PDA

View Full Version : Question about Orks in non-English 40K.

Occulto
01-04-2009, 03:48
A question for the bilingual speakers on these forums.

Whenever Orks speak in 40K, they always use corrupted language. So you'll see "rokkits" instead of rockets, "blasta" instead of blaster, "fings" instead of things and so on.

How's this handled in non-English versions of 40K, ie French or German? Is it the same? What are some examples?

SimonL
01-04-2009, 03:56
Well, in Canada all Ork speech is followed by "eh" and "don'tcha know". :D

Occulto
01-04-2009, 04:05
Well, in Canada all Ork speech is followed by "eh" and "don'tcha know". :D

*nothing but pained groans from the crowd* :p

Nym
01-04-2009, 04:27
I think I saw a thread like this somewhere in the fluff section.

Anyway, french orks speak a mix of slang and childish language. The sound [k] is almost always represented by a "K" (just like in english) and they make an abusive use of contraction.

French Orkish language : "On va krabouiller l'univers et zigouiller ceux ki la ramèn'ront. On est lé z'orks, on a été kréés pour s'batt' et gagner."

French informal language : "On va écrabouiller l'univers, et tuer ceux qui la ramèneront. On est les orks, on a été créés pour se battre et gagner."

Ecrabouiller is a childish term, we would rather use écraser which means "to crush". Same goes for zigouiller, which is both a slang for "to kill" and a term used by children because it sounds funny and far less dramatic than the action it actually represents.

English : "We iz gonna stomp da ‘ooniverse flat an’ kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz’ we’re Orks an’ we was made ta fight an’ win!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
01-04-2009, 04:30
This is one of the most intellectually stimulating threads I've ever seen. Occulto, please step forward to claim your Interwebz.

tuebor
01-04-2009, 04:33
Well, in Minnesota all Ork speech is followed by "eh" and "don'tcha know". :D

Fixed.

In French they do to a point. I don't have the Ork codex in French but I have the IG codex and what bits about the Orks in there at least have the names in similar "Ork-speak".

Also, looking at the GW-France site there are things like "lance rokettes" instead of "lance roquettes" and "kopter" instead of "copter" "chok" instead of "choque" and so on.

Oddly enough the Shock Attack Gun is called a Shock Attack Gun in French.

edit: Ninja'd regarding French Orks

Occulto
01-04-2009, 04:40
Thanks guys, that's pretty interesting.

Any German, Spanish or Japanese speakers?

Hellebore
01-04-2009, 04:46
edit: Ninja'd regarding French Orks

Holy crap! French Ninja Orks! Mondieu! Sacré bleu! Fire ze missiles! But I am le tired. Ok have a nap - then FIRE ZE MISSILES!

Sorry. :angel:

I'd make a joke about Australian orks talking like this:

"Crikey! Dis is da BIGGEST Ravena I'z eva SEEN! Strooth 'e's gonna av a go if I'z not karful. Neva pick up a Ravena by da tail like I iz doin' cuz e'll take yer spleen right owt. Yooz won't be able ta see an ork abowt a squig eva again."

Common statement made Stabba Urzwin Da 'Nid Hunta

But if Canadian jokes won't work Australian ones aren't going to either.:p

Hellebore

Nym
01-04-2009, 04:48
I can tell you How it looks like in orkspanish :D

Orkspanish:
Loz humanejoz zon rozaz y zuavez, no fuertez y verdez komo loz chikoz. Y komo todoz tienen el mizmo tamaño, ziempre dizkuten sobre kien ez el ke manda.

Spanish:
Los humanos son rosas y suaves, no fuertes y verdes como los chicos. Y como todos tienen el mismo tamaño, siempre discuten sobre quien es el que manda.

English:
The humans are pink and soft, not strong and green like the boyz. And because all of them have the same size, they allways argue about who is in charge.

