PDA

View Full Version : Rarest

Apollyon
14-12-2005, 18:07
I was tooling around "stuff of legends" and was wondering what is the rarest 40K mini?? Leonatos ??? Centurius?? any info out there ?

TheSaint
14-12-2005, 19:28
I'd say Centurius. Then again, I have two ;)

Jonathan =I=
14-12-2005, 19:39
The rareest GW mini that I know of is not Centurius but rather a terminator armoured squat librarian which was never released officially and only a few were made. Ill let another person to post a pic.

Toppan
14-12-2005, 19:45
what in the...terminator armored squat librarian??? christ...i still want sqauts to come back

Locke
14-12-2005, 20:24
there were lots of minis made and never released. im sure there are only one of alot of these...

TWB
14-12-2005, 20:34
Centurius is far from rare, I think the Large scale Chaos Knight that was a staff gift is pretty rare (Or hard to get hold of as GW certificated their release and made it abundantly clear that they were not to be sold on.

The old stuff is rare just because stuff gets lost/broken/thrown away, a mint condition citadel Judge dread model is probably quite rare nowadays.

EmperorsChamp01
14-12-2005, 20:45
Waht army was centrus(Sp) made for. I have never heard of him before now.

Apollyon
14-12-2005, 20:55
Centurius is a Legion of the Damned special charcter and was THE Abaddon killer.

hospitaller
14-12-2005, 22:57
I've always wanted the marine captain from GD 98 I think he's got a storm bolter and power fist and the old backpack cloak combo but with lots of little skulls on it. But I've never come across one so I rekon he's pretty rare. Theres also the alternative Culuxes body...rare indeed!

Azrael
14-12-2005, 23:03
I dont even think I know what that other culexus looks like.

TheSaint
14-12-2005, 23:53
If the Knight is rare than the Trollslayer from last year probably is as well...

Nazguire
15-12-2005, 00:27
Centurius is a Legion of the Damned special charcter and was THE Abaddon killer.

Why be that?

jigplums
15-12-2005, 00:57
There are a huge amount of models produced by gw for special/limited release, There are many most of us would not have even heard of. I guy i know was a regional manager for gw for over 10 years and he's got multiples of practically every models ever produced in that time. For example there are about 5 special spacewolves figures he has that were only released as part of a scandanavian tour.

He has now left gw and is current on a year plus off, paying for it by slowly selling his minature collection on ebay.

Apollyon
15-12-2005, 01:40
In 2nd ed Abadddon was un-******* killable +2 save on 2d6 AND +4 psychic save, toughness 6 and 3 wounds. Centurius had a piece of wargear that auto killed if you could roll over his leadership on 3d6, not only that if you killed an enemy with it you could reserect one of your own dead, the best part is that it didn't need line of sight and you could target any model....so you kept that wall hill or other terrain feature between Centurius and Abaddon and killed him deader than hell.

Why be that?

Azrael
15-12-2005, 02:12
wow from what I have heard second edition was pretty broken, kharn and librarians come to mind.

TK421
15-12-2005, 02:16
wow from what I have heard second edition was pretty broken, kharn and librarians come to mind.

Not broken.

I prefer the term... interesting :evilgrin:

Rhamag
15-12-2005, 02:20
I have the Marine Captain from Games Day/Golden Daemon 1989 - any ideas if it's rare or not?

boogle
15-12-2005, 03:38
http://www.solegends.com/citle/le4marinecaptain.htm is that the one?

Brushmonkey
15-12-2005, 08:49
Two of the hardest minis for you, the consumers, to get are Braugh the Ogre Slave Lord, and 54mm Wood Elf female. The first because it was given to managers only, the second because we've only just recieved it!

The Wood Elf makes the Troll Vs Slayer and Chaos Knight look like botch jobs in comparison, it's awesome.

Jedi152
15-12-2005, 09:05
I'd say Centurius. Then again, I have two ;)
Don't say that!

I was there at the GW store when they were selling them, and didn't buy any 'cos i thought they looked crap.

Now i have non-buyers remorse.

TheSaint
15-12-2005, 11:28
Don't say that!

I was there at the GW store when they were selling them, and didn't buy any 'cos i thought they looked crap.

Now i have non-buyers remorse.

I thought they looked pretty cool. But oh well, it can happen.

Crube
15-12-2005, 11:36
I was working at GW MO when they were released. All the staff who worked Games day were given one...

I was covering the phones, but Gordon (Davidson) goave us all one about a week after...

