PDA

View Full Version : Strangle-root Question

Taureus
31-03-2009, 02:10
Yes, I know that the Treeman can S&S with the s'root.

My question here is thus:

Since the attack does not have a listed range (pick a unit within 6", LOS nonwithstanding -> Fire!), can it be used on units that charge from within half their charge distance?

My common tactic has been to move to within 6" of a unit, and then S&S anything that charges in, even when they are close.

For awhile, my gaming friend didn't have a problem with it. Until he lost a unit of Blackguard to the T'man that is.

Being a specialized shooting attack, it does seem logical that the s'root would have special allowances for how it works. Being able to S&S is one thing, being able to S&S no matter the distance is something else entirely, I know.

theunwantedbeing
31-03-2009, 02:20
All other targetting restrictions apply

So you cannot S&S with the strangleroot if the enemy is within half their charge range.

Taureus
31-03-2009, 02:34
Fair enough.

So, for the most part, all you can really do against high movement things (cavalry most importantly) is not get within half their charge range if you can't help it.

Against most armies (lizzies being the only exception that comes to mind, still not fully familiar with all the M6+ armies) though being just within the 6" is enough to be able to S&S against any charge.

EvC
31-03-2009, 11:07
Yes, if the enemy always charges more than half their charge distance away allowing you to stand and shoot, you will always get to stand and shoot. That's called a tautology.

Kidjal
31-03-2009, 11:25
aye. I think the rulebook states that you would declare the reaction, the charge would move, stop at the full range of the shooting attack, and then continue minus any casualties. (Taking into account any panic check, obviously)