Most changes are S to Z and C to K. And they also use childish/slanglike terms.

http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3389977&postcount=26

You will notice that the "boyz" are named "chicos" in spanish, while they keep their english name in the french version (they're still called Boyz, be it regular Boyz, Kramboyz [Burnaboyz], Chokboyz [Stormboyz], etc...).

I find the idea of Orks calling themselves "chicos" really hillarious. :D I imagine a bunch of boyz with sombreros and panchos and just laugh out loud. :p

Lord Dan
01-04-2009, 05:20
"Crikey! Dis is da BIGGEST Ravena I'z eva SEEN! Strooth 'e's gonna av a go if I'z not karful. Neva pick up a Ravena by da tail like I iz doin' cuz e'll take yer spleen right owt. Yooz won't be able ta see an ork abowt a squig eva again."

You could de-Orkify that and I still don't think I'd know what you were on about. :p

Though I admit the late Mr. Erwin blessed my generation with the definition of "Crikey".

Hellebore
01-04-2009, 05:24
Well to be fair the last Australianism isn't even very well known amongst Australians anymore, and I intentionally orkified it anyway.

The original one is 'see a man about a wallaby' and derivations thereof. It means I need to pee. Point Percy at the porcelain is also a good one.

Helleboer

Lord Dan
01-04-2009, 05:57
I'd heard "see a man about a wallaby" before, but I thought it meant something entirely different than it evidently does.

Solar_Eclipse
01-04-2009, 06:53
I'd heard "see a man about a wallaby" before, but I thought it meant something entirely different than it evidently does.

Like all Slang, its made up to have an utterly ambiguous meaning so we can annoy tourists.

Koala clubbing is my favorite, by far.

Ive used it on around 4 groups of tourists by far and so far all the results have been hilarious!

Teccala
01-04-2009, 07:17
TBH french orks are not funny.
Remember the post about Eldar Scorpions "dakka comes outta my face" ? This one was funny as hell, and it's a pity that a translation just can't be achieved without loosing that "thing" (can't find my words), that Orkish taste we all know.

(Where did I heard "Fire the missile" btw ? Ridiculous... Was it a game ? Argh can't remember...)

Eulenspiegel
01-04-2009, 08:13
In german it´s handled quite straightforward, that is to say it´s almost a 1:1 translation of english-ork language (if you get what I mean).
The german ork language is handled the same way the english ork is. Words are abbreviated the way they´re pronounced by a sloppy speaker, colloquial words are being used to great effect, and so on.

I think it sounds rather silly in german, though. The english-ork sounds brutal, to the point, coarse and uneducated. German-ork just sounds as if they are stupid.

Another thing is the unnecessary translation of substantives (literal they are, though). Choppa becomes a Spalta, a Shoota becomes a Wumme.

I like the original better.

Radium
01-04-2009, 08:16
From the BfBR box (dutch version), in the regalboek (which probably should be regelboek, dutch for rule book): "Laten we wat mensjes platstampen" (Let's stomp some humies)
In regular dutch: "Laten we wat mensjes platstampen"

Obviously, dutch orks are much more civilised than all of their other counterparts combined.
Needless to say, I prefer the english version (in all things) and my local gaming group just uses the dutch version of the rules to have some fun.

B30
01-04-2009, 08:24
Also, looking at the GW-France site there are things like "lance rokettes" instead of "lance roquettes" and "kopter" instead of "copter" "chok" instead of "choque" and so on.
Oddly enough the Shock Attack Gun is called a Shock Attack Gun in French.

"kopter" is even a contraction of "hélicoptère" (chopper).

They also often replace "de" (of) by "eud'" , eg in "Kanon eud'la mort" (Deffkanon in english I think), Dred eud'la mort.

Sometimes the "orkish touch" is lost in translation, as for the lootas who becomes the "pillards" (correct word for "looters"), or Flash Gitz who are translated as "frimeurs" (again, correct word).

