PDA

View Full Version : picking a super heavy...

backslide
31-03-2009, 13:18
ok heres one for ya all, I have no desire to play much apoc... the games round here just seem to revolve to cheese and bad coversions (I was offended by bucket stompas a month after the plastic release) and sheer chaos of 8+ players trying to not ger thier fav models blown up

how ever I do quite like the thought of 3/3.5K games enough for 1 formation give or take with some support, to date I have 7 russ, 6 chimeras and a hellhound 100+ guard mostly painted

so to the point, I want to reward myself with a plastic superheavy when I finnish painting my guard so now with 10 choices what to pick? (please don't tell me just to magnatize)

not to ammused by the storm lord

quite like the banesword for the shadow sword look but 10" template

the simple baneblade for its sheer simple minded weight of fire?

though really like the new data sheet for the shadow sword and its support company, my guard do have a chaotic bent so themetically that may have impact

Killgore
31-03-2009, 13:31
if you are facing plenty of superheavys the ShadowSword would be a pretty fine choice

you could use that ShadowSword steel legion special character in the new WD.

Mannimarco
31-03-2009, 13:44
whats wrong with a stormlord? get a loan of the marine codex, stick chronus in it for the BS boost, stick 20 lasconnon heavy weapon teams in it and use the top hatch to fire them

or it that to broken?

Korras
31-03-2009, 14:00
how about a Stormblade? true, it's FW-only, but it has two modes of fire:

S10, AP2 10" blast, Ordnance 1, or a S8, 7" blast Ordnance 2 mode, thus spitting out 2 high-strength 7" pie-plates. that'll eat up hordes (and MEQ's alike, if the opponent decides to cluster them all together) like a nurgling swimming through the pus.

RCgothic
31-03-2009, 14:45
The Banesword, Baneblade, Hellhammer and Stormsword are all excellent tanks. They are brilliant at killing large swathes of infantry.

The baneblade kills most out of cover.
The hellhammer/stormsword kill most in cover.
The banesword kills most at long range and pins because it's ordnance barrage.

The shadowsword is a tank-hunter, and it is poor at it compared to a warhound, which can get 4x the D firepower, 6" extra movement, a WS vs infantry, a stomp attack and 2 void shields for just 300pts more.

SPYDER68
31-03-2009, 14:55
The new shadowlord or w/e it is..... is what im buying this weekend.

EVIL INC
31-03-2009, 15:03
Ok, I take it your looking to just play really large games but without the overabundance of stuff you see in a "reguler" apoc game. You can always play apoc games with a select few people who are of the same mind as yourself or an apoc game with just 2 players.
As to which one you will be "needing", I would say that something along the lines of the shadowsword for anti-super heavy would be usefull in taking out enemy superheavies and all because you already have the anti-infantry and anti-medium tanks covered.

OR...
You could just magnatize. I will be able to switch up to use ANY of the 6 possibilities available with the shadowsword tank and it will look like it was "built" that way.

backslide
31-03-2009, 22:32
whats wrong with a stormlord? get a loan of the marine codex, stick chronus in it for the BS boost, stick 20 lasconnon heavy weapon teams in it and use the top hatch to fire them

or it that to broken?

thats the kinda attitude that makes me avoid apoc like the plauge

SimonL
31-03-2009, 23:34
You could just magnatize. I will be able to switch up to use ANY of the 6 possibilities available with the shadowsword tank and it will look like it was "built" that way.

I did the same thing, albeit with Blu Tac lol.

and Mannimarco, you are my hero. To be even more beardy, put 4 5-man Space Marine Devastator squads in it for 15 Plasma Cannons.