Shortly after the mini sold out, we got a call from a mad guy from Sweden (as in mad=cuckoo, not mad=angry) desparate for a Centurius model...

he paid me 110 for mine, including shipping... :D

Shame really (for him), they're going on ebay for about 35-40 last time i looked... ;)

Bloodknight
15-12-2005, 12:23
HAs anybody an idea how often Centurius was made? I have one, still mint in blister.

Colonial Rifle
15-12-2005, 12:36
What about that limited run RT stuff?

I've never seen Dominators, Piscean Warriors or Squat Hovercars outside of grainy pictures.

Any of the 2nd Edition Squats or Adeptus Mechanicus stuff is like golddust.

xerxeshavelock
15-12-2005, 12:57

I have 2 of those from when I went. Think that was when Games Day was in Derby? Might try one on Ebay.

Azrael
15-12-2005, 13:13
what about that space marine whose sitting on the throne, with his two body guards. Wasnt that old marneus calgar or something?

Crube
15-12-2005, 13:15
That was available in the old blue catalogue for some time...

Still it was in about 1986 ish IIRC, so could be quie rare...I sold one on eBay last year (albeit a bit damaged) and it only got 6. (still, i got it free, so....)

Jedi152
15-12-2005, 13:22
About the rarest mini i've got is the SM captain from GD'98. And that's not particularly rare...

Which is annoying. I've seen on the shelves but for some reason or another not bought: Centurius, LE Fire Warrior, LE Marauder and Marco Columbo.

The Ape
15-12-2005, 13:47
Two of the hardest minis for you, the consumers, to get are Braugh the Ogre Slave Lord, and 54mm Wood Elf female. The first because it was given to managers only, the second because we've only just recieved it!

The Wood Elf makes the Troll Vs Slayer and Chaos Knight look like botch jobs in comparison, it's awesome.

Ah, the REAL reason you went back to work for Satan, eh, i mean GW!

Jo Bennett
15-12-2005, 14:05
The space marine Iwo Jima type diorama seems to go for quite lot on eBay, I've seen up to GBP45. I got mine in a trade for a couple of old cases. I'll be selling it when I get round to it.

Apollyon
15-12-2005, 14:56
The psychic phase was slow and could be unbalancing, but it was no more or less broken then 3/4 it's just what flavour of broken you prefer. 2nd was more of a skirmish game and more detailed 3/4 is more of a battle game and more abstract. NOW back to the topic.

Apollyon
15-12-2005, 15:09
Do you have pictures of these?

Rabid Bunny 666
15-12-2005, 15:10
well, ltdedition wise, i have the marauder, the other ones i have got popped up into conversions :D

i'd say braugh slavelord from personal experience, but the ltd Emperors champion seems to be everywhere apart from in my figure case

Str10_hurts
15-12-2005, 15:10
cortez is rare! How many people have one of those? :P

captaincortez
15-12-2005, 15:23
I must be rare, none of you have ever seen me.

Sai-Lauren
15-12-2005, 16:15

??? :confused:
Sorry, is this the staff christmas pressie or something?

Anyway, rarest released model is probably the metal Thunderhawk.

IIRC, only 100 were ever made, and there was three of them in the Ultramarines chapter diorama.

The Ape
15-12-2005, 16:53
Yeah its the staff xmas pressie - the ogre lord was managers only.

Expect a few to appear on ebay over the next few months.

t-tauri
15-12-2005, 17:49

IIRC, only 100 were ever made, and there was three of them in the Ultramarines chapter diorama.I think it was more than that and on ebay it normally fails to hit near the 400 they were originally sold for.
Leaving out (probably) unreleased stuff like the second edition squats then the rarest figures which had much of a release for 40k are probably the Piscean and the Dark Elf from the first 40k release (http://www.solegends.com/misc/first40k.htm). The Piscean because it was dropped from the rules and the Dark Elf because it didn't match the later Eldar and so was never re-released in the general 40k range like most of the others. The pirate there, a conversion of a fantasy adventurer with his sword replaced with a gun, is also pretty rare.

Outside that it's unreleased things like test models which go for high prices on ebay. The Dominators and 40k Minotaurs are also pretty unusual, but like the second edition squats they were only available to Mail Order phone customers for a month or so, so it's questionable as to whether they were actually "released" though I have had a Dominator in a blister, so it was released somewhere.

Smoking Frog
15-12-2005, 21:26
I've got a Toad Dragon (I don't even know why??), does that count?

boogle
15-12-2005, 21:30
Marneus Calgar on throne is available in the Online store, the Gold Coloured Emperors Champion on Plinth is probably the rarest model i've seen

Rhamag
16-12-2005, 05:12

Yeah! Good research. (Sorry for delay)

Crube
16-12-2005, 09:08
??? :confused:
Sorry, is this the staff christmas pressie or something?