Some words aren'r translated, like the shock attack gun, as already said, or the clans names (Blood axes,...), or others (truks,...) .

All in all, orkish language is quite fun to read in french, and very reckognisable (is that a word? O_o).

Grimtuff
01-04-2009, 08:32
I'd make a joke about Australian orks talking like this:

Common statement made Stabba Urzwin Da 'Nid Hunta

Yahk yahk yahk!

Was he last seen in the sights of a certain Tau super heavy? :p;)

What? Too soon?

chromedog
01-04-2009, 08:59
Nah, wasn't a superheavy that got Irwin.

It was a puppetshow.

Stingray.

Industrial Propaganda
01-04-2009, 09:09
Orks also use a stupid or trash french sometimes :p

For example, they call the Eldars Tapet' what means something like "Homosexuals" (queens or queers in english I think) or they say Télà-Tépulà for a teleporter what means "Tu es là - tu es plus là" (You're here - you're gone).

Lothlanathorian
01-04-2009, 09:40
Yahk yahk yahk!
/

What? Too soon?

LOL

You inconsiderate bastard, how dare you amuse me so!!:p

And we need people to post in other languages broken by the Orks.

And the 'dakka comes outta ma face' sig, who's is that? It's totally one of my favs here and I always forget who it belongs to when I need to find it lol

Radium
01-04-2009, 10:38
It's from the "Scorpions are the orkiest unit in the game" post by Kikkoman. Truly epic win!

And yes, I really know that by heart.

landingshortly
01-04-2009, 10:51
in German, they also speak kinda funny...

there are the boyz and nobz but also...

Plünderaz ... should be Plünderer ... = lootaz
Wummä ... should be Wumme (actually a word for gun I would never use) = the std orc gun

and they speak all funny, replacing e with ä very often, z instead of s, k instead of ch ...

isaac
01-04-2009, 10:58
Nobz are called Bosse in german

Tonberry
01-04-2009, 11:20
Hmm, what about languages that don't use the alphabet, like Japanese? Would the symbols *hooray for technical vocabulary* be replaced randomly with Orky glyphs or something?

Azhrarn
01-04-2009, 11:35
Hmm, what about languages that don't use the alphabet, like Japanese? Would the symbols *hooray for technical vocabulary* be replaced randomly with Orky glyphs or something?

I believe the Japanese use a more or less a phonetic script for non-japanese words. (that's Kana I believe), so that wouldn't be to hard to use. They'd just have to figure out a way of making it sound coarse and crude while still retaining some of its meaning.

Lord of ???
01-04-2009, 11:49
I believe the Japanese use a more or less a phonetic script for non-japanese words. (that's Kana I believe), so that wouldn't be to hard to use. They'd just have to figure out a way of making it sound coarse and crude while still retaining some of its meaning.

So like a standard tourist reading from a Japanese guide book?

Azhrarn
01-04-2009, 12:23
So like a standard tourist reading from a Japanese guide book?

:D Yeah, that would probably do the trick quite nicely.

Hellebore
01-04-2009, 13:09
Yahk yahk yahk!

What? Too soon?

Originally I was going to say "Last Words of Stabba Urzwin Da Nid Hunta" but changed my mind...

Hellebore

Born Again
01-04-2009, 13:37
Well to be fair the last Australianism isn't even very well known amongst Australians anymore, and I intentionally orkified it anyway.

The original one is 'see a man about a wallaby' and derivations thereof. It means I need to pee. Point Percy at the porcelain is also a good one.

Helleboer

Lived in Australia my whole life and never heard 'see a man about a wallaby'. Learn something new every day.

Yahk yahk yahk!

What? Too soon?

Oh no, quite soon enough to laugh about it, or at least for me.

Kurisu313
01-04-2009, 14:15
Based on what I know of Japanese, I imagine japanese orks would talk mainly in katakana, using the most informal form of japanese words.

Corrode
01-04-2009, 14:19
Does GW even have a Japanese presence?

