PDA

View Full Version : Rohan Warhost for WotR

Shuttler
30-03-2009, 16:38
I'm looking to start a brand new army for War of the Ring and tempted to pick up the Rohan Warhost clicky (https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1690047&rootCatGameStyle=)

Anyone seen the new rules have any idea on the points value of this and what I should bolster the army with?

I love the look of the Rohan so would probably go with them anyway, just curious if anyone else is tempted with a Rohan WotR force?

Odin
30-03-2009, 21:37
I'm definitely tempted to collect a Rohan army for WotR, but I wouldn't buy the battlehost - it's got 48 infantry in it. I'd go for a pure cavalry force - that's what Rohan is all about.

Garoth
30-03-2009, 22:04
My regular WOTR opponent (as regular as one can be after two 1000 pts games and third one planned) plays Rohan, so I have seen them in action.

As he already has Rohan, I won't be concentrating on them, perhaps I'll some day try them as allies for my Gondor force. Though I think that most of my ally allowance will go to Gandalf in the future.

Rohan Warhost contains models for 515 point force for WOTR. Basic infantry and cavalry are quite cheap in WOTR. Command models (captains, banners etc) can cost as much or even more than the formation they are bought for (depends on the formation size though).

First things you want to add are those Command models. You can save quite a lot on money by converting those out of the plastic ones, but on the other hand some of the metal models are quite good looking. Instead of regular captains I would recommend checking out what Elfhelm and Grimbold have to offer to you...

After that you might want to pick up couple more Epic heroes, Eomer would be my first choice, followed by Erkenbrand or Theodred for example.

If you still have points to spare, then I would look into some elite cavalry units (either Sons of Eorl, Royal Knights or Outriders).

Rohan army does not have that many choices (still more than in SBG though), but good thing is that all of the units seem to be useful in they own way.

EDIT:
I'm definitely tempted to collect a Rohan army for WotR, but I wouldn't buy the battlehost - it's got 48 infantry in it. I'd go for a pure cavalry force - that's what Rohan is all about.

I would not drop out infantry altogether, as cavalry has some limitations in the game. Cavalry will struggle in taking out units in Defensible terrain (like woods, ruins or buildings). Its not impossible to do with cavalry, but infantry will do the job a lot better.

Also it is impossible for cavalry unit to pick up Seize the Price scenario objective markers if those are in buildings or ruins (they can however take the objective from enemy unit in such terrain feature by winning a round of combat, but will have difficulties in doing so as stated above). Furthermore the High Ground scenario seems to favour infantry a bit (I haven't tried it out yet though), but is by no means impossible for full cavalry force to win.

So infantry, even the lowly Militia that Rohan can muster, will come handy in the game. You might not want to use all of those 48 models, but most likely some of them at least. On the other hand, set does not save you any money as far as I can tell, so it might be better buy things individually to get precisely what you want.

Throngil
30-03-2009, 22:05
Pure cavalry is interesting to do, but I'd actually say go with some infantry and maintain a balance. It allows you somewhat of a wound sponge or something to tie a unit up whilst your cav hit the flanks or rear. Pure cav armies will be outnumbered quite easily, they do have a lot of strength if they get the charge but they can get bogged down easily just by lots of people being thrown at them.

Nu Fenix
30-03-2009, 22:15
Plus, you have the risk of what to do against pike formations? With no benefit for the charge, and numbers against you, I can see it going badly.

Especially when Easterlings are still allowed to hold a shield with their pikes :)

Garoth
30-03-2009, 22:49
Pikes only deny charge bonus when charged from the front, so flank-charging pike blocks with cavarly will do the job just fine. If you can get to the flank that is...

Nu Fenix
30-03-2009, 22:51
If they go for full line formation, which is doable depending on the size game and table/terrain, the only way they should expose a flank is from running away, which hopefully won't happen. *Crosses fingers*

30-03-2009, 23:35

I second that sentiment, but nod my head to the poster above who calls out the weakness of no infantry in a stand alone (no allies) list.

For that reason, I plan to use them as my all cav allies fin a Gondor list, in lieu of Gondor cav.

darkstar
30-03-2009, 23:57
Minimum points from that box set is 515. Thing with rohan is that everything is cheap in points.

Shuttler
31-03-2009, 11:02
Thank you all for your thoughts.

I am going to go for the warhost add some command, 3 companies of Royal Guard and maybe another hero if points allow.

Does that sound like a good starting point?

How do the command figures work? Do you put all 3 in to a formation? essentially needing a few sets of 3?

