PDA

View Full Version : what is the easiest and/or fastest figurine to paint?

Shadowsinner
01-04-2009, 02:14
simple as the title... whats the easiest or fastest model youve ever painted? and what is the hardest?

LKHERO
01-04-2009, 02:28
A Bloodletter.

Chaos Black Primer.
Drybrush Red Gore.
Light black ink wash.

lol.

Stuffburger
01-04-2009, 02:35
It's a pretty subjective question, depending a lot on how much detail and care you put into it, but I'd say the easiest things to paint are tyranids, plaguebearers and other things you just basecoast, drybrush and wash for a good effect. Fastest would just be whatever tiny snotling or something.

Hardest... well, maybe the 17th goblin you've painted that night and your eyes are crossing and hands are cramping.

SimonL
01-04-2009, 02:51
Skaven slaves

-paint Vermin Brown
-paint shacked and speartip Boltgun
-Slather with Flesh wash

Seriously, I have over 80 of them, each more identical then the last :D I was not spending time on that...

Worst was 65 plague monks, I had to keep mixing new batchs of paint to match the rest...

Chicago Slim
01-04-2009, 03:05
I'm finally getting around to painting the plastic goblin spearmen who came in the 4th (?) ed box set. It's going at about 2 hours for 25 reasonably well-painted gobbos (black primer, 3-layer shading on the skin, simple mouths and eyes, some grey highlights on the clothes, fur trim on the boots, a few metal highlights, and a badab black wash overall). That's around 10 minutes per figure, which is the faster I've ever done in 15 years of painting-- and this doesn't include time spent basing, nor the (optional) shields, nor the re-modeling of the weapons (cutting the spears and replacing them with hand weapons-- in my case, wrenches from a dollhouse kit).

Zarryiosiad
01-04-2009, 03:09
Run of the mill skeletons. White primer, Devlan Mud wash, touchup with Bone White and done.

Zarry

Erie Ed
01-04-2009, 03:56
speaking of painting does anyone know of any good painting guides?

Emeraldw
01-04-2009, 04:18
Run of the mill skeletons. White primer, Devlan Mud wash, touchup with Bone White and done.

Zarry

Got one easier, Charcoal Dryads. Black Primer, Drybrush skull white. Wash if you want.

GreenSpeed
01-04-2009, 04:24
easiest are skull pass night goblins painted 2000 pts worth very quickly

Shadowsinner
01-04-2009, 04:27
speaking of painting does anyone know of any good painting guides?

www.coolminiornot.com has some great articles and a million and one links to different painting sites and blogs.

Erie Ed
01-04-2009, 04:34
www.coolminiornot.com has some great articles and a million and one links to different painting sites and blogs.

danke!!!!!!

Emeraldw
01-04-2009, 04:43

That site has me crying over how poorly I paint. :cries:

Shadowsinner
01-04-2009, 04:49
That site has me crying over how poorly I paint. :cries:

haha yea just remember to check your ego at the door... or you might come out without it

badgeraddict
01-04-2009, 09:43
A Bretonnian Knight.

...not.

Zombies I guess, green with green highlights and ink.

Griefbringer
01-04-2009, 09:48
Knights in full plate armour tend to be pretty straightforward, though their horses can be trickier.

chivalrous
01-04-2009, 10:30
Easiest? My 2nd editon Necrons. Black undercoat, drybrushed Amethyst Purple and Midnight Blue and Burnished Gold trimmings.

Hardest... Gamesday Wolfpriest, I Reeeaaalllly didn't want to screw that one up.

Crube
01-04-2009, 10:50
A couple spring to mind.

Skellies, as have previously been mentioned, but also Dwarf Iron Breakers. Black undercoat, drybrush up throught the silvers, then a wash, et voila.

40K wise, Necrons...

Zarryiosiad
01-04-2009, 10:52
Easiest? My 2nd editon Necrons. Black undercoat, drybrushed Amethyst Purple and Midnight Blue and Burnished Gold trimmings.
Reminds me of something that happened at a local 40K tourney. Rules state that miniatures have to be fully painted. So a guy shows up with bare metal necrons and tries to enter, claiming that the miniatures come out of the package pre-painted in metallics.

Zarry

zak
01-04-2009, 11:00
Undead ghosts. Really simple yet very effective. Undercoat white, mix of washes and a quick drybrush!

