes for apostrophe abuse.

MadJackMcJack
30-03-2009, 19:18
I find myself overwhelmed with apathy on this issue.

IJW
30-03-2009, 19:23
Having just got back from a weekend photographing entries in a typographic competition, this is a very timely thread...

The scary bit is the number of presumably unintentional typos in the thread, such as 'typoes'. ;)

P.S. Safari (at least the Mac version, presumably also the Windows version) will let you turn on 'Check spelling while typing' for all text boxes. :)

AbyssRaven
30-03-2009, 19:27
Then there is no excuse!

English or American English, American English has some variance.

THERE IS STILL AN EXCUSE

Bingo the Fun Monkey
30-03-2009, 19:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP7uti0PDw

Not really relevant, but this thread made me think of it.

The_Outsider
30-03-2009, 20:23
English or American English, American English has some variance.

THERE IS STILL AN EXCUSE

Normally I claim that american english is a bastard language, but A) that would be hypocritical and B ) it pisses off pretentious americans who are rather particular about spelling and grammar being 100% correct.

Moral of the story: as long a post is fairly close to correct english (grammar and spelling wise) then do not dismantle all the faults in it - not everyone has english as a first lange nor does everyone that does speak english as a first language speak/write it perfectly.

P.S Capital letters are for chumps.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
30-03-2009, 20:28
Back to Tzeentch, how do you pronounce, I, and many of my friends pronounce it: Zen-eech, yet some pronouce it:T-zinch, which one is it, or is it neither?

isidril93
30-03-2009, 20:34
i guess the main reason is easily applicable (spelt rightly although i'm not really sure what it means).

basically when someone talks to you in 'bad enlish'(or whatever language) you don't correct them but when they mispronounce your name you do...why?...because itis the name of something important

endless
30-03-2009, 21:01
Hear hear, hear hear.. I've been accused of elitism for raising this issue, but here's a thread where I can make this point: Language is important; spelling and grammar are important. If you want to be taken seriously and treated as an adult, make the effort to communicate like one. Obviously ESL members are entitled to a bit more leeway, but the same principle applies as to English-speaking dyslexics or anyone else with an 'excuse': If you know and acknowledge that your English is inadequate, make more effort to check it over. "You all got what I meant, so who cares?" is just not good enough. Cheers!
Please check your punctuation.

not everyone has english as a first lange nor does everyone that does speak english as a first language speak/write it perfectly.
Given your location, are you being ironic?
:chrome:

The_Outsider
30-03-2009, 21:07
Given your location, are you being ironic?
:chrome:

I just suck at typing.

Akuma
30-03-2009, 21:10
Is this realy a place to discuss grammar ?

Sttucker13
30-03-2009, 21:18
Is this realy a place to discuss grammar ?

Is this really the place to discuss anything? Really?

Moriarty
30-03-2009, 22:05
Personally, I blame the education system.

(Ducks)

Grimtuff
30-03-2009, 22:19

Hear hear! I couldn't have put it better myself.

Noserenda
30-03-2009, 23:58
Personally, I blame the education system.

(Ducks)

True, that and the new chaos codex...

:angel:

Dio´Ra
31-03-2009, 00:01
Beware Grammar Nazis be here!

Hicks
31-03-2009, 00:17
Not everyone has english as their first language (I don't) and since I've rarely been unable to understand a post here, I would rather think that it's amazing how people from all around the world can discuss their favorite hobby here.

teanabowlie
31-03-2009, 00:32
You should hear some of the ways people pronunce Tzeentch.

Proper way: 'zeench'

Kids at my old club: 'zeent-ch'

Me when I was 12: 'Zen-tech' (It sounds so cool!)

Thud
31-03-2009, 01:51
Not everyone has english as their first language (I don't) and since I've rarely been unable to understand a post here, I would rather think that it's amazing how people from all around the world can discuss their favorite hobby here.

English is my third language and yet, miraculously, I know that every sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with a full stop, just like in every other language using the Latin alphabet.

Lyinar
31-03-2009, 02:03
Or you could get Google Chrome and have it spell-check things automatically.

