PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Rulebook

Eternus
30-03-2009, 16:20
Ok, so I've been playing GW games for years, and am slowly (very slowly), being tempted into trying out the Lord Of The Rings. Just a question regarding the big rulebook.

Does the rulebook contain army lists and rules for each of the various armies, or do you have to purchase a separate book, like you do with Army Books and Codices for Fantasy and 40K?

Having read the sticky at the top of the section, what I mean is, I know that the profiles are included in the Rule Book, but do you have full army lists that allow you to choose a force, with points etc?

Thanks in advance, though be warned, I will have more questions.

Marauder
30-03-2009, 16:42
As of April 4th there will be two lord of the rings games. The Strategy Battle Game (SBG) and War of the Ring (WotR).

SBG has profiles, but I believe (somone correct me if I'm wrong) you'll want a copy of Legions of Middle Earth for the army lists.

WotR has all the profiles and army lists in it - no other supplements yet.

Do you know which game you are interested in?

Eternus
30-03-2009, 16:45
Thanks pal. Well at least I'll only have to buy one army list book to go with the Rule Book, rather than one for each army.

The Muster of Rohan
30-03-2009, 18:02
That depends on the army you want, I'm afraid.

The big "One Rulebook" contains profiles for all models available up to the time it was released, so if you want to use stuff that's come out in the last 3-4 years, you'll need sourcebooks as well.

Legions of Middle Earth contains army lists to cover all the armies, but no rules or profiles, so you'll potentially still need sourcebooks or journey books.

For example, say you want a Rohan army. Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Gamling, Merry, Captains, Warriors, Riders and Royal Guard are in the One Rulebook. Three armly lists for them are in LoME. These army lists, however, contain other heroes that are in other publications - such as Erkenbrand or Theodred (The Two Towers journey book) or Eorl the Young (A Shadow In The East sourcebook), and even some (Helm Hammerhand) who, as yet, have no published rules or models - just a points cost in LoME. Complicated? Well, yes.

The moral of the story? If you have a vague idea of what you might be interested in collecting, ask about it on here, and you'll get excellent advice from various folks about what publications, etc, you'll need.

RohanCaptain
30-03-2009, 18:37
If you wanna play SBG, I"d suggest getting the "one rulebook" (or the small Mines of Moria one), and the "legions of middle earth" book.

the "one rulebook" has some profiles, and you can get the rest from the GW website, .pdf style.

"legions of middle earth" breaks down who can ally with what, and what the rules are as far as putting armies together. It doesn't give you any stats, other than point costs. It also has the more commonly used scenarios on tournaments.

You can get additional books if you'd like. For instance, if you wanted to do a Hobbit army, you could get the "Scouring of the shire" book, and it breaks down each model, gives ya some scenarios, hobby tips on how to make scenery (Hobbit holes). However, you don't need these, but they're alot of fun, really cool books, and usually not that expensive.

Like THE MUSTER OF ROHAN said, post what you're interested in, and peeps here will guide ya in the right direction.

Welcome to LOTR, it's a blast to play, collect, and get into.

darkstar
30-03-2009, 19:15
I wouldn't recommend getting the legions book. I love SBG, but I think the legions book is a waste of time.

Crisis_Core
30-03-2009, 22:14
I wouldn't recommend getting the legions book. I love SBG, but I think the legions book is a waste of time.

Only get Legions if your planning on point-match driven tournament play. If your digging the Skirmish system, then just get earlier supplements. Fellowship of the Ring Journey book is a good example of this.

lorelorn
31-03-2009, 09:08
I'd recommend the Legions of Middle Earth and either the big book or the Mines of Moria box, either will kit you out with a set of the rules. After that, you'll find profiles and special rules from all the supplements posted on the GW website, free for use. No need to buy multiple supplements if you don't want to.

Eternus
31-03-2009, 10:45
Well I got given a box full of Isenguard stuff which I've been told comes to around 800 points, and includes 9 Berzerkers, 10 Hand Weapon and Shield Urukhai, 10 with Pikes, 2 Orc Bowmen, 4 with Spears and 4 with 2 handed weapons I think, but is lacking both cavalry ( I have just 4 Warg Riders) and monsters, plus some hero models. I just want to top these off with the stuff mentioned that's missing. I also want to go a Rohan list, as I already have the mounted Theoden model and like the natural conflict between Isenguard and Rohan.

What books do I need to be able to play just the Skirmish game (at least for now) with these two forces? I plan on doing lots of planning, if you know what I mean, as I'm not going to be investing cash in this venture till later in the year, so I want to get sorted with all the stuff I will need when the time comes.

I was going to get a single box of Rohirrim on foot, about 12 Riders, plus another 6 elite Riders, whatever they are called, and the relevant command models and bits and pieces to finish them off, but these 24 on foot and 18 mounted will make the bulk of the force - is this the kind of thing I need to be aiming for?

The Muster of Rohan
31-03-2009, 12:59
All you need then is the One Rulebook. You can get Legions of Middle Earth for the army list if you want, but it's by no means necessary. The One Rulebook contains the profiles and points values for all the models you list.

The only major Isengard model that isn't in the ORB is the Isengard Troll, which is in The Two Towers journey book. That publication also contains several extra Rohan heroes, along with additional Hero and warrior types for Isengard, so may be a sound investment if, in the future, you continue to build those forces.

Eternus
31-03-2009, 13:16
Cool. I think I'll base my planned collections around that then - If I can get the Rule Book over the next few months, the Wife Willing, then I can plan out what models I want to get at Christmas and get the lot in one hit.

Here's hoping!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
31-03-2009, 18:40
So the stats arent included in the uber rulebook for 60 bucks? Thats disappointing. I havent bough anything lotr in years and I am sure that my RotK rulebook is quite outdated. I dont want to buy another book :(

lorelorn
01-04-2009, 09:11
Some of the stats are there, though not all of them. Those that aren't are avaialble free from the GW website, along with any special rules.

Marauder
01-04-2009, 16:02
So the stats arent included in the uber rulebook for 60 bucks? Thats disappointing. I havent bough anything lotr in years and I am sure that my RotK rulebook is quite outdated. I dont want to buy another book :(

Just get War of the Ring then - it has all the stats (for the new game) ;)