IIRC, only 100 were ever made, and there was three of them in the Ultramarines chapter diorama.

Heh, i was one of the MO Trolls that sold them...

They were initially sold as a limited run of 400, in full felt lined wooden presentaion box with certificate etc. they retailed for 400. (it was good for your figures when you got an insane American order 4 of them...chortle)

after the switch to White metal there were an undisclosed number more produced for the same price, but IIRC without the certificate. I cant remember if they came in a shiny box...

So if you have an unmade, lead T-Hawk, with box, certificate etc then I would have thought more than 400 should be achievable. If it's a white metal one well...

ScouserInExile
16-12-2005, 12:04
what about that space marine whose sitting on the throne, with his two body guards. Wasnt that old marneus calgar or something?

I have one of those, really badly painted....

Jamz
16-12-2005, 12:31
I have one of those iwo Jima sets thats I'm willing to part with...

20th Century Boy
16-12-2005, 13:40
That was available in the old blue catalogue for some time...

Still it was in about 1986 ish IIRC, so could be quie rare...I sold one on eBay last year (albeit a bit damaged) and it only got 6. (still, i got it free, so....)Might be because they rehashed it, and it's available through the online store (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060101292&orignav=301117). New paintjob as well...

Big Papa Smurf
16-12-2005, 13:43
How about the Dwarf Juggernaut?

http://www.solegends.com/citta/ta2juggernaut.htm

Still trying to get one of these!:cries:

Crube
16-12-2005, 14:17
Might be because they rehashed it, and it's available through the online store (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060101292&orignav=301117). New paintjob as well...

Never knew that...

Could explain it...

brotherscrim
16-12-2005, 18:20
I started this hobby only a few years ago, primarily for painting purposes (I have yet to actually play, But I have a lot of figs). I got into the OOP model scene a couple years back and bought a bunch of old and "rare" models.

I have three old-school AdMech models (one of them is a squat!). I also have one chaplain, one tech marine, one apothecary, and two regular marines, all on imperial jetbikes.

Other collectables include; an Ambul fig, and one of the terminator prototypes, as well as two models that are labeled "artificer armour."

damz451
16-12-2005, 19:03
i got quite a few old/rare models, imperial guard landspeeders, old dreads, the original avatar (was just a big taller than a warlock) and lots of harlequins.

but of course rare stuff can be easily accessable but just too dam expensive such as forgeworld models, i doubt many people have warhounds or thunderhawks (official ones)

kermit
16-12-2005, 19:14
Crube:

What generation is this one?

Thunderhawk (http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-40K-Space-Marines-THUNDERHAWK-GUNSHIP-NEW_W0QQitemZ8703116352QQcategoryZ31399QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Now if I had the cash...

Rabid Bunny 666
16-12-2005, 19:31
by the looks of things, Kermit, thats one of gthe first noes, with the certificate and all, theres one like it in the marine collectors guide

cspo
16-12-2005, 19:34
mmm that looks like enough lead to poison a small village.

Jamz
16-12-2005, 20:55
this? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8739174804&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT) one of the rare dioramas?

MrChaos
05-07-2006, 07:43
You know what is the rarest,

Games Day Racing Nob

This bugger shot up to $112.39

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8830717417&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

IJW
05-07-2006, 08:56
I've got a Toad Dragon (I don't even know why??), does that count?
A general release model that was available for several years? Not particularly, it's just old. And it's not WH40K anyway...

Now, how about some early Space marines with frilly kneecaps that I can't find anywhere on Stuff of legends? One is a model of the Imperial Fist on the cover of the original RT book, the other has a four-edged chainsword.

Oops - they were in the 1988 catalogue (http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/4103spacemarines-01.jpg), so not that rare...

Son of the Lion
05-07-2006, 10:50
Someone mentioned the old Judge dredd minis in mint condition being super rare? Does that transfer into valuable? I have an old margerine tub full of the buggers....

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how much the LE Marine captain from GD yonks ago (the one with boltgun, power fist and sheathed sword) goes for? I've always wanted one of those.:)

Azrael
05-07-2006, 19:40
what is LE?

IJW
05-07-2006, 19:53
Limited Edition...

RaiderOne
05-07-2006, 21:25
my vote is on the "peter jackson the hobbit" model, only 2 ever made. Jackson got 1, warhammer world has the other :P

Fulgrim's Gimp
05-07-2006, 23:04
What about the naked Asdrubael Vect slaves which were pulled before being released and only a select few in the Studio got them ? Or the Necron lord holding his staff over his head ? Probably 40k minotaurs, I so wish I'd got one, they had heavy bolters and looked good.

