PDA

View Full Version : The results for the most popular army on warseer are as follows:

immortal99
14-12-2005, 17:17
here we go form 1st to last:

Space Marines 69 votes or 21.23%

Imperial Guard 66 votes or 20.31%

Tau 40 votes or 12.31%

Orks 36 votes or 11.08%

Eldar/Dark eldar 31 votes or 9.54%

Chaos Space marines 30 votes or 9.23%

Tyranids 20 votes or 6.15%

Inquisitorial Order 19 votes or 5.85%

Necrons 8 2.46%

Army list from White Dwarf 6 votes or 1.85%

So to (i think) nobodys suprise Space marines are the winners, Necrons are suprisingly low in votes (IMO), i think their fluff is really cool, the models are as well, the only thing they lack is variety (and perhaps people using origonal colour schemes).

Crube
14-12-2005, 17:22
Be interesting to see how the Eldar vote breaks down to Eldar (Craftworld), Eldar (Aspect based) and Dark Eldar...

Other than that, yeah, marines no surprise, but reasonably surprised by the result for orks...

TheOneWithNoName
14-12-2005, 17:38
The most boring army aka. The Necrons dead last? Surprise Surprise.

Norminator
14-12-2005, 17:46
I would have thought 'nids would have come higher, or at least higher than the Tau.

Grimaldus
14-12-2005, 18:06
Meh...I kinda like it that my beloved Nids didn't come out on top....or really even close to the top:) I did however think that they'd be more popular than they apparently are.

starlight
14-12-2005, 18:35
Bear in mind that people *do* have more than one army. The above list isn't all that accurate in either sample size or because it doesn't recognise that (for example) I have a half dozen armies, only one of which is represented above.

Blood Axe Orks
Sisters of Battle (not WH)
Tyranids
Harlequins (DEWC)
Guard
Salamanders

Rykion
14-12-2005, 18:47
I think the main weaknesses for the popularity of Necrons is that there is little official variety in paint schemes, and that their background leaves little to allow players to individualize the army or its leader.

Ozendorph
14-12-2005, 19:28
Not to dispute the results or anything, but when Marines are all lumped together into one entry, it's going to dominate. We're talking about, what, five different codices here? And around half the miniature range to boot :)

I'm impressed by the guard. I just don't see that many IG players in my area. Here it's SM, Chaos.......everybody else :)

Grimaldus
14-12-2005, 19:38
I think that a lot of us want to collect a Guard army at some point or another...even though we really aren't the Imperial playing type. Guard just have this weird cool factor going for them, not to mention unmatched variety.

Toppan
14-12-2005, 19:42
i halfway expected marines to come out as a clear winner, not a close win
i could of been one of those necron players, but everyone knows feral orks is the only way to go...wait...would that be one of the white dwarf choices? damn...can i get a revote?

The Dragon Reborn
14-12-2005, 20:23
I have never played against a gaurd army.... and I only have played SM like 4 times I guess I am odd

TWB
14-12-2005, 20:37
I fail to see whay this required a second thread, the results on the first thread spoke for themselves

EmperorsChamp01
14-12-2005, 20:49
Well one of the reasons the SM where the highest is because they are getting new codeice all the time and new models. Not that im complaining. Also there are abunch of new people who like to play SM becasue they are an easy army to build your tactics off of. I wasnt suprised that the SM where 1st. After all 40k was built for SM. THey have been around the Longest and they are very cool models.

Wrathgar
14-12-2005, 22:29
The most boring army aka. The Necrons dead last? Surprise Surprise.

What exactly is your idea of an exciting army? My Necron army varies quite a bit with the only common item being a set number of warriors to keep my troop compositions high. I routinely utilize many of the "bad" units such as Pariahs and Wraiths because I like the look and feel of the models.

I do wish that GW would change the force organization a bit. If, for example Flayed Ones were in the troops category then I would utilize them on a regular basis.

No offense to Space Marine players but the reason for the popularity is the fact that they're one of the easiest armies to play - especially after the new codex.

Easy E
15-12-2005, 01:02
Go Orks! i am pleasantly surprised by their standings. I am also surprised at the rank that Chaos got.

I wonder what White Dwarf armies got votes? Kroot? Armored Company? Are there any others?

Adept
15-12-2005, 01:40
Not to dispute the results or anything, but when Marines are all lumped together into one entry, it's going to dominate. We're talking about, what, five different codices here? And around half the miniature range to boot :)

Yeah, but how different are the varieties? They all have stat-lines of four, a 3+ armour save, and AP5 S4 weapons.