But, can all those folk who can spell Tzeentch properly actually pronounce it right?

Hard tz (bitz) long e, n (spleen), hard tch (itch). All combined into one syllable.

sydbridges
31-03-2009, 02:32
Or you could get Google Chrome and have it spell-check things automatically.

But, can all those folk who can spell Tzeentch properly actually pronounce it right?

Hard tz (bitz) long e, n (spleen), hard tch (itch). All combined into one syllable.

Is there really a right way to pronounce it? I mean, it's the name of the lord of change and mutation... you'd think he'd encourage people to pronounce it differently. He might even encourage wars between his followers over the correct pronunciation, making it a matter of vital doctrinal difference.

"We here at the United Followers of Tzeentch believe it's pronounced like this. Those filthy heretics at the Followers of Tzeentch United pronounce it wrong. More so than anyone else, we. hate. them."

Imperialis_Dominatus
31-03-2009, 02:49
you still realise that definately is the same as definitly etc.

And neither of those are actually a word.

This post is bad and you should feel bad. :cries:

I think it's more amazing that people actually discuss the stuff. People will be reading it at university next.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Lyinar
31-03-2009, 02:49
Heh... That's frighteningly close to some of the info i gave in a threat briefing to the players i gave in a Dark Heresy game i'm running (well, will be again, once one of our players gets out of the hospital... thank the Gods he lost the argument with his wife on whether or not to go to the doctor...).

LordofWar1986
31-03-2009, 04:47
I cant believe the number of people around me who pronounce C'tan as "see'tan"...makes me wanna punch them a bunch of times screaming "its pronounced "ka'tan!! ka'tan!! ka'tan!! get it right!!"

see'tan sounds like "see my tan" which isn't very star godly.

Sttucker13
31-03-2009, 06:59
see'tan sounds like "see my tan" which isn't very star godly.

Actually that sounds VERY star-godly.

In this case, he would then eat you.

MajorWesJanson
31-03-2009, 07:16
I pronounce it Sa-Tan, personally. It comes across more sinister that way. Using a hard C sort of makes it sound Orky, for some reason.

chromedog
31-03-2009, 08:02
Hmmph.

England and Amerika. Two countries divided by a common language.

In these days of browsers with built in spellcheckers (IE7 and FF both have it, Safari does as well, and Chrome is also equipped with one.) there is really no excuse for bad use of the King's English (Yes, I know, the Queen is English, too, but it was his language first.).

Hellebore
31-03-2009, 08:43
Eye pheal yoo plase tooo muche emfacis onn speleng, yt'z ahl relhetif.

Having said that, I agree.

Hellebore

Born Again
31-03-2009, 08:56
So what if I can't spell one hundred procent proper english at all times, you still realise that definately is the same as definitly etc.

Like this, you mean :p

Back on topic, as already stated I'm sure it's because people, in their paranoia, look up the word every time they spell it.

I've always pronounced it exactly as it's spelled, "T-zeen-tch", and no-one's corrected me yet, so I'm sticking with it :D

Mannimarco
31-03-2009, 09:44
pronounced tz-ee-nch in warhammer battle march and who knows how to pronounce it better than a chaos sorcerer!

Lord Solar Plexus
31-03-2009, 11:23

Oh. Oh! This is worthy of the highest commendation! Very amusing. Mind if I sig that? :)

Teccala
31-03-2009, 12:19
In french, Tzeen(t)ch is pronounced with the "ee" like in "Plz heelp !" and the (t) isn't pronounced.

Now I'm curious... For German people, "ch" sounds like an "R" in many words... TzeentRR (omg who's that :p), how do German people pronounce it ?

Griefbringer
31-03-2009, 14:03
Oh. Oh! This is worthy of the highest commendation! Very amusing. Mind if I sig that? :)

Just go ahead! Every sig brings me closer to the true immortality!

Eye pheal yoo plase tooo muche emfacis onn speleng, yt'z ahl relhetif.

