PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting dwarfs.

Alsharoth
01-04-2009, 18:05
OK I've been looking at collecting dwarfs as there in the skull pass box set ( Goblins will be my clubs first club army) but I have a question.
Whats the point total of the dwarfs in the box?
What are good units to expand the set with?

dannyfave
01-04-2009, 18:20
I would say to buy a box of warriors to add onto the unit from skull pass (12 is not nearly enough.... wait how many points are we talking about?)

I would definately say to get a lord on shieldbearers, some more warriors to make into longbeards, another cannon (I have a few, PM me) .... you really can't go wrong unless you buy a flame cannon.

I would buy a gyrocopter (they suck to build though) as they are most definately the most usefull unit for your army as they are great march blockers.

FictionalCharacter
01-04-2009, 18:24
two bfsp dwarf sets and a box of warriors will get you to a pretty easy 1000 points.

i wouldn't start with any less than that (unless you're playing warbands), because you really need two blocks of warriors to do much of anything other than get outmaneuvered.

dannyfave
01-04-2009, 18:27
And a Gyrocopter.:D

Kalist
01-04-2009, 19:23
#1 thing you need to do before jumping into dwarfs is buy the army book. Read it front to back a few times, see if you like their story, see if you like the models, and see if you like the playstyle. There are pretty much 4 parts of the game - movement, magic, shooting, and hand to hand. Dwarfs are good at hand to hand, great at shooting, and suck at movement and have zero magic. Read some of the battle reports dealing with dwarfs to see if they sound like the type of army you want to play.

SuperArchMegalon
01-04-2009, 19:29
#1 thing you need to do before jumping into dwarfs is buy the army book. Read it front to back a few times, see if you like their story, see if you like the models, and see if you like the playstyle. There are pretty much 4 parts of the game - movement, magic, shooting, and hand to hand. Dwarfs are good at hand to hand, great at shooting, and suck at movement and have zero magic. Read some of the battle reports dealing with dwarfs to see if they sound like the type of army you want to play.

Sticky this post. It applies to every army book, and half the topics on Warseer.

To TC: Dwarfs are a great niche army - if you like the feel of Dwarfs you will find there is a kinship among Dwarf players unlike any other. They aren't too powerful or weak, but they may not be a great "beginner" army if you're still looking to learn the game.

Leogun_91
01-04-2009, 19:45
Get yourself some hammerers, they are important for the hold and youīr characters and one of the best troops a dwarf can have. Myself I never leave hold without the masterrune of balance wich means a runesmith but that might not be what you want. Also replace the thunderers and cannon for something that has been around a while no proper longbeard would trust those things and neither should they. And remember there is nothing a cannon can do that a determined dwarf with a hammer canīt achive. Also you could send some members (hint me) PMs and ask if they have the old sourcebook Stone and Steel as PDF and can send it to you, their fluff is important you see.

Also check this forum out....itīs great for dwarfs http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/

WarlockOMork
01-04-2009, 20:01
Use the force er.. i mean search.

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129203

so 700 or so tops.

i personally recommend a Gyro or two (like most here probaly would)
I find the Anvil of doom also to be a good one. (so you can actualy head somewhere and actualy get there :p and Charge them or maybe even flank em)

selone
01-04-2009, 21:25
Indeed its about 500ish in BfSp depending on options, 2 boxes isn't a bad investment if you can get the dwarfs from them cheap. I used to play dwarf's a lot back in 5th, I'm not sure they've changed much. Dependable troops, lots of shooting, nothing else if you like their character you'll like playing them, if not I'd steer clear.

Alsharoth
02-04-2009, 06:29
OK so Gyrocopters are on the shopping list then.
Thanks for the help so far.

spadeanob
02-04-2009, 07:09
I would say to buy a box of warriors to add onto the unit from skull pass (12 is not nearly enough.... wait how many points are we talking about?)

I would definately say to get a lord on shieldbearers, some more warriors to make into longbeards, another cannon (I have a few, PM me) .... you really can't go wrong unless you buy a flame cannon.

I have a flame cannon :( Over the past few games I think I agree with this.

mr.kislev
02-04-2009, 10:40
gyro copters are good if you can handle taking 5 hours of work time so must glue on your hands that if you touch something and pull away you lose skin and of course the horrers of dropping the damn thing (i swear if a plastic one comes out i am buying 50)

WarlockOMork
02-04-2009, 10:48
still got two old(previous version) style, i swear the thing never ever broke or got damaged tough it has been dropped quite often. i think you could even just throw it at your opponent and it'd still be in one piece (tough you might not be if he managed to dodge).

Just Glue and pin it correctly. (tho ill give it to ya that most big metals require 3 arms to glue, (suggest using something to hold it in place for you)

mweaver
02-04-2009, 12:41
For miniatures for heroes and lords, have a mooch on eBay. Many of the old metal dwarves from the 80s and 90s show up there, mostly going fairly cheap (certainly compared to current prices for lord and hero models). Dwarf figures of that vintage have a lot of character.

Fallen Angel 31
02-04-2009, 14:10
Just Glue and pin it correctly. (tho ill give it to ya that most big metals require 3 arms to glue, (suggest using something to hold it in place for you)

I have been um'ing and ar'ing about the best way to do this (without drilling into the ends of my fingers again)... I've thinking of reinforcing the joins on the main rotor with a spare shield of two, the old flat ones with the riveted edge, not the new domed ones.

