PDA

View Full Version : Dispelling and Ones

fenrisnorth
31-03-2009, 19:30
I witnessed a game this last weekend between dwarfs and tomb kings. The dwarf player had a combination of items which provided a total bonus of +3 to dispel.
Whenever the tomb king player rolled less than a five on an incantation, or used a bound spell, the dwarf player simply set aside a dispel dice to negate it without even rolling.
This didn't seem right, but I can't find anyplace in the rules that states dispel can't be automatic. For spell casting a one or a two always fails but I can find no similar rule for dispel. Likewise, for attacks, wounds, and saves a 1 always fails, but I can find no generic rule in the book that states a roll of one always fails for any roll.
Does such a rule exist and I am just missing it, or does a 1 on a dispel still succeed if you can get a high enough bonus to the roll?

Bac5665
31-03-2009, 19:32
A roll of 1 succeeds for dispelling. A roll of 2 (or more) 1s fails. Hence, many TK spells can be dispelled by simply removing a die from your DD pool.

Lord Dan
31-03-2009, 19:36
Bac is correct. Much in the way VC can use one dice to cast spells without fear of miscast, apparently Dwarves can use one dice to dispel spells without fear of mis...spell?

IrishDelinquent
31-03-2009, 19:37
The 3+ to cast rule only applies for successfully casting a spell; there is no rule regarding a 3+ minimum to dispel. The only way to automatically fail a dispel is to roll two 1's.

stripsteak
31-03-2009, 21:39
as mentioned. He was doing it right, there is no minimum to dispel. and only multiple 1s rolled are an autofail.

I'm more curious how he got +3 to dispel
the dwarfs only have access to the Master Rune of Spellbinding. and you are only allowed one of each master run per army...

fenrisnorth
31-03-2009, 22:05
Standard of Valaya and talisman of spellbinding.

stripsteak
31-03-2009, 22:11
ah hah, i missed Valaya, thats what i get for not playing dwarfs.