If ye askz dem mekboyz, dem sezs itz reel importanz dat ye spellz ye glyphik platez guud und propa! Sez ye boyz go 'round like propa Deff Skullz and lootz dem Lemo Rozz battlewagon from dem skumbo humie gitz. Iff dey den spellz out on it a propa glyphik tekst dat sayz it is dem orka wagonz nuw, al' da offa boyz knowz dat an' dem will not be shootin' rokkits at it. But if dem boyz misspellz, ye might end up with glyffs dat says "We iz juz skumbo humies inside" an' den all da loota boyz dat would reada it wouldda shoot ye wagon wiff dem big gunz. And den ye would no have da battlewagon no moo'.

Bunnahabhain
31-03-2009, 14:53
Most posters do at least make a reasonable attempt to use conventional spelling and grammar, and the differences between the assorted dialects of English are not generally significant enough to have any real bearing on the subject.
The rules form is quite another matter, as many rules interpretations depend on the precise way language is used. It would be useful if the rules themselves were written and proofread in that spirit.
I wonder if it would be useful to have a sticky there, containing a good guide to English grammar. It certainly couldn't hurt.

I am something of a language purist, I have to admit. Recently, in a long-running browser game, I took great pleasure in raiding, capturing,demolishing another players entire empire, as they had repeatedly messaged me in 'leet speak, after having been asked to use English....

Chaplain Dionitas
31-03-2009, 15:14
Nice. Wargrammar 21k.

Temprus
31-03-2009, 16:59
"Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my Pea Sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss Steaks I can knot sea."

I am amazed at how many people seem to think that the spell checkers will magically help with these kind of issues since many typos/errors are grammar or punctuation issues.

Hrafn
31-03-2009, 17:24
Having English as a second language myself, I don't mind mispellings or the occasional grammatic slip here and there.

What I do get semi-annoyed about is those posters who seem to be unaware of the concept of punctuation and capital letters. Why? Because it makes posts damn hard to skim/read, especially if intermingled with text speak! Which is an annoyance I suspect is far more pronounced among non-native English speakers, especially if it also include localized slang. The point here being: Punctuation and capital letters is a great facilitator for communication, not the other way around, despite what some people claim. Most languages (all derived from European ones at least) use punctuation and capitals as well, so not having English as a primary language is hardly a good excuse for that.

But then again, I usually skip incomprehensible posts entirely, so it's not too much of an annoyance

(though I must admit that rouge traders (do they use make-up or what :confused:), the chaos god Slannesh and the frog-like Slaan ticks me a little)

sydbridges
31-03-2009, 18:09
It came with my Pea Sea.

I am amazed at how many people seem to think that the spell checkers will magically help with these kind of issues since many typos/errors are grammar or punctuation issues.

It won't magically fix all your issues, but for the people whose posts read like a lolcat caption, it can help.

sliganian
31-03-2009, 18:21
It came with my Pea Sea.

Sorry, WORD will balk at 'chequer'. Not a word.
Change to 'checker' and then your pithy little saying will be fine.

Thud
31-03-2009, 18:54
Sorry, WORD will balk at 'chequer'. Not a word.
Change to 'checker' and then your pithy little saying will be fine.

[Insert amusing comment about North Americans and the difference between British English and American English here]

Laser guided fanatic
31-03-2009, 19:01
[Insert amusing comment about North Americans and the difference between British English and American English here]

British English, is this some strange new language?

sydbridges
31-03-2009, 19:16

According to his location, he's a Canadian, so I imagine he speaks neither of those, opting to instead speak Canadian English.

HK-47
31-03-2009, 19:19
There are many people who simply have problems typing, or don't know every grammar rule in this large and ever changing language. I have dysgraphia and you have no idea how difficult it is for me to post on these forums. I must constantly spell check and reread everything I post to fix my errors, and this pales in comparison to all of the things I have to go through while going school work. Also my grammar is very bad (both English and Spanish), but I guess that just comes from growing up in a poorly funded school district.

You may not notice it but I edited this post three times before posting it.

