PDA

View Full Version : WotR/LotR question -- Stats for Smaug?

TwilightOdyssey
01-04-2009, 15:09
Hi all,

I'm primarily a 40K player who could not resist the aweseomeness of WotR; I have a book on preorder. :)

I was thinking that a fun first game scenario would be Smaug's taking of Lonely Mountain.

Does WotR have the stats for Smaug? Or is there a LotR supplement that does? Or perhaps there is another famous dragon's stats that I can use for Smaug as a "counts as"?

Any help would be appreciated!

Rirekon
01-04-2009, 15:18
There are stats for a Dragon (in the Angmar list I think) so you could probably use that to represent Smaug :)

Marauder
01-04-2009, 15:50
There are stats for a Dragon (in the Angmar list I think) so you could probably use that to represent Smaug :)

Its in the Misty Mountain List (the goblin one). So yes if you want smaug, some goblins and wargs you are set.

Rirekon
01-04-2009, 15:58
Its in the Misty Mountain List (the goblin one). So yes if you want smaug, some goblins and wargs you are set.

That's the one (I'm so bad with names) :)

TwilightOdyssey
01-04-2009, 17:23
Awesome! Thanks much!

Odin
01-04-2009, 17:27
Sounds like the best option for now. You can guarantee that there will be more options when the Hobbit movies are released, including a Smaug model and specific rules. But no need to wait that long really.

TwilightOdyssey
01-04-2009, 19:17
You think there would be anything wrong with using a WHFB dragon if I wanted something with a more dynamic pose than the LotR dragon? Or perhaps the black dragon from the Malekith box?

Rirekon
01-04-2009, 19:25
Outside of official tournaments (where they get a bit funny about mixing LotR and other-GW models) I see no problem with it :)

jaws900
02-04-2009, 07:38
Use a regualr dragon's profile and give him Fly and fire breath.

TwilightOdyssey
02-04-2009, 13:06
Thanks for the input thus far. My rules book is due to arrive tomorrow; can't wait to crack it open!!

Nilhouse
02-04-2009, 13:36
The one in War of the Ring is a seriously tough cookie, and it would take some real sacrifices to bring one down in any game. It is significantly tougher than the one in the Strategy Battles game in my opinion.

Fortunately it already has fire and a breath weapon, and you can upgrade it to a very powerful magician. If you felt like customizing the dragon more, the only other thing you might want to do is increase it's defense by one to represent Smaug's particularly tough hide.

Then again, I'm not sure if that is necessary. It will kill on average 6+ infantry or 3+ cavalry every turn just in hand to hand. It's breath weapon can easily do the same damage.

TwilightOdyssey
02-04-2009, 18:25
Thanks for the additional info, Nilhouse!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
02-04-2009, 20:21
You think there would be anything wrong with using a WHFB dragon if I wanted something with a more dynamic pose than the LotR dragon? Or perhaps the black dragon from the Malekith box?

I think that the dragons in fantasy would look to "cartoony" or too "not real" looking. If that makes any sense. I love the High Elf dragon in fantasy but i think that the lotr dragon better fits smaugh and / or glaurung and other nameless dragons. But thats just one man's opinion.