PDA

View Full Version : De bălăbănit horde 2250 Pts - ZOMBIES... Vegas GT list.. Tear it appart

complexfire
30-03-2009, 19:27
De bălăbănit horde 2250 Pts

This is my take at the Zombie Horde Army. The goal is to take the three units of 20 zombies and expand them to 50 strong each. Then I will start to make new units of zombies (will have 200+ painted zombies to play with! Aiming for 260) the lord will make the two 3 strong bats units to two 10 strong bat units and run around causing general shenanigans for the enemy. The Grave Guard help actually win combats and should be viable with the magic standards and healing of the vampires. Engage and overwhelm is the goal of this army. Wins shouldn't happen until sometime in the 5th or 6th turns!!!

Comments are suggestions are more than welcome!!

20 Zombies ** Deployed 10X2 Goal is to raise to 10x5 in first two turns **

1 Vampire ** Gets three power dice and a little bit of extra punch, will use dice to add to zombies then moves into raising new units and/or maintaining current unit sizes **
Magic Level 1
Master of the Black Arts
Sword of Might
The Gem of Blood

17 Grave Guard ** Deployed 6x3 w/ above Vampire in the ranks. **
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Standard
Seneschal
Banner of the Barrows

1 Vampire @ 200 Pts ** Same goal as above Vampire, Raise Raise Raise **
Magic Level 1
Master of the Black Arts
Walach's Bloody Hauberk
Biting Blade

17Grave Guard @ 280 Pts ** Deployed 6x3 with above Vampire in the Ranks **
Great Weapon
Heavy Armor
Standard
Seneschal
Royal Standard of Strigos

3 Fell Bats @ 60 Pts ** Deployed next to Lord **

1 Vampire Lord ** Goal is to Raise Vampire Bats to 10 strong each, shoot flaming missiles at people and cause general mischief, only gets into h2h on his terms! **

General
Magic Level 3
Master of the Black Arts
Forbidden Lore - Lore of Fire
Summon Creatures of the Night
Wristbands of Black Gold
Flayed Hauberk
Balefire Spike
Helm of Commandment

Zombie Dragon

3 Fell Bats **Deployed next to Lord **

1 Corpse Cart ** Deployed behind the army**
Miasma of Deathly Vigor
Unholy Loadstone

1 Corpse Cart **Deployed behind the army**
Miasma of Deathly Vigor
Unholy Loadstone

Casting Pool: 13

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 104

Total Army Cost: 2245

jax40kplyr1
30-03-2009, 19:43
Well it seems like you are trying to accomplish multiple things here with many types of varied units. Couple of points:

1. I wouldn't stake the entire army strategy on raising up everything the first two turns of so. Yes you get 13 dice, but needing a 3+ to cast, you should be able to cast 8 a turn (if thats the only spell you cast). With most opponents having around 4-5 dispel dice, you should get off 3-4 a turn. Can always roll 1s for raising units.
2. Raising 90 zombies in 2 turns - your mathhammer must be better than mine. Probably pretty hard to do.
3. I wouldn't take the gem of blood on a normal vamp. Your taking him down to 1 wound already (and will cost you an entire IoN to replace it).
4. GW armed grave guard only get a 5+ save - with no reg banner, they can go down fast.
5. If your going to run a zombie dragon lord, you want to get him into combat. Note - flaming spike can be a liability because then you can't hurt high elf dragon armor. The wristbands only protect the lord, not the dragon.
6. The helm of commandment only works when they aren't in combat. If your going to splurge for a zombie dragon, then you [I]want[I] that lord in combat. If you tool him up with red fury, infinite hatred, Sword of Battle, etc. you can literally break entire units on your own. The dragon will benefit from the infinite hatred as well.
7. Corpse Carts - you only benefit from 1 at a time for raising purposes. 2 is overkill unless your really spread out.

If your going with a zombie horde list, I'd drop the dragon, add another casty vampire, maybe add a black coach or varghulf (great for flanking units that are tied up in zombie hordes), definately add a Wight Lord BSB to your general's unit (put him on foot with a GG unit).
Just some suggestions. . .

complexfire
30-03-2009, 20:04
Thank Jax, you may be right about the Zombie Dragon.. I have the old 4/5th ED dragon.. Want him more for looks.. But I may be forced to drop him for just those reason. And I use the Vargulf/Black Coach combo all the time! :) LOVE THEM

complexfire
30-03-2009, 23:09
Just one? Really... No Opinions.. On this site??

Kai Itzah
30-03-2009, 23:29
Just one? Really... No Opinions.. On this site??

You expect more than one reply in four hours? On this site I think you're looking at about two replies average per day, and that's if people choose not to completely ignore the thread (which they occasionally do because of title choice etc.).

