PDA

View Full Version : kroxigor uses?

Eulogy2
30-03-2009, 16:33
ill admit upfront, ive only tried them out once, with two in a unit of RnF skinks, but they seemed a little lackluster to me. against ogres, he just chose to hammer the skinks and killed a bunch of them, and in return the kroxigors only managed a few hits/wounds, and lost combat by a quiet a bit.

it seems to me the weapon skill 3 really kinda kills thier thunder for thier points. they pretty much need a 4+ to hit almost everything, giving you 1 or 2 hits usually, and then still a 1 to wound knocks one of those out. has anyone found a solid use for em? im thinking a unit of just 3 may be much better off as they are much tougher than skinks, but im not sure thery are worth the special slot? the newer models look awesome, id hate not using them:(.

Malorian
30-03-2009, 16:36
The skink/krox unit has it's uses but they are NOT suppose to be taking on ogres on the front.

The idea of that unit is that it is fast, hard hitting due to the krox, and has the static CR of the skinks. IF your opponent gets to attack back the cons of the dead skinks out weigh the pros.

So against ogres (where you are going to be taking attacks back) they are not good to use. However, krox on their own would do just fine.

Dr.Mercury
30-03-2009, 16:48
I agree with the above assessment.
Also I will add that small units of Krox, can be used in conjunction with massed skink units as flankers to negate ranks.
With their speed, MSU is the way to go with them as hard hitting flankers.
Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Eulogy2
30-03-2009, 17:14
thanks for the advice, but whats MSU? only thing i can guess is multiple small units?

N810
30-03-2009, 17:18
Multiple
Small
Units

;)

Spirit
30-03-2009, 23:29
4 kroxigor supporting your army on a flank is amazing. When they do get into combat use a skink priest on an EOTG to cast portent of far on 4 dice.

4+ to hit with 12 attacks = 6 hits, 7 hits with portent of far.
S6 so usually 2+ to wound with re rolls. Awesome.

Also, cold blooded and your saurus general close by means they are far less likely to run from combats the lose, even against ranked up troops
Mine have done me proud in every game i play.

they other way i use them is in conjunction with my EOTG both of them charging down the middle is a nasty sight, and there is an ancient in the unit to accept challenges that the skink priest would like to avoid.

slingersam
31-03-2009, 03:39
Portent of far works either the hit or to wound not
both. That was brought to my attention, saturday.

Dokushin
31-03-2009, 03:58

You've been fleeced.

"All subsequent dice rolls of a 1 made either to hit or to wound by that unit can be re-rolled that turn."

English is clear here -- it's referring to all rolls of both. Do you really think it wouldn't specify to choose one or the other?

Staurikosaurus
31-03-2009, 04:02
I've been running krox in units of 11 skinks (incl musician) in a 5x3 formation as "detachments" for my saurus blocks and as fast moving flanking units. They've been working wonderfully.

Vsurma
31-03-2009, 08:24
I suppose you could also compare them to saurus but considering that the skink/krox move 50% faster there is a HUGE benefit there, the fact is these guys can actually get the charge alot more often. (which is why saurus have spears, they know they will be charged)

What you really need to be comparing is skink/krox to just krox.

The above example is exactly what will be happening, you will assualt the enemy, or be assualted, the krox do the damage, skinks add static combat res with ranks and the banner. The enemy makes the correct choice by not attacking the T4 4+ krox when they can attack T2 skinks (did they have 5+ save in cc?) GREAT, instead of killing off those 2-3 krox, they kill kill 5pts skinks!

Your cold blooded so if you don't lose by much you hold and do it again.

Now comparing to the unit of just krox, you will be taking damage on the krox and once you lose even 1 your attack damage is significantly reduced.

With the skinks, say a unit of 16 skink and 2 krox, you have a US of 22 often giving you outnumner, 3 ranks, banner, so static CR of 5 + kills from 2 krox.

The other option is to take 4 krox, which will on the charge get 5 kills.

I prefer the skink krox for winning combats, also against shooting you will be losing mostly 5pts skinks rather than 55pts krox units.

Dungeon_Lawyer
31-03-2009, 08:31
4they other way i use them is in conjunction with my EOTG both of them charging down the middle is a nasty sight, and there is an ancient in the unit to accept challenges that the skink priest would like to avoid.

I really like that combo idea-Im gonna have to try that out.

bravo spirit:D

Spirit
31-03-2009, 12:19

Im afraid youve been had. The word "or" in this case does not mean to choose.

I've been running krox in units of 11 skinks (incl musician) in a 5x3 formation as "detachments" for my saurus blocks and as fast moving flanking units. They've been working wonderfully.

Only one krox in the unit? Does that do enough damage?