I'm also playing around with the concept of a one dwarf zeppelin style ballon to use as a proxy, just can't work out the "physics" behind it's manouverability. I.e. gyrocopter moves forwards, backwards, left, right... Zeppalin moves forwards, hovers and SLOWLY turns round in a HUGE arc.

dannyfave
02-04-2009, 16:43
I got the bitz for the old gyrocopter roter and put it on top of the new gyrocopter body...... I had built three of them for some of my friends, by the time it came to building my own I was like " well **** that! I am not building that roter again."

Alsharoth
02-04-2009, 17:15
I have been um'ing and ar'ing about the best way to do this (without drilling into the ends of my fingers again)... I've thinking of reinforcing the joins on the main rotor with a spare shield of two, the old flat ones with the riveted edge, not the new domed ones.

I'm also playing around with the concept of a one dwarf zeppelin style ballon to use as a proxy, just can't work out the "physics" behind it's manouverability. I.e. gyrocopter moves forwards, backwards, left, right... Zeppalin moves forwards, hovers and SLOWLY turns round in a HUGE arc.
They need big rotors to make it move quickly.
I'm getting Grombadil (SP?) with the subscription to white dwarf.
It can't be as bad as the 40k thunderfire cannon. I still get nightmare of the last one I built for someone.

perplexiti
02-04-2009, 18:23
I have a flame cannon :( Over the past few games I think I agree with this.

Well I like my flame cannon, it's come off for me most games when I take one.

But I agree with everyone about the gyrocopter it's pretty much essential, but it is a pain to put together.

Ironbreakers work well for me as well, gotta love that save.

MalusCalibur
02-04-2009, 21:11
Definetely get the army book before anything else, and start making selections as to what to buy from the information within.

Two pieces of advice, though. First, if you want Longbeards, get the metals. They are a lot more expensive, yes, but Warriors with the "Longbeard" options look like crap. They don't HAVE the titular long beards!
Second, if you want Hammerers, buy a Warrior box, and assemble them with Great Weapons. then, simply cut off the axe blades and replace them with hammer heads, as well as using the facemasks (and a shinier paint scheme) to make them stand out as elites. The reason for this is that the metal Hammerers are godawful, monoposed rubbish.

And yes, the Gyrocopter is a nightmare. I converted one in my Project Log, if you want to have a look, that made life a hell of a lot easier...

MalusCalibur

WarlockOMork
02-04-2009, 21:19
always hated the model, but love what you've done with the new gyro. (you've actualy found a way to make it look nice :) )

Dai-Mongar
02-04-2009, 21:39
I've never played with my flame cannon, and probably wouldn't have got one if it wasn't in a cheap online auction with a unit of hammerers plus characters.
I'd seriously consider getting an Anvil, they can be fun to combine with miners for surprise flank charges.

mweaver
02-04-2009, 22:28
In one of my first games of Warhammer, a unit of my orcs found themselves on the wrong end of a flamecannon.

OOOOoOOoOoOOOOO not pretty for the poor orcs.

MalusCalibur
03-04-2009, 15:02
In one of my first games of Warhammer, a unit of my orcs found themselves on the wrong end of a flamecannon.

OOOOoOOoOoOOOOO not pretty for the poor orcs.

That may be so, but the Flame Cannon is not a worthy choice overall. It's fantastic against O+G and Beastmen, but other than that...limited uses for it's cost. For the slot, and the points, an Organ Gun is a far better investment.

MalusCalibur

Alsharoth
05-04-2009, 17:08
ok so flame cannon is a nono.
whats the point of the grudge pony ?

WarlockOMork
05-04-2009, 17:08
its just for the scenario thats in the box. beyond that it has no use.

could be used for a conversion or such tho.

Edit: And no the flame cannon aint that great, except maybe vs hordes with low Ld, and even then they need to be comming near your cannon. (plus it takes up one of your rare spots, wich inmo kinda need to be filled with more usefull stuff, (Gyro, organ)

Leogun_91
06-04-2009, 08:01
ok so flame cannon is a nono.
whats the point of the grudge pony ?
It has two uses
1)It looks cool
2)It makes the Dwarfs slightly less masculine (they braid the hair of ponies)

SiNNiX
06-04-2009, 08:26
I feel like a jerk for not posting specific tactics on the forum, but I will let you know that you can PM me any time and we can set up a chat where I'll fill you in on all the tactics you'll ever need to make a tournament-worthy Dwarf army. I rarely ever lose with my 2,250pt Dwarf army and consider myself an afficionado when it comes to Dwarves. Have fun! It's a great army and like a previous poster pointed out, Dwarf players have a special bond of some sort that's hard to explain that's unlike any other players. I suppose it's partly due to our love of the race in general; it's kind of a pride thing and you'll find that alot of Dwarf players almost act just like Dwarves themselves!!! :cool:

SiNNiX
06-04-2009, 08:29
Oh, and I couldn't agree more about the flame cannon comments. Flame Cannons are almost to the point of being completely useless compared to Organ Guns. The Organ Gun, especially since the latest book's release, is one of the finest pieces of artillery an army can field and not taking one (much less 2 if you aren't a fan of the Gyrocopter) is considered a crime to veteran dwarf players.

P.S.: 10 Rangers behind forest or structure = brilliant march-blockers. There's my one piece of posted advice. PM me for the real deal. :)