Kurisu313
01-04-2009, 14:22
Does GW even have a Japanese presence?

Does this answer your question?

http://jp.games-workshop.com/

Xelloss
01-04-2009, 14:37
You take a teenager in the street, you ask him to write you something by SMS, and you're not far from french-orkish... :D

Corrode
01-04-2009, 14:38
Does this answer your question?

http://jp.games-workshop.com/

Why yes, yes it does.

Nachtmeister
01-04-2009, 17:02
As has been mentioned before German Orks sound rather stupid and childish.
However I think there are two notifyable exceptions.
The first one is the "Snotzogga" which is the tranlation for Shokk Attakk Gun but that rather means "Grotlauncha" if translated back into proper English.
The other one is "Panzaschwein", which I think everyone can guess what that means.

Grimtuff
01-04-2009, 17:31
The other one is "Panzaschwein", which I think everyone can guess what that means.

Tankbustas have always been translated a "Panzerknackers" (or something like that) on the packaging, which is much better and more Orky IMO. :p

Nym
01-04-2009, 17:37

Well, I studied german for 10 years and I can't guess for sure. :p Gotta love the french educational system...

Does it mean Tankbustas ?

Edit : ninja'd :(

Grimtuff
01-04-2009, 18:38
Well, I studied german for 10 years and I can't guess for sure. :p Gotta love the french educational system...

Does it mean Tankbustas ?

Edit : ninja'd :(

Just done a bit of researching. "Schwein" is obviously pig, so apparently "Panzaschwein" are Cyboars/Boarboyz.

Though why "Panza"? I thought it was "Panzer" as in Tank. German is confusing sometimes. :p

solkan
01-04-2009, 18:39
The nice thing about the Japanese website is that they have the Japanese codices and army books (but not the rulebooks) available for download in their "resource download" section.

For the Orkish 'terms' those all appear to be done as katakana transliterations of the English words. As far as the Ork quotes...

I'm looking at the Painboy quote and I'm not sure if they just decided to make up stuff or not. Looking at some of the other quotes, like for the boyz 'Oomans' gets rendered as 'ingen' (corruption of ningen), so the Ork quotes are definitely contrasted with the Imperial quotes. I just don't have any real knowledge of Japanese dialects or accents so I can't tell if the Orks are being written in imitation of anything specific.

warmaster_dan
01-04-2009, 18:48
Though why "Panza"? I thought it was "Panzer" as in Tank. German is confusing sometimes. :p

I would think the 'a' is part of the Ork spelling :p

Sttucker13
01-04-2009, 18:59
[url]
I find the idea of Orks calling themselves "chicos" really hillarious. :D I imagine a bunch of boyz with sombreros and panchos and just laugh out loud. :p

This. Oh god. This. Sombrero wearing orks. I love it. Do it now.

Onidan
01-04-2009, 20:10

Panzer means both tank and armor. Brustpanzer is breastplate for example. Gepanzert means armored etc.

Grimtuff
01-04-2009, 22:15
Panzer means both tank and armor. Brustpanzer is breastplate for example. Gepanzert means armored etc.

I see. You learn something new everyday. Well, when it's from a language you have not studied since A Level it's not hard! :p

isaac
01-04-2009, 22:25
Or don't expect to learn a language through Orks...

Kelderaith
01-04-2009, 22:51
Also if I can add my own little touch to this discussion, French Orks sound terribly French (I say that being a Quebequer, aka Canadian French). I know it might sound a bit redundant to you guys but France is just one of the many countries who speak French as a national language and thus variation in the language is just bound to happen. This is not really meant to be an insult or anything, but I find it really does lack "substance" when you cannot connect whatsoever with their language (French Ork) because it just sounds like French "argot" instead of "joual" from Quebec. Of course, I would not expect GW to do Quebec version of Codeci as we are barely 7 millions in the province but I was just sharing that it really creates a gap in my opinion. I highly prefer English Orks for that reason (amongst other reasons really).