*wanders off grumbling about how many Marine codecii there are...*

boogle
15-12-2005, 01:44
Very surprised to see Nid's so low down

heretic
15-12-2005, 04:07
if this poll were taken before IG plastics, they would have been much lower on the list... goes to show what GW was missing out for a long time

Orbital
15-12-2005, 04:18
I don't know if this would just get really goofy, but why not start a poll that's a bit more specific with armies? Instead of "Marines", how about "Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves"? Instead of Chaos, how about "Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch"? Eldar/Dark Eldar, we have "Alaitoc, Iyanden, Saim Hann, Biel Tan, Ulthwe, Codex, Ulthwe Strike Force" and "Codex, Wych Cult"...

etc. etc.

Could give us a good idea of what specific army people are playing... as some of those guys don't consider themselves to be lumped in with other stuff (Eldar & Dark Eldar one choice? WTF?)

onlainari
15-12-2005, 07:04
The results clearly showed that people voted for what they thought was cool, rather than interesting to play or what they owned.

Ozendorph
15-12-2005, 07:16
Yeah, but how different are the varieties? They all have stat-lines of four, a 3+ armour save, and AP5 S4 weapons.

*wanders off grumbling about how many Marine codecii there are...*

Well, by that logic, Necrons and Chaos legions should have been lumped into the same group with the marines.

It's about the character of the armies, not just the numbers. Blood Angels don't play or feel like Black Templars, and both those armies couldn't be any more different from the Space Wolves. Maybe it sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but I really don't think so.

Anyway, still an interesting poll. It'd probably have been more accurate if players were able to select multiple forces in the event they play more than one regularly.

Gavmo
15-12-2005, 12:04
I don't know if this would just get really goofy, but why not start a poll that's a bit more specific with armies? Instead of "Marines", how about "Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, Space Wolves"? Instead of Chaos, how about "Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Tzeentch"? Eldar/Dark Eldar, we have "Alaitoc, Iyanden, Saim Hann, Biel Tan, Ulthwe, Codex, Ulthwe Strike Force" and "Codex, Wych Cult"...

Personally I think the poll would have been better like this. But it was simply not possible. There is a maximum of 10 choices allowed in a poll. So I think we should just accept what we got. :)

Chaos and Evil
15-12-2005, 12:38
Personally I think the poll would have been better like this. But it was simply not possible. There is a maximum of 10 choices allowed in a poll. So I think we should just accept what we got. :)

'specially since there are about 20+ imperial guard variants too :)

Xander-K
15-12-2005, 12:39
Well, by that logic, Necrons and Chaos legions should have been lumped into the same group with the marines.

well no not really, the chaos and necron rules are far too different from those of various marine chapters to lump them in together.

anyway the last time I saw a poll like this the results were significantly different, also marines were split into BA, DA, SW etc. and the Vanilla Marines came out on top by a bigger margin. Imperial Guard were 3rd after Chaos and Orks were a LOT less popular than the results are shown here.

Orbital
15-12-2005, 16:01
well no not really, the chaos and necron rules are far too different from those of various marine chapters to lump them in together.

There's more in common between Chaos, Necrons and Marines than there is between Eldar and Dark Eldar.

Xander-K
15-12-2005, 16:06
I don't particularly care, I wasn't debating about eldar.

Orbital
15-12-2005, 16:08

Ah, yeah. Well, that makes sense.

Maybe one selection per codex would be better? I dunno. It's not a big deal, I realize.

Orbital
15-12-2005, 16:12
I don't particularly care, I wasn't debating about eldar.

We're actually discussing the poll more than a specific army, and the question is whether armies should be lumped together because they're so similar. I'm suggesting that if, say, putting Chaos and Marines (or Necrons) together doesn't make sense then putting other armies together which have even less in common makes even less sense.

It's not that big of a deal, I realize, and I don't want to make it seem like I have any interest of rattling the sabre on this one. Just clarifying my point.

Ozendorph
15-12-2005, 16:30
All I was trying to say is that there's more to the armies than their stat-lines. Lumping two armies as different as the Dark Angels and Space Wolves into a single choice doesn't provide particularly accurate poll results. Of course the maximum of 10 choices per poll is news to me :)

Is it possible to do a similar poll but allow people to vote for multiple selections? I'm sure many people here actively collect and play more than one army (I sure as heck do!).