PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnians and Halflings

Dazed and Confused
01-04-2009, 14:55
For fluff and modelling reasons, I want to include halflings in my bretonnian army, and obviously the standard rules won't let me. I am building an army based on the history of my heavily wooded county (Staffordshire), and am setting it in the Border Princes. I want some halflings living under the protection of the fuedal lord, as I seem to remember they are supposed to be excellent woodsmen (and we have LOADS of halflings here in Staffordshire, obviously). So firstly, do you think that fluff wise the idea is plausible?

Secondly, I understand why brets can't take DoW, but is there some way around this so i can take a unit of halflings and a hotpot? I could convert a giant hot pot and use it as a treb, but using the regular archer rules for halflings, who clearly couldn't handle a longbow, seems wrong.

Any ideas?

Bac5665
01-04-2009, 14:57
My ideas are to follow the rules. Halfings and peasants are basically the same thing rules wise. Haflings having longbows doesn't seem that bad too me, though the hot pot as a treb might be a little much.

rtunian
01-04-2009, 16:07
if you are talking about using models to represent different, legal, models, there really shouldn't be a problem with it. essenatially it is a matter of aesthetics. you prefer short peasants! i'd only be wary of doing so if your gaming group includes 1 or more jackasses, **********, or ass-hatters.

the only thing is that the base sizes have to be the same. like you can't use 25mm bases and say that they are "actually" units that would be on 20mm bases.

Charistoph
01-04-2009, 17:29
Secondly, I understand why brets can't take DoW, but is there some way around this so i can take a unit of halflings and a hotpot? I could convert a giant hot pot and use it as a treb, but using the regular archer rules for halflings, who clearly couldn't handle a longbow, seems wrong.

Any ideas?

Well, since the only bow that is apparently made or used in Bretonnia is the Longbow, you could always just have 1 Halfling be the Archer standing on the shoulders of another Halfling so he'd have the ground clearance...

WarlockOMork
01-04-2009, 17:45
Just make some Heavy use of the Counts as Rule.

Beyond that go for it, sounds very plausable to me, Yay for short peasants.

The Red Scourge
01-04-2009, 18:04
Halflings are like rats, they go wherever humans go. So feel free to do whatever you want, counts-as/DoW/whatever :)

dannyfave
01-04-2009, 18:24
I think it would work out better if you made them your skirmished unit of archers, fluffwise that is.

WhyNotCrashDifferently?
01-04-2009, 18:41
Halflings have always been reputed to be great archers, so don't worry about the longbow conundrum. Just chalk it up to skill.

I think this is a great idea and encourage using counts-as rules, even with the hotpot/trebuchet. I seriously doubt you'll ever face an opponent who'll oppose the idea. And if you do, throw a Bloodthirster at his face.

Dazed and Confused
01-04-2009, 18:45
Just to be clear, the trebu-pot would be a conversion, I wouldn't just stick a hotpot on the table and call it a treb!

But I'm all for pelting my detractors with greater daemons.

WarlockOMork
01-04-2009, 18:47
Recommend a Old full metal steam tank for that purpose instead tho, if your all for pelting any who oppose the reign of the Lil' fellows.

dannyfave
01-04-2009, 19:42
Honestly, a Changer of ways fell off of a shelf onto me, that did not feel good.

sulla
01-04-2009, 21:19

Any ideas?

Use the halflings as peasant archers, use the pot as their standard (may take a little converting) and the cook as your unit champ. Makes sense to me...:D

Woodsman
01-04-2009, 23:01
Well, since the only bow that is apparently made or used in Bretonnia is the Longbow, you could always just have 1 Halfling be the Archer standing on the shoulders of another Halfling so he'd have the ground clearance...

:D priceless: genuine laugh out loud moment.

It'd be great to field a lil hafling army - 1000 points. They're possibly my favourite models.

mweaver
02-04-2009, 02:37
I think it is an excellent idea! And I like WhyNotCrashDifferently?'s suggestion - chalk their surprising range w. their dinky bows up to skill.

Dai-Mongar
02-04-2009, 03:16
It shouldn't be too hard to rig a trebuchet with a hot pot payload instead of masonry. You could assume that it flings the whole pot at the enemy, which would probably hurt just as much as a rock.
Of course, you realise that you need to make halflings mounted on ponies to represent your yeomen... :D

Braad
02-04-2009, 10:15
Just ask your regulars if they would mind you using DOW units. If they don't mind, your all clear to go. If they do mind, find other regulars and your clear to go again :)

GW rules are not 'the law'. You can bend them if you like, just as long as the people you play with allow you to make that bend. I would just get the halflings and go with it.

Stuffburger
03-04-2009, 03:00
What braad said, ask if it's okay to run halflings (with halfling rules). If you're not at a tournament I'm sure most wouldn't mind, as long as there's 1-2 units max.

And have a back up counts-as list for people who want you to run a RAW bret list.

Cypher, the Emperor
03-04-2009, 06:27
Dogs of War were legal in the most recent Grand Tournament (France, I believe, along with Albion and Kislev).

But that aside, don't brettonians hate Halflings? I can't find a reference on Lexicanum or anything, but even so, they wouldn't fight with the Brets anyway. They are pretty died in the wool Empire citizens (they have an elector count), and the Moot is located inside of the bordes of the Empire (where almost all halflings are from).

Talonz
03-04-2009, 06:43
An even funkier counts as idea...

Run a grail reliquae as armored halflings protecting their chefs table/cauldron! great conversion/unit filler opportunities there.

Braad
03-04-2009, 09:01
Dogs of War were legal in the most recent Grand Tournament (France, I believe, along with Albion and Kislev)

The problem is that Bretonnia are not allowed to take any DOW if you go by the rules.

mweaver
03-04-2009, 12:41
Talonz's idea does sound like a lot of fun.

Chadjabdoul
03-04-2009, 12:52
Great idea. It's also very encouraging that almost every other poster seems to think so too.

Dazed and Confused
03-04-2009, 18:12
Dogs of War were legal in the most recent Grand Tournament (France, I believe, along with Albion and Kislev).

But that aside, don't brettonians hate Halflings? I can't find a reference on Lexicanum or anything, but even so, they wouldn't fight with the Brets anyway. They are pretty died in the wool Empire citizens (they have an elector count), and the Moot is located inside of the bordes of the Empire (where almost all halflings are from).

What? Who hates Halflings? What did they ever do to anybody?

Yeah I know they're all from the Moot originally, and those that are there are firmly Empire, but the Moot ain't that far from the Border Princes (although I appreciate there's a big old mountain range in the way) so I don't see why a few more intrepid ones won't have set out adventuring and eventually settled in my little fiefdom. All the fluff I can find suggests there are scattered villages throughout the Old World.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas everyone, I love the grail reliquae idea with the cauldron, and putting some on ponies as yeomen!