MacVurrich
01-04-2009, 23:37
From the BfBR box (dutch version), in the regalboek (which probably should be regelboek, dutch for rule book): "Laten we wat mensjes platstampen" (Let's stomp some humies)
In regular dutch: "Laten we wat mensjes platstampen"

Obviously, dutch orks are much more civilised than all of their other counterparts combined.
Needless to say, I prefer the english version (in all things) and my local gaming group just uses the dutch version of the rules to have some fun.

OR
the true language of the Orks is Hollans/Nederlands
;)

Or don't expect to learn a language through Orks...

ORKS - the Rosetta Stone of 40K :)

Xelloss
01-04-2009, 23:41
Also if I can add my own little touch to this discussion, French Orks sound terribly French (I say that being a Quebequer, aka Canadian French). I know it might sound a bit redundant to you guys but France is just one of the many countries who speak French as a national language and thus variation in the language is just bound to happen. This is not really meant to be an insult or anything, but I find it really does lack "substance" when you cannot connect whatsoever with their language (French Ork) because it just sounds like French "argot" instead of "joual" from Quebec. Of course, I would not expect GW to do Quebec version of Codeci as we are barely 7 millions in the province but I was just sharing that it really creates a gap in my opinion. I highly prefer English Orks for that reason (amongst other reasons really).
No hard feelings, as a metropolitan french I have quite the same opinion. English ork feels like alien species that cannot articulate the language. French ork sounds just childish.

Nym
02-04-2009, 00:49
No hard feelings, as a metropolitan french I have quite the same opinion.

You'd have to be quite insane not to agree that french Orks sound stupid contrary to their english counterparts !

Unfortunately, this isn't restricted to Warhammer. French translations are usually* incredibly poor, be if for movies, books or video games.

I remember watching the canadian french (Québec) version of V for Vendetta and Lord of War, and being quite amazed by the quality of the translation. Then I bought the DvD in France (stupid me...) and the translation made me want to jump off a bridge.

*more than 50% of the time

Razarael
02-04-2009, 13:42
I knew buying the starter set here would come in handy. I have the box set mini rule book in Japanese, so I looked at the Ork stuff at the back, and translated from Katakana into Romaji. Note, Katakana is one of the 2 main syllabaries and is used for foreign words, while Hiragana is used for Japanese words. I can read Hiragana, but not Katakana, so this took a while, but it was good practice. :)

Romaji - pronounced

Aado boui - aado boy
Furasshu gittsu - frash gits
gurecchun - grechun
komando - komando
mega nobu - mega nob
nobu - nob
ruuta - roota
pein boui - pain boy
tanku bassuta - tank bassta
uoobaika - uAO-bika
uoobosu - uAO-boss
uiaado boui - uIaado boy
sutoomu boui - stoom boy
ranto haado - ranto haado
oruku boui - oruk boy
baana boui - baana boy
biggu meku - big mek

kiraa kan - kira kan
defu doredo - def doredo
batoru wagon - batoru wagon
uoobagii - uWao-bagi
uootorakku - uWao-torakk
sukoocha - skoocha
torakku - torakk
rooteddo wagon - rootedo wagon

baana - baana
gurottoburasuta - grotto brasta
gurottozuuka - grottozooka
biggu shoota - big shoota
zappugan - zapp gan
surraga - sraga
sukoocha - skoocha
shokku atakkugan - shokk attack gan
robba - robba
rokitto rancha - rokitto rancha
kasutamu mega burasuta - kasutam mega brasta
kirukanon - kirukanon
kanon (furagu) - kanon (furag)
kanon (shieru) - kanon (shier)
defugan - defgan
dokaangan (boomgun) - dokaangan

The snazzgun and dakkagun ar missing. Dokaangun, while being closer to dakkagun than boomgun in pronunciation, in the rulebook, the dokaangun has the profile of the boomgun. Also, the Japanese are really big on their sounds. For example, kirakira is the sound of shiny or glitter. So, I wouldn't put it past them to change the 'boom' sound to their version, that quite possibly being Dokaan. I'll have to inquire at work.

