PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Vampire army

WazDak84
30-03-2009, 14:20
I am looking at putting together a 2000 point Vampire army to play the 3 power gamers we have in our shop. Does anyone have a particulary cheesy Vampire list they would be willing to share?

The look on their faces if I had a cheesy army would be priceless.....

garythewargamer
30-03-2009, 16:08
I do not play vampires nor do I owe the army book, yet. I know there are several choices to choose from. You have some awesome lords and your vampires are not weak mages.

Kievien
30-03-2009, 17:32
I'd say to look trough this forum and search the term "Doggy Deathstar"...
It might prove useful to you but I reckon this one requires a little skill and as such is NOT a complete no-brainer.

Grtz. Kiev

CaliforniaGamer
30-03-2009, 17:50
I'd say to look trough this forum and search the term "Doggy Deathstar"...
It might prove useful to you but I reckon this one requires a little skill and as such is NOT a complete no-brainer.

Grtz. Kiev

would agree just having the doggie list and actually winning with it are 2 totally different tasks.

Very different than huck a thirster and bunch of flamers out and declare the win.

SiNNiX
30-03-2009, 17:56
First Post!

Okay, so VC is actually only 1 of 2 armies that I don't play, HOWEVER - the principals of making a solid Vampire Count army are about the same. There are three things you might want to consider when making a solid VC army:

NOTE: The following advice is made under the assumption that you are playing the standard 2,250pt tournament-sized army.

1. Ensure your army is easily resurrectable. There's nothing more aggrivating to somebody playing a VC army than to be tied up in combat with crappy zombies or skellies that just refuse to die (aka. taking a unit of 60 zombies [15x4]) and forcing them into combat, healing them constantly with magic).

2. Have bulky blocking units up front to tie up the enemy. Remember that your units, even the crappy ones, are all Unbreakable. Don't be afraid to use bulky, cheap units as blocking units to tie up the enemy's better units. If you have a giant front line that covers the stretch of the battlefield, the enemy will have to engage those front units, leaving opportunities for your better units (Knights, Black Coaches, Lord on Dragon, etc.) to come from behind your "blockade" and flank the tied-up units.

3. Don't be afraid to take a bonified badass Vampire lord on a zombie dragon. As unorthadox as it may seem, you can fill the rest of your army with cheap bulky Core Units (as described in 2.) and still have room for some of the more sexy units. Keep in mind that there are a number of tactical banners and items that you can choose from to cripple the enemy's chances of victory even further. As far as taking an awesome Vampire on a Dragon, it's important to remember the key rule that any tournament winner can tell you: Most tournament games are won by challenges between characters. Not all, but most. Taking possibly the best melee lords in the game topped off with a dragon that definately won't go down like a wimp is never a bad idea. This also makes it easier for you to quickly spread your General's leadership throughout your army if need be (considering he flies), which can, at times, make or break a VC army.

Now keep in mind that I don't play Vampire Counts and I never have, but I've been around the block a few times in tournaments all over Texas and Colorado and my brother's VC tourny army is built on those three principles and he's won every tournament he's ever been in (except the ones that I'm in, of course). :p

jax40kplyr1
30-03-2009, 18:23
Lets see - cheesy Vampire list. Here's a sample (some small changes probably needed since I don't have my book in front of me):
1. Vampire Lord, Nightmare, LvL 3, Blood drinker, Immune Killing blow armor, 4+ ward, red fury, infinite hatred, walking death
2. Vampire, Dreadknight, Book of Arkhan, Red Fury
3. Vampire, Master of Black Arts, Helm of Commandmant
4. Wight Lord, Skeletal Steed w/barding, BSB, Drakonhoff Banner, GW
5. (3) units of 20 zombies
6. (10) Black Knights, full command, Banner of Barrows
7. (9) Black Knights, full command, Strigos Banner

Its really an annoying list to play against - only thing that really hurts it is Spirit of the Forge or Cleansing Flare. Otherwise - the general + BSB go in the big unit of knights, the additional mounted vampire goes in the other unit. The solo vampire follows behind - gives units his WS6 - replaces knights that fall. Magic pretty much concentrates on IoN and Vanhel's if you get it. Not a whole lot of units can stand against that many cavalry charging in, hitting on 2s and wounding on 2s. I've seen many folks cry the "extreme cheese" on that list.

WazDak84
30-03-2009, 18:38
Would you say the doggy deathwing is the best VC Tournament list?

jax40kplyr1
30-03-2009, 18:47
Its definatley not going to win you any comp points, but can do really well in eliminating the enemy armies. At 2000 points, he can't afford to lose that many units.
I've watched this army decimate opponents (note- if you move up to 2250 points, add in a vargulf or black coach) pretty badly. If the tournament is pitched battle scenarios or objectives, consider taking the raise dead spell as well. Nothing as frustrating as 2 units of zombies popping up on the last turn to claim objectives, table quarters, etc.

WazDak84
30-03-2009, 18:52
It would be used at this years GT?? Would that list be competitive there?

Also what do you mean by comp points?

jax40kplyr1
30-03-2009, 19:30
It would be competitive - just keep in mind your going to see a preponderence of Daemons (kind of a pain since you can't break them). Lizards, particulary Slann and EOTG heavy lists, can also cause you some problems with strong magic + burning alignment. Not exactly sure what a majority of folks will be running, but you should be able to do well with that list.