Laser guided fanatic
31-03-2009, 19:21
There are many people who simply have problems typing, or don't know every grammar rule in this large and ever changing language. I have dysgraphia and you have no idea how difficult it is for me to post on these forums. I must constantly spell check and reread everything I post to fix my errors, and this pales in comparison to all of the things I have to go through while going school work. Also my grammar is very bad (both English and Spanish), but I guess that just comes from growing up in a poorly funded school district.

You may not notice it but I edited this post three times before posting it.

Well I speak English, French and Spanish and apart from millions of irregular verbs Spanish grammar is quite easy.

Nexus Trimean
31-03-2009, 19:21
Studies Have show that the spelling of a word is unimportant to reading and getting meaning from that word. Its what you are saying not the spelling that is more important. Now, that do35nt me4n y0u c4|\| typ3 1L1k3 7hi5. That is Grossly inappropriate to communicating effectively, but the occasional typo can be forgiven. anyone who demands that there be absolutely no spelling and grammar mistakes ought to to go work at a school and enforce that stupid useless policy there instead.

Im the Kind of person who Puts function before form. i don't care if it looks nice at all. just give me something that works. I do however see that someone who wants things pretty and nice could hold a equally valid opposing view point.

Just my 2 cent piece.

Bunnahabhain
31-03-2009, 19:28
British English, is this some strange new language?

Yes, it most certainly is a strange language, and many parts of it are new, for given values of 'many' and 'new'.

British English is the best way of disambiguating between the versions of English spoken in various Anglophone countries, without offending the Scots, Welsh and Irish, by forgetting that Britain=/= England

By the way, you'll find that chequer is a perfectly good word, despite the fact it only normally occurs now as a plural, regardless of it it has a qu or ck in the middle. It's a small fruit borne by an uncommon British woodland tree.

Koryphaus
31-03-2009, 19:43

Tau (now Trout lol) Online has one, so you can check every post before you add it to the thread.

Evilgenius
31-03-2009, 22:09
Tzeentch is easy. Its the people that use 'Turrent' instead of Turret that drive me crazy.

Moriarty
31-03-2009, 22:19
By the way, you'll find that chequer is a perfectly good word, despite the fact it only normally occurs now as a plural, regardless of it it has a qu or ck in the middle. It's a small fruit borne by an uncommon British woodland tree.

You little tease! :-)

Goq Gar
31-03-2009, 22:26
Tzeentch is the spelling translated into english.

The proper spelling is probably something like AAAASHKLAALSPJFFFKOORKAHAADAGAD, but pronounced with blood and bile. And stabbing. My god the stabbing.

Makiaveli
31-03-2009, 22:37
I have but one question. Where is this FF spell checker? I had one but it didn't survive the last upgrade....

Other than that, my opinion has been stated. Several times even. One "bad" post doesn't make you a *****. Continuously making lolcat type posts will get you mentally ignored in my book.

Mouldsta
31-03-2009, 22:38
The best are people in shops; Crone Basseracks (?), Submarines, Canadian shock troopers, Obey-don, flamers of Tez Netch, Kevellan Strike and the ever popular Magnius Craglar.

Regarding spelling, I hate this damn keyboard;
If I type at notmal speed it ends up coming out like this because they keys are either too sensitive or don't work properly, which results in me looking like I'm typing gibberisgh

Which translated, should be;
"If I type at normal speed it ends up coming out like this, because the keys are either too sensitive or don't work properly, which results in me looking like I'm typing gibberish"

chromedog
31-03-2009, 23:43
Spellchecker works fine in FF3 (currently running and browsing this site with it).
It should be under extensions, and was probably disabled if it conflicted with FF.
You should be able to get a newer version of it from the FF addons (mine autoupdates itself).

SimonL
01-04-2009, 00:21
Nice. Wargrammar 21k.

You mean 2.1k? :D

Makiaveli
01-04-2009, 01:15
Spellchecker works fine in FF3 (currently running and browsing this site with it).
It should be under extensions, and was probably disabled if it conflicted with FF.
You should be able to get a newer version of it from the FF addons (mine autoupdates itself).

