PDA

View Full Version : GW Store Manager Pay

Gussy
31-03-2009, 01:56
There's an update on their website encouraging people to apply to be a GW store manager. Anybody have any ideas on how much that kind of job will pay in the US?

Not really interested in the job...but curious about the pay. :)

darkace77450
31-03-2009, 03:03
There's an update on their website encouraging people to apply to be a GW store manager. Anybody have any ideas on how much that kind of job will pay in the US?

Not really interested in the job...but curious about the pay. :)

GW managers make less than assistant managers at most other retail outlets.

Ward.
31-03-2009, 03:52
GW employees generally make less then their equals in similar positions.

Apparently their upper middle management makes more then is the standard, although I've never seen anything to back that up.

doombanner
31-03-2009, 05:15
I have one of their old hiring books somewhere... they list the pay scales.

Like others have noted, it's really bad, across the board.

~Doom Banner

Gorgrim
31-03-2009, 05:17
When I was offered a position 10 years ago the staffers were getting AUD$22k, the manager was getting AUD$27k. I turned it down, stayed casual and took another job paying AUD$60k and one that utilised my university degree.

Not sure about today's prices, but I'm sure it would still be comparably crap.

Gussy
31-03-2009, 05:21
Gee...no wonder they put so much pressure for you to buy!

Dexter099
31-03-2009, 05:46
Yes, it's a 'fun' job, not something that you do to actually make money.

Gorgrim
31-03-2009, 06:19
Yes, it's a 'fun' job, not something that you do to actually make money.

The funny thing is, most of my weekly pay from working at GW went on buying GW stuff (I had government assistance while studying, so was comfortable in that regard). I bought a crap load of stuff I still haven't glued together yet.

zedeyejoe
31-03-2009, 07:59
Yep you do it for love.

BigRob
31-03-2009, 08:23
It's percieved as a hobby niche job and since there are always people willing to do it for peanuts (and a staff discount) as well as a handy supply of cheap student labour, they will pay peanuts. It's the same with all other hobby jobs, like working with horses or writing. So many people will do it for the love of doing it, the few who need to make a living from it will struggle.

It's the way its always been. Years ago my old stores manager said he put in alot of overtim along with the rest of his new staff to bring the store upto scratch, boost sales, start a store club and generlaly do good things. GW decided to reward them all for their hard work with......a pre-release codex and some pre-release models each.

Plus every crusty old ex staffer you meet about will tell you what a terrible job it is, especially having to deal with all those annoying little kids.

Korras
31-03-2009, 08:42
when people will do it because they love it, they will stop when the fun part is gone. a pre-release codex and some models could go a long way in keeping it fun to do. and if all else fails, the employees can throw the stuff on sale.

thinkerman
31-03-2009, 18:15
GW managers basic starts at 13k

zedeyejoe
31-03-2009, 18:31
and if all else fails, the employees can throw the stuff on sale.

I don't think that is allowed.

Korras
31-03-2009, 18:40
I don't think that is allowed.

nor I, but I don't doubt that it happens, albeit not officially. Ebay, Veterans with too much money on their hands, etc.

The Ape
31-03-2009, 19:14
It's not allowed but it DEFINITELY happens. Most managers turn a blind eye unless it's done blatantly.

blongbling
01-04-2009, 11:05
thats why GW has a legal team...is it really worth losing your job over as its considered gross misconduct.

Despite popular belief a lot of people go to GW for a career. I was there for 13 years and worked up from a mail order troll to spend many years managing various departments and ended up on a good wage. its not all doom and gloom, its just the reality is that GW has to keep its store overheads down and the largest cost to any retail business is its staff, noone forces you to work there.

GundamMecha
01-04-2009, 11:25

Yep and the full time regular staff get even less.

When I worked for GW as a Key Timer my starting wage was something pathetic like 3.65 an hour! It went up to 5 an hour when I reached 21...

Everyone that I know who I used to work with has used the job in stores as a stepping stone, most people do it for fun while they are either A, a student B, living at home with no serious commitments, C, under the age of 30.

As soon as those elements start to change people move on.

No doubting it was a great experience and a very rewarding job, but it was grossly underpaid. Considering that we had high skill sets that we had to utilise when teaching paint sessions to people, and running games etc to kids. I was paid more for stacking shelves in a local home furniture store that required zero skill or product knowlegde.

Still people are at peace with that when they sign up.

Brucopeloso
01-04-2009, 11:34
How about part timers? My wife will go for an MBA and I was thinking to do some part time work in the week ends and evenings to get a bit extra cash and to pass the time while she is working.

Are part timers elegible for staff discount?

Cheers

Hlokk
01-04-2009, 13:22

Does that vary depending on what "company" the store is in or is it a flat rate?

@Bruco: According to my mate who works for them part time, they do get discount.

daemonkin
01-04-2009, 13:25
Yes they are eligible for discount although when I was Key time I had a probationary 3 months and until then I just piggybacked other staffers orders. When the 3 months were up I went mental with the discount. Still have the box that it came in up in my attic... with models still on sprues from it - 8 years later.

Full-timers were allowed to use their wages to pay for the discount. Key-timers mostly didn't make much money and so were restricted to cash/card transactions.

D.

boogle
01-04-2009, 22:48
in the Uk staffers are on minimum wage, and its 14 (or16)k starting for managers i believe

Damien 1427
01-04-2009, 23:17
in the Uk staffers are on minimum wage, and its 14 (or16)k starting for managers i believe

I earn nearly that much at an office job where I have spent around two years twiddling my proverbial thumbs. At 35 hours a week. Only having to deal with the radio.

14K for the kind of crap the redshirts put up with? No wonder they have a staff turnover rate like they do.

blongbling
02-04-2009, 08:57
and what staff turnover rate would that be...GW has quite a low staff turnover rate actually

boogle
02-04-2009, 11:24
Full time staff last usually about 18 months before moving to pastures new.

Managers it's about 2 years, but that could be coming down as a lot of managers are getting caned at the minute from their bosses as their takings aren't as good as last year and their aren't taking the downturn in the current economy as a valid reason (wtf?)

GundamMecha
02-04-2009, 12:07
How about part timers? My wife will go for an MBA and I was thinking to do some part time work in the week ends and evenings to get a bit extra cash and to pass the time while she is working.

Are part timers elegible for staff discount?

Cheers

It's my understanding that part time no longer exists? When I used to work for GW I was what they called a Key Timer. Meaning I would work at Key Shifts during busy or peak times. 4 Hours one evening to run a gaming night, middle of the day on a Sunday for running kids events. Things like this. It was not a set rota every week and the hours and the days I worked constantly changed.

They stopped this and made all Key Timer's redundant - I didn't get to join Chaos I was summarily executed by the Commissar. :D

They had a set part time system for awhile but basically you had to work weekends only and every weekend without fail. I declined as I needed some flexibility.

I'm not sure if they even have this option anymore. I was speaking to a guy in a branch in Central London recently and he mentioned to me that there was another big stuff cut underway or coming up soon.

Key Timers and Part Timers were eligible for discounts during my time there.

GundamMecha
02-04-2009, 12:08
Full-timers were allowed to use their wages to pay for the discount. Key-timers mostly didn't make much money and so were restricted to cash/card transactions.

D.

We could place orders up to 50 maximum from wages. At least that was the drill when I was a Key Timer.

Rirekon
02-04-2009, 12:33
It's my understanding that part time no longer exists?

Probably not, the law changed not long ago such that part time employees receive the same legal status as full time employees - which for a lot of companies defeated the point of them having part time staff so they get rid of them all.

boogle
02-04-2009, 13:57
my local has a part timer, i think some fo the new 1 man stores have them as well

Brucopeloso
02-04-2009, 15:17
Thank you all for your kind replies! If the missus goes for the MBA I'll try to apply and will let you know.
Cheers!

Ex-Blueshirt
02-04-2009, 17:43
GW has quite a low staff turnover rate actually

In the South West region it's incredibly high.

IJW
02-04-2009, 18:42
In the South West, most retail jobs have high staff turnover... not as high as Stagecoach bus drivers, though.

Marshal Sinclair
02-04-2009, 19:14

Jesus Christ...

Deus Mechanicus
02-04-2009, 19:31
Jesus Christ...

Yes he wouldn't work for minimum wage.

Laser guided fanatic
02-04-2009, 19:47
Yes he wouldn't work for minimum wage.

Bum dum dum shush.

darkace77450
02-04-2009, 20:46
Full time staff last usually about 18 months before moving to pastures new.

Managers it's about 2 years, but that could be coming down as a lot of managers are getting caned at the minute from their bosses as their takings aren't as good as last year and their aren't taking the downturn in the current economy as a valid reason (wtf?)

The funny thing about this is some of the new management they are bringing in are as clueless to the hobby as I am to microbiology (I am not a microbiologist). A manager who gets paid a pathetic salary, deal with an incompetent upper management, and must learn and utilize a specialized skillset not required in other retail stores who doesn't enjoy the hobby...that turnover rate is about to get a bit higher.

jimbobodoll
02-04-2009, 21:01
****! I Earn more than that and I'm a full time phd student!