PDA

View Full Version : Trees? Seriously?

Sttucker13
01-04-2009, 00:30
Why does the Dark Eldar battleforce contain PLASTIC TREES?

Unclejo
01-04-2009, 00:31
In the grim darkness of the far future there is always foliage.

SimonL
01-04-2009, 00:35
They're really camoflaged mandrakes?

They ran out plastic models to include I assume lol

adreal
01-04-2009, 00:36
Ye old battleforces used to contain something like that, either tree's or those old school ruins

Sttucker13
01-04-2009, 00:38
Ye old battleforces used to contain something like that, either tree's or those old school ruins

No kidding? Nice to see one of the races keepin' it old school. *shakes head*

AbyssRaven
01-04-2009, 00:41
No kidding? Nice to see one of the races keepin' it old school. *shakes head*

Dark Eldar are retro kings

ScytheSwathe
01-04-2009, 00:43

WIN!!!!

*filler*

The Laughing God
01-04-2009, 01:26
Just proves how badly the Dark Eldar need an update!

Makiaveli
01-04-2009, 02:11
Consider it a bonus? :p

Nexus Trimean
01-04-2009, 02:19
They are Ecologically Minded. Maybe this is a Trend GW is "Going Green"

MadJackMcJack
01-04-2009, 02:22
Maybe GW got confused and thought Dark Eldar were space Wood Elves?

ehlijen
01-04-2009, 02:30
All the 3rd ed battleforces* contained either a set of trees (barely enough to make a small shrubbery) or a pair of building corner ruins. The IG ones currently still do, though that'll change pretty soon, as it has for all battleforces released during 4th ed.

*I don't know if the necrons do. If not, they're the exception.

Nym
01-04-2009, 02:35
Those trees make great hats for Ork Kommandos conversions... :D

Starchild
01-04-2009, 04:25
Those trees make great hats for Ork Kommandos conversions... :D

Or base foilage for Catachan heavy weapon teams? ;)

I'm glad GW ditched the silly plastic trees. Jungle flora with gothic ruins looked very wacky; why the Design Team put up with that for so long is beyond my comprehension.

Anyway, it's quite easy to make very convincing jungle trees with the plastic aquarium plants found at some pet stores.

gothgar
01-04-2009, 05:18

:D

good times, trees are also almost as good armor as power armor too!

Used Car Salesman
01-04-2009, 05:51
:D

good times, trees are also almost as good armor as power armor too!

Actually better, just look at shooting lascannons and rocket launchers at them.

But yeah the whole terrain in the battleforce never made sense to me. It was in the starter set for 5th Fantasy too, except there were cardboard ruins that folded and fit together. Such a weird idea.

ehlijen
01-04-2009, 07:00
How is it not a decent idea? Everyone can always use another ruin or two, or some tree bits. It's not like those boxes weren't good deals even without those things.

Splata
01-04-2009, 07:46
ruins are so much better than trees though.

Plus it is really treally difficult to get the to stand up. It looks like a hurricane just came through

Lord Solar Plexus
01-04-2009, 08:16
Why does the Dark Eldar battleforce contain PLASTIC TREES?

Every battleforce should include SOME nice "models". ;)

BigRob
01-04-2009, 08:56
The battleforce was released at the start of 3rd edition and hasn't changed since.

Third edition marked the end of cardboard terrain sets which IMO is a shame since they were excellent. The old 2nd edition box had contained a large number of cardboard ruins, so instead the third edition had a set of the new plastic ruins and a set of the new plastic trees. If you look through the DE book and some of the others released around that time you will see hundreds of these trees used to make terrain (and IIRC they are still available).

The battleforces all contained either the ruins or the trees or the battlefield accessory set. This meant that as well as your miniatures you had some scenery for your board, diorama etc etc. Then around 4th edition GW decided to stop giving away these little extras and it stopped.

They were quite nice little models for the time, you just need alot of them.

battle captain corpus
01-04-2009, 10:34
<shrugs> who cares, free basing material at worst!

Corpus

Jellicoe
01-04-2009, 13:28
terrain is always handy as extras in a battalion box as terrain is normally accorded a lower purchase priority by the average gamer. I have got excellent usage from the ruins that used to be provided and make nice small corner pieces as part of a larger city fight environment

rarely play anything but cities of death these days. never used the jungle trees but bound to be a use for them

Captain Micha
01-04-2009, 14:20
Get your DE sets now. Those trees will be valuable some day (they are the only BF with them at this point... I rather like the trees. I'd get it for the trees, Raider, and Reavers myself... the Warriors can go to hell because they look terrible. Like almost everything else in that army)

Born Again
01-04-2009, 15:47
Hey they were useful back in the days when area terrain didn't use TLOS. Tree on each corner, voila! instant jungle! Now you can't even hide a small squad behind them.

Terrain is always good, but I'd prefer them to just throw some more models into my battleforces. If I want terrain, I'll buy it separately.

Chem-Dog
01-04-2009, 15:59
Battle-force terrain was great, remember most players (especially SM and DE players) would have already had the stuff that came with the 3rd Ed boxed game, so this was bulking out your terrain set at the same time as bulking out your army.

I happen to like those trees too, sufficiently based they can make an extremely good looking area terrain and it is nice, sometimes, to to have to fight over the war-torn remains of some Imperial installation or city.
Beneficial to Catachans and Kroot too!

Also sufficiently generic enough to be used in WHFB games.

LonelyPath
01-04-2009, 18:56
Just glue a piece f foliage to the base of each DE mini in the battleforce and argue it's their mobile cover save. it'd be worth a laugh :D