PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Building a Space Slann Army

petribird
31-03-2009, 21:16
So a few of my gaming buddies have suggested I try and build an entire army of conversions to keep me busy (the game room is starting to overflow with terrain). Being a player back from the RT days I was thinking of either Slann or Jakearo. Since Lizzies already exist I was thinking of going the Slann route, especially as I can't think of a good way to do space Orangutans (although suggestions on minis for that might get the ideas going). So, if I go with Slann, and more specifically I'm envisioning it as a Slann raiding force, two major questions:

1) What minis are appropriate? Should I use nothing but skinks, similar to the old RT days, or does a Slann and Saurus seem reasonable? I'm leaning more towards just skinks at the moment.

2) What Codex do I use (counts as)

Daemons: Currently what I'm thinking as everyone has an invulnerable save, similar to the old displacer fields the Slann had. Further given there command of the warp, the all deepstrike seems appropriate as a raiding force, I was going to model the chaos icon as some sort of warp gadget on one of the troops. I would use mostly horrors (shuriken armed skinks) and daemonettes (twin 'power sword' armed skinks). Heralds could be either heavy weapon troops or 'priests'. If I include non-skinks Saurus would seem appropriate for Bloodletters, Kroxigors as Bloodcrushers and the Slann a greater daemon of Tzeench.

Eldar: Dire Avengers as shuriken armed skinks, Harlies as sword armed skinks. Farseer/Warlocks as Priests. I could even see a skink on some variant of a jetbike and some sort of waveserpent. Lastly, a stegadon seems like a great choice for a wraithlord, put some sort of turret where the howdah would go. Biggest problem with this army would be making the Dire Avenger skinks look like they have 4+ armor and coming up with skimmers (total scratch build, some sort of heavy conversion). I could use Saurus probably as Striking Scorpions also.

Dark Eldar: Wyches would make great sword armed skinks, actually this army would be almost totally based around that concept. Much like the eldar concept I think some sort of skink on a bike could be done and I could do a skimmer conversion, complete with warp gate in the vehicle where the skinks pop out of. Only real problem is there really aren't any units that scream psyker. If I add other lizzies I could see Saurus as Incubus.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Lord Damocles
31-03-2009, 21:22
Slaan are probably a better idea for an army than Jokkaero since Jokkearo tended to go around in small familly groups (with Macro Cannons!) rather than armies IIRC.

For Slaan models, how about something like Kroot bodies as the base, with the head (and legs?) of an old-style Saurus Warrior (the short hunched ones with the small heads and round shields).

EDIT: Wheee! Slaan:
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/tsf18spaceslann.htm

EDIT 2: Old style Saurus:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warhammer-Lizardmen-Saurus-Warriors-Old-style_W0QQitemZ260383936599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_T oys_Wargames_RL?hash=item260383936599&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

DaR
01-04-2009, 04:46
One of the guys in the Seattle area has built a whole biker marine list using mostly Lizardman models.

He's got Saurus on Cold Ones as his basic bikes, with salamanders or the new razordons as multimeltas and heavy bolters for his attack bikes. The saurus's themselves have been given marine chestplates and shoulderpads.

His Librarian is a Slann priest, with the psychic hood modeled via tubing and arcane-type wiring to his floating platform.

Kroxigors serve as terminators and are converted to be wearing most of a terminator suit.

His landraider is converted from a Necron Monolith, with aztec inspired markings and vines growing over it.

The dreadnought is a Carnosaur, wearing most of the upper half of the dreadnought like a suit of armor.

The new stegadon is the basis for most of the rhino-chassis vehicles, including a predator conversion.

Finally, he's got skinks as scouts, riding something converted from an early edition landspeeder to more closely resembled a swamp boat.

It's taken him about 3 years at this point, but he's finally nearly done with the majority of it. It's a stunningly converted and painted army, the sort that wins Player's Choice at tourneys.

-DaR

BigRob
01-04-2009, 09:01
Argh, there is a whole range of giant Scifi space gorillas out there and I can't remember which system it is for, Warzone or something like that. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.

They were very good and had a range of vehicles and other cool things.

Dr. Hellbeast
01-04-2009, 09:23
Hi, petribird.

I recently thought about having a pop at making some Jokaero using Ogre Kingdoms Yhetees as base models. Just Orangutanify their faces a bit with some green stuff.

Pacific
01-04-2009, 10:24
Argh, there is a whole range of giant Scifi space gorillas out there and I can't remember which system it is for, Warzone or something like that. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.

They were very good and had a range of vehicles and other cool things.

Indeed, thats the Kharmans from AT-43

Awesome idea! I thought that Jokaero as a species basically spent their time hanging around in trees, eating leaves and picking their noses, before coming down to the ground and producing a piece of technology vastly superior to anything the imperium could manage? I don't think that kind of character would be ideal for a strike force! :)

I think any of your 3 suggestions would work - I would suggess knocking up a few test minis and seeing how they turn out. Perhaps when you have a few made, you will get some feeling for their character and decide upon what rules set is most appropriate?

pookie
01-04-2009, 12:16
Indeed, thats the Kharmans from AT-43

Awesome idea! I thought that Jokaero as a species basically spent their time hanging around in trees, eating leaves and picking their noses, before coming down to the ground and producing a piece of technology vastly superior to anything the imperium could manage? I don't think that kind of character would be ideal for a strike force! :)

I think any of your 3 suggestions would work - I would suggess knocking up a few test minis and seeing how they turn out. Perhaps when you have a few made, you will get some feeling for their character and decide upon what rules set is most appropriate?

not so much they produce better equipment, but on a much smaller scale, thast what they are really known for, that and being immpossible to imprison :evilgrin:

the only problem id have with Skinks is there size ( TLOS rules etc etc ), imo Sauras would be much closer to the correct size of a slann, even tho skins may appear to be closer to them.

captainramoz
01-04-2009, 12:20
Making space orangutans is not that hard just get some orks and ogre kingdom jetis and greenstuf the orks