High I'm going against this Vamp Count player, yet I have
no Idea what to expect. Could you guys tell me the strengths
and weaknesses of the army. Also which units are there heavy
hitters, so that I can have a basic idea of what I'm getting myself
into.

Shadowsinner
31-03-2009, 05:31
kill the general if you can

carry lots of antimagic OR lots of fire magic to kill those pesky wraiths black coaches and corpse carts with regeneration

make sure you have units that are immune to psyc as most likey he will slaughter you on his charge or outnumber you

dont bother with basic missle troops... theyll gorw faster than you can kill them.

grave guard are the standard elite troops and typically the major deathstar

orkz222
31-03-2009, 05:50
heavy hitters:
black knights, blood knights, vargulf, grave guard with GW, vampire characters

tar-pit:
zombies, skeletons, ghouls

Take note:
banshee with wraits (sp?)

standard VC tactics are tied you up using the tar-pit units (letting u charge them or charging u) then flank with the heavy hitters using van hels during magic phase or directly charging your engaged units with the tar-pit during his movement phase. He will keep raising "killed" zombies/skelly etc with his invocation spell to keep your units engage while waiting for his heavy hitters to charge you.

He also need not wait for his heavy hitters as he can raise dead/summon undead horde a new unit of zombies at the flank or back of your engaged units to negate your rank bonus and auto break you using outnumber fear if you lose combat - mostly used on your weaker units

There are also death-star VC units where a unit of eg black knigts with wight bsb regen banner and Vampire lord with uber close combat build that will just pierce through your army with ease

the banshee with wraits (sp?) you need to take note too. They cant be harm except by magical atk/spells/weps... and the banshee can make a mess of your units with her scream , very powerful against low LD troops

I nv include the black coach since i dont have experince with it.

slingersam
31-03-2009, 06:56
the spelling is wraith's. Anyway wondering what does the
deathstar consists of?

Nationalmaverick
31-03-2009, 07:10
There are a couple, usually Blood Knights with regen banner bearer, 4+ Ward save against ranged and a vamp lord with blood drinker which can raise a dead vampire every turn.

With their relatively high WS, AS and toughness it makes them one of the hardest units in the game, you usually see them flanked by a varghulf (flying monster) or a black coach sucking the lord and bearers dice til its maxed then counter charging anything in site.

Some prefer to take a graveguard unit with the regen banner and the above setup sans the coach.

Personally I dont mind the graveguard combo but if that blood knight units plans go well its pretty much game over for an entire flank.

Dungeon_Lawyer
31-03-2009, 09:26
make sure you take the slann diciplines that disregard enemy casters roll of 6 and the banner that forces caster to roll for stupidity, also the magic item that dispells a spell then ends the magic phase on a 2+--these powers can REALLY ******* up a vc players day.

Deetwo
31-03-2009, 09:27
Flying + steal soul/soul stealer/rule of burning iron = win :) (ofcourse assuming adequate magic defence not to get charged by Vanhels...)
Getting the general down fast is key to vaporizing a VC army.

Deathstar is a concept which consists of a huge unit with multiple characters and a lot of effects that make them more durable and/or killy, as well as two banners for big static CR.
That sort of thing always has the downside of costing outrageous amounts of points leaving the rest of the army very light.

slingersam
31-03-2009, 10:44
I'm already taking the stupid banner, Diadem of power.
Also how did you know I was playing Lizardmen. Also
what is the average leadership for vamp counts

Nationalmaverick
31-03-2009, 10:49
If your playing lizards never go passed razordons if your scared of death stars.

Keller
31-03-2009, 13:26
what is the average leadership for vamp counts Undead troops have terrible leadership. Core units are about 3-5 LD, while Wights are Ld 6, and their best unit, the Blood Knights, are a whopping Ld7. Of course the entire army is immune to pysch so it is largely irrelevant, unless of course you can kill the general and they start taking crumbling checks.

Deetwo
31-03-2009, 13:47
Undead troops have terrible leadership. Core units are about 3-5 LD, while Wights are Ld 6, and their best unit, the Blood Knights, are a whopping Ld7. Of course the entire army is immune to pysch so it is largely irrelevant, unless of course you can kill the general and they start taking crumbling checks.

Stupidity and especially Slaanesh daemon magic also :)
LD banner + masque + Phantasmagoria + Slicing Shards = whoopass deluxe.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
31-03-2009, 14:04
Also how did you know I was playing Lizardmen.

Your signature.

slingersam
31-03-2009, 16:20
Well I was hoping people wouldn't know
I played lizardmen just because I didn't
want people telling me how to use them
to defeat Vamp Count. Anyway it's good
that the enemy has low leadership as
I will be using blade of realities against
him so if he has low leadership my lord
will just tear right through them, as my
other units will fold them or march block.

@ maverick I didn't understand your
comment

Keller
31-03-2009, 16:29
Do you have something against using the entire window to write? Why the block-formatting? I feel like I am supposed to be reading poetry stanzas.

g0ddy
31-03-2009, 17:04
Vampire Lords are Ld10, Heros are 7, Wight Kings are 9.

At 2000 pts ou will more than likely be facing Ld10, but again LD doesnt matter a great deal to them.

TBH, vampire armies can vary A LOT. But you cant go wrong with spear saurus and an engine....

~ Zilla

slingersam
31-03-2009, 17:23
I have no problem using the whole block, but it allows people to read my posts faster instead of jumping from one side of the screen to the other.

I'm already taking spears and ETOG, wondering will terror have any effect on Vamp Counts?