Warboss Grimmtoof
06-07-2006, 02:20
Uhhh... Are those Asdrubael Vect slave models actually rare? Beacause I bought like 4 for a diorama a month ago...They are still in the online store.

Hekal Xul
06-07-2006, 08:30
I have three of the unreleased 2nd Ed Squats...Carapace Armoured Warlord, Cyberslayer (bionic trollslayer) and one of the Hearthguard. From their weight I would guess they were protos cast using tin or something similar. AFAIK that range only ever made a brief appearance in the Dark Millenium supp for 2nd edition 40K before being junked.

Also remember seeing at one point the variant Culexis Assassin mini at the local GW. Never chased up the manager about acquiring it though thinking at the time he would evenually be released as per the other three. Very nice sculpt. There are also unreleased Fire Warriors (one can be seen in the previous codex), necron warriors etc that pop up on ebay now and then.

Centurius is not that rare, being a SM character he's obviously popular but not all that hard to find (although many could be copies.......)

boogle
06-07-2006, 09:37
Uhhh... Are those Asdrubael Vect slave models actually rare? Beacause I bought like 4 for a diorama a month ago...They are still in the online store.
he means the fully naked ones that were never released due to being too risque

inq.serge
06-07-2006, 12:43
http://www.warmania.com/galerie/data/media/51/centurius.jpg

is this centurius?

Tooooon
06-07-2006, 13:15
http://www.warmania.com/galerie/data/media/51/centurius.jpg

is this centurius?

Yup thats the one. Goes on ebay at the mo for around 30-45quid O.o Sooo helpful when you cant even use him in your armies anymore though lol

Azrael
06-07-2006, 14:08
except as a sergeant or some such, were the Asdrubael models really naked? I think I would have to see that to believe it.

Great Harlequin
06-07-2006, 14:41
my vote is on the "peter jackson the hobbit" model, only 2 ever made. Jackson got 1, warhammer world has the other :P
You'll find more get out than that. GW employees cast some up in resin and turn a blind eye occasionly, and they disperse around the studio. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find more than two in existence.

Now, rarest figure? I haven't had time to read the thread, but is this a limited edition rarity contest or unreleased figure rarity?

the dark angel
06-07-2006, 16:55
the marine captain from gd 98 is rare i think i payed 60 at my store for him after begging and i offerd to work for free there on weekends for a month and now work full time there (for cash now!):D

Eversor
07-07-2006, 00:36
[snip] were the Asdrubael models really naked? I think I would have to see that to believe it.
:skull: Ask, and ye shall recieve (http://www.solegends.com/citrare/index.htm).

(Find the hidden link, i don't want to link directly on a "family" forum.)

Sekhmet
07-07-2006, 02:28
:skull: Ask, and ye shall recieve (http://www.solegends.com/citrare/index.htm).

(Find the hidden link, i don't want to link directly on a "family" forum.)

It's not even on that page. The ONLY way you find it is by knowing the URL, which is easy to find with google. Yay google.

They look just like the ones that currently come with Asdrubael vect, only they don't have tops on. Nothing very impressive... daemonettes look better.

BattleSarge
07-07-2006, 02:48
How about those three slann models from the RT days.

IJW
07-07-2006, 09:39
How about those three slann models from the RT days.
Three? Don't you mean twelve (http://www.solegends.com/citrt/tsf18spaceslann.htm)?

Festus
07-07-2006, 10:09
Hi

It's not even on that page.
The link definitely is on that page... links are underlined, you know and sometimes nearly invisible enough without the line :evilgrin:

Randallw
07-07-2006, 10:55
I wonder why the witch elves didn't get released seeing as how Morathi is just as bad, maybe worse if she isn't wearing a bra at all.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060212058&orignav=13

As for Centurius, well with my morbid fascination for all marines with bones I made a conversion seeing as I don't think it was ever available here or I never saw one.

Edit: maybe it's just subtlety. The restricted ones ARE rather in your face opposed to the subtle Morathi or deamonettes.

Jedi152
07-07-2006, 10:57
the marine captain from gd 98 is rare i think i payed 60 at my store for him after begging and i offerd to work for free there on weekends for a month and now work full time there (for cash now!):D
Really?

I've got that lying around in my bits box at home.

Arjuna
08-07-2006, 06:02
This is an interesting thread but apples and oranges being compared here.

Maybe some categorization needed.

1) Currently rarest model that was generally released

2) Model with lowest production number available for general release

3) Rarest special release obtainable by general public

4) Rarest special gift or reward for GW staff

5) Rarest test or preproduction model not owned by GW

I dont know how rare it is but one of my oddest 40k miniatures is a metal imperial gaurd beastman.