Hmm I had Wordsearch or some such and it isn't compatible with 3.0.8. I tried searching for Spellchecker and got nothing. I will do some digging tho...thanks :)

EDIT:
Ahh, the old addon was conflicting with the new built-in one :) Thanks again :)

MadJackMcJack
01-04-2009, 01:25
Tzeentch is the spelling translated into english.

The proper spelling is probably something like AAAASHKLAALSPJFFFKOORKAHAADAGAD, but pronounced with blood and bile. And stabbing. My god the stabbing.

"You may call me Tzeentch mortal. To pronounce my true name would require you to turn your throat inside out and douse your vocal chords in fine Irish whiskey, before feeding them to an Albanian Mountain Goat."

Laser guided fanatic
01-04-2009, 07:04
The best are people in shops; Crone Basseracks (?), Submarines, Canadian shock troopers, Obey-don, flamers of Tez Netch, Kevellan Strike and the ever popular Magnius Craglar.

Regarding spelling, I hate this damn keyboard;
If I type at notmal speed it ends up coming out like this because they keys are either too sensitive or don't work properly, which results in me looking like I'm typing gibberisgh

Which translated, should be;
"If I type at normal speed it ends up coming out like this, because the keys are either too sensitive or don't work properly, which results in me looking like I'm typing gibberish"

Lol i used to wonder what canadians were doing in the 41st century.

weissengel86
01-04-2009, 07:38
English is my third language and yet, miraculously, I know that every sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with a full stop, just like in every other language using the Latin alphabet.Not quite, lojban doesn't have punctuation marks or even capital letters.

like this:

mi nelci le ninmu .i la ninmu dunda mi cu karce .i mi klama do le karce

Which would appear exactly as above no caps no punctuation marks. Grammar is achieved by "structure" words.

Most natural languages become abused and dumbed down from utilization by the masses. Most of this is sloppy and ambiguous thinking and posting.:)

Lord of ???
01-04-2009, 10:38
Hmm English and which version are we discussing because according to my Word application I can write in.

English: Australia, Belize, Canadian, Caribbean, Hong Kong S.A.R., India, Indonesia, Ireland, Jamaica, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, U.K., U.S. and Zimbabwe.

Just a couple of variations

bora
01-04-2009, 11:50
In french, Tzeen(t)ch is pronounced with the "ee" like in "Plz heelp !" and the (t) isn't pronounced.

Now I'm curious... For German people, "ch" sounds like an "R" in many words... TzeentRR (omg who's that :p), how do German people pronounce it ?

Now that is an interesting question!

"ch" has different pronounciations actually. After the vocals a, o or u it sounds harsher than after i or e. There is no combination of "ch" with a consonant like t.

Maybe this is why players at my local GW have no problem pronouncing Tzeentch exactly the way it is supposed to be. They think English and pronounce it right. If someone without 40k knowledge would listen and had to write the name down in German, it would look like this:

Ziensch.

Now comes the best part, there are actually people by that name in Germany! :D

As for right spelling on forums etc, I think it is easy to say you are annoyed if English is your first language.

I learned English as foreign language, everyone who hears or reads me in business considers me as a native speaker. However on the internet in general, I tend to leave the capitals away, even though I use correct punctuation. I can type much faster that way, nobody ever complained about it, as I use that method consistently. Capitalizing the appropriate letters in this reply post took considerable more time for me and I cannot even explain why.

I also dislike l33tspeak in general and words like "cuz" as they do not even resemble a proper abbreviation like "lol".

peace.

Carkey
18-07-2009, 10:10
Hmm English and which version are we discussing because according to my Word application I can write in.

English: Hong Kong S.A.R., Singapore, U.K., U.S. and Zimbabwe.

Just a couple of variations

I have kindly cut out the variations that are essentially the same as those left in the post. I also left Zimbabwe in because it reminded me of this picture of a Commonwealth committee on democracy headed by the Queen.

On topic, I do prefer correctly punctuated posts as it allows for easy reading and I will also read posts with only a few typos or errors.

Ekranoplan
18-07-2009, 15:36
Proper spelling is only necesary in a professional capacity.