PDA

View Full Version : What scale are Chronopia models?

Hlokk
14-12-2005, 19:46
I only ask because I reckon these:

http://www.excelsiorentertainment.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/1172/categ_id/107/parent_ids/0,1,48,107/Name/Imperial_Regular_Assault_Force_(40)

would make really nice IG troopers

bertcom1
14-12-2005, 20:21
Says theyre 25mm scale, which should mean theyd look OK, but youd need to see them for real to compare them for yourself. I think they might look a bit off in mixed units with GW models, but no more off than Necromunda models do.

Wonder if anyone has some? I would also like them for non-Imperial human forces.

Griefbringer
14-12-2005, 20:26
Well, to start with those models in the picture are Warzone models, not Chronopia models. As for the scale of the Warzone models, they are nominally 28mm, though the oldest models tend to be bulkier than the newer ones.

As for those Imperial models that you linked to, I have the lot of them (a couple of them unpainted) and scalewise I think they should fit just perfectly for IG troops. Very nice models.

Just be aware that the conversion potential is slightly restricted due to the limited number of parts per model - the whole torso, legs and upper arms (down to elbows) are in one piece. Then there are forearms (right with weapon moulded on it, left one empty), head and the backpack (which has a pistol holster and flask attached at corners, but they are easy to cut out). Exception is the squad leader with pistol - he has both arms moulded on.

Griefbringer
14-12-2005, 20:52
I dug up my figures, and measuring they are pretty exactly 28mm in scale, and placed next to a plastic Catachan they stand up to the same size. However, the bulky equipment (helmet, shoulder pads, backpacks) makes them look more bulky.

Griefbringer
14-12-2005, 21:09
I tried to have a go with taking a few pictures for a side-by-side comparison - they did not work out very well (the first pics I took with this camera, and the environment was not ideal), but hopefully they will give some idea.

starlight
14-12-2005, 21:18
Looks pretty good to me.:D

Hlokk
18-12-2005, 14:08
I tried to have a go with taking a few pictures for a side-by-side comparison - they did not work out very well (the first pics I took with this camera, and the environment was not ideal), but hopefully they will give some idea.
Griefbringer, thanks for that, you're a god among men :D

General Samuel of the 101
18-12-2005, 19:46
The Assault-Cannon Thingy look weird for a I.G army but these are Cool models and cheap ones!

Griefbringer
19-12-2005, 10:28
That assault-cannon looking thingy is supposed to be a sort of multi-barreled (gatling) machine-gun - relatively common amongst WZ figures.

For 40K purposes, I guess it could be counted as a heavy bolter or heavy stubber. Anyway, one can always clip of some of the weapons and replace them with spare plastic ones from 40K kits (notice though that these WZ plastics do not take regular polystyrene glue due to the special plastic they are made - unless they have changed the plastic used lately). However, the rifles and the pistol should look good also in 40K.

There is also one metal model (colonel) that would make a good officer for a platoon of these guys, he is only listed as a part of a set ( http://www.excelsiorentertainment.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/478/categ_id/28/parent_ids/0,1,2,28/Name/Heroes_of_Legend:_Imperial_Personalities_(4) ) though I think you can also purchase him separately if you contact them.

For plastics, they also make the Bauhaus Ducal Militia:

http://www.excelsiorentertainment.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/1173/categ_id/15/parent_ids/0,1,4,15/Name/Bauhaus_Ducal_Militia_Assault_Force_(40)

This could also make for an interesting looking IG unit.

Crazy Harborc
19-12-2005, 20:41
In the good ol' days.........the scale/height of minies was measured from the sole of the foot to the top of the head....It wasn't a "law", soooo it could vary.

It's still not a law.

Griefbringer
20-12-2005, 10:03
If I ever got elected as The Benevolent Dictator And Enlightened Emperor Of The Whole Of Mankind, standardising the different ways to measure dimensions of miniatures would be on the top of the agenda.

Festus
20-12-2005, 10:23
Hi

In the good ol' days.........the scale/height of minies was measured from the sole of the foot to the top of the head....It wasn't a "law", soooo it could vary.
In the really good ol' days you measured a miniature figure from the sole to the eye, as military types often wear various headdresses which can make any other measurement hard to do.

If scale modellers use measurement like 25mm, 54mm or 120mm those are nearly almost always measured like that.

Many plastic scale modellers give a ratio nowadays for their miniatures (like 1:72 for 20mm or 1:35 for 54mm miniatures).

Back on topic: I do agree, the Warzone plastics make for very nice IG or Cult armies in WH40K.

Greetings
Festus

Mad Makz
20-12-2005, 23:25
I think with the slightly bulkier look that they'd probably be great as a squad of stormtroopers. That way their lack of poses would also be less problematic (as you wouldn't be making a whole army of them.)