WazDak84
30-03-2009, 19:32
Am I right in thinking we are talking about the deathwing list are'nt we?

jax40kplyr1
30-03-2009, 19:40
That's correct.

WazDak84
30-03-2009, 19:44
i guess the main thing i need to worry about is that its a one hit wonder.... if it goes thats it.
Was thinking of running something like this...

Vamp Lord
lvl 3
Frost Blade
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Beguile
Nightmare

Vampire
Avatar of Death (Heavy Armor and GW)
2x Dispel Scroll
Dark Acolyte
Nightmare

Vampire
Balefire Spike
Aura of Dark Majesty
Staff of Sorcery
Nightmare

Wight King BSB
Lance
Shield
Drakenhoff Banner
Skeletal Steed

20 Zombies
20 Zombies
20 Zombies

18 Dire wolves with Doomwolf

7 Cairn Wraiths with Banshee

5 Blood Knights with Hatred Banner

jax40kplyr1
30-03-2009, 20:02
Mmmmm couple of problems:
1. Frostblade is way overpriced and only worth it if your going big model hunting. Beguile isn't bad, but wasted when you reroll anyways due to infinite hatred.
2. Running avatar of death is actually worse than dread knight if you are going mounted - might as well get a better save and equipment with dread knight.
3. Your balefire spike vampire is naked on the nightmare - needs some type of armor.
4. 18 Direwolves is a pretty big fast cav unit to be running around - plus they don't get rank bonuses. You'll only be able to get so many into combat so all the extra might be a points waste.
5. The Banshee is a liability - she can be challenged and hardly ever makes her points back. Would be better to just run 8 wraiths.
6. Blood Knights - good on you if they work, but frenzy is a double edged sword. All of the ones that I've seen run get led away on bad charges - plus they require a seperate IoN to replace.
Its pretty hard to take down 10 Black Knights, coupled with regen. The only thing that I can think of is Spirit of the Forge and Cleansing Flare. The hidden trick with running the death unit of VC Lord, Wight BSB and 10 Black Knights from that list I showed was that you are looking at +1 rank, +1 standard, +1 BSB, +1 Walking Death, +1 outnumber, plus whatever you kill. You can replace your BK pretty quickly with the blooddrinker, coupled with IoN. It's also a points denial unit as well, same as with any deathstar list running around too.

CaliforniaGamer
30-03-2009, 20:41
why is beguile wasted with infinited hatred? one is rerolling hits while the other is rerolling wounds, if anything that is synergy, not waste.

hatred+dreadlance is waste.

Ravenousone2
30-03-2009, 21:26
i have a really solid 2250 army for VC i've been running as of late.Just beat the best player in my shops chaos army by a 1781 point massacre. not really feasible for 2000 though so ummmmm forget i said anything

Ravenousone2
30-03-2009, 21:53
maybe something like

Count Mannfred with Book of Arkhan and skull staff(in Blood Knights)

Vampire BSB with the Drakenhof banner and dread knight and infinite hatred(in Blood Knights)

Vampire with dark acolyte and Summon ghouls w/ Flayed Hauberk and Black periapt(in Ghouls)

Vampire with Dark acolyte and lord of the dead w/ Walachs Bloody Haub and Biting Blade.(in the GG)

10x Crypt ghouls w/ Ghast

10x Skeleton Warriors w/ Champion

10x Skeleton warriors w/ champion

11x Graveguard w/ champion

4x Blood Knights w/ Champion and SB with the Flag of blood keep as banner.

Totals 1998 points.

ZombieMans
31-03-2009, 04:44
What is this doggywing thing people keep mentioning?

Dr.Mercury
31-03-2009, 12:19
What armies do the 3 power gamers at your local shop play?

WazDak84
31-03-2009, 13:45
Mainly Daemons and Dwarves.

WarlockOMork
31-03-2009, 18:17
Inmo Go as much magic as possible take any and all bounds as well as extra dice items you can get.
and give all vamps the Master of the Black (+2 dice) arts first and foremost and in case of lords Dark accolyte second (+1 level) fill with a +to InvoN talent.

make one of the hero vamps also the battle standard and give him the Draken hoff banner.

place said important vamps in units that will stay back, or tough units like Grave Gaurd.

add some additional units to taste (you can never go wrong with them doggies)

Add lots of InvoN and cast your army too immortality or tripple or so its size.

as far as i know that is the basics of OP vamps .

CaliforniaGamer
31-03-2009, 19:20
What is this doggywing thing people keep mentioning?

Doggie deathstar
Synopsis: Lots of dogs with all 4 characters including Fighty lord with red fury, thralls with extra spell level and toys including book of arkhan, wight king with drak. All unbarded steeds, retaining fast cav.
Charge 16". Strike radius of 24" with Danse.

rest of army is less important and typically I believe is used to simply prevent the DS from getting flank/rear charged.

DS does all the killy.

Inventor was Minus67 on warseer (and buddy), so search his posts for the actual strat musings (as opposed to listening to 2nd hand and theoryhammer of it).