Cheers

phoenixshroud
31-03-2009, 12:03
Thank you all for your thoughts.

I am going to go for the warhost add some command, 3 companies of Royal Guard and maybe another hero if points allow.

Does that sound like a good starting point?

How do the command figures work? Do you put all 3 in to a formation? essentially needing a few sets of 3?

Cheers

All three command figures go into the first company (command company)bought for a formation.

With a cavalry orientated force it is essential to have a banner bearer to avoid a a stalled charge and to re-roll panic tests.

Hornblowers increase the movement of a formation by 1" to get you into the fight quicker.

Captains improve the fight value of the command company when working out its attacks, his formation can use his courage value and can use might for heroic actions. As Garoth mentioned earlier, your points are better spent on Legendary formations and Epic heroes in a force that can be easily outnumbered.

As mentioned by PP, Mounted command should be easy to convert from the plastic ROR unless you prefer the captain/banner bearer blisters.

Odin
31-03-2009, 13:01
All I know of the rules so far comes from White Dwarf, so thanks for the heads-up on the drawbacks of an all-cavalry force. Problem is, I love LotR for the story and scenarios, so any force I create must feel right to me. I'll probably get some Rohan infantry anyway, as I can use them in the SBG, and if I'm playing an appropriate scenario in WotR I can use them. But I think I'll just go with an all-cavalry force anyway, and accept that they will be a bit more challenging to use. Hopefully plenty of missile fire can wear down the pike formations (I'll have to get some Outriders), helping to even the odds a bit.

Shuttler
01-04-2009, 08:26
great stuff, thanks.

Now I just need the release day to hurry up!

Odin
01-04-2009, 13:06
Anyone know if we can expect a hornblower model for Riders of Rohan? Rather annoying that the Uruk-Hai have a shaman in their command group - I don't want one of them, I want a musician. Shamans should have been released individually.

Nilhouse
02-04-2009, 15:54
Rohan definately needs infantry to be competitive, not to mention to match the books. The movie seems to have forgotten that about half the Rohan muster was infantry.

One half sized infantry formation per cavalry formation seems to be pretty solid.

Odin
02-04-2009, 17:13
Rohan definately needs infantry to be competitive, not to mention to match the books. The movie seems to have forgotten that about half the Rohan muster was infantry.

One half sized infantry formation per cavalry formation seems to be pretty solid.

Was this for Pelennor Fields? I didn't remember that. Haven't read the books for about 10 years, must read them again.

brimmstorm
02-04-2009, 17:19
I don't remember anything about the Rohan mustering any infantry. I thought the whole host was mounted.

-brimmstorm

Nilhouse
02-04-2009, 17:24
Almost everyone was on foot at the battle for the Hornburg except for the final charge, and I believe many footmen were at the Battle for the Fords. I don't think any footmen made it to the Battle of Pelenor fields due to the speed at which they moved.

brimmstorm
02-04-2009, 18:02
Yeah I thought we were talking about Pelenor. Agreed that Rohan could muster a sizable footmen force to defend their own lands but not to ride to the aid of others.

-brimmstorm

Shuttler
03-04-2009, 08:24
I think it is safe to say I will bolster the warhost with mounted infantry then ;)

Jorgen_CAB
03-04-2009, 10:33
You should also consider that horses are very common in Rohan and some would fight on foot even if they could be fielded as riders in some battles. So, having some infantry could simulate dismounted riders in those circumstances as well. Or simply men that are not good enough riders but still have a horse and would fight dismounted.

I think there are evidence in the Books that Rohan used this tactic many times.

takaetun
03-04-2009, 10:50
Actually, the Rohirrim were elite cavalry warriors who were very, very close to their horses - they would never just leave them behind or fight on foot unless they absolutely had to.

Throw enough horses at a pike wall and it'll eventually fall over. :)

lorelorn
03-04-2009, 11:09
The Muster of Rohan was the gathering of an army to fight with Gondor, it was entirely mounted. Helm's Deep was a castle, and as such the horses were stabled inside while the men fought on the walls.

It's worth remembering that the Rohan tactic was to hide behind the walls of Hlem's deep, not to defend them per se. In times past the wall's height was enough to see off dunlendings or orcs. They thought they could do the same with Uruk-Hai. Rohan were in no sense an infantry or even half infantry force. Their strength was cavalry.

This comes through in the WotR game, where Rohan's infantry is the weakest available to good armies. If you are building a Rohan force by all means take the cav options, but for infatry I would recommend Gondor (especially rangers) or dol amroth. Elves are also good but a bit pricey once you have bought your cav.