I really like that combo idea-Im gonna have to try that out.

bravo spirit:D

If your aiming for this tactic specifically you only need 3x krox, because the base size of normal unit is too big to get 4 krox AND a steg into base. And the krox can be screened with skinks pretty easily.

And ofcourse all the units get a 5+ ward while you run up the board!

dwarfhold13
31-03-2009, 14:43
i'm actually going to play a game today using two 10 skink 1 krox units.. only to countercharge.. i'm playing a goblin player who is using some REALLY big units of gobbos... i've got three units of spear saurus running behind a screen of skink skirmishers.. i figure i'll try and either negate ranks or use these little units as bait.. i'll let you know how it goes
Jon

Desert Rain
31-03-2009, 15:11
Kroxigors work great in units of skinks. They're probably decent on their own but as they use up a special slot and dont get ranks I always feel that they do better together with the skinks.

MarcoPollo
31-03-2009, 15:13
11 skinks and a krox gives you 15 bases which makes three ranks. So find the extra 5 points for the little skink.

As with all of the warhammer units, there will some units that dominate others. Skrox units will act a great detachments if you keep them cheap. But I think the best value as an anvil unit is two krox and 22 skinks. This gives you 30 bases (5 rows of 6 skinks), 6 st 7 attacks, usually outnumber and full ranks for around 220 pts (IIRC). This set up gives you the speed versatility, and staying power.

When thinking of krox in a unit, you should compare what a hero can do for the same costs. When counting the cost of a kroxigor you should discount it by 15 pts as this is the space that you would pay for the skinks that they replace. So the net cost of a krox is 40pts. Two of them make a hero. A scar vet costs 85 pts, with 4 attacks and two wounds. For less cost, you get 6 attacks and 6 wounds. You tell me what is the better deal for this situation.

Vsurma
31-03-2009, 17:35
I plan to run 11+krox as flankers also.

As to whether they do enough damage, if you went with say skinks on the flank just for the flank bonus, you might not gain anything due to losing skinks, say you hit some tough night unit or ogres or whatever on the flank (like say that bloodknight deathstar) they will likely kill 2 skinks negating any bonus. With 1 krox in there it kills the corner knight and you take no attacks back.

Also you become immune to fear which is nice.

nice analysis about the hero polo

Dungeon_Lawyer
31-03-2009, 22:00
Has anyone run a skrox+eotg combo? I was thinking of putting 2 krox+16 skinks with full command +eotg in one unit---That way the skink champ can accept the challenges the priest on the engine would otherwise have to accept. It looks like this unit could be a pretty killing unit with some serious US, but is it legal?

Dokushin
01-04-2009, 00:08
Has anyone run a skrox+eotg combo? I was thinking of putting 2 krox+16 skinks with full command +eotg in one unit---That way the skink champ can accept the challenges the priest on the engine would otherwise have to accept. It looks like this unit could be a pretty killing unit with some serious US, but is it legal?

Absolutely legal. Not a no-brainer because you're giving up the free monster pivot on the Engine, but makes for a nice unit, I think.

Eulogy2
01-04-2009, 00:39
thanks for the tips. ill try a larger unit next time. using them as flankers do you typically keep em an inch or two behind the anvil unit? like 18 saurus or TG?

Spirit
01-04-2009, 02:37
snip...This gives you 30 bases (5 rows of 6 skinks), 6 st 7 attacks,...snip...

Hate to ruin your day, but they lowered krox base strength to 4!

thanks for the tips. ill try a larger unit next time. using them as flankers do you typically keep em an inch or two behind the anvil unit? like 18 saurus or TG?

Just throw them out really wide past your anvil unit, to the extreme left or right, the unit you are trying to flank will then have to make a choice, face 2 kroxigor in the flank or face the anvil unit in the flank. I would imagine neither will usually be a good option for thr unit.

The danger with placing them close together is that it makes it quite easy to keep your flank safe for a turn, which is 2 combat phases, which may be enough to break your anvil unit.

Also, try to keep your anvil unit bigger than your flanker, this means that when you win the combat and pursue, the enemy will flee towards their rear (i.e towards their deployment zone and away from most lines of sight) rather than to their flank (which could land you with your expensive anvil unit's flank facing the enemies army!)

MarcoPollo
01-04-2009, 02:51
Hate to ruin your day, but they lowered krox base strength to 4!

Yup got that right. Each krox is worth 4 skink, and each hero is worth one skink a net change of 3 (55-20=35 net points for a krox), while a hero is worth 1 (85-5=80 net points). So I suppose that the net difference between two krox and one hero is acutally 10 pts (assuming you run the hero in a skink unit).

As for the count of 22 skinks and two krox. That's a total of 30 base sizes. 4+4+22 = 30.

Spirit
01-04-2009, 02:59
Yup got that right. Each krox is worth 4 skink, and each hero is worth one skink a net change of 3 (55-20=35 net points for a krox), while a hero is worth 1 (85-5=80 net points). So I suppose that the net difference between two krox and one hero is acutally 10 pts (assuming you run the hero in a skink unit).

As for the count of 22 skinks and two krox. That's a total of 30 base sizes. 4+4+22 = 30.

Dont forget the kroxigor transfer a complete immunity to fear also. Thats gotta be worth 10 points considering the best a scar vet can do is a more expensive, stupid, mount.

dwarfhold13
01-04-2009, 03:29
welp.. so my game with the goblin player ended up being a game with the same guy using my dwarf list with an anvil.. i had put two units of hand gunners and my flanking idea got shot to smitherines! with that said.. this was also dwarfs.. i'm sure if i would've been playing gobbos it would've done a lot better.. the only flank charge i was able to get in the game was with my lord on a carnie and killed 7 dwarfs.. i almost had another flank charge with an ancient steggie, but he managed on killing is with 2 very well placed shots with his S7 bolt throwers :( his army showed a freak happening though.. his dwarfs were winning combat by simply out numbering and doing a couple of wounds then he kept rolling 10's to run me down.. 5 dwarf miners over ran 4 terradons! i hate it when the dice god's are picking on me!

Staurikosaurus
01-04-2009, 21:24
Only one krox in the unit? Does that do enough damage?

Yes, as I use them to flank cavalry and other small fast moving units. They only need to kill 1 model to win combat as a result. (1 wound, 1 flank, 2 ranks, outnumber. I win by 4-5 and cause fear)

MarcoPollo
01-04-2009, 22:02
Well you only cause US of 3 fear. Hardly enough to break anything. But atleast you don't have to worry about fear and terror so much.

slingersam
02-04-2009, 02:50
Damn, I thought I read it right, but my friend said I had t choose which ever one I wanted. I knew I was right.
I guess when he was reading it, he accidentally snipped of a little bit of the wording.

Staurikosaurus
03-04-2009, 01:12
Well you only cause US of 3 fear. Hardly enough to break anything. But atleast you don't have to worry about fear and terror so much.

Forgetting the 4-5 combat res so soon?

Spirit
03-04-2009, 11:45

Combat resolution has no bearing on being a fear causer in combat. The only thing it helps with is hitting the krox on 6's or causing a US1-2 non fear causer to auto break. Good for characters.. ish.

MarcoPollo
03-04-2009, 16:51

My apologies. I should have said that US 3 fear causing is hardly enough to "auto break" anything.

The 4-5 combat res does indeed help as long as that isn't mitigated by the loss of CR due to skink kills.

Eulogy2
03-04-2009, 19:47
im gonna play a few games this weekend and try a unit of just krox. my opponent is gonna be OK more than likely, so i assume 3 will be fine? im not concerned with his shooting as so far all 3 games my skinks have killed 1 leadblecher on the opening volley and they have paniced everytime:).

Spirit
03-04-2009, 20:52
im gonna play a few games this weekend and try a unit of just krox. my opponent is gonna be OK more than likely, so i assume 3 will be fine? im not concerned with his shooting as so far all 3 games my skinks have killed 1 leadblecher on the opening volley and they have paniced everytime:).

4 will be better against OK because you will always get all 4 into combat, as the ogre units will usually be 3 wide.

Dont forget portent of far! Cast it last so they have less chance of dispelling it and you will munch the ogres.

Eulogy2
04-04-2009, 02:38
this was roughly the list i used tonight against a 2500

slaan
lvl2 skink priest eotg-
lvl 1 skink priest
18 saurus, command
18 TG standard, musician
skirmishersx2
10 cold ones
3 razordons xtra skink
8 chameleon skink
3 krox
ancient steg
we ended up in a massacre, in the end i had 1 TG dead, 3 cold ones, and about 24 skinks. by the end of turn 6 he had nothing left, at all. i think more than anything magic made the day. his slave giant died before it even got to move and it went down hill from there(chamelion skinks and then magic,)

the krox never even got a chance to get into CC:(.

Staurikosaurus
04-04-2009, 12:57
@ Spirit & Marcopollo

I use 11 man skink units with musicians and 1 krox as flanking units. For the most part they only need to kill 1-3 models (1 model on cav, up to 3 on RnF.) As a result they don't get attacked back (or only 2 attacks back) and I win combat. Try using them, you might like them; I know I've had great success with the unit used as I'm describing. As explained prevoius (though I think there was some misunderstanding) that results in 4-5 combat res in the lizardmen player's favour and often an enemy unit fleeing through their own battle line.