PDA

View Full Version : good outmatched?

Lord Asuryan
30-03-2009, 17:31
so far on this forum, all the threads talk about how great evils is--isengard uruks, easterlings, mordor, balrog, all. what I'm wondering is if good isn't just a little outmatched by evil in this game, seeing as virtually no-one is talking about how great gondor is, or rohan.

Rirekon
30-03-2009, 17:35
Elves all cause Terror, Dwarves have got Epic Heroes that can wipe out entire formations, Rohan can easily have an all Cavalry force (not looked at Gondor much).

I think the thing is that Evil can easily have various "cool" elements without allying where as Good needs to make use of their 25% ally allowance more to achieve the same thing.

kevinsmith121
30-03-2009, 17:45
I think the battle report in April's White Dwarf shows how great Rohan is - I think maybe the more interesting options lie with the Evil sides so far - plus they look really cool!

ThrowN
30-03-2009, 22:24
The Evil side has nearly all the biggies. And with perhaps the exception of dwarf players, everyone's got to love biggies.

Maybe things will change, when those plastic Ents finally hit the stocks...And if not, watch out for those plastic Galadhrim.

rcal13
30-03-2009, 23:42
In my area there are lots of gondor and rohan plays way more then evil, the only reason I am starting with evil is I have tonnnnnnnnnns of orcs and now have seven nazgul models and two sratch made greens, the necromancer and three trolls, a small amount of easterlings. where in good I never colected a large group of any one faction. Good has some of the best combation just they will have a limted number of casters and that is thier one draw back

Nu Fenix
31-03-2009, 00:09
I'm going for Evil because I like the look of them, and have two good armies in Warhammer.

takaetun
31-03-2009, 00:56
What do we think about unarmoured Wood Elves? They're the most prevalent (read: cheap) elves about, but only D3. Are they a viable list? I know they cause terror, Shoot 3+, can only be shot within 12" etc, but still... D3...

Nu Fenix
31-03-2009, 01:03
Whilst I'm still waiting on my rules to arrive, so am basing this on just guesswork, but what would you do against a horde force, trying to close the gap with you as fast as possible?

And is there magic that could either hinder your shooting, or even take advantage of your low Defence?

Emeraldw
31-03-2009, 01:04
I'm going for Evil because I like the look of them, and have two good armies in Warhammer.

There is no such thing! Only dark grey and pitch Chaos black!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
31-03-2009, 01:06
The platic Galadrim have armour. I am going to combine them with my existing metal Galadrim and my High Elves to form the forces of the Noldor and Sindar in the First age as well as being able to use them in the second and third ages respectively. I plan on creating an army the Morgoth would be proud of (first age orcs/the stuff below)
What kinds of things can an evil army have in the first / second age?
Orcs, goblins, dragons, balrogs, warg riders, (men), trolls. Does that sound like all? Its an actual question :)

I dug out my goblin army and my elves the other day and mounted them on my ten man movement trays for fantasy. Its a lovely fit and looks really cool :D
Im really stoked for the release of WotR!!!

jaws900
31-03-2009, 08:40
I only have 1 War of the ring force. Bing one of the few peop ewho is not all that keen on WOTR i felt i still needed a force as it was LOTR. I have Aragorn, Gandalf the White and about 22 knights (11 companies). Good ar well good but everyone seems to look at pikes etc which the good force lack (And oneone wants to have to get 3 packs of pikemen just to get 1 companie)

OllieC23
31-03-2009, 10:21
Ive only played one intro game for Wotr but im going to do a Rohan with some elves list!

phoenixshroud
31-03-2009, 10:50
Whilst I'm still waiting on my rules to arrive, so am basing this on just guesswork, but what would you do against a horde force, trying to close the gap with you as fast as possible?

And is there magic that could either hinder your shooting, or even take advantage of your low Defence?

Just use the terrain to your advantage like in the SBG as Elves can move through all difficult terrain as if it was open. Plus line of sight cannot be traced through defensible terrain features such as woods and buildings unless an enemy formation is on a hill or elevated position.

Defensible terrain grants a bonus to the occupying formations defence value (up to 3+) and any enemy formations charging them gain no bonuses for charging or charges to the flank and/or rear.

The Elven Kingdoms list also has an abundance of Epic heroes (Elrond Master Of Rivendell, Thranduil, Arwen Evenstar) that can use spells of the wilderness to slow down/push back/nature's wrath any enemies. (Try entangle on a Mumak to see what I mean!)

Galadriel, Lady Of Lothlorien, Radagast The Brown and Gildor's Household are pretty good choices as well. Radagast can cast his spells without line of sight and Gildor's Household has the ambush rule.

The enemy hordes will rely on their heroes might to call heroic movements (formation moves triple its movement distance) and pass courage tests (with the aid of orc taskmasters and goblin drums) to make At the double! (formation may move again after completing its move)

Spells of Dismay and Command are key to disrupting these actions as the enemy hero has to expend might to resist the effects of spells that reduce courage/movement.

Ambushers such as Ents are a great way of slowing down the enemy as well due to movement being halved if there is an enemy formation within 6"

Just watch out for flying monsters, spirits and spiders which have no trouble with terrain. (Panic Beast from Spells Of Wilderness is great for this after you have blitzed the targeted enemies courage!)

With regards to spells that hinder your shooting, Pall Of Night from Spells Of Darkness will make your shooting phase worse than an Orcs! Fortunately it can be countered with spells from the Spells Of Command/Wilderness.

Spells OF Ruin pose the greatest threat to your D3 Elves, be wary of Saruman The White Hand and Sauron/The Necromancer with their ability to call Epic Channeling and Ruination.

Hope this helps.