A word on pronunciation - whenever you see an 'R.' To pronounce it, cross it between an 'R' and an 'L.' Easiest way to do it is to roll your tongue a single time. It doesn't really make the R sound or the L sound. Most of the time a 'U' is at the end of a word, it isn't pronounced. It isn't that it isn't there, you can just barely barely hear it when it's pronounced. I have a student named Gaku. I tend to pronounce it 'Gak-oo' but he pronounces it 'Gak.' In the middle of words, sometimes they are there, other times, not so much. Kind of depends on the word, me thinks.

Vowels that tend to be in a row are difficult to pronounce. For example, the word 'boui' for boy, is made up of three syllables. Bo - u - i. When 'u' is added to a syllable that ends with 'o' it means you pronounce the 'o' sound twice as long as you normally would. So, while I wrote 'boy' for the pronunciation, it's not quite right. It's longer and more drawn out, and the 'I' makes an 'ee' sound at the end, making it much like 'boy.'

War Boss becomes uoobosu. Which wouldn't really make sense, but Rs followed by another consonent doesn't get pronounced (My name is Carhart, and it's pronounced kaahaato). So, that applies here. So, 'uoo' or 'war' is pronounced that way I would say 'Waaagh' with a slight 'oo' sound at the beginning. That is, when I say 'waagh' I don't pronounce the 'gh' (at least not terrible much - vibration of the voice box, but I don't make the 'g' sound). So it's most like this: 'uWao-bos.' The word 'whiskey' has the same issue with the 'w,' wherein whiskey becomes 'uWiski.' But as I said before about 'u' it is only barely pronounced. But if isn't, it doesn't sound right.

So in a nutshell, it's a straight translation of foreign words into Katakana/Japanese pronunciation.

There's a Ghazghkull Thraka quote I'm going to have a coworker translate for me tomorrow, so I'll get back to everyone on that later.

"I'm da hand of Gork and Mork. Dey sent me to rouse up da boyz to crush and kill 'cos da boyz forgot what dere 'ere for.

I'm da profit of da Waaagh 'an whole worlds burn in my boot prints."

- Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka

The quote is mostly hiragana and kanji with a splatter of katakana.

Also, while there are GW stores here (and by here, I mean in and around Tokyo, and no where else), in most hobby stores in the country, Warhammer is hugely unknown. A few months back, I was on a pretty dedicated mission to find a store that sold Warhammer stuff without having to go to Tokyo. I travelled to three different cities over the course of a weekend in search of the indie retaillers listed on the GW-Japan website, paying for hotels and all that jazz, just to find most of the stores to either be shut down, or they didn't carry Warhammer stuff anymore. I saw some 4th Edition High Elf spearelves though in a dust covered show case hidden in a corner, painted worse than what I had. One of the store owners I could talk to said that table tap games are not well received in Japan unlike collectible card games/trading card games, which are huge. I found one store in my travels that did sell Warhammer stuff. It was called 'Yellow Submarine' It was a huge store with more card games and glass show cases for said cards than I'd ever seen in my life. The place was bright shiney white, smelled of daisies and had some jazz playing in the background. There were a dozen or so people around a few tables playing cards. In this store, there was a shelf approximately knee high that had the AoBR box, some paints, and a few other boxes. I bought half their stock - the starter box and the paints.

Now I have a bunch of crappily painted marines, each with a different color scheme (my College/High school colors and a variety of others). They are a part of the SM chapter 'Prideless Angels.'

And so, while Japan does have stores according to the GW-Japan website, it's a lie. Many of the stores listed either don't exist anymore or don't sell Warhammer stuff.

isaac
02-04-2009, 13:45
Thanks for the info