Deetwo
01-04-2009, 12:14
Spirit hosts, skeletons, banshee, wraiths (I've managed a full 2k VC army from box to ready in 4 days..)
Unless we bring 40k in as well, then it's necrons all the way.

syrme
01-04-2009, 13:11
Dyrads and treekin/treemen would paint up very quickly to TT standard.

lord ugwart
01-04-2009, 14:03
quickest for me would have to be night goblins. Elves seem to take forever, a shame as i'm going to collect a 500pt wood elf border patrol:eek:

mweaver
01-04-2009, 14:05
I'd say skelliles: cream undercoat, washed with burnt umber (Devlan Mud makes them a tad shiney - I liked that aged look!), paint the weapons.

Dryads are easy too, of course, but a couple of different shades of drybrushing is a tad slower than a single wash.

Hardest... for basic troopers, probably the plastic wood elves. They have very layered clothes. Of course you could paint all of those layers one color, but they look so much better if you paint them differnt complimentary shades.

Empire figures with puffy sleeves can be quite slow, or not, depending on your paint scheme.

PARTYCHICORITA
01-04-2009, 14:07
Ghouls: bleach bone, then flesh wash and you are pretty much done.

N810
01-04-2009, 14:11
Snotling,
paint it green,
and your done.

a squig
01-04-2009, 15:25
My lizards 5 quick easy steps

1. spray white
2. ink blue
3. ink spines purple
4. paint wepons gold
5. base

Anaris
01-04-2009, 15:32
Lord of the Rings Army of the Dead

Spray White, Green Wash, Done

It literally takes longer for the spray/wash to dry than paint them.

IcedCrow
01-04-2009, 15:36
Skeletons for me.

Prime white spray.
Diluted brown ink body and spear handles.
Black the tip of the spear.
Drybrush metal on the spear head.
Drybrush bone white on skeleton.
Drybrush white on skeleton.
Flock base.

Overall time to paint one depends on the time it takes ink to dry. Very little detail work needs done and using the above method makes some fantastic looking skeletons.

tortoise
01-04-2009, 16:13
Assuming that any model is easy if you don't have some minum level of an acceptable result I'd say the easiest to paint that still look pretty cool must be dryads. Black undercoat, drybrush brown (with extra layers of ochre or gey added to taste). They just pip skellies to the post since even skellies have some decorations and equipment that makes them a little more complex than just basecoat and wash or drybrush.

Semiholy243
01-04-2009, 17:52
horrors ;)

cuz it doesn't matter what you do.

just go jackson pollock on their asses with three different colors and bamf, done. lol

Shiodome
01-04-2009, 18:18
hardest to paint, hmm.... for me i'd have to say the plastic giant. tiny details/freehand are no problem for me, but getting a smooth blend over the massive areas of skin was really hard.

i guess that means the hardest for me that require totally different painting styles to normal. (i find tanks really hard too, simply because i don't like drybrushing, but consistant blening over massive smooth areas is tough)

MarcoPollo
01-04-2009, 22:44
Nurgling bases.

Green base.

Small simple highlights.

Meant to look sloppy.

StormCrow
01-04-2009, 22:59
Easiest model I've painted to date was skeletons, the bone takes about 1/2 an hour, the only time consuming part is picking out the headress details.

Hardest would be grail knights, so much detail to paint (not helped by giving them white robes)

mweaver
02-04-2009, 02:43
tortoise: "[Dryads] just pip skellies to the post since even skellies have some decorations and equipment that makes them a little more complex than just basecoat and wash or drybrush."

I pondered the eternal skellie-vs.-dryad dilemma before my previous post. Skellies have weapons and the odd bit of armor, but the dryads have little tiny leaves and those forest munchkin thingies. So I think skellies are easier. I am talking about the long-serving plastic regiment that was recently replaced - not the new ones. The latest plastic skellies are much more fussy, and dryads beat them hands (branches?) down.

The army of the dead dudes are (ahem) dead easy too, but they aren't Warhammer figgies.

jason
02-04-2009, 04:00
Pretty much any model that doesn't wear alot of clothes/armor. All you need is base coat, wash, and highlight. Add details and you are done. As already mentioned, these include skeletons, dryads, lizards, khorne daemons, ghouls, etc.

tortoise
02-04-2009, 08:30
tortoise: "[Dryads] just pip skellies to the post since even skellies have some decorations and equipment that makes them a little more complex than just basecoat and wash or drybrush."

I pondered the eternal skellie-vs.-dryad dilemma before my previous post. Skellies have weapons and the odd bit of armor, but the dryads have little tiny leaves and those forest munchkin thingies. So I think skellies are easier. I am talking about the long-serving plastic regiment that was recently replaced - not the new ones. The latest plastic skellies are much more fussy, and dryads beat them hands (branches?) down.

True. I painted my wood elf army as quickly as possible so for the leaves I just kind of overbrushed green on top of the base coat- the brown still shows through in the deep central crease giving it a bit of definition. Its definately a close call between the 2 though.