It's been a while since I've had a look at my VC army book and I don't have it by my side so I can't help you much. However, I can tell you, drop the Spike (flaming attacks aren't a good choice when you're heading to a tournament), consider dropping Wristbands if you need the points (Ward Save only applies to ranged attacks if I remember correctly, and if you're getting rid of the dragon he'll be plopped into a unit, in which case it will be dead points) and if you stick with the dragon I recommend you drop the Helm because you'll get your 20" basic moving unit into battle on Turn 2 at the latest, making your helm dead. Not to mention after your first move you'll most likely be out of range of anything you can use it on anyway.

Conisder plopping those Vamps up to Level 2 for the dice, Black Periapt and what's that other one...Book of Arkhan might be a good idea. Also, like the other guy who posted said, that's 480pts in each Grave Guard unit without a particular good save. They will unfortunately die a lot. Regen Banner on one, drop the GWs on the other maybe?

I do like the idea though, though I was a bigger fan of this guy who I heard in a battle report ran a single unit of 100 zombies from the start of the game.

g0ddy
31-03-2009, 17:28
Are you intending to have two carts with unholy lodestones? or is one/both mislabeled?

Balefire stacks, Lodestones dont.

~ Zill

jax40kplyr1
31-03-2009, 18:16
I've run units of 60 zombies around before and it's actually pretty funny. I had something like 3 blocks of 60 (10 x 6) just marching up across the battlefield. If you take alot of casty vamps and have 1 or 2 good flanking units, it can actually work pretty decently. Zombies against most units aren't that great, but what ends up making them great is that damn Helm of Commandment. The difference in WS can really make a fight ugly.

CaliforniaGamer
31-03-2009, 18:26
Dont like the list per se and can see it having lots of problems vs. competitive type builds.

Is this from last year's Vegas GT or for this year?

Personally playing vs. this with a shooty type list, I would focus fire down the grave guard units one by one and let you create your huge zombie cores and just avoid them.

Also, might just blow your lord off the dragon to end the game quickly.

I really dont see the point in putting a lord on a dragon who isnt particularily "fighty" and slapping the helm on him, its like a giant morass of contradictions: fight yet dont get in combat so you can throw WS7, fly but dont fly too far because your PD are needed to raise zombie cores, zombie dragon will likely rebel and eat the lord by turn 5.

complexfire
31-03-2009, 21:08
Are you intending to have two carts with unholy lodestones? or is one/both mislabeled?

Balefire stacks, Lodestones dont.

~ Zill

Two load stones.. The Army is too wide for one to cover all the units. So I would have both in order to get the +1.. Also it gives me two ASF castings as well. I have found those helpful in the past.

Cheers
-Complexfire

complexfire
31-03-2009, 21:09
I've run units of 60 zombies around before and it's actually pretty funny. I had something like 3 blocks of 60 (10 x 6) just marching up across the battlefield. If you take alot of casty vamps and have 1 or 2 good flanking units, it can actually work pretty decently. Zombies against most units aren't that great, but what ends up making them great is that damn Helm of Commandment. The difference in WS can really make a fight ugly.

Thats what I was hoping for.. Maybe I do need to drop the Zombie Dragon. It is allot of pts and it seems will not be very effective at all!

complexfire
31-03-2009, 21:15
Dont like the list per se and can see it having lots of problems vs. competitive type builds.

Is this from last year's Vegas GT or for this year?

Personally playing vs. this with a shooty type list, I would focus fire down the grave guard units one by one and let you create your huge zombie cores and just avoid them.

Also, might just blow your lord off the dragon to end the game quickly.

I really dont see the point in putting a lord on a dragon who isnt particularily "fighty" and slapping the helm on him, its like a giant morass of contradictions: fight yet dont get in combat so you can throw WS7, fly but dont fly too far because your PD are needed to raise zombie cores, zombie dragon will likely rebel and eat the lord by turn 5.

Yes this would be for this years Vegas GT. I took another 'soft' VC list last year. Placed in the top 15 and won Favored Opponent.. Wanting to field lots of zombies this year! :)

I see your point with the zombie dragon. Seems that I really do need to drop him...

My problem is I would like to field a zombie horde. However I refuse to play with blood knights at all. And last year I had a black coach and a vargulf and would like to drop both units for theme... Maybe I need to look at spirit hosts (not sure on this) Vampire Bats and Bat Swarms... Possibly Carin Wraiths though they are super expensive...

I'm thinking a nice big raised army with lots of fun fun stuff so it will be pretty... Zombies for sure.. Possibly Skeletons (I have lots of nice old metal skeleton minis), Grave Guard etc.. I would like to not field big monsters and cav in this army.. All foot troops.. Ideas?

Cheers
-Complexfire