Keller
31-03-2009, 18:15
I have no problem using the whole block, but it allows people to read my posts faster instead of jumping from one side of the screen to the other. I meant no offense. I was curious as to whether you were on a mobile or something that limited response formatting.

I'm already taking spears and ETOG, wondering will terror have any effect on Vamp Counts?
Nope, terror will not affect anything in the army at all. Every unit in the VC army is Immune to Psych as part of the Undead! rules. Ghouls and Batswarms used to be Alive! but are no longer.

CaliforniaGamer
31-03-2009, 18:33
I play VC alot so I guess I see their big glaring weakness well:
Any M4 "Deathstar" can be outmaneuvered, drawn in with feigns and flank swarmed quite easily. Dont fear Danse, the key is really blocking that ONE attempt that is absolutely essential to the VC plan, everything else you let through and save the scrolls/DD.

VC shine at CR but once you get that US5 flank charge watch them buckle. Another key is flaming attacks where possible and focus fire on units you can destroy in 1 turn.

Most players bunker their lord in rear so mobile terradon units getting behind his lines can wreak havoc.

Keep the pressure ON from turn 1 and never let it up.

Nationalmaverick
31-03-2009, 20:03
thats because it didn't make any sense, I meant Terradons, drop rocks can take a seriously huge chunk out of deathstars, vamps death stars relly on blood drinker/magic to replenish the ranks so suppression from a slann and drop rocks will negate alot of this.

Key against vamps is outlasting them, I know Im generally alone in this but 10 man units are a no no imo for all circumstances, they are easily outnumbered and out fought and out CR'd and destroyed they can not be relied upon and will suffer greatly at the hands of skelly and ghoul blocks.

slingersam
31-03-2009, 22:18
I meant no offense. I was curious as to whether you were on a mobile or something that limited response formatting.

No offense taken. How strong are they're lords and hero types in CC, as that is were I succed strength

Malorian
31-03-2009, 22:23
Depends... most are mainly casters and fairly weak in combat (well they have 3 str 5 attacks but only T4 and no save) however some give up some of that magic to give them combat powers or spend more points on giving them armor.

The lords can be amazingly strong in combat, but again they do it at the cost of their magic.

So it really depends on your opponent.

Dungeon_Lawyer
31-03-2009, 23:13
I'm already taking the stupid banner, Diadem of power.
Also how did you know I was playing Lizardmen. Also
what is the average leadership for vamp counts

As a fellow Slann
I sensed your presence in the geomantic web

slingersam
31-03-2009, 23:20
Is there any kind of things I should look out for in Vamp Counts, anything that might come out of no were,
surprises that I might encounter.

slingersam
31-03-2009, 23:28
As a fellow Slann
I sensed your presence in the geomantic web

Lol, that made me laugh. I'm not a true Lizardmen yet as I don't own
a slann mage priest.

SuperArchMegalon
01-04-2009, 00:20
Try not to take *all* the magic items that tailor against VC. Your opponent may not appreciate it.

slingersam
01-04-2009, 04:31
I don't tailor lists, as I feel that it becomes a game of
list vs list and not general vs general

Tyranno1
01-04-2009, 07:42
Hmmm you say you dont have a slann yet? Well if you do get one before this match may I recommend the Disapline that stops all 6s rolled by one wizard in the magic phase. Target the opponents general and watch him pull his hair out :p, if he useing an invospam list or hell any list which involves him raiseing undead, negating all 6s will cripple him.

If not take an engine with a guy holding diadem of power, the extra dispell dice will come in handy. And if you feel really cheeky (although agaisnt vampires you cant really :p) take two, the ability to do 2D6 S5 no armour save hits to any units near both engines is fantastic and if you should be facing graveguard/blood knights then they wont be on the table much longer, and the range for this ability will become massive.

Kroxigor are a big no-no as they wont be able to do enough damage to desroy a unit in one turn before they get flanked/reared. I have had success with cold one riders though, in a block of 6 with only a musician, the sheer volume of attacks will power through most units, and hitting the flank will spell doom for any infantry block. You could put your general with blade of realities in there too, to deliver him to the vampire lord in a unit which will give him alot of trouble. And the blade should kill his general, LD7 wont last long with the onslaught an oldblood can put out.

slingersam
01-04-2009, 08:29
I will be using Cold One Riders with a Saurus Old Blood with blade of realities as I know that will help me greatly.
I can't take 2 engines as I don't have another stegadon, but I do intend to take 2 skink priests 1 with engine.
Now I'm wondering I would like to take a Diadem of Power but I also don't want to tailor my list against his.
Will I be using the Diadem of Power a lot against other armies or will it only be useful against Vampire Counts.
Also if I do decide to take Diadem of Power, who should I give it to the Skink Priest or the E.T.O.G.?

Tyranno1
01-04-2009, 09:34
I will be using Cold One Riders with a Saurus Old Blood with blade of realities as I know that will help me greatly.
I can't take 2 engines as I don't have another stegadon, but I do intend to take 2 skink priests 1 with engine.
Now I'm wondering I would like to take a Diadem of Power but I also don't want to tailor my list against his.
Will I be using the Diadem of Power a lot against other armies or will it only be useful against Vampire Counts.
Also if I do decide to take Diadem of Power, who should I give it to the Skink Priest or the E.T.O.G.?

The diadem I have found to be useful agaisnt every army, except ones with no magic. So it wont be tailoring your list to vamps to take the item.

I say give it to the guy on the engine, as its going to last quite a while on him. Vamps have almost no firepower and very little of it is going to be hitting the skink priest. The other priset I recommend a dispell scroll, its good as a final defense if your opponent gets off wind of undeath, as that will do alot of damage.