PDA

View Full Version : question from someone new to the game

elctrcian
31-03-2009, 03:48
Just picked up painting WoC, would really like to play in time...To me it seems the game is really individual character heavy, is this right..I would love to see more unit choices to really broaden game play,most of the armies have only a few core choices but nearly 20 individual pieces...granted I dont know the game very well at all, but is this the case, is there a way around it, or is there hope down the road...I'd just like to see the core choices just be a little more to chose from

jason
31-03-2009, 04:02
If its core choices that you want, try Orcs and Goblins, there is plenty of choice. If rank and file isn't your thing, then a cavalry heavy army may have slightly less models to paint. But don't get too discouraged by all the models. We all end up with way more than we could ever hope to paint. Slow and steady progress will really pay off in the end. And once you start seeing your army take form, it will inspire you to keep on. Lastly, welcome to warhammer.

elctrcian
31-03-2009, 04:06
i guess thats the thing, in looking closely at all the armies the WoC, was by far the most exciting to paint, but their army choices, arent a lot to chose from, i dont know if i want to buy 3 sets of warriors and 2 set of mauraders...oh well

Erie Ed
31-03-2009, 04:43
humm some armies that i can think of that have a ton of units are Orc's and Goblins, Skaven, Empire (seem to have a decent amount).

elctrcian
31-03-2009, 04:48
and sum dont, orcs, empire, just dont interest me, skaven arent bad....i like bretonia but 3-4 different kinds of knights? and then bowmen and men-at-arms im a little disappointed..i really like WoC but not thrilled with lack of selection..i think thats what keeps me from gettin into playing..just my personal thoughts on it

Erie Ed
31-03-2009, 05:06
humm tomb kings, Daemons of Chaos, Vampire Counts, High/Dark Elves maybe?

YTY
31-03-2009, 05:09
If you are playing chaos warriors, you in fact have different units in core, for example:

- Minimal units of warriors or marauders with GW and MoK for killing tough stuff
- Marauder horsemen, Cheap and versatile, these guys can be given flails and MoK
- Marauders for a big wall of cheap cannon fodder
- Warriors with shields for extreme toughness
- Warhouds for support

All these units play differently (or at least a bit) and you can buff them with magic standards and marks.

elctrcian
31-03-2009, 05:14
u have a good point...i guess i see like 20 individual characters and just a handful of units...dont get me wrong im not knocking the game at all, just some thoughts

Sirroelivan
31-03-2009, 09:21
Well, if you don't count the special characters, WoC doesn't even have that many different characters: just a fighty hero and lord, a wizard hero and lord and a daemon prince.

And there's no reason to go character heavy, since WoC characters can become expensive pointswise very fast.

Otherwise you could also try Empire, since they have a lot of different infantry regiments.

ashc
31-03-2009, 11:24
Remember also that WOC can be personalised with marks of chaos and suchlike, for instance, a unit of marauder horsemen with the mark of khorne and flails plays a lot differently to a unit with the mark of slaanesh and spears. Look different too! variety is the spice of life :)

Ash

Makarion
31-03-2009, 12:18
Also, there is a way to get trolls as core units! (You'd have to take the Throgg special character in your army). That certainly creates a very